Need Immediate Apt Advice - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Need Immediate Apt Advice

Last night there was a note on my door at my apt that said it has come to their attention that i have a pet in a non pet building and I have to get rid of them immediately. The complex I am in is pet friendly in the designated buildings but not ours.

We are moving out in just under 1 month into our new house. I am going to give a sob story that they were my grandma's dogs. She was in a nursing home but recently her alzheimers has progressed and she has been moved to a facility that wont allow them. And because I am the only family in the area and the pups know us we were forced to take them. We werent planning on this being an issue but the construction of our house has been pushed back a month so here we are. Do you guys think this will work? What would you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 11:55 AM
CHeYeNNe

I personally wouldn't worry about it if your moving in a months time. It would take them longer then that to evict you from the place not including the money involved. I would just tell them that your moving in a month anyways so do what they have to and leave it at that.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

oh and portions of this story are true. we are in the final stages of construction on our house that was pushed back. my grandma does have severe alzheimers and has been moved to a more intensive facility and there is no where for the pups to go.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 11:56 AM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

Don't bother with it. If you are moving out in less than a month then tell them you are sorry and the pets will be out of the apartment just as fast as you can put them in a new home. They can not force you out of the apartment for 2 reasons. 1- its winter and they would have to evict you in the spring and 2- by the time any legal proceeding would start let alone paperwork processed you would be leaving anyway. So either be nice to be nice or tell em to FO!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 11:57 AM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

how much of a security deposit do they have that they could hold?

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by CHeYeNNe
I personally wouldn't worry about it if your moving in a months time. It would take them longer then that to evict you from the place not including the money involved. I would just tell them that your moving in a month anyways so do what they have to and leave it at that.
The only possible problem to this is that in our lease there is a part that says if they give us numerous warnings about getting the pets out and they then give us the warning that they will remove them for us, they then have the ability to take the dogs.

Now remember, these are 2 puppies that are 10 and 12 pounds each. they are quite and well behaved. I would really hope that the office can look the other way for 1 month. Usually they are pretty nice about a lot of things.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 11:58 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

Check your contract!!!!!!! If they have a provision to fine you incase of a breach such as this then find someone to watch the animal for you till you get your house. Otherwise let them come after you.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

the security deposit is only $350. Not bad at all.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 11:59 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I would think it all depends on your landlord. If he/she is an old miser then you might have to find a home for the pups for a month. Also play up the holiday season. Ask for some leniency because of Chrismas. I would think that since its only for a month and you have a very good sob story. Good luck.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN

Last edited by Chills; 12-11-2003 at 12:02 PM.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 12:00 PM
CHeYeNNe

Quote:
Originally posted by 2weelpilot
how much of a security deposit do they have that they could hold?
They can't hold the security deposit if there is no damage done.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

I looked at the contract. They do not have the opportunity to fine us for breach but they can charge us for damage that is above normal wear and tear if they take a really close look at the carpets. I plan on shampooing the carpets before we leave either way so I am not sure how much they would find but that would be the only penalty they could get us on.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 12:20 PM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

If you are sure you will be out, they won't have time to evict you. They can keep your security deposit and depending on their rules & regulations they may be able to fine you for non-compliance. You should check their rules to see if there's any provisions for entering the property to alleviate a nuisance. If not, they won't have time to do anything but hassle you.

Be nice! Tell them the dogs will be gone as soon as you find a home and hope your home doesn't get delayed again.

p.s. I didn't see that you had already checked the rules. I think you'll be ok.

Dave
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 12:28 PM

I live in a no-pet condo. Strange...I own it, but can't have cats or dogs. Anyway, had many battles over the years, and it might be different for condo's but nothing ever panned out. It took months and months just to get a 2nd letter. In 1 month I for sure wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't say or admit anything. If you move out and never say a word about it, then they'd have a much tougher time proving anything on you. Don't give ANY confessions is what I've learned from my experiences.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by BIGGY
I live in a no-pet condo. Strange...I own it, but can't have cats or dogs. Anyway, had many battles over the years, and it might be different for condo's but nothing ever panned out. It took months and months just to get a 2nd letter. In 1 month I for sure wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't say or admit anything. If you move out and never say a word about it, then they'd have a much tougher time proving anything on you. Don't give ANY confessions is what I've learned from my experiences.
Ok fine dont give any confessions but what happens if they have already gone into the apt and to see if we did in fact have the pets in the first place and then sent us the letter?
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 12:46 PM

Sportbike: 99 Honda CBR600F4
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: Honda Sportsbike Network

Whatever you do, don't put anything in writing about the puppies.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 12:49 PM

Hmm, then let that be that...you can say they visited for a day. Dunno, in a condo no one can come in. Not sure about the apt deal.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye
Ok fine dont give any confessions but what happens if they have already gone into the apt and to see if we did in fact have the pets in the first place and then sent us the letter?
Does their rules or lease give them the right to enter the property at any time for any reason? This is generally a no-no.

Dave
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 01:17 PM

Quote:

Strange...I own it, but can't have cats or dogs.
Nothing strange about it! You signed a document agreeing to abide by their Declaration, Bylaws, and Rules & Regulations as passed by the Board when you purchased the property.

Welcome to condominium ownership!

Dave
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 01:21 PM

usually apt complex have a right to come in but they have to give you warning 1st. generally 24 hours. unless you call and complain that something is broken and they say, we'll have a service tech come look at it sometime this week, they don't have to give you a 24 hour warning. whether they came in and saw the dogs or not, you can say they were there only for a visit.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 01:28 PM
B.O.B

Sportbike: 'nana.
Years Riding: Look at my join date, ruh-tard.
How you found us: SBN?

Send a message via AIM to EndlessRR
Just tell em the pups are Christmas presents and they'll be out soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G
No one says you have to get drunk everytime you drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoodles
Isn't that like having sex and not finishing though?
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 01:30 PM

I live in a condo with a 40lb. weight limit on dogs, and you can only have one. Problem is, one of the ladies on the board has 2 dogs, one over 40lbs. There are also at least 6 units with dogs over 40lbs out of 126 units. The way I figure, if they would ever say anything to me, they would have to make all of the other units get rid of their dogs as well, or else they'd have a nice discrimination lawsuit on their hands. My puppy has been nothing but nice to the residents (no biting or barking, I clean up after him, etc.), so we'll see what happens.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BusaDave
Nothing strange about it! You signed a document agreeing to abide by their Declaration, Bylaws, and Rules & Regulations as passed by the Board when you purchased the property.

Welcome to condominium ownership!
No, it is strange. If we think about it on a more general level. It's my place...not just renting, but own, and I can't have a pet. Mine but not mine. I think many condo associations also reserve the right to buy your place if you're selling before you put it on the market. Hell in that case if I have to offer it to them first when selling, I would just jack the price way up...sorry this was
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 02:10 PM

Quote:
No, it is strange. If we think about it on a more general level. It's my place...not just renting, but own, and I can't have a pet. Mine but not mine. I think many condo associations also reserve the right to buy your place if you're selling before you put it on the market. Hell in that case if I have to offer it to them first when selling, I would just jack the price way up...sorry this was
Those are all things you agreed to when you purchased!

With right of first refusal, they have to sign off once you have a buyer and a price. You cannot just jack the price to them. They routinely waive that right of first refusal anyway. It just offers them a way to keep you from selling to an "undesirable" should they choose to act on it.

I don't understand what's so strange when you agreed to the deal. What is strange is purchasing a home/condo without understanding the deal.

Dave
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 02:15 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

As a former president of a condo association....the by-laws are there to control the residents from doing things that other residents would not appreciate. Ultimately, it comes down to property value and lifestyle.

Individually, you own the space between your unit walls...nothing else. I have two dogs myself, but if you think about it, dogs cause extra wear and tear on the common areas, they bark, and some people are just afraid of them and don't want to worry about passing a dog and it's owner in the hallway/elevator.

As far as selling....it's called the right of first refusal. You could jack your asking price up, but then it won't sell as fast if they pass it up. If you lower it to sell, they still have the right.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 02:18 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Dave beat me to it....sounds like you're not too sure what you got yourself into.

They can fine you to death....that is their power. You can let the fines pile up, but eventually when it;s time to sell you HAVE to pay or the title company will not close the deal. The association must sign off on the deal.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 02:52 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
By law, management has to give you 24 hours' notice if they intend to enter your (rental) apartment (unless there is some sort of "emergency"). Since you're moving in a month, I wouldn't worry about it. By the time they carry eviction proceedings to the point where they can force you out, you'll be gone.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 03:08 PM
To Punish and Enslave

Sportbike: A 10 speed :(
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: I know the dude that runs the website

Send a message via AIM to Jimbo Send a message via Yahoo to Jimbo
CHeYeNNe is right. I live in the town north of you and my Apt complex has the same set up as you. It took the complex 5 to 6 months to kick a person out for the same reason. And you can also say you had a friend come over and he brought his dog with, maybe that's why people hear a dog once in a while. And if you find out who told on you, have the dog pee and crap in thier place.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
hahahaha, nice try. Everyone knows men age like wine and women age like milk. It's a scientific fact!!
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

well, i spoke with the front office and explained "my circumstances". They were very cool about it. Since we are in a special situation, the front office was going to explain this to the lady who complained and since we are only her a few more weeks it was most likely going to be just fine.

So it seems as though we are in the clear. Thank god. I was very surprised how willing the office was to help out. I wouldnt think that a apt company would be so nice but I am happy.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 05:04 PM

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

Ignore and avoid 101.

Also, they can't take a dime of your sec dep unless you actually damage something. Damage doesn't mean dirty carpet and nail holes in the wall. In IL you have the right as a tenant to hang pictures and walk on your carpet.

I love all these places that claim part of your security deposit to pay their cleaning people to prep the place for the next renters. Painting, cleaning, cleaning range burners, its all normal wear and tear and not billable.

In Chicago the landlord even needs to pay you interest on that money. I'm not sure about the rest of IL.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 09:34 PM

Speaking of odd things in the contract, I once rented a place where the landlord had provisions in the contract that said no parties (seemed standard) and no walking on the roof (kinda odd). However, he explained that he had actually had problems with that before. He was a cool landlord though.

Glad to hear your landlord was cool.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode