I want this race on VHS or DVD - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 10:46 AM
Grasshopper

I want this race on VHS or DVD

Does anyone have this on tape from 2001 when Steve Rapp crashed his Ducati 996 on the front straight at Road America.

I'll come get it, pay you for it, by dinner and beer.

I have called and talked to Clear Channel and tried to contact Speed Channel and have had no luck.

Someone has to have this on tape.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 10:50 AM

Sportbike: 2002
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: sbn- ran into 20bikes riding

i've seen the video clip on the internet . do a google search for steve rapp crash.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 10:54 AM

How did Steve fair from that crash? did he walk away? did he get hit by any of the other riders?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
sure its not from 2000? I thought most teams(including mladin) had switched from the SRAD gixxer750 for the 2001 season, though I am pretty sure they ran the SRAD in 2000 despite the new model being out. anyone have a thought on this?

Chris
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 11:05 AM
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye
How did Steve fair from that crash? did he walk away? did he get hit by any of the other riders?
They red flagged the race. He got on his back up bike and placed in the top 5

It mite have been in 2000. Yea I think it was in 2000 because that was the first year I went to Elkhart Lake for the AMA races.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye

Steve hopped to his feet and ran back to the pits for his back up motorcycle. Steve not only finished a credible 7th by race end, but was able to compete the next day.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Grasshopper
They red flagged the race. He got on his back up bike and placed in the top 5

It mite have been in 2000. Yea I think it was in 2000 because that was the first year I went to Elkhart Lake for the AMA races.
Unreal!!!!! I am always amazed at motorcycle racers that hit the pavement at over 100 mph, get up and walk it off and/or jump back on their bike. Whereas, a baseball player gets a skinned knee and he is out for 2 weeks on injured reserve. Bikers rule. Baseball pussies suck!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vcook
sure its not from 2000? I thought most teams(including mladin) had switched from the SRAD gixxer750 for the 2001 season, though I am pretty sure they ran the SRAD in 2000 despite the new model being out. anyone have a thought on this?
found this which says they were on the GSXR750:
More GSX-Rs followed the original 750; an 1100, then a 600. New versions appeared year after year, and some proved nearly as revolutionary as the first. In 1996, Suzuki unveiled an all-new 750 with a liquid-cooled engine and twin-spar aluminum frame. Lighter than some of its competitors by 40-plus pounds, the new GSX-R ruled Supersport racing. With the help of Aussie Mat Mladin, this GSX-R claimed back-to-back AMA Superbike Championships in 1999 and 2000. If that wasn't enough, the smallest GSX-R won its share of AMA 600cc Supersport races, and a championship in 1998. Under the care of Team Valvoline Suzuki, the big 1100 won a long string of WERA National Endurance Championships.

and this cool article from old, old soup:

Post-Revolution: What 1999 Wrought
2000 AMA Superbike Series Preview
by dean adams
Jan 2000
So, you say you want a revolution? Well, you know, we all want to change the world. For AMA Superbike, the 1999 season was a watershed era, one that focused more eyes on AMA roadracing than at any time in the past thirty-odd years. 1999 was the year the series stopped being a small feeder industry that riders used to bridge themselves between their club racing heydays and their first year in World Superbike and became a true world class series on many levels. The Japanese factories poured millions of dollars into their AMA Superbike programs, attracted world class talent from abroad to compliment that which was already here, and stepped back. The inferno that followed consumed men, machines and bales of dollar bills at a voracious rate. Just to show the entire planet that this ain't some kind of lemonade stand in the middle of a dusty prairie, at the annual World Superbike race last July, two of our best, Ducati mounted Anthony Gobert and Ben Bostrom, bitch-slapped the World Superbike community hard by beating all comers at Laguna Seca. Even Sir Carl Fogarty of Ducati had nothing for those two seemingly lowly AMA Superbike riders last July.

For the domestic championship, in the end just one man was left standing--Australian Mat Mladin. The Yoshimura Suzuki pilot won the 1999 AMA Superbike championship by doing what he does best: being smarter and more ruthless than the other guy. The other guys almost had no chance: Mladin's long-time rival, Anthony Gobert, self-destructed, Miguel DuHamel (Honda) won Daytona on a still-healing broken leg, broke it again at Road Atlanta and sat out the rest of the season. Ben Bostrom tried hard to make it two in a row for the championship but lost it at Mid-Ohio with a mechanical and a tire problem at Colorado. Unhappy with the way Mladin won the title, Bostrom sat stewing in the off-season--until Ducati decided not to hire Troy Corser for the World Superbike team and instead hired Bostrom. His future is so bright he has to wear welding goggles.

On the other side of the future spectrum, Anthony Gobert, probably the most talented man to ever race bikes and one of the very best riders in the world, is currently a couch pilot back in Oz, his career in shambles. He's the Superbike equivalent of Babe Ruth: beer belly stretching the seams of his leathers, urine test before each round to prove he wasn't out smoking cannabis, but still able to point to the stands and hit home runs seemingly at will. Sixty years later we learn that Ruth was hung over if not drunk at times when he played ball, liked to hang out with females who got paid to do the wild thing and lived a fairly testosterone-filled existence, but the press back then must have forgotten to report it. Gobert, as he has lamented several times, was just born in the wrong era. And he can display the work ethic of a sloth now and then, which doesn't help matters.

Will he be back? Of course, Bimota seems keen to hire him for their 2000 World Superbike, ah, effort. Will he win again? Undoubtedly.

Are there about fifty people on this planet who know Tony G well and pray that his shenanigans off track don't put him in a body bag way before his time? Yes.

The AMA paddock is constantly evolving, the old bark being stripped away to reveal young wood underneath. Honda's World and AMA Superbike championship winning RC45, the most dominant Honda Superbike of all time, has gone the way of the Mastodon. Erion Honda rider Kurtis Roberts (second son of the King) will ride the old V-four a few times this season, but Honda's focus in 2000 World and AMA Superbike will be on their new V-Twin powered if-you-can't beat-them-join-them RC51. HRC rolled out one at the Daytona tire test at Daytona in December and with DuHamel squeezing and twisting assorted parts, he lapped at 1:51, just a tick off what race pace was for the Daytona 200 last year. The built by HRC (Honda Racing Corp) RC51 that Honda unloaded at the Speedway was said to be the third generation of the prototype; meaning they have done their homework on this one. It doesn't overheat, shell engine cases or bend valves, and everybody smiles when they get off it. Ride another Superbike, do you? Be afraid, very afraid.

DuHamel still leads the AMA Superbike win list and is the A rider at Honda. At 33 he shows no signs of slowing down, which may be comforting to both his banker, and orthopedic surgeon. He's had two massive leg-shattering crashes in the last two years, falls that have seen him go under the knife more than five times. Some doubt he will be fast again; those same people should take a nice long ride on the clue train. DuHamel's a fighter, a brawler and has more desire to win than half the riders in the paddock. Some riders, after they gain some wins a million or so dollars and world renown, they get soft and start cruising. Yet, Wayne Rainey didn't, Eddie Lawson didn't and Kevin Schwantz didn't. And neither will Miggy. He'll be an old man with a walker foot-racing our grandchildren on the sidewalk in front of the old folks home. And winning lunch money from them.

DuHamel's understudy at Honda is eighteen year old Nicky Hayden, phenom of the series for the past two years and current Pro Honda Oils 600 Supersport champion. The middle Hayden brother did something last year that neither Eddie Lawson nor Wayne Rainey did in their careers: he won a dirt track national before turning full-time to Superbike. Hayden is young, fast and smart, and has already been racing for fifteen years. His talent and motivation are clear, but what's little known about him is his stellar sense of humor. And his ability to miss a massive amount of high school and presumably still graduate. Those who know say Hayden will be racing in a world championship series within two years.

An interesting sidebar to the American Honda team is the mentors of their two Superbike riders: Miguel's racer father, Yvon, a hero from the seventies at Kawasaki, shadows his boy at the track like a student loan bill collector. And behind young master Hayden is none other than blood and guts Gary Nixon, 1967 AMA champion. Old man DuHamel and Nixon were rivals and team-mates twenty five years ago or so at Team Hansen Kawasaki.

Over at Team Green, Kawasaki have split with Rob Muzzy, and have taken their race team in house in the very capable hands of ex-DuHamel mechanic Al Ludington and three time Superbike champion Doug Chandler's main man, Gary Medley. Chandler and the Kawasaki, one of the oldest and still carburated combos in the paddock were thought to be finished last year and ready for the glue factory. In response Chandler took the ZX7R and won three races on it. Old age and treachery

Muzzy is feigning that he's going to concentrate on his aftermarket pipe business and a drag race program for Kawasaki, and is finished with roadarcing, closing the door with fifty odd wins and eight titles. Allow me to translate that from Rob-speak to plain English: that means he'll be racing Harley Superbikes next year.

Yoshimura Suzuki will use 1998 Superbikes in 1999, basing that in part on the if it ain't broke don't fix it adage. Mladin is still the man to beat and he'll use just about any means necessary to achieve his goals. That doesn't play well at times in the new PC racing era, but it's real hard to argue with his results. Jason Pridmore and Aaron Yates (the latter who spent 1999 cashing big checks on a Kawasaki) will be Mladin's teammates. This rendition of the Yoshimura team is sort of a cataclysmic mix of old and new: the engines are still built by Yoshimura, so mid range power is there, it's just that it only lasts for three hundred rpm, just like Pops Yoshimura's old mills; but many of the engine components come direct from Suzuki's race department and together they stay together longer than any ever did in the past. With this kind of a mix, great riders, reliability and known equipment, this could be the makings of a racing dynasty.

At the only real American race team in the Superbike paddock, Harley-Davidson, they continue to incite emotion. The moment one is convinced that they've lost the plot and the bike is woefully un-competitive, they'll pull a front row qualifying position or second place in a race to tug at your heartstrings. Pascal Picotte drilled two second place finishes last season on the VR1000, and really almost won the last round at Colorado. Weirdly enough, Scott Russell, formerly known as Mr. Daytona as per his five wins at the Speedway, is left playing second fiddle to the Canadian. Can the World Superbike and AMA Superbike champion save himself and his career in time? There was a time when losing to Scott Russell was like drinking boiling water or so it seemed from his response to second place trophies. No matter what Russell's opinion is on the team or the bike he agreed to ride, he has to realize that winning on that bike will make him a true racing legend.

The most eagerly anticipated Yamaha Superbike in many years landed state-side at Road Atlanta last year and the Yamaha YZF R7 is a brilliant motorcycle needing just a little more help from Japan to make it among the best. Yamaha will get that this year, thus riders Jamie Hacking and Tommy Hayden should be at the front and winning soon. Former Yamaha Superbike man Rich Oliver moves back to the 250 ranks to run his own team, which he prefers anyway.

With Gobert banished and Bostrom the elder off to Europe, the Vance and Hines Ducati team has Steve Rapp and Australian newbie Troy Bayliss as their squad for 2000. Working man Bayliss had never seen Daytona before he hunched down behind the Vance and Hines Ducati last December, but left the test as fast man and confessed that he couldn't allow himself to be intimidated by 180mph and steep banking as he has a wife and kids to feed. Mladin picks him as one of his rivals for the AMA Superbike championship.

The series that Mladin and the gang will contest loses rounds at Phoenix International Raceway, Willow Springs and Las Vegas Motor Speedway for 2000, but the AMA have scheduled double rounds at Road America, Mid-Ohio and at Road Atlanta to make up for those losses. Meaning that there will be Superbike races on both Saturday and Sunday at each of those Superbike dates. More good news: Chevy Trucks is now the series sponsor, and has some special things in store for Superbike fans and competitors. The AMA race at Laguna Seca, held for years in April, is replaced there by some NASCAR race; the AMA round will be held on the same weekend as the July World Superbike race. ENDS

Sidebar: Personality Deficit

When the 2000 AMA Superbike series kicks off in March at Daytona, it will be without some of the more colorful and quotable members of the paddock.

Rob Muzzy, a legend in Superbike racing, has split with Kawasaki and will not enter any motorcycles in Superbike this year (at least that's the plan as of this writing). Muzzy will concentrate on building his signature exhaust line and other projects in 2000, including intriguingly enough, a firm he calls Muzzy Motorcycles, Inc.

Eraldo Ferracci will have some Superbike involvement but it won't be with his AMA and World Superbike championship winning team, Fast by Ferracci Ducati. Ducati scaled their effort back to one AMA Superbike team in 2000 and Vance and Hines got that nod. Ferracci may build engines for the proposed Competition Accessories Ducati team, new for 2000 (with Larry Pegram as rider). For one of the greatest racing families in Superbike, plans for the future are being made, especially with MV Agusta (Ferracci and company are the US importers) but for now the Ferracci family are still reeling from the death of Eraldo's youngest son, Anthony, who died in a streetbike accident last summer. The grand old man of racing, who did more to establish Ducati in America in the 1990s than any other person, will be back.

Tom Kipp's name has always stood for integrity and being fan friendly, but 2000 thus far sees him ride-less. Kipp had offers to continue his Supersport career but the four-time Supersport champion wants to ride a bike without DOT tires on it, like a Superbike for instance. For now he waits for an opening and is building his machine shop in Mentor, Ohio.

Steve Crevier, the merry prankster of the paddock, felt his job at Yoshimura Suzuki was toast back in April. It seems he was correct. Honda Canada stepped up and hired him to ride an RC51 Superbike in the Canadian series for 2000 and he may show up at some AMA races as well. Like maybe at Daytona on an Erion Honda CBR600F4 Supersport bike.

ENDS

Last edited by phozed; 12-12-2003 at 11:21 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 11:23 AM
Grasshopper

So who has it on Tape?

Anyone?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 11:31 AM
Human lawn dart

Sportbike: 03 ninja 6r 05 ttr-230 04 klx300r
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: I know all

Send a message via AIM to rdrash
here it is

http://www.des-west.com/cbrcolin/_video/

3rd one from the bottom

I'm not short. I'm aerodynamically efficient.

Anti Helmet Laws Pro Darwinism
MotoGP 200 mph no roll cage
NESBA # 599
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 11:35 AM

Sportbike: 2002
How you found us: sbn- ran into 20bikes riding

I was just going to post that ^
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 11:40 AM
Grasshopper

I love you guys man!

I am so fukin happy that I have that clip now.

Bad Ass

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 08:14 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
HOLY SHIT!! Damn, that looked BAD. His high side also there didn't look good either!

Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 01:41 PM

I was just doing a Road America search and found this thread.

I do have the whole race on tape, but looks like you got the clip of the crash already.

Pretty wicked looking. I talked to Rapp at Brainerd after that crash and he said that not a single thing was salvageable on the bike!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode