Help with MiniDV Camcorder Editing.. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Help with MiniDV Camcorder Editing..

I want to edit 5-6 hours video taken on my Sony MinDV and then tranfer it to VHS/DVD.

I tried hooking it up to the coomputervia the USB connection and I installed the software it came with, but the video is not transferring.

I guess what I am asking is can someone please explain to me the basics steps in downloading my video onto the PC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 08:13 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

is your computer recognizing the camera??? you should see a icon down in the bottom tray telling you its reading it, and make sure the camera is in the play position

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 08:25 PM

John,

If there was ever a better reason to buy a Mac, this is it. I have a Sony miniDV that just plugs into my mac and works out of the box. Still not being able to convince anyone to actually buy one however, I'd suggest trying the following stuff:

1. You mentioned that you tried to connect it via USB. My Sony Handycam TRV-22 has both USB and firewire (iLink or IEEE1394). The USB is only used to transfer STILL pictures from the memory card (if you have it) or to use your camera as the worlds most expensive webcam. You will need to connect your camera via FireWire (Apple's name), iLink (Sony's name), or IEEE1394 (geeky engineer assigned name). This is the ONLY way of importing video to your computer. If you do not have any of the abovementioned ports on your pc, then you will need a PCI card that does. I bought one for my PC for 20 bucks a couple years ago (before switching to the dark side of Mac ownership).

2. I have had problems importing video on my old PC. In fact, i never made it work. It was probably because of the POS card i bought. I heard that some cards don't like to work with certain cameras etc. My girlfriend has firewire on her new laptop and has had no trouble getting video in from my sony.

3. What program are you using? I use Final Cut Express (mac only) and Amanda uses some cheap program that came with her laptop. I think it's windows movie maker... It works, but isn't nearly as powerful as Final Cut (free vs. $300). For a PC, i'd suggest getting a decent editing program and actually learning how to use it. Otherwise, you'll be doomed for life using the shitty cheap programs that abound for pc. I actually have one of those programs that came with my DVD burner for work. I'll mail it to ya if you want as i don't edit much video at work Programs i'd suggest if you want to ever get somewhat serious would be Adobe's Premiere for $600, Avid's Express DV v3.5 for only $1599. I used premiere and initially found it very hard to use. Avid will be the same, but pro programs can have a steep learning curve. Avid rocks, actually, but for that money it better damn well do that There are some programs for PC that are around $300, but i don't know myself which are any good. I heard Apple has actually the best bang for the buck with their Final Cut Express. BTW the program i have is made by ULEAD and the program i have is DVD Movie Factory 2SE. Again, i'll send it to ya if you want it. I won't even charge ya, you sexy bitch .

Ok, to sum up this book I wrote... Buy a firewire cable. Your camera did not come with one (WTF Sony?). Get an editing program (you'll need it to actually control the camera and import your video clips). Finally, PM when you have problems. I'm always helpful with geeky video and photo problems

You can call me on my cell at 630-915-9973. In fact, it would be easier, because we could discuss this stuff a lot quicker than pm'ing each other back and forth. I'll be in chicago between the 23rd and 28th, so if you're really stuck i can come by and help you with it some evening....
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 08:26 PM

BTW 1 hour of video will be about 12GB. So, for 6 hours, you'll need an 80GB hard disk to actually house all the clips. Ain't video great?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

That makes sense...I thionk I need to get that Firewire cable. I'll have to take a closer look at my PC tomorrow.

80gb ouch....I think that is my max.

Thanks so far...I'll need more help.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 05:10 PM
Got my new Ride......

Sportbike: YZ250, GSX-R750 K1, ZX-7R (RIP)
Years Riding: Since I was about 10 yrs old
How you found us: JimGoFast

Hey John:

If your PC has a Firewire port, you should already have that cable around somewhere. My PC came with one, and my Cannon ZR65 came with one.

I have used the Movie Maker that comes with Windows XP - Its nothing fancy, but it works no problem. And unless your are planning on recording the video back to tape, I don't think you are gonna need 80 Gig.

I also have Pinnacle Studio - which I think is supposed to be pretty good (as far as the less expensive software). I just have been too lasy to install it and try it out !

- Sam
NESBA #749
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 12:53 AM

selston,

DV video runs about 11-12 gigs per hour. John said he has 5-6 hours. If he imports all the video he will need the 80gigs. Once you import, you also need room for any stuff that gets rendered, extra audio, etc. I have two external 120GB drives that do double duty as data backups and media drives. If you can spring for it, i highly recommend an extra disk, internal or external, dedicated to video. Video editing runs the crap out of a drive and will kill it faster than normal use. I've been using the internal drive on my mac sparingly, as i don't want the video stuff to toast the drive the OS is on.

If he's selective in what video he chooses to import, he can then save a lot of disk space. Most programs allow you to control your camera through fire wire, just like watching a VCR. As long as he's selective from the beginning, he'll probably get rid of 80% of what was shot. I generally import only some of what i shoot and then edit it down further. I can spend just as much time importing clips as I do actually editing what i imported. I can't say importing is the fun part of editing, but a necessary evil

As far as the Microsoft Movie Maker, my girfriend does like using it and hasn't had much trouble with it. For straight editing, those kinds of programs are ok. For really trying to get serious about editing you need to spend some cash and get a decent program. I'm just scratching the surface of Final Cut myself. The whole program was quite daunting at first, but now i'm starting to get decent at it and are taking advantage of all the cool stuff it can do. Editing the audio tracks, doing picture-in-picture, color correction, etc. is awesome. I'd like to get into video professionally at some point, so i found an excuse to spend money on a more expensive program, which works just like Apple's pro app, Final Cut Pro. I can upgrade to it someday for the low, low price of $700 For a PC user, i highly recommend Avid software. For the pc it's absolutely awesome (minus it's awesome price, as well).

Last edited by HondaHirny; 12-14-2003 at 01:03 AM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 10:52 AM
Man with Big Hose

Sportbike: '01 Track only GSXR 600. No more street riding :(
Years Riding: Pick a number between 1 and 10? Opps now 1 and 11
How you found us: Champ91 in 2002

Send a message via AIM to Pugsly Send a message via MSN to Pugsly
i use pinaacle studio for my editing, VERY simple and I can now edit, add titles, tranistions, music, voice overlays. I use a firewire cord and card that i had to buy seperatly.

That Boy Just Ain't Right
CCS #414
PARTS411.COM
Lockhart Phillips USA

NESBA #414 Advanced
2001 GSXR 600
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 01:20 PM
Grand Master Crash

Sportbike: none for now
Years Riding: ...classified...
How you found us: My psychic advisor told me about it

Honda has some good advice

I play around with video editing myself (myself, DanO, and a few other friends set out to make an "extreme bike video" - back before crashing was cool...)

Depending on what you're trying to put together, Honda is right - you will edit out a LOT of that video. I'm sure your case is different - but when I was still trying to edit together some of our stunt footage, I'd get about ~3-5 minutes of useable footage for every hour's worth of tape.

I started off using a "borrowed" copy of Adobe Premiere. High-end, professional grade program (with a professional grade price.) Once we started getting serious about maybe actually selling copies of the video, I figured it'd be a good idea to OWN a copy of the software I was using. I went out and purchased a copy of MediaStudio Pro by Ulead. Was less than half the cost of Premiere, was less buggy, and just as powerful. I tell you I have yet to even scratch the surface of this programs capabilities. 3d titling, bluescreen, pretty much anything you would want to do, can be done.

This is all, of course, if you're trying to do it on a PC. If you have a Mac (or are going to buy one for this purpose), I've heard (just as Honda has stated) that FCP is pretty much the shiz-nit.

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 06:06 PM

FCP is absolutely awesomoe. Final Cut Express sells for $300 and does most of what the pro version does. The limitation is that FCE only handles DV, while Pro will do virtually any format. Since i plan on sticking with DV equipment for a long time, FCE will do just fine. Many people have used Final Cut Pro to make projects as lanrge as feature length films and for $1000 program that's pretty huge. Final Cut and Photoshop are now optimized for the new G5 processor and pretty much whoop any PC when it comes to running tasks pertaining to those programs. I need to pay of them credit cards before i go out and spend 2 large on a new system.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 10:02 PM
Got my new Ride......

Sportbike: YZ250, GSX-R750 K1, ZX-7R (RIP)
Years Riding: Since I was about 10 yrs old
How you found us: JimGoFast

Quote:
Originally posted by HondaHirny
selston,

DV video runs about 11-12 gigs per hour.... Most programs allow you to control your camera through fire wire, just like watching a VCR.
You are probably right about the general numbers - its just that when I choose to import files, the MovieMaker prompts you to indicate what you plan to do with the imported video. It you choose the simpliest of the three options, it doesn't seem to take up that much space (but maybe I didn't look closely enough !!). I also selective grab stuff off the camcorder.

Quote:
For straight editing, those kinds of programs are ok. .... I'd like to get into video professionally at some point, so i found an excuse to spend money on a more expensive program, ...
I agree - I just figured John is like a lot of us and simply wants to do some basic editing & slap together some footage quickly. Since the more simple software packages are easy to quickly master (and are probably already on your computer), they are often a good choice to do the job.

You've got to post some of your stuff sometime so we can check it out !!

- Sam
NESBA #749
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Alright....here's where I am at. Thanks for all the great help so far....Martin I'll give you a call as soon as I get another chance to play around with it. You should stop buy anyway and say hello while in town.

My desktop doesn't have any of those connections, but my laptop does. I bought the Sony Ilink cord last night and connected it to my laptop....it recognized it right away and opened windows movie maker. I tried the importing function and nothing happened, but I really didn't have a chance to play around with it too much. I also bought some $50 video editing software; figure I'll give it a shot since it was on sale.

One ?....my laptop also has an S-video connection....can I transfer video this way or is it just an output to a monitor connection?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
Originally posted by Kruz

One ?....my laptop also has an S-video connection....can I transfer video this way or is it just an output to a monitor connection?
its for output.

Chris
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Thats what I figured
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 02:23 PM

when you import, you need to have the camera in VCR mode. It will not let you import otherwise....

Yeah, the S-Video is an output on your laptop. The idea behing s-video for editing, is to allow you to view what you're working on a broadcast monitor which is color calibrated. This way, you'll see your creating just as a person watching it on their tv would. This is recommended, as your computer screen is not supposed to be used for details such as color correction. I say supposed to, becasue i haven't blown a grand on a monitor myself. I've calibrated my CRT as best as i can and just run with it. It works ok for now. BTW the svideo on your cam can be used to transfer analog to digital intantly. You can use that camcorder to capture video from your tv, vcr, or dvd. This only works on the trv-22 and 33. The 19 doesn't have the analog to digital bridge. I haven't used the feature yet, but it's like having tivo and not paying for it. The downside is the cabling and the computer you need to make the recording happen. It's not an elegant solution, but good for the occasional recording.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 02:00 AM

i didn't read all that stuff so forgive me if i repeat anything.

i have a miniDV cam and we have over 300 gig of our stunt videos. here is what i have as a setup:

panasonic 203 miniDV cam.
firewire card and cable
i/o dvd burner
vegas video 4.0 editing software

it works great. i get all the video onto my comptuer then put it on dvd so it doesnt' bog my hard drive. i only have a 40 gig hard drive so if i need video i flip through my dvd's that are labeled and pull one out.

my fire wire card was purchased online (can't think of the site) but it was 14.95 and it came with the cable too.
dvd burner was 200$

when you buy your camera it usually comes with software and the USB cable, so it works with any computer, but it takes a while with USB. with fire wire it's real time as it's playing and goes so much faster. definately worth the 14.95 i spent on it.

PM me or hit me up with an e-mail if you need help finding one.

just remembered, i'm sure it was www.newegg.com that i purchased it from
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Last night I was able to start my video editing.... I bought some Magix video editing software and it's pretty good so far from what I can tell.

I went through about an hour of tape and cut out what I wanted.

Thanks all for the help....

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 01:31 PM

The CLSB family to the rescue!!! Nice to see a happy ending. Always glad to help. John, PM your address if you get a chance. I'll try to swing by when i'm there next week. I'll need your number too....

I'll try to borrow one of the parents' cars to drive in the evenings, otherwise just send a limo full of strippers for me
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
...Nice to see a happy ending....
you need to stop hanging out in those shady massage parlors.

Chris
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vcook
you need to stop hanging out in those shady massage parlors.
Where else am I going to have my Junk waxed? Gotta look good ya know. I'm trying to give the Fab 5 a run for their money in the next edition of Queer Eye For The Straight Guy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode