Hey OTB.... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Hey OTB....

Do you know any of the AOA MC Guys or the real history of?

If my history is correct, they are the original 1%, no?

I am going back and forth with a cat on another forum about it and figured if anyone knew this, it would be you

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 11:52 AM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

As to what club can actually claim to be the first to have latched onto the 1%er designation is debatable. There are alot of west coast clubs that make that claim. AOA (AKA Charlie or Smiling Charlie or Chicago Outlaws or just "The Outlaws") are certainly the first club to adopt the 1% In this area.
Their history has been somewhat revised over the years to suit their needs and self image but the reality is that the Outlaws were on the verge of becoming a full on AMA chartered club at one time. They started as a group of young motorcycle enthusiasts who named themselves the Chicago Outlaws Motorcycle Club (C.O.M.C) to mimic the B.R.M.C in the movie "The Wild One". The Skull with cross pistons known today as "Smiling Charlie" was adapted directly from the movie (some Outlaws today would dispute this but the real oldtimers admit to it).
Those kids had to contend with the McCook Outlaws which were a rough blue collar group who called themselves outlaws because they didn't charter or sanction with the AMA and at some point in time the two clubs merged. They were a pretty clean cut crew overall...there was a time they didn't just have colors per se, they actually had uniforms with pressed black slacks with a crease and white piping around the pockets and shirts to match with pearl snap buttons. A Former president wanted to take the club in the direction of being completely legit and to sponsor races and such but a more wild and actual outlaw type faction emerged in the early to mid 60's and took control and that led to the club as it exists today. The actual split that led to "The Outlaws" as they are today happened gradually...that's why you'll see photos of Outlaws on BMW's and Triumphs and competing in AMA races. The more "clean cut" group eventually formed a club called "The Overheads" but, they faded over the years as other clubs like the Ridgewood Cycle Association and Gasoline Cowboys absorbed the "motorcyclists" and the "Bikeriders" (AKA "Bikers" after the term became universal from all the movies) became what they are today.
That's just off the top of my head from being told these things by guys who actually lived through it. I don't have all the details and I'm sure some will dispute it, mainly because they have a need to maintain some kind of mystique but that's pretty close to the truth as I believe it.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 12:23 PM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

Can't always trust self-promotion, but it's an interesting read nevertheless.

http://www.outlawsmc.com/

I particularly enjoy going through the "Forever Chapter" section and trying to imagine what some of those cats were like in their day. The nicknames alone are worth it.

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Bug

Yeah I spent some time on that site but wasn't sure

My morning was also consumed by watching a Doc on the '02 HA vs Mongols "riot" in Laughlin NV at the River Run - Funny how Mr. Ghostbusters of all people was right in the middle of it

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 02:03 PM

Sportbike: SUPERMOTO & DIRTY 450rr CR525af
Years Riding: few
How you found us: SOME JCAT

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by equalz View Post
Support your local 81!
Ha - I forgot you knew some Rats and HAs

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 03:04 PM

I always remain neutral and I would advise that when both Charley and 81 are around at the same event flying their colors...head for points elsewhere because it won't take much for more than fur to be flyin' and you don't want to end up a "collateral casualty"!

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 10:10 PM

One story I was told about the club that I found especially interesting was that they'd promote "races" on public roads. They didn't bother to get permission of any kind, they'd just set a date, start place and time and run en masse to their designated end point. No sanction or rules to speak of. Just show up, pay the entry fee that went into the winners prize (usually 40%...the rest went to pay for the beer at the end) and run what you brung... even helmets and leathers were optional
One of their favorite race routes was down Higgins road from Harlem Avenue to Busse woods where they'd throw a big party. Everyone racing would line up on Harlem and when the flag came down it was every rider for himself and the first one into Busse woods was the winner. This was back before the Kennedy and before the Tollway...O'Hare was nothing more than a small airstrip in an orchard (Midway was Chicago's only commercial airport at the time) and that whole area was farms, woods and orchards. They'd send blockers out about 10 minutes before the race started to block any traffic that might be at the few intersections along the route and the shit was ON!
I have to admit that this sounds like it must have been crazy fun!...Absolutely insane but, FUN!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode