talk of gun control propagates legeslation like this warrentless wire tappin - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
#40 expert

Sportbike: gsxr600
Years Riding: 40+ years started at four (My dad still rides Motocross at 80)
How you found us: nesba.com

talk of gun control propagates legeslation like this warrentless wire tappin

http://gizmodo.com/5971743/senate-ap...ne-tapping-law

And Obama will sign that shit

DESIGN-ENGINE|EDUCATION
Pro/ENGINEER training ZX6R CCS Expert #40 #1 plate holder
http://design-engine.com/category/racing/ RACE BLOG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 11:24 AM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

I'm not sure how talk of talk of gun control caused this. This has been pending long before Sandy Hook and is just an extension of Bush era laws. 73/23 seems pretty bipartisan. I don't care who is in office, big brother wants to know what you are up to and the right is at least as guilty in this as the left.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 09:54 PM

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

Reminds me of a piece I heard on NPR last week. The person who was being interviewed was really neutral, he wasn't for new laws just for the sake of having them. His angle was actually supporting no new gun laws, instead he was pushing more mental health programs. He brought up a really good point on how once upon a time not too long ago, say 20 yrs ago that the NRA was pro-gun of course but had an aura about them that championed safety and owning a gun as a privilege. They never said it but you got the message that having a gun was a responsibility that was not for everyone. Almost as though they didn't want everyone to have them. Primarily ownership was hunters and target shooters.
This is pretty much how my dad brought me up when I started shooting at 8yrs old. More recently the NRA has gone bat shit and linked themselves with the tea party types, wearing guns to political speeches and crap like that. The NRA has become political, this in my opinion puts them in a bad light and makes them look like a fringe group. The idea of teachers packing in every class room didn't help either. I am a proud gun owner and have no problem with sensible laws such as instant background checks at gun shows. If they can swipe a credit card to see if you are over the limit I do not see why they cannot do a background check as quick on the spot. However shit like magazine limits is just stupid. When I shot casual competition I could do a mag change on my 45 and be back on target in less than 2 seconds. Just my opinion.

Under200

Last edited by under200; 12-28-2012 at 09:57 PM.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 01:58 AM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

^^^All due respect but your observations are very skewed. The NRA has ALWAYS been VERY political. It was what has made them the most sucessful citizen special interest group in history to this very day. While I think that Mr. LaPierre's delivery of the NRA message in the wake of Sandyhook last week left much to be desired, much of what he said and proposed had already been brought up from several different participants of the conversation. The news coverage also left much to be desired and they siezed on the protesters and Mr. La Pierre's less than stellar ability to speak publicly to demonize the NRA just as they are going all out to demonize ALL gun owners and enthusiasts right now. They think they smell blood and are not going to let this "crisis" go to waste.
To say that the NRA ever implied that the second amendment was "selective" would be a complete misreading and miscalculation of where they were coming from in the past and now.
You are correct that the NRA always emphasized gun safety and responsibility but I fail to see where they have abandoned that as you seem to. What I see is a leadership that has gone defensive and I, as a member am going to speak up loud and clear that it is imperative that the NRA get back on the offensive and actively and vigorously oppose ALL of these wild attempts to take our most precious of liberties away from us...Yes...That's what I said...The second amendment is BY FAR the most precious of liberties granted to us by the forefathers and framers of this nation...It's there for the purpose of protecting the FIRST amendment and ALL of the ensuing rights and liberties that we're guaranteed!

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 06:08 AM

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
^^^All due respect but your observations are very skewed. The NRA has ALWAYS been VERY political. It was what has made them the most sucessful citizen special interest group in history to this very day. While I think that Mr. LaPierre's delivery of the NRA message in the wake of Sandyhook last week left much to be desired, much of what he said and proposed had already been brought up from several different participants of the conversation. endment and ALL of the ensuing rights and liberties that we're guaranteed!
I understand your point and agree to an extent, maybe I said it wrong. Of course the NRA has a lobby and is political but over the last 20 yrs or so they have made the mistake of being associated with one party rather than being neutral. At least in the common mans eyes it looks this way. In all fairness there are NRA members in both parties and plenty of gun owners who are not members too. By choosing a side politically they build up animosity among the "side" they are not seen with. Personally I think not choosing a side is more beneficial and allows both political parties to want to work with you to earn your vote. Chose one party and when they hit a rough patch or lose seats your power drops too. Why would any group want to shun support based on political affiliation?

Under200
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 11:59 AM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by under200 View Post
I understand your point and agree to an extent, maybe I said it wrong. Of course the NRA has a lobby and is political but over the last 20 yrs or so they have made the mistake of being associated with one party rather than being neutral. At least in the common mans eyes it looks this way. In all fairness there are NRA members in both parties and plenty of gun owners who are not members too. By choosing a side politically they build up animosity among the "side" they are not seen with. Personally I think not choosing a side is more beneficial and allows both political parties to want to work with you to earn your vote. Chose one party and when they hit a rough patch or lose seats your power drops too. Why would any group want to shun support based on political affiliation?
What you say has truth to it but I would point out it wasn't the NRA that made the choice. It was thrust upon them. They have proven over the years that they will work with anyone who supports their mission, party affiliation notwithstanding. It's the party (with the help of the media) that's distanced itself from the NRA...not the opposite.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
#40 expert

Sportbike: gsxr600
Years Riding: 40+ years started at four (My dad still rides Motocross at 80)
How you found us: nesba.com

one of my clients developed special software that would grep out specific words from telephone conversations. It works at or above the NOC level and plugs directly into DNS100. Legally he had to move to Canada in order to work on this hardware/software.... until the patriot act approval. Then he could move back to the United States. Although not quite wire taping...... They were searching for words like 'bomb' 'drugs' etc and looking at patterns of words. They created some smart software. Weather it's leagal or not they still gona do it. You just hire another country to do it.

DESIGN-ENGINE|EDUCATION
Pro/ENGINEER training ZX6R CCS Expert #40 #1 plate holder
http://design-engine.com/category/racing/ RACE BLOG

Last edited by design-engine; 01-05-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode