MBA...worth it? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks

MBA...worth it?

Was reading WSJ this morning and came across some shocking statistics.

Quote:
For MBA graduates with minimal experience—three years or less—median pay was $53,900 in 2012, down 4.6% from 2007-08, according to an analysis conducted for The Wall Street Journal by PayScale.com. Pay fell at 62% of the 186 schools examined.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...=ITP_pageone_0

Being in IT/Business, my pay scale is different. But the logical step for me to take is to go for an MBA as a long term strategy.

Sometimes I wonder if it is worth it to spend the 75-100k for the degree.

This is sad for all the young people looking for an higher education.

You better be nice to America or we will bring democracy to your country.

Last edited by Gone In 3; 01-07-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 01:29 PM
DONATING MEMBER

Sportbike: Trackdayz "I" bike!
Years Riding: since last year
How you found us: In a fortune cookie

You cannot put a price on knowledge and education.

------->> Best motorcycle shop ever!

http://www.chicagoperformance.com/
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Wisconsin FIB

Sportbike: Speed Triple 06 Blue
Years Riding: Since June 2002
How you found us: Pilotx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone In 3 View Post
Was reading WSJ this morning and came across some shocking statistics.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...=ITP_pageone_0

Being in IT/Business, my pay scale is different. But the logical step for me to take is to go for an MBA as a long term strategy.

Sometimes I wonder if it is worth it to spend the 75-100k for the degree.

This is sad for all the young people looking for an higher education.
If you're currently working.....have your company pay for the degree. It will cost you something, but probably worth it in the long term. I'm not sure an MBA is as financially worth it as it once was, but when looking for a new job a higher degree is always beneficial.

Edit:// And depending on which school you go to, how you take classes etc, I doubt it will cost more than $45K
post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 01:52 PM
A.K.A. Vodka Waters

Sportbike: '06 GSX-R600 Red/Black
Years Riding: a few weeks
How you found us: Fell asleep on the keyboard, woke up here

Send a message via AIM to muddy Send a message via MSN to muddy
I would look to see what kind of financial support your company can give. That’s the biggest reason I’m working on mine right now (finish in 7 weeks!!). From what I’ve been hearing, an MBA in today’s world is about the equivalent of a college degree 5-10 years ago – almost becoming needed to move up in a company. The statistics you posted are probably correct, over educated and under experienced people are having a tough time getting a job and making the big monies like they may have a while back but in the long run, it will definitely help out. My sister has been looking for a job since graduating in may and she got her MBA directly following her undergrad (both in marketing) and just over Christimas has landed a paid internship. Sticking around for an MBA right out of school is becoming the trend, but experience is still what gets you the money.

The other think to keep in mind is how specific is your undergrad. My undergrad was in mechanical engineering so about 95% of my courses were engineering based – meaning I didn’t see much outside of the engineering buildings and my business knowledge was minimal at best. By getting the MBA, it rounds out your education and background if you undergrad degree didn’t afford you that opportunity. Before I could design products, now I can market them, provide a sales strategy, understand market research, account for the financials, and write a business plan around said products. Opening your abilities up to things outside of your immediate responsibilities not only makes you a bigger asset for a company, but you will know for yourself how your company works and make more informed decisions about your career moving forward.

Overall, I would say it’s worth it if you can have someone pay for it. It might even be worth looking for a company that will pay for it as it could save you up to a year’s salary worth of debt.

Adam
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
I would look to see what kind of financial support your company can give. That’s the biggest reason I’m working on mine right now (finish in 7 weeks!!). From what I’ve been hearing, an MBA in today’s world is about the equivalent of a college degree 5-10 years ago – almost becoming needed to move up in a company. The statistics you posted are probably correct, over educated and under experienced people are having a tough time getting a job and making the big monies like they may have a while back but in the long run, it will definitely help out. My sister has been looking for a job since graduating in may and she got her MBA directly following her undergrad (both in marketing) and just over Christimas has landed a paid internship. Sticking around for an MBA right out of school is becoming the trend, but experience is still what gets you the money.

The other think to keep in mind is how specific is your undergrad. My undergrad was in mechanical engineering so about 95% of my courses were engineering based – meaning I didn’t see much outside of the engineering buildings and my business knowledge was minimal at best. By getting the MBA, it rounds out your education and background if you undergrad degree didn’t afford you that opportunity. Before I could design products, now I can market them, provide a sales strategy, understand market research, account for the financials, and write a business plan around said products. Opening your abilities up to things outside of your immediate responsibilities not only makes you a bigger asset for a company, but you will know for yourself how your company works and make more informed decisions about your career moving forward.

Overall, I would say it’s worth it if you can have someone pay for it. It might even be worth looking for a company that will pay for it as it could save you up to a year’s salary worth of debt.
It's a good thing I delayed writing a post, because this is pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 02:41 PM

Sportbike: 600rr
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: From friends

IMO, yes, an MBA is worth it. That's coming from a guy that has an MBA.

Here's the thing, as you pointed out...experience. I worked 2 jobs at 16 until I turned 18, then went full time literally the day of my birthday. Went to college, played college hockey, CONTINUED to work full-time (yeah, people ask me how I did it...it's easy, when you don't watch TV and you're not lazy).

Anyway, even at a young age, I had management experience, plus a lot of real world experience since I had been working since 16. Thus, my MBA is an addition an asset to that.

However, I did my MBA with a kid I also played college hockey with. His parents were wealthy and he never worked.

He joked about 6 months after we graduated, that he couldn't even get a job at Enterprise Rental Car. Yeah...well, when you have no experience, nobody really wants to hire you + they won't pay you for what you're not worth. A degree is an asset, as I said, but only when it's tied with experience.

Peter Katowicz
State Farm® - Agent
108 E Lake St. Unit 2
Bloomingdale, IL 60108
Office: (630) 980-9809
Fax: (630) 980-9858
[email protected]
www.PeterIsMyAgent.com

Benjamin Franklin - “It is a strange anomaly that men should be careful to insure their houses, their ships, and their merchandise, and yet neglect to insure their lives”.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 02:42 PM

Sportbike: 600rr
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: From friends

Just read Muddy's comments. He's right on. We share the same thoughts on this.

Peter Katowicz
State Farm® - Agent
108 E Lake St. Unit 2
Bloomingdale, IL 60108
Office: (630) 980-9809
Fax: (630) 980-9858
[email protected]
www.PeterIsMyAgent.com

Benjamin Franklin - “It is a strange anomaly that men should be careful to insure their houses, their ships, and their merchandise, and yet neglect to insure their lives”.
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Somehow I feel that the median pay of $53,900 includes grads who are unemployed/underemployed.

There's no way it could be that low.

post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Clever Girl

Quote:
Somehow I feel that the median pay of $53,900 includes grads who are unemployed/underemployed.

There's no way it could be that low.
I'm guessing it also takes into the saturation of 'MBA' schools out now.

A MBA from a reputable school will/should net more money than the 'Get your MBA in 3.7 days by simply attending 3 class shit."

Quote:
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 03:16 PM
SV650N

Sportbike: 2005 SV650SN
Years Riding: Since 1980
How you found us: craigslist

Here's the unspoken part about MBAs: the networking.

Getting you in front of fellow classmates and sharing the pain/trials with them makes for some valuable allies in the workplace. Everyone wants to hire those that they know (or 'know' because of same school affiliation) and this can't be underestimated for impact in career.

Last edited by crashomon; 01-07-2013 at 03:43 PM.
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 04:10 PM

Sportbike: 2010 Yamaha R1
Years Riding: 4
How you found us: Google

Send a message via Skype™ to drozek
It is about who you know nowadays
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

I have one. It depends what you want out of your business life.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 04:48 PM

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by drozek View Post
Has it ever not been?

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drozek View Post
Net Income = What you know ^ Who you know

post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 10:18 PM

Sportbike: '03 SV 650S turned Nakid, '13 Empulse R
Years Riding: Enough

Starting pay is a lot different than middle career pay. At the Fed, having a graduate degree only gets you ~$52k in Chicago, but that is usually a ladder up to $75k in two years, or $90k in three depending on what field you go into. However, the only difference between having an MBA or just an undergrad is the MBA starts higher. Both usually end up at the same full pay. I have no incentive to get an MBA because of this.

I'll add that most of the MBAs I know are far worse than the non-MBAs as far as productivity go, though. I suppose the fed tends to get better undergrads, but worse graduate degree workers, so take my perspective with a grain of salt.

Sean
03 SV650
13 Empulse R
05 Mazdaspeed Miata
13 JSW TDI

It is far better to be thought of as a smartass than an dumbass. And as American Humorist Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumbass question will inevitably appear smartassed". - Bob Hall (creator of the Miata)
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 11:19 PM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Performance View Post
You cannot put a price on knowledge and education.

But Gone in 3 will still go to Waco, Texas and drink the koolaid.
post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 11:19 PM

Sportbike: 08 Suzuki GSXR600, 06 GSXR1000
Years Riding: Sponsored by Suzuki for 6 years.
How you found us: Fred from Sportbikes.net

Skip the MBA and start a motorcycle shop....that's where all the money is

100K the first year....those sportbike riders love paying retail for products and never price shop the internet to save $2.

That's the move you need to take.....Ken...back me up here...you're the only baller still in Chicago making all the money...share a little of that will ya

Kevin Hanson
Safety First Racing
Louisville, KY
[email protected]
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 09:14 AM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

If your undergrad degree is in Engineering, then the MBA will certainly open doors and lead to increased pay in the future.

People who think logically and understand finance/time value of money are in demand.

Craig
post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beac83 View Post
If your undergrad degree is in Engineering, then the MBA will certainly open doors and lead to increased pay in the future.

People who think logically and understand finance/time value of money are in demand.
I did my undergrad in Finance.

post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 09:29 AM
DONATING MEMBER

Sportbike: Trackdayz "I" bike!
Years Riding: since last year
How you found us: In a fortune cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety First View Post
Skip the MBA and start a motorcycle shop....that's where all the money is

100K the first year....those sportbike riders love paying retail for products and never price shop the internet to save $2.

That's the move you need to take.....Ken...back me up here...you're the only baller still in Chicago making all the money...share a little of that will ya

Dude it's crazy now. I am told by my suppliers that I do quite a bit of business compared to most of the others, yet I can barely pay my bills. I have no idea how others are staying in business. This needs to change soon, or I'm gonna either work in healthcare or government. Need more money, just raise prices!

------->> Best motorcycle shop ever!

http://www.chicagoperformance.com/
post #21 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Clever Girl

Quote:
I did my undergrad in Finance.
Then get a Masters in Engineering?

Quote:
post #22 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Then get a Masters in Engineering?
By the logic of NOT gate?

post #23 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 11:31 AM

Sportbike: I don't ride
How you found us: google

I'm an MBA and it's served me well in my career.

<---- Useless Mufugga
post #24 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 04:51 PM

Sportbike: 2012 Ducati M696

Lots of good info in here. The networking opportunities are great. Just think long and hard about the ROI you can get from in. Everybody would love to go to northwestern or Booth, but not everyone is going to land a job that will cover the 100k In loans you'll walk away with. My roommate started at booth a year ago getting 100 percent tuition covered by his company. Couple of months ago they pulled out the rug from under him and the rest of tuition will be on him. Hell finish with 80k in loans, and before this all started his dream was to work for a non profit. That won't happen now.
post #25 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitrogen View Post
Lots of good info in here. The networking opportunities are great. Just think long and hard about the ROI you can get from in. Everybody would love to go to northwestern or Booth, but not everyone is going to land a job that will cover the 100k In loans you'll walk away with. My roommate started at booth a year ago getting 100 percent tuition covered by his company. Couple of months ago they pulled out the rug from under him and the rest of tuition will be on him. Hell finish with 80k in loans, and before this all started his dream was to work for a non profit. That won't happen now.
100%? What company is that??

post #26 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 04:58 PM

Another aspect to consider is the timing of it all. I'm still pretty early in my professional career, an MBA isn't neccessary for me to make my next step. But it will be in the future, and who knows if ill have the time then. Even at DePaul, the time commitment on top of working full time gets really tough to manage sometimes, but I'm in a good position because I've got nothing else to worry about. No kids or wife. I can get this done now instead of the future when my time is divided even further.
post #27 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Us Cellular. His tuition reimbursement probably had a big part
n their decision to change their policy, something like 11k a trimester.

My other buddy is at booth too, with 100 percent tuition reimbursement, he works for Private Bank.
post #28 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Clever Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitrogen View Post
Us Cellular. His tuition reimbursement probably had a big part
n their decision to change their policy, something like 11k a trimester.

My other buddy is at booth too, with 100 percent tuition reimbursement, he works for Private Bank.
Buddy of mine went to Booth with 100% reimbursement... and was told it definitely affected his future raises at the company, which to me is pretty understandable when you get a $100k education for free. Not sure how long he is required to stay though.

Quote:
post #29 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di
Years Riding: I thought I was getting the hang of it...back to the basics.
How you found us: mentioned on svrider.com

Send a message via Yahoo to gsd656
Quote:
Be careful about the 100% reimbursement. Dont get me wrong, it is great, but the IRS caps the reimbursement amount for it to be tax free. if the reimbursement amount exceeds that, the company is free to do so, but it will end up costing the company or you if not both some tax money. IMO it is still worth it to the employee, but one needs to be aware of the tax consequences.

Greg

post #30 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd656 View Post
Be careful about the 100% reimbursement. Dont get me wrong, it is great, but the IRS caps the reimbursement amount for it to be tax free. if the reimbursement amount exceeds that, the company is free to do so, but it will end up costing the company or you if not both some tax money. IMO it is still worth it to the employee, but one needs to be aware of the tax consequences.
The friend I mentioned at the bank swears up and down he doesnt have to pay the taxes on it. He gets pretty vague about why, so I'm waiting for the day that the IRS comes and gets him.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode