Printing Photos - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Printing Photos

Ok all you photo guys. I want to make sure my printer is good enough to print good photos before I go out and buy a better digital camera.

I have a HP 6110 all in one, Its brand new, and I have tried printing some picutres on the sample photo paper they send you. They came out ok but not exactly awesome.

1st question: Would an actual photo cartridge make a big difference over the normal color catridge?

What mega pix do I need to be able to make nice looking 8x10's on this printer?

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 02:14 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

Having the right material/printer is the key to good photos, I have a canon s820 and it uses photo ink and produces some really kick ass photos all the way up to 8x11. and thats from my 1.3megapixel camera!! and dont cheap out on paper good paper does make a difference!

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Thats the same camera I have. I'm gonna have to go get a hew printer head tonight and try this. Is the HP papaer fine, or is there something better I should be trying?

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 02:18 PM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

My camera is 4.1 mp although I must suck at setting it up because nothing seems super clear. My HP printer does a nice job. I went with HP because even though the cartridges are more $$ they all have new print hedas on them. It seemed important when printing a lot of pics. I think the photo catridge mixes like a million different colors and a reg color one doesnt mix nearly that

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Cool in fact one of the pics I was talking about was from your camera. it came out OK but could have been better, I'm thinking a new head on my printer would make it better.

- Ronald Reagan

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 02:24 PM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

There are a few things to get better prints:
  • Use a good photo-quality paper. Even the plain matte finish uses a higer quality paper than standard printer paper.
  • Print a proof and adjust your monitor so that it looks similar to the photo so you can tell what it will look like on the printer while you edit.
  • Adjust your photos for good high-contrast content.

Dave
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 02:24 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

I dont know much about the hp paper, i use canons photo paper pro, looks as good as from the photo shop. hp's cartridges are expensive?? mine are like 12 bucks for each one and there are 6 of them in the printer. I just recently had to replace them.

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 02:28 PM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

Quote:
Originally posted by JimGoFast
hp's cartridges are expensive?? mine are like 12 bucks for each one and there are 6 of them in the printer. I just recently had to replace them.
Mine has 3 color black and photo and theyre about 30-33 bones each

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 03:54 PM

Tony,

I have a nice Epson Photo 960 and it rocks on glossy paper. You print the same pic on plain paper and be ready to dissapoint. Paper makes a HUGE difference. Also, when you print, be sure you deselct "high-speed" or any of that stuff. I find that enabling high resolution on the printer and disabling any time-saving feature gives the best quality, at the cost of additional print time....
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 05:15 PM

I run the 6110 and it prints photo's just fine. The photo cartridge does seem to make a difference, as does the original photo resolution...but I do 8x11 prints with my 3.2 megapix camera just fine.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 12:21 AM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Get Kodak paper and the photo cartridge. You will get great prints up to 8.5x11. Make sure that if you go to that size, your pictures are saved at a minimum 3.2 meg resolution. I have a slightly older HP 2210 and the output is great. We basically never shoot 35mm any more or go to an outside (Wolf) printer. Did I hear you say you were looking at the new Canon Digital Rebel 6.2 meg SLR?

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 11:29 AM
Man with Big Hose

Sportbike: '01 Track only GSXR 600. No more street riding :(
Years Riding: Pick a number between 1 and 10? Opps now 1 and 11
How you found us: Champ91 in 2002

Send a message via AIM to Pugsly Send a message via MSN to Pugsly
i have a HP 7960 photo printer and have to say it's good for a photo printer but not even nearl;y as good as the photo processing online. I use the HP photo tricolor and the photo black/grey cartrige, But when I want a good 5x7 or 8x10 i use Kodak Online photo precessing for $.24 a 4x6, $.89 for a 5x7 and $2.29 for a 8x10. The quality is near 35 mm quality!!!!!! (i go throgh costco's website).

I use a Canon Digital Rebel (LOVE it, but must use the full manual mode because the Auto mode sucks at indors picrures even with the flash!) they use a way too high apeture and to slow shutter speed to get clear shots in auto, I lower the apature and raise the shutter speed and get some good shots of my son

That Boy Just Ain't Right
CCS #414
PARTS411.COM
Lockhart Phillips USA

NESBA #414 Advanced
2001 GSXR 600
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 11:35 AM

Sportbike: 06 CBR600RR
Years Riding: bought my first street bike in 2000
How you found us: SBN

I have the sony dsc p10 (5 MP) and I print 8 X 10's with no problems at all on a HP photosmart 7550. i also use the HP premium plus photo paper, glossy. i tried the everyday paper...but the quality sucks with that.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
Originally posted by Pugsly
... I use the HP photo tricolor and the photo black/grey cartrige, But when I want a good 5x7 or 8x10 i use Kodak Online photo precessing for $.24 a 4x6, $.89 for a 5x7 and $2.29 for a 8x10. The quality is near 35 mm quality!!!!!! (i go throgh costco's website)....
interesting! can you give more info on how you get them the files and how you recieve the photos after they are processed? thanks!

Chris
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 01:42 PM
To Punish and Enslave

Sportbike: A 10 speed :(
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: I know the dude that runs the website

Send a message via AIM to Jimbo Send a message via Yahoo to Jimbo
Hey dude, we got a Canon i850, it's made for photo making. It's borderless and pics are wonderful. You probably remember me telling you Stace works at a camera store part time and she's into this, does it on the side. The one guy she works with is doing our wedding and is using a digital camera for most of it. Fuji probably makes the best Digital cameras and they have a camera where the Nikon lenses will work with it. If you want a good all around digital camera, Pentex makes a great digital camera too. If you want me to get more info, let me know. I'm not sure about HP printers I think they are more of an everyday/multi use printers. If you are getting a new camera, I might be able to set you up with someone who does this for a living and get some advise, or I can ask him for you. Another thing I know, a lot of the pro's don't like Kodak cameras to much. Fuji has been in the Digital business the longest I think. Also a tip, all the cameras advertise t.v. aren't the best.

Last edited by Jimbo; 12-17-2003 at 02:07 PM.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 05:23 PM
Man with Big Hose

Sportbike: '01 Track only GSXR 600. No more street riding :(
Years Riding: Pick a number between 1 and 10? Opps now 1 and 11
How you found us: Champ91 in 2002

Send a message via AIM to Pugsly Send a message via MSN to Pugsly
Quote:
Originally posted by Vcook
interesting! can you give more info on how you get them the files and how you recieve the photos after they are processed? thanks!
Very simple, once you registar/logon on, there is a tab that syas " upload pictures from my computer, you cansave up to 400 photos for 6 months. you can do some bascis editing, cropping there too, I take normal 4x6 horizontal (landscape) photos and crop them for 5x7 verticle and vice versa.

once you decide on the size for each picture you want, (you don't have to purchase all of your uploaded files) you click the size you want, pay for them and they mail them to you in about 5 days or so.

That Boy Just Ain't Right
CCS #414
PARTS411.COM
Lockhart Phillips USA

NESBA #414 Advanced
2001 GSXR 600
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 05:43 PM
Grand Master Crash

Sportbike: none for now
Years Riding: ...classified...
How you found us: My psychic advisor told me about it

Hey Tony,

If the pics aren't coming out right - make sure you have all the right options checked in your printer's preferences first.

I have an old Epson printer, and it prints AWESOME pictures WITHOUT the photo cartridge. You just need to adjust the printer properties (should be in the same place where to tell the printer what paper you're using.) Make sure it's set to "Photo" or the highest quality, etc.

Personally, I don't know how much the photo cartridge will help for quality. The colors will probably be better, but the quality will probably stay the same.

Jim

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode