Traveling to Germany - Help! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: CBR 1000RR
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: Stumbled upon the site

Traveling to Germany - Help!

My wife and I have been to Europe once before (Madrid & Rome) and loved it. She found some good airfare for a trip in April to Germany so we're going to book one. My question is, which of the three places listed below should we go?! We're planning on spending 6 days total.

Dusseldorf - Do stuff there then take a train to either Cologne, Germany or else to Amsterdam

Munich - Do stuff there then take train to Austria?

Berlin - Do stuff there and not sure where we can get by train

Anyone have experience with any or all of these places? We probably wont go back to Germany for a very long time so we want to get the full experience in the short time we'll be there. Ideally we would like to go to another place nearby as well. We would have to still come back to our original destination though, since we're getting round-trip flights from one of those places.

Other things worth mentioning:
1) We're 29 and in good shape - willing to do anything physical. I'd prefer outdoor activities but that's not a must at all.. we're just going there to get the full experience of another culture
2) I know the trip wont be cheap, but I still want to keep an eye on the budget so less expensive things to do would be ideal.

Thanks!
Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: CBR 1000RR
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: Stumbled upon the site

One more thing..
When we went to Spain I asked this forum what we should do and someone mentioned renting a motorcycle and even gave a suggestion of where to rent the bike, where to ride, etc.. I took his advice and did everything he said and we had an AMAZING experience doing that.
So if you have a motorcycle rental suggestion or destination that's a plus too.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 08:51 PM

Sportbike: 2004 GSX-R 750 Track Bike
Years Riding: 12 years
How you found us: Been on the forum since it was part of SBN

Out of those three, I prefer Munich. The area is gorgeous with lots of activities. And Austria is also. Dusseldorf is ok. Berlin is cool for a historical point of view. But, Munich wins for being active and drinking beer if your into that. My last to Germany also included a trip to the Nurburgring. That was amazing. I rented a race car from one of the companies (RSR) and did several laps around the track, one with an instructor. I have been all around Europe over the last 30 years (I have family there), so I can give suggestions about a lot of areas.

NESBA #510 (I)
Wide Open Till Ya See God, Then Brake
Viva La Figa!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Who's faster Lupi

Sportbike: 2004 ZX10R & 2005 CRF50
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: SBN

I've only been to the Frankfurt area and would highly recommend it. For your three choices Berlin would be it for me. Like Roach said the history would be my interest.

NESBA #456 Intermediate
Always 1 step ahead of Lupi. 1:24:7 BHF
And 1 step behind Kimmy

"SoB gets to spend yet ANOTHER season faster than me." -LUPI-
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 10:34 PM
PIKUACH NEFESH

Sportbike: Italian,British,Japanese,Czech
Years Riding: LONG TIME
How you found us: CRR

Ask Germany , I think he knows something .
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Literbikes Scare Me

Sportbike: 2005 ZX6R
Years Riding: 12+
How you found us: NESBA BBS (Wink & Scratch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR Shadow View Post
My wife and I have been to Europe once before (Madrid & Rome) and loved it. She found some good airfare for a trip in April to Germany so we're going to book one. My question is, which of the three places listed below should we go?! We're planning on spending 6 days total.

Dusseldorf - Do stuff there then take a train to either Cologne, Germany or else to Amsterdam

Munich - Do stuff there then take train to Austria?

Berlin - Do stuff there and not sure where we can get by train

Anyone have experience with any or all of these places? We probably wont go back to Germany for a very long time so we want to get the full experience in the short time we'll be there. Ideally we would like to go to another place nearby as well. We would have to still come back to our original destination though, since we're getting round-trip flights from one of those places.

Other things worth mentioning:
1) We're 29 and in good shape - willing to do anything physical. I'd prefer outdoor activities but that's not a must at all.. we're just going there to get the full experience of another culture
2) I know the trip wont be cheap, but I still want to keep an eye on the budget so less expensive things to do would be ideal.

Thanks!
Ryan
I've been to all the places you mentioned, but I have the advantage of having my friends (Germans) drag me around to wherever they go. During the day, I am taken to some of the "necessary tourist" spots, and at evening/night, I'm just another one in the group.

Cologne is nice (The Dom is amazing), but the town/area gets small quickly. You could really cover the town/area in a couple days.

Munich is awesome. Bavaria is ridiculously clean in general, but Munich is spotless. If you end up in Munich, you must make time for a trip to Regensburg. Amazing city with awesome history/culture/nightlife.

If you're in Berlin, you won't need a car since the public transit is so good. The history/museums/culture/nightlife is great. In my experience, speaking English is not a problem anywhere in Germany, but Berlin will be the best place for someone who knows zero German. FYI: There is a train that starts in Berlin and ends in Amsterdam.

PM me if you have any other questions.

Still tryin'....
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 05:50 AM

Sportbike: Buell firebolt
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Chicagoriders.us

Traveling to Germany - Help!

Neat topic. I'm going the first week of August. Arriving at dusseldorf and they are making all the plans.
I have family in Berlin though.,,,

I went there years ago and stayed for 2 weeks and went from Berlin to Frankfort and stopped at places along the way. Very fun. And A LOT of people knew English.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 12:35 PM
I don't know...

Sportbike: more than one... one less now...
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Some girl was talking about it.

Hi!
Munich has the best of all. You have lots of interesting stuff in the city and surrounding, you are close to the Alps, and the lakes in the foot hills. take some hikes, but April might still be snow in the trails...

Dusseldorf, if you like to drink a lot that's your place.

Berlin, interesting but there are a lot of museum's you should visit if you go there lots of good and bad history being made there.

You can rent Bikes, but I would suggest to look at the weather, most BMW dealers have rental programs. if you head south West ( ok more west) from Munich, you will come to a very nice area.

And also remember Germany is rather small compared to the US, and you can get with the high speed rail pretty much anywhere in a short time...

When exactly are you going? I'm there for a few days the weekend after Eastern.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 12:18 PM
TOOS Racing

Sportbike: gsxr 1000 gsxr 750
Years Riding: enough to know better
How you found us: googled "pussies on bikes"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany View Post
And also remember Germany is rather small compared to the US....

Compared to the US and because of the US.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode