Gently used kids toy donation? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Sarcasm in every post.

Sportbike: '01 ZX-6R, '88 Katana 600
Years Riding: 20+yrs.
How you found us: Written on a YWB's ass. Next to "EMR was here"

Gently used kids toy donation?

I'm searching for a charity that will appreciate gently used toys. We've done some house cleaning, and have a stack of toys, that for the most part are brand new.

I know Goodwill will take them, slap a $ amount on them and throw them on the shelf, without much regard. I've browsed through the store and want someplace a little more caring and appreciative.

Salvation Army doesn't list used toys as donation items.

So does anyone deal with anything that benefit the underprivileged kids directly?

A charity that really gives to people, and not lines their pockets.

These toys may be used, but they are like new. Types of items are Polly Pocket, My Little Pony, Littlest Petshop etc. Mainly girls toys, with a few boys toys mixed in.

Hoping for something in the Elgin area, but willing to drive a bit for the right group.

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Last edited by scout67; 03-05-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 02:35 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

Goodwill is a worthy cause and may really be the only outlet to you. Like you say they'll price them and sell them in one of their resale outlets but, you know the money raised will go to help people and kids in need. Most of the other toy charities are looking for new rather than used. If you don't find another outlet, give Goodwill a second look.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Sarcasm in every post.

Sportbike: '01 ZX-6R, '88 Katana 600
Years Riding: 20+yrs.
How you found us: Written on a YWB's ass. Next to "EMR was here"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
Goodwill is a worthy cause and may really be the only outlet to you. Like you say they'll price them and sell them in one of their resale outlets but, you know the money raised will go to help people and kids in need. Most of the other toy charities are looking for new rather than used. If you don't find another outlet, give Goodwill a second look.
Thanks OTB.

Almost all our donations go to Goodwill presently. The issue is this stuff is just in to good a shape. It will break my heart knowing it went there. Passing through their system like a stained t-shirt.

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 11:51 AM

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

There are a few churches in my town of Elmhurst that accept donations and then host a large garage sale sort of fundraiser for the church. We dumped a lot of toys on them recently.

My wife sells a lot of the better toys (meaning still in good shape) on Facebook. The local Elmhurst moms set up a Facebook page called eMoms and they basically give away items. The intent is that while you can sell something on eMoms you don't try to make any major money. Thus a pile of Pretty Ponies might be priced at $5 or $10. Then you just leave the toys in a box on your doorstep and whoever responded 1st to the Facebook post picks them up. Everything is in town so you really don't have to drive to the edges of Chicagoland like you might on Craigslist. The Elmhurst group recently added Villa Park and Lombard to their page but it created a bit of backlash since driving to Lombard is actually sort of a haul for a mom with 2 or 3 kids. Now it's back to just Elmhurst.

I imagine you might be able to do the same. At least you know they'd be going to a kid who would recognize their value. We have a ton of items we've essentially traded this way. My kids really don't care if they are new or used. We mostly use the used toys as incentives for cooperation and stuff and leave the new toys for birthdays and Christmas since unwrapping is always the highlight.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 12:12 PM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins

Send a message via AIM to FiReBReTHa
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
Goodwill is a worthy cause
double check that, been hearing some shady stuff lately sadly

daycares also accept toys but its kinda weird to donate to business that wont give toys to the kids on their own.

www.firespeedtactical.com
Trial By Fire.
Like our page!
http://www.facebook.com/firespeedtactical

Quote:
"I'm spooning a barrett 50 cal. I could kill a building."
-Archer
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 05:32 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Gently used kids toy donation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiReBReTHa View Post
double check that, been hearing some shady stuff lately sadly

daycares also accept toys but its kinda weird to donate to business that wont give toys to the kids on their own.
The Facebook thing making the rounds isn't all the way true. It is true their president is paid well but that isn't the current (not sure if past) CEO / Presidents name and I think the guy only makes 800k or so (the poor thing, how is he supposed to feed and clothe his family on that? Maybe he gets free clothes from goodwill or a discount or something) Goodwill actually got in trouble back in 2004 or 05 for overpaying their execs. I don't remember the case though.

Charity is big money. These people have no problem carving out your donations for their private jets and rolls Royce's. my downstairs neighbor is the CEO of a free clinic that's somewhat well know. He makes around 300k plus expenses and bonuses (like anew escalade ext every year)

Overall I think charity is a good thing. Still sickens me how human greed perverts everything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode