just got my permit - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

just got my permit

Am happy to say that I just passed the written this afternoon and am the proud new owner of a Motorcycle Operator's Learning Permit. So I have some questions. Will the cops really bust my balls if they catch me riding without someone (around the neighborhood, I mean, not out in traffic)? What is the best way to teach yourself--I won't be able to enroll in the MSF until March (can't hardly wait)? Are there any fellas--or gals--out there from around Highland Park-Lake Forest-Vernon Hills-ish? And lastly, will bad things happen to my bike if I leave out for the winter? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 12:14 AM
Telefonica Struck

Sportbike: 2003 Gixxer 750
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to XxTelefonicaxX
Congrats on the bike and the permit. As for the cops I would be careful because they only way you'll catch a break is if you get a nice cop, because besides breaking the law you won't be insured. Insurance companies will sell you insurance without you having a M Class License, but if you get pulled over or wreck your bike without having your M Class they WILL NOT cover you. If I were you I know it hurts but just wait it out and go to the MSF class offered by the state for free and get a good education before you hop on the bike. You'll learn more in that class then you can imagine even with it's corny videos. As for storing your bike try and get it inside a.s.a.p.. Bikes don't like being that cold especially since you're not riding it. If you have an apartment/house with a first floor that's ground level then you are set or if you have friends that do you can just wheel it in and put it in the corner of a room. Stop by the dealership and pick up some gas stabilizer for the tank, and you may consider buying a battery tender to keep your battery from draining over winter. Good luck, welcome to the board, ask for help, and post some pics of the new ride.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 12:51 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

i didnt read XxTelefonicaxX
cause the wife is calling me back to finish our card game, but congrats, and when the weather breaks, meet up for one of my free lessons i put on in the year for all skill level of riders.

and dont get caught driving alone!
and Dont leave your bike outside in the winter!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 07:22 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
My advice, DON'T TEMPT THE FATES, don't ride alone, I know it's tempting, but start off on the right foot. You can get the battery tender here, at a good price, I have had one for a couple of years. As for the Stabil gas treatment, my advice is don't for short term storage. What kills gas is air, just keep the tanked topped to the brim. I also run the bike once a week, until it gets warm. You'll be riding in 8 weeks anyway. Good luck.

Rick

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 08:11 AM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

Congrats and welcome! If you catch a cop on a bad day you WILL get your balls busted! Obviously you will not know what day that is so my advice is DON'T do it. As far as leaving the bike outside........Again i recommend Don't do it. If you must then properly prepare it for winter. You won't be the first person to do it. Spring is not that far off. Enjoy the rest of the winter and take this time to get "familiar" with your new beast. If in a garage wash and wax it to learn all the nooks and cranies of it. Trace out the wires, follow the battery cables to see where they go and check all your vacuum and all lines and hoses in general. Sounds boring but it will get you comfortable with the mechanics of the thing. Are your sprockets ground/ spiked? is the chain freely movable? orings on chain lubed and gunk free? Trust me take the time to be familiar with your bike.

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 10:17 AM
CHeYeNNe

Ditto what everyone has said. Just wait out the winter it's not all that bad
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

you guys win. but here's one more thing, how can I guarantee myself a spot on the first MSF class in March?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 01:48 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

by already singing up, its a mother blanker to get in and ya better be calling your ass off to find out as soon as they open, i heard the best way to get yourself a spot was to call.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 01:51 PM
Telefonica Struck

Sportbike: 2003 Gixxer 750
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to XxTelefonicaxX
The MSF classes are easy to get into as long as you remember to sign up the second registration opens.

The website says this about registration: "The registration dates and course schedules for the 2004 training season will be posted in late January or early February 2004"

You can register online or by the phone but online would work out a lot better.

Here's the like to the website you can read all about it. http://www.outreach.niu.edu/mcycle/brc.html

They usually open the registration up at 12:00 (MIDNIGHT) on a weekday at the end of January or Early February.I have signed up friends before and classes seriously close within 10 -20 minutes of the opening of registration.

Hopes this helps just keep an eye on that site and you'll get in just fine.

2003 GSXR 750
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 01:52 PM
ask me about my jiu jitsu

Location: where they plant the seeds to grow the trees to make the sticks
Location: where they plant the seeds to grow the trees to make the sticks
Sportbike: 2002 ducati 748S, 2009 triumph speed triple
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: google

Quote:
Originally posted by crackpot
you guys win. but here's one more thing, how can I guarantee myself a spot on the first MSF class in March?
the *second* that registration becomes available, send in your forms. when i was signing up, the lady i spoke with on the phone said that some people even camp out at the NIU office or send their registration fed ex to ensure a spot.

just keep checking their website or call their info line daily.

good luck and welcome to the board!

"i'm a sweetheart, i'm a prom queen" - big black
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 01:53 PM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I was able to get myself and my girlfriend a spot two weeks before the class last year. Don't count on this though. Make sure you check the website everyday to see if there are slots open.

Welcome to the board

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 02:55 PM

Sportbike: 99 Honda CBR600F4
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: Honda Sportsbike Network

I signed up at 12:45AM, and the first class I was able to get was in October last year. Get online and sit on the home page of the MSF site until 12:01. There's no reason to risk losing your chance at riding because you just can't wait. You're likely to build bad habits, damage your bike, and make mistakes. Wait for the class and you'll be happier/safer and will never regret it. Also, if you don't get into the first class... show up anyways. They have a lottery to replace people that fail to show up on time.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 03:27 PM
FASTEST AT CRA FOREVER!

Sportbike: 916 ducati, 2002 aprilia falco 1991 KZ750(the monster killer!)
Years Riding: 33
How you found us: speedzilla

my friends sister had to take the course in carbondale, late summer as a walkin. They're not kidding, we were told the course leaders at oak lawn have even been offered money and sex to get in.

Style is the excuse used by those who have neither the nerve or the intelligence to live their own lives.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

What is the Dealio

If there si so much demand for the course, and if the course does so much to increase the capabilities of the rider, then why are there so few seats available? I mean, it is in everyone's best interest to have competent operators on the road, which makes it a government function. It really does not make any sense for someone to be turned away from this type of training. How shi*tty.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook

Chris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode