Alternatives to PayPal for E-Bay Auction? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
habitual line stepper

Sportbike: F4,Brutale,Warrior,DRZ
Years Riding: X
How you found us: .

Send a message via AIM to Jack
Alternatives to PayPal for E-Bay Auction?

Weird. I won an auction yesterday for some photo equipment and wanted to pay with a credit card. I added a card to my PayPal account and attempted to pay the individual through the credit card. Here's the hitch, PayPal decides that based on some criteria they wont divulge that they wont risk paying this customer with a credit card. WTF?

I've talked to the guy, so I have his phone number and his mailing address. He has only 1 or 2 other sales to his background but I think the clincher is that he is using a hotmail e-mail address. Just as a test I typed in another address to send money to and it had no problem with a similar amount even though that person didn't even have a PayPal account.

I've talked to PayPal, twice. It's my first disappointment with them. The rep actually said they didn't care if I was the President of the United States, there was no one there that could make this go through, but I was welcome to use my balance or money from my bank account.

So, part of me is worried there is something wrong with this guy, but mostly I think it's just PayPal being adopting some policy with little or no regard to how it might leave their customers hanging. Like the rep told me, we have 35 million other customers....

I explained the situation to the guy via e-mail and he said that hotmail is the only e-mail address he has. Hmmm, that's weird too.

So, your thoughts? Anyone deal with a different funding org for an e-bay auction? I know there are some other companies. I hate to lose this purchase since it's saving me a bunch over buying new.

Last edited by Jack; 01-15-2004 at 12:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 12:42 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Use www.BidPay.com - maybe a money order will work?

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 12:43 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

the hotmail address thing is wierd, most people get email addies with there provider ie:msn, aol ,etc... id be carefull

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
habitual line stepper

Quote:
Originally posted by JimGoFast
the hotmail address thing is wierd, most people get email addies with there provider ie:msn, aol ,etc... id be carefull
I agree, and what I thought. I have his phone number, which probably doesn't mean bunk. He said I could mail a check to his mailing address, which isn't a PO box.

bidpay has a $700 limit. The auction is just short of $900.

I wonder if I could do two smaller payments....
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 01:03 PM
CHeYeNNe

Quote:
Originally posted by JimGoFast
Yea Jim but I know that I've personally changed Internet Providers more then few times in last few years and you always have to change the email address. I've had my hotmail addy for about 6years now.

PayPal is probably doing that because they can't verify the guy thru his hotmail address like they can when you use a Internet Providers address.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 01:10 PM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
Quote:
[i]
PayPal is probably doing that because they can't verify the guy thru his hotmail address like they can when you use a Internet Providers address. [/B]

Thats what I was thinking. Anyone can have a Hotmail address, my cat has one.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 01:30 PM
To Punish and Enslave

Sportbike: A 10 speed :(
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: I know the dude that runs the website

Send a message via AIM to Jimbo Send a message via Yahoo to Jimbo
How about Yahoo e-mail? PayPal is probably doing this for protection. In that case it's not a bad thing.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
hahahaha, nice try. Everyone knows men age like wine and women age like milk. It's a scientific fact!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 05:00 PM

How about an escrow, but there is an additional fee.

I just bought a transmission through paypal and I had to split it into two payments...one direct from my bank account and one on my visa/debit (same bank account)...because it wouldn't let me do the lump sum without an e-check that would take a few days to clear.

It seems odd that it won't let you do a credit card
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 10:09 PM
Who's faster Lupi

Sportbike: 2004 ZX10R & 2005 CRF50
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: SBN

I have 2 paypal accounts. One personal and one for the business. Both are use Hotmail E-mail accounts. Both are credit card verified. Both have no problems sending or receiving money. BUT.... I have never tried to debet my credit card thru Paypal. I only have spent if I had the $$$ in the account.

NESBA #456 Intermediate
Always 1 step ahead of Lupi. 1:24:7 BHF
And 1 step behind Kimmy

"SoB gets to spend yet ANOTHER season faster than me." -LUPI-
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 10:24 PM
Got my new Ride......

Sportbike: YZ250, GSX-R750 K1, ZX-7R (RIP)
Years Riding: Since I was about 10 yrs old
How you found us: JimGoFast

Jack - Think my wife uses ProPay.com for all of her business stuff. You might want to try that.

Where is the guy located ? Maybe someone on the NESBA board is in his area & can go and pick it up for you !! Most everyone on the NESBA board knows you & they are spread all over the place. Might be worth a try.

- Sam
NESBA #749
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
habitual line stepper

Thanks guys. He's near Atlanta. Yeah, it's the first time purchasing with a CC for me, I never imagined I'd have a problem like this. I just worry that PayPal is trying to tell me something...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
habitual line stepper

Here's what happened. I went to bidpay, the Western Union thing. I found out when trying to pay for the auction that their max was $700.

So, I decided to send the max and figured when that went through I would pay the rest with my PayPal balance. The transaction just sat there for five days marked waiting for approval. WTF? So here I sit again, thinking maybe these guys know something I don't. There is absolutely NO WAY to contact bidpay. No e-mail addresses, no phone numbers, just a form on their Web sit you can fill out to generate a message. Twice or three times I used that form to ask them why it was still waiting for approval. My CC company called me to verify the charge right after I made it, so I new it was going through.

So, five days later they finally return one of my requests and say it is against their policy to use their service to partially pay for an e-bay auction. WTF? I gave them the e-bay info when I did the transaction. Five days to get back to me????

So, I'm sure the guy on the other end is wondering WTF too. At least we had several phone conversations right off the bat and I had been keeping him informed of what was going on.

So, in one last ditch effort I returned to PayPal. I had created another account, this one for my wife, with only a credit card. When I created the account I still couldn't send the guy payment using a credit card. And that was after he added his comcast account to PayPal, not just hotmail.

Magically, this time it allows me to complete the transaction, fund the payment using a credit card. WTF? What changed?

So just now I received the goods. They are as described and I couldn't be happier. The guy even ate the extra shipping costs of like $30. That was cool.

So, PayPal sucks. Western Union Bid Pay sucks too. I can't recommend either of them. I had no idea paying for an auction with a credit card would be so difficult.

PayPal wouldn't be so bad if they just gave you a reason of why they couldn't do it rather than treating you like a criminal.

Anyway, that's my e-bay experience.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 11:43 AM
stuck in 6th gear

Sportbike: '99 SV650, GSX-R1K2, CRF230F5, '08 HM-S
Years Riding: not enough lately *(&%# work...
How you found us: LBK back in the day

don't know what's up with that. I've sent way more than $700 through paypal on my credit card....
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 11:49 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Wow. Jack, I'm really sorry to hear about your Bidpay experience. I wish I knew of another alternative to offer.

I think what threw 'em was the partial payment thingy but GOOD GRIEF! grrrrr.....

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
habitual line stepper

Maybe it was because the guy had been registered with PayPal only 15 days and had one or two other sales. Regardless, it sucks ass to advertise that you can pay for something with a credit card through PayPal, win the auction, and then find out that PayPal wont let you for some unknown reason. I was left high and dry without a way to pay for it, and that sucks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode