Car purchasing question - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 99 Honda CBR600F4
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: Honda Sportsbike Network

Car purchasing question

As I mentioned in another thread, my gf recently totalled my old car. I will be buying a 2004 Honda Accord EX-V6 sedan. I could go out today and pick up the new car, but there are a few things holding me back. What I want to know is... what do ya'all think I should do? Buy the new car, or wait. The adjuster will be out on Tuesday or Wednesday next week, but I need a vehicle this weekend (need, not want... i.e. I'll have to rent one, which isn't covered by my insurance).

My current car...
Has a blue-book value of $3000
Has a ruined hood, front bumper, headlights & assembly, fog lights.
Needs work done on the side panels (minor scratches... if it gets totalled, they won't fix these... but if they repair it, they will).
The hood release was moved back 6 inches and will need replaced and re-wired.
There's a gas leak of some sort, though I can't smell fuel, and there's nothing on the ground. I've gone through 3/4 of a tank of gas in around 100 miles (normally I get 300 miles per tank), the aerodynamics have barely changed.
There's other unspecified damage to the engine/radiator/other stuff.

I'm not positive they will total the car. If they don't, I have "issues" with the title of the car. (I bought it in Indiana, now life in Illinois, and the two states won't agree on how to obtain the title.... I still have the notes from the bank saying that it's paid off). I have no idea how I'd get rid of the car if they don't total it. I know if I were the adjuster, I'd total the car, then fix just the major body damage and sell it at auction. (Total cost to AllState would be about $1500 as opposed to fixing it for $2500)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 02:30 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

I'd say make sure it gets totaled, use your imagination. next don't buy new.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 02:31 PM

pateince is a virtue!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 02:42 PM
Head Stepper

Sportbike: TREKK
Years Riding: 9
How you found us: member referal

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate
You want to borrow my sledgehammer??

<-------- Jeff

Hey baby! You ever been on the back of an expensive sportbike??

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 03:15 PM

Usually the rule of thumb is that an insurance company will total a vehicle if the damage is more than 80% of the value.

So, if the damage appraisal is close to $2,400, they will probably total the car.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 03:16 PM
Slum Overlord

Sportbike: 03 GSXR 1000, 02 RM250, 03 TTR125L
Years Riding: considerable time
How you found us: install job

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. D
I'd say make sure it gets totaled, use your imagination. next don't buy new.
Ditto!

the uncarved stone
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 03:24 PM
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

Re: Car purchasing question

Quote:
Originally posted by Slycer
I'm not positive they will total the car. If they don't, I have "issues" with the title of the car. (I bought it in Indiana, now life in Illinois, and the two states won't agree on how to obtain the title.... I still have the notes from the bank saying that it's paid off).
Won't the insurance company need the title to total the car? I'd get cash in hand before I committed to buying something else.

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 04:23 PM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
Buy a good used car for have the money of new. The used car market is flooded cause of the zero percent still from the car manufactures.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 05:11 PM

I agree, get a lower mileage used car. You can typically get good financing on used car these days. My kick ass credit union offer 3.75% for 3 years with nothing down and average credit rating with a solid history.

The Accord V6 is a really nice car and you can probably get a '02 or '03 model with less than 50k miles for pretty cheap... although low mileage isn't always a great thing since it might mean the car was used for all city driving... which is about 5 times harder on a car per mile.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 07:30 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

since they havent seen the car, this is my Hypothetical advise, go to sportmart, get one football helmet, a mouth piece, and chest plate.

Put on the gear, and go smash that bitch more in the front till it barley moves, then bring it back home. Then its totaled!

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 07:58 PM
Make my day!!!!!

Sportbike: Looking at a shiny Huffy!
Years Riding: 20+ yrs.
How you found us: member

Remember the insurance company will have other expences if they total you car ie getting rid of it. 2nd most insurance companies will pay a usual and customary type of fee not the fee the damn autobodiy companies give us. 3rd they can now use recycled parts if things need replaced as long as they notify you before installing them.

In other words if all that is really messed up is the front end and it only cosmetic they will probably fix it. Why....?

bumper - $125
quarter panels - $100 x 2
hood - $300
paint and supplies for full paint job (100% of the car) $250 or $350 if it is metalic

I know that is what I paid for paint. The bumper and quarter panel prices is what was charged to my father-in-laws insurance company 2 weeks ago when his was done. The hood was an educated quess

Living life! Because before you know it it is over!

Joe

FACEBOOK
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 99 Honda CBR600F4
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: Honda Sportsbike Network

Any ideas how I can force them to check to see if the air bag sensors are working? (gotta drive the cost up somehow)

Bumper - $100
Bumper insert - $45
quarter panels - $100 x2
Headlight Assembly's - $100 x 2
Fog lights - $20 x 2
Hood - $200
Paint (going by Wingit's price here) $250
($800 so far)

Unknowns
Labor
Hood release (currently I can't even pop the hood to look at the engine)
Tow truck if they want to examine it.
and the big unknown - engine damage

I'll make sure that if they don't total it, and choose to fix it, that the engine will have to pass an inspection by my dealer before I accept the final settlement. I have 6.5 years worth of records of dealing with only Saturn dealerships for maintenance, and even better... I went in about 3 weeks ago and had them check out everything and fix about $400 worth of stuff. i.e. if that engine isn't in amazing shape, it must've been caused by the accident, not normal wear.

Oh, and it would be dishonest and wrong for me to damage the car myself at this point in time. I mean really, they've taken a few really poor pictures of the body damage. They didn't even pop the hood to see the engine or any frame damage. There's not much I could do that would help my cause right?

Seriously though. They can sell the car at auction for AT LEAST $2200 after putting in a new hood and bumper and not touching anything else. Pay me $2500, put $300 worth of parts on it, and be out of the car for next to nothing. OR, they can pay to have it ALL fixed, and have it cost more.

If anyone's in the market for this kind of car, PM me and I'll let you know the VIN # and anything else you'd care to know about this car... after I'm done with the insurance company.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 06:32 AM

Saturns don't hold much value compared to similar foreign modles of the same price range (jetta, civic, corolla) so this might be to your favor to get the car totaled, althouhg you will also could get less money thatn your expecting. They will use the Blue Book of NASD(sp?) to determine hte value of the car then calculate the cost to repair the vehicle back ot a cosmetically good and mechanically repair onlyparts damaged by teh accident (radiator, compressor, exhast manfold, battery, resevoirs, etc. )
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 10:48 PM

You want a Honda... Shoot me a PM. I got all the car connections
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Slycer
Seriously though. They can sell the car at auction for AT LEAST $2200 after putting in a new hood and bumper and not touching anything else. Pay me $2500, put $300 worth of parts on it, and be out of the car for next to nothing. OR, they can pay to have it ALL fixed, and have it cost more.
If your car retails at $3K now.,..... there is no way in hell it will sell at auction for $2200. For one..... car insurance does not fix the car when it goes to the auction. They sell it as is...... the dealer is the one that buys the car all shitty, fixes it and resales it. Also, you are not looking at the same retail value because the car is REBUILT and says so on the title.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 12:53 PM
Banned

Sportbike: Kawasaki Zx-10 Ninja
Years Riding: since i was 5
How you found us: sbn

wow meggy, you know so much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode