Sentence in on Motorcyclist Killing Ex-Rep. Janklow - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
SICK OF IT ALL

Sportbike: missing my RC51
Years Riding: 9+
How you found us: drove by Strats one night & stopped in

Sentence in on Motorcyclist Killing Ex-Rep. Janklow

FLANDREAU, S.D. (Reuters)

Former South Dakota Rep. Bill Janklow, convicted of speeding through a stop sign and killing a motorcyclist, was sentenced on Thursday to 100 days in jail, avoiding a potentially lengthy prison term.

The 64-year-old Republican, was convicted on Dec. 8, 2003, of all charges related to the Aug. 16 crash near the town where he grew up: second-degree manslaughter, reckless driving, speeding and failure to stop at a stop sign.

State law provided no minimum sentence, but Janklow could have been punished to a maximum of 10 years in prison and fines of $11,400.

Judge Rodney Steele of the Moody County Circuit Court ruled Janklow should serve the first 30 days of his 100-day sentence in jail then begin a daytime work release program, which Steele said he hoped the former governor would use to teach.

The family of Randy Scott, a volunteer firefighter from Minnesota who was killed in the crash, has sued Janklow for damages. Scott's friend Terry Johnson, who was riding with him the day of the crash, was one of nine character witnesses to testify on Janklow's behalf before sentencing.

"A great, great man has been lost in a tragic accident. A good man has lost his career," Johnson told Steele.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does any one find this to be a huge travesty of justice or is it just me?

Wayne

Standing together
Side by side
Staying true to what’s inside
United as one, we fight

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 06:42 PM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Oh, its not just you. I just finished ranting on the Willemette thread, so I don't have the energy to put how pissed off I am in this post.

Let me just say I'm supermegapissedoff!!!!!!

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 07:23 PM

I'm confused why the victims buddy who was riding with him testified FOR the defendant. Hello.... the guy was doign 100 and blew a stop sign! I guess the civil courts will provide additional punishement. The guys life and career is over anyway.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 07:28 PM
Slum Overlord

Sportbike: 03 GSXR 1000, 02 RM250, 03 TTR125L
Years Riding: considerable time
How you found us: install job

Doesn't seem like "justice was served"......to me anyways. 100 days in jail for the representative, the other guy is dead
That sucks.....unless there is someone I would like to kill with my car!!!!!!!!!!!

the uncarved stone
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 07:58 PM

Something stinks in South Dakota. You take someone's life and you get 100 days in jail???
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 08:13 PM

Re: Sentence in on Motorcyclist Killing Ex-Rep. Janklow

Quote:
Originally posted by gohsbc
Judge Rodney Steele of the Moody County Circuit Court ruled Janklow should serve the first 30 days of his 100-day sentence in jail then begin a daytime work release program
Wait a sec..... you kill someone, your 100% at fault (with a history of similar) and you get 30 days in the county clink and 70 days of "sleepovers"???

Cherry--- I imagine the guys buddy would testify for the defense in a "did he show remorse/regret" kind of capacity.....?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 08:15 PM
6Teen Cycles

Sportbike: '61 Pan Shovel
Years Riding: Since before 600s were fast!
How you found us: I forgot

Send a message via AIM to geomoto Send a message via Yahoo to geomoto
Did you guys see that besides only 100 days. After the first 30 days he is allowed to be let out of jail to spend 10 hours a day doing "community service". Unreal!

I hope that the family gets a huge settlement. Not that it will make up for the loss of a loved one.

“The shapes and beauty of the motor are very important to me. Older bikes have beauty. Modern bikes…I don’t have any favorite shapes.”
-Shinya Kimura

'73 BMW Blog
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 08:34 PM
Slum Overlord

Sportbike: 03 GSXR 1000, 02 RM250, 03 TTR125L
Years Riding: considerable time
How you found us: install job

I hope that the inmates have the opportunity to give Janklow a......."tour of the facilities"....and a "day in the life of an inmate".....every day of those 30 days.
Maybe former Gov. Ryan can give some "smoke screen" tactics to Janklow once he enters his community service portion his sentance. You know, go on a world tour, trying to have the death penality lifted from everyone.

the uncarved stone
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 08:41 PM
Who's faster Lupi

Sportbike: 2004 ZX10R & 2005 CRF50
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: SBN

All depends on Who you know I guess. Politics.

Here's a case I actually would side on the civil suit thing.

NESBA #456 Intermediate
Always 1 step ahead of Lupi. 1:24:7 BHF
And 1 step behind Kimmy

"SoB gets to spend yet ANOTHER season faster than me." -LUPI-
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 09:58 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

As ridiculous as only 100 days in jail is, a former governor serving time? Bubba is gonna have a field day on his cornhole.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 10:11 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Quote:
Originally posted by CRAZe Inc
As ridiculous as only 100 days in jail is, a former governor serving time? Bubba is gonna have a field day on his cornhole.
doubtful. He'll probably get his own room, private bathrooms/shower away from everybody else. His 'cell' will probably be better than what most of us called dorms in college. Of course, I WANT him to be some big guy's fine ass ho for a couple months but politicians get treated too good.

And the settlement the family gets probably won't get paid. He'll have an unfortunate loss of gobs of money within recent months do to bad 'investments'.

-Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 10:14 PM

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 04:24 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

I just don't know where to start. Think of all the lesser crimes where no one gets hurt where you end up serving serious time and this asshole gets off killing a man with a slap on the wrist.

I know a guy (husband of one of my wife's girlfriends) that killed his best friend in a DUI. He didn't have to serve any jail time until the caught him driving on a suspended license about a year later. Then he served a whopping 2 weeks. This boy still drinks almost every day except for now he has his wife drag his sorry ass around. You think he learned his lesson? He is a low life scumball. Of course, the girl is finally wising up and grabbed her son and left him. Both of these assholes should have done real time. maybe they would learn something.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 07:13 PM
" It Time To Ride "

Sportbike: Suzuki GSX-R750
Years Riding: 20+
How you found us: Long search for motorcycle clubs online

Send a message via MSN to Justmax
SAD

I was going to post about this on friday. I also belong nwsabate fourm. I was very angry when read this article. This has mult- traffic in fractions. If that was regular joe. May be serving 10 year or more sentence. He was man with pull so got off on 100 days he will be out in month on good behavior. I hope the motorcyclist family sue shit out of this guy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode