Advice on in ground sprinklers please! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
CLSB SoCal Chapter

Sportbike: 2004 Red Kawasaki ZZR 600
Years Riding: since 2004
How you found us: My hubby Shane aka "Nickyfan"

Advice on in ground sprinklers please!

Alright here's the deal. The family and I are moving into our new house in March.

Obviously since it's a winter closing I don't have landscaping unitil the spring.

I want to have in ground sprinklers installed.

Here are my questions?

Should I have them install it before or after they lay the sod down? If I have them install before the sod is laid...how will the landscapers lay the down?

The thing is I'd have to use an outside contractor for the sprinkler installation and I've never done this before!

So please any suggestions would be appreciated. Also if you can recommend a company who does do in ground sprinkler installation could ya let me know.

Thanks in advance!

<--------Paulette
And the Wisdom to hide the bodies of those who refuse to
GET THE HELL OUT OF MY WAY!!
"Number '69' All the Way!"
"GO NICKY HAYDEN!!!"

Paulette's Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 05:52 AM

Although i don;t have any real experience in this.... I have ot imagine that if you install the sprinklers first (dig tranches), it wil be much easier ot come back and lay the sod over it. Also, you'll then have a good water supply to water the new sod.

Just be sureot layout where you want trees and other rooted plants, so you can install the sprinklers around them and not accidentally dig up the sprinklers because the wife changed her mind and wants a pine tree here instead of over there.

The KEY is to pan ahead what you want... it will also help you set a budget.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
CLSB SoCal Chapter

trust me this wife definitely doesn't want a pine tree.

What I'm hoping is that the landscapers will at least know how to lay the sod down, as long as I tell them that I did have the sprinklers installed!

Thanks!

<--------Paulette
"GO NICKY HAYDEN!!!"

Paulette's Facebook
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I've been through all the new house stuff, youare going to want to wait. About a week befroe they put the sod down they are gonna come out and spread an entire new layer of dirt which is going to raise the grade of the land, plus they are gonna be running plows over it which will destroy your sprinkler heads. just wait till the sod is in and then have the guys come out. They will lift the sod back up and install everything nice and clean.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 07:47 AM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

Tony is right. Wait till it is graded and the sod is in place. Depending on if you have a huge lot or not it will dictate on the type of installation. City water pressure is at roughly 35 PSI if you are lucky. You may need the installation of a small pump. Now you may go with rotary heads for the large areas and sprinklers or misters for garden / flowers area. You might even need to break up the areas for zones but once again that depends on your lot. Be sure to have drain installed on the branch and main lines lowest portions.

Here is the MUST HAVE......Valve before the time clock with an easy disconnect and a valve after the time clock with an easy disconnect. If you can i would also consider (on the size & placement of pump) the same. Over kill possibly but from experience to remove the small pump and clock from outside in the winter is invaluable! Now......

This is the biggest thing you MUST DO.....somewhere in the line after the shut off have a spot where you can put in a coupling with a small ball valve that you can hook up a air compressor line. You will need to blow out your system once it gets cold! If you do not you will crack, bust your pipes when the water freezes. Now if you have multiple zones the air line shall go before the clock to throw the buildup or charged main to each zone individually. Makes sense?

if you need a good contractor let me know i have one that i use for my property irrigation but they are $$$$! i recommend you get atleast 3 bids from 3 diff contractors to compare.

Good luck! Or save big bucks and tell that lazy shane to do it!

J/K Bud!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 08:11 AM
Work In Progress...

Sportbike: 2005 Harley Night Train
Years Riding: I dunno ?
How you found us: Been around a couple years

Send a message via MSN to BuzByU
They can do the Sprinkler System after the Sod is in. I had mine after the fact. The machine that they use actually pulls the lines underground by putting a small slit in the sod. You dont even see it, all you end up with are the lines sticking out of the ground, which eventually are put together to make your zones and all hidden. All systems in Illinios need what is called an RPZ it is a Reduced Pressure Zone Valve, kind of like a check valve. At that point any good contractor will install a valve for the "blow out" process, for the winter. The system is very easy to blow out in the fall, with a compressor as Labgod mentioned. Your contractor will help with that , or you can do it yourself. Then main thing at this point is get a good contractor, and ask him about any concers you might have.

2005 Harley Night Train
2001 Golf GTI VR6 - Super Charged-Intercooler, Nitrous = 305 HP... stage 4 to come soon! .. can you say 400? HP? in a Go Kart!
1999 Ford SVT Lightning - Super Charged @ 600 ponies

Yea I am compensating..

Gregg
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
CLSB SoCal Chapter

Quote:
Originally posted by Labdog
if you need a good contractor let me know i have one that i use for my property irrigation but they are $$$$! i recommend you get atleast 3 bids from 3 diff contractors to compare.

Good luck! Or save big bucks and tell that lazy shane to do it!

J/K Bud!

Thanks Kelly ! Trust me if Shane could do it, he would be doing it !

<--------Paulette
"GO NICKY HAYDEN!!!"

Paulette's Facebook

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode