commision jobs need ADVICE!!!!!!! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Old School

Sportbike: 85 V65 Sabre
Years Riding: 27 years of street and dirt before that
How you found us: from roach

Send a message via AIM to WITMAN
Cool commision jobs need ADVICE!!!!!!!

hey anyone out there have a strait commish job?
how does it work and what are the in's and out's?
I am looking at a new job and want some advice.
thanks!!!!!!

<............... Whitney

TWO WHEELS ARE THE ONLY WAY TO EXPERIENCE HEAVEN ON EARTH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 04:57 PM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

My company as a whole is 100% commission based although I draw a salary from it. Im a food broker and also the owner.

Whats your question?

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 08:23 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

I'm on a base + commission. Lets just say its not fun.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I grew up with my dad on 100% commision. Can be extremly lucrative if you are good.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Old School

?????? is.

mike, rob, tony,
thanks for offering up your opinions, wife said I wouldn't
responses very quickly, ha.
what i am trying to figure out is how to go back at the guy who is trying to hire me for a commision sales job. he wants me but the draw is way to low and its all cold sales.
now the benefits are great but money is still an issue.
So any suggestions on things to ask for besides money to help sweeten the deal or ways to increase the commish rate etc.
whit

<............... Whitney

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 12:20 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Re: ?????? is.

Quote:
Originally posted by WITMAN

So any suggestions on things to ask for besides money to help sweeten the deal or ways to increase the commish rate etc.
whit
Honestly if your going into a 100% commish job and worrying about negotiating the draw amount you probably shouldnt go. The thing about 100% ers is they set thier own payscale it doesnt matter what the boss wants, you sell till you cant sell no more, then go out and sell some more shit. You gotta eat, sleep, and shit sales to be in a job like that. Draw is for those emergency weeks when that slump hits that always does, but you more then make up for it by saving as much as you can while you are havin slammin months.

If you wanna negotiate for anything, negotiate for more vacation time. your gonna need it to keep from getting burnt out. I watched my dad do it for 30 years. some years he was in the high 6 fgures other years under 6 figures, its all about your goals and drive.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 10:47 AM

I've been interviewing for sales jobs that start you out with some subsidy, but then its 100% commission after that.

It's a scary proposition knowing you will not have a guaranteed paycheck. There is money to made in sales if you are good at it and have excellent support from the company.

Plus, all these companies talk about salary "potential" but don't bother to tell you what the average is of first year reps and what the wash out rate is.

I've learned if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is....

Good luck with the job search...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 12:28 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

out of curiousity what is the product? is it something that is in demand? can you sell it? is it some thing you want to sell? if you answer yes to these questions then you should do well.

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Old School

Talking the product is?

The product is (dont laugh to hard) hair products and salon supplies and such. There is a definite demand and you can do well my wife's boss is a rep for them also and earns over 100k part time now as she also owns a salon my wife works in.
the job has good benefits its just all cold calls to start.
build the business to start out (no money)
so i just wanted opinions, hey punky what kinds of stuff have you found?
whit

<............... Whitney

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 02:29 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

I've been paying my own way for 23 years. I'm at the point that I can't see why anyone with drive and a reasonable amount of talent would do anything else.

I have multiple sales people working for / with me. If they are in house they get a base salary and part of the total commissions earned. Over time, I reduce the base and increase the commission split. I was never a proponent of draw against commission. Unfortunately one thing that you touched on is true. I need to keep my sales reps hungry. If the base or draw is too high, sales and ultimately their income suffers. Then we both loose. Since I tend to treat all my staff as extended family, that is very hard on me. Ideally, I'd like to have all my people on just a token base so I can justify a benefit package and make them almost 100% commission driven. Anyone I hire is tasked to earn over $100k. Some limp along at $60K. Big success for my in house staff is $250+. Admitedly, this gig ain't for everyone. 23 years in business, a solid income, industry recognition and I still worry about where the next check is coming from. Make very sure it's what you want to do. Especially when you use the words "cold calling". You are potentially looking at major burn out. BTW, a couple of key things to look at.
1. Does he have a lot of turn over?
2. How long has his average rep been with him.
3. What level of support is he offering.
4. How much does his top rep make and his worst rep. Don't go with average as the big guy/s will skew this number.
5. Who is your competition, both internal and external.
etc etc etc
The reality is if you have never done sales and he is willing to hire you vs. an experienced sales rep you need to be very careful.
Good luck,
Bruce
BTW, out of curiosity, what will you be selling?

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.

Last edited by Blade Runner; 02-01-2004 at 02:40 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

Quote:
Originally posted by Blade Runner
I've been paying my own way for 23 years. I'm at the point that I can't see why anyone with drive and a reasonable amount of talent would do anything else.

I have multiple sales people working for / with me. If they are in house they get a base salary and part of the total commissions earned. Over time, I reduce the base and increase the commission split. I was never a proponent of draw against commission. Unfortunately one thing that you touched on is true. I need to keep my sales reps hungry. If the base or draw is too high, sales and ultimately their income suffers. Then we both loose. Since I tend to treat all my staff as extended family, that is very hard on me. Ideally, I'd like to have all my people on just a token base so I can justify a benefit package and make them almost 100% commission driven. Anyone I hire is tasked to earn over $100k. Some limp along at $60K. Big success for my in house staff is $250+. Admitedly, this gig ain't for everyone. 23 years in business, a solid income, industry recognition and I still worry about where the next check is coming from. Make very sure it's what you want to do. Especially when you use the words "cold calling". You are potentially looking at major burn out. BTW, a couple of key things to look at.
1. Does he have a lot of turn over?
2. How long has his average rep been with him.
3. What level of support is he offering.
4. How much does his top rep make and his worst rep. Don't go with average as the big guy/s will skew this number.
5. Who is your competition, both internal and external.
etc etc etc
The reality is if you have never done sales and he is willing to hire you vs. an experienced sales rep you need to be very careful.
Good luck,
Bruce
BTW, out of curiosity, what will you be selling?

are you mocking me with that last line?

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode