Cycle show (warning: partial RANT enclosed) - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Grand Master Crash

Sportbike: none for now
Years Riding: ...classified...
How you found us: My psychic advisor told me about it

Cycle show (warning: partial RANT enclosed)

For the LOVE OF GOD, PEOPLE... LEAVE THE F*CKING STROLLERS AT HOME!!!!

I can't tell you how many times i got WHACKED in the heel by some idiot with a stroller... I turn around and they give ME a dirty look, like *I* should move out of *their* way simply because they are tasked with pushing a stroller.

You have a kid now. Accept the fact that unless you get a babysitter, there are some things you simply CANNOT DO ANYMORE. Carry it, or stay home. Besides, if the kid is so young that it has to ride around in a stroller, IT DOESN'T KNOW WHAT IT'S LOOKING AT ANYWAYS!!!!

/rant off.

Otherwise, show was OK I guess. I saw all that I wanted to see (new R1.... and uhhh... the R6?) Bought a pretty cool 24x36 print of Rossi on the RC211V, complete with a carbon-fiber frame mat (bad-ass looking.)

Time to go reassemble the R6

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

Funny i was there with my wife and son and our stroller. you going to say that to the people who where there in wheel chairs also??? we have just as much right as you do to be there, my son and wife had fun there, i'd show you pictures of him and her posing on bikes but hey according to you we dont belong there.

have a nice day

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Grand Master Crash

Quote:
Originally posted by JimGoFast
but hey according to you we dont belong there.
Did I STATE that you, your wife, or your baby didn't belong? No. I don't believe I did. Re-reading my post... I didn't. What did I state?

Quote:
Originally posted by OmniGLH
LEAVE THE F*CKING STROLLERS AT HOME!!!!
STROLLERS. Leave the STROLLER at home.

Guy in a wheelchair? That is different. The guy in a wheelchair doesn't have a choice. The wheelchair is his only way around. But the stroller - you CAN leave that at home, and CARRY the baby... rather than inconvenience most other people around you when there are 300,000 people crammed into such a tiny space. And wheelchair OR stroller, in MY opinion, it is NOT ok to RAM your way through crowds simply because you are disadvantaged (as I had at least TWO different people pushing strollers pull this crap this afternoon.) Equal rights, not special rights. When I broke my shoulder, did I DEMAND that people in a crowded bar stay 12" away from me? No. I knew the bar was crowded, and I DIDN'T GO. (I would've left my shoulder at home if I could have, trust me )

I like you Jim, and I'll stop my rant with this post, as I don't want any more hard feelings to fly than I'm sure have already been. The above rant is the perspective given (and shared) by several people who do not have children. Although I personally would not think to bring one to an event such as the cycle show in the first place - simply for the fact that the PITA it would be to try to navigate it around all those people.

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 09:46 PM
VTwin FTW!

Sportbike: 2013 Ducati Diavel Cromo
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: Friend

OmniGLH,

Your treading on very thin ground with us parents, so be careful. That's all I'll say.

Mike
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 09:47 PM
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
strollers or no strollers people shouldn't be that inconsiderate. I'm sure I have bumped into people before and not realized it but I try to at least say excuse me if I do. On the other hand if you let that sort of stuff get to you you're going to be a very pissed off individual.......

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 09:55 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

dude i dont have hard feelings my point is most humans get clostraphobic when in big crowds and loose there patients. you are right equal rights not special rights, and my baby and stroller have the same rights(doesnt give me the right to use it as a battering ram), dude i was getting bumped left and right by ignorant people all day long there, (they didnt have no stroller)when i had enough i left.

views shared by people who dont have children, well let me tell you your not the only people on the earth, and I, like you, and my wife love motorcycles and we had a good time and stayed out of peoples way.

Im not going to stop living nor ask my wife to because we had a child, nor would i ask anyone else, I have a little more patience for these types of things now that im on the other side of it.

Your a bud Jim, dont think im attacking you, im just trying to give you the veiw of the otherside. Someday you may be on this side of the fence too you know

GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Grand Master Crash

Quote:
Originally posted by JimGoFast
dude i was getting bumped left and right by ignorant people all day long there, (they didnt have no stroller)when i had enough i left.
Just keep in mind that a stroller is out of 95% of everyone's view (that 5% being midgets and really really short people.) When I'm in a crowd of 25 people all trying to go in the same direction... all I see is the head and shoulders in front of me. Someone tries cutting through the crowd with a stroller, you simply don't see it. They may ALL not be ignorant, just as not EVERYONE with a stroller was deliberately trying to knock me out of the way (although I truly believe that the two people who tried it today were...) But after it happened twice, I started to get a little fed up, and it was decided that it was time to go home (just as you did.)

And I should HOPE that you were one of the people who tried their best to get through without harm

Quote:
Someday you may be on this side of the fence too you know

...and may God help me if I ever am, because I am going to need it!

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 10:52 PM
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

Good thing you didn't go last night. I was the guy pulling two kids in a wagon. Great place to haul the 5 year old's new motocross gear, though. And he knows exactly what he's looking at. In the Honda display he pointed out a particular bike and said "that's the bike Jesse James built". You'll understand when (if) you have children the joy of sharing things with them. If I have to take out a few ankles on the way so be it. (I do apologize to anyone I'd bump into but some do seem to get frustrated trying to walk through a crowd with a stroller.)

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons
post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 02:25 AM
Who's faster Lupi

Sportbike: 2004 ZX10R & 2005 CRF50
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: SBN

Due to crowds and not wanting to deal with a stroller in a crowd, I usually left my kid at home or didnt go. Not out of curtesy to others but mostly for convenience for me. Now that my kid is getting bigger I look forward to bringing him out to event like today. Too bad mama had other plans for them today.

NESBA #456 Intermediate
Always 1 step ahead of Lupi. 1:24:7 BHF
And 1 step behind Kimmy

"SoB gets to spend yet ANOTHER season faster than me." -LUPI-
post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 03:45 AM

kids as early as 1 year old will remember seeing a bike. My nephew who is 4 now... still remembers me hilding him sitting on my motorcycle. For a year after, everytime a motorcycle went biy he said "uncle mike, uncle mike"

IMO - it's the responsibility of the orginization runnign he convention ot allow for adequate aisle ways for all types of trafic and ideally stroller parker between some exhibits that have less space ot move through. I heard that the floor layout was terrible this year and created most of the congestion.
post #11 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 07:36 AM

Sportbike: Moto Guzzi V-11 sport
Years Riding: since 1998
How you found us: .

Iv'e been taking my son to the show 4 years now, and the 1st 2 (w/ a stoller) the only problems we had were people not paying attention to where they were walking and bumping either me my wife or my kid. yeah people with stollers or wheelchairs should not expect right of way, but everyone should be paying attention just out of common courtesey.

Look, I can appreciate this. I was young too, I felt just like you. Hated authority, hated all my bosses, thought they were full of shit. Look, it's like they say, if you're not a rebel by the age of 20, you got no heart, but if you haven't turned establishment by 30, you've got no brains. Because there are no story-book romances, no fairy-tale endings. So before you run out and change the world, ask yourself, "What do you really want?"
post #12 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 07:57 AM

Sportbike: RSVR Factory
Years Riding: years?
How you found us: link

I'am not one for stollers and i'am not going to rant they have just as much wright as we do,there was just a lot of people there and when I seen a crowd I just turned around and went the other way
post #13 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 08:00 AM
Jim
Tgf Og

Quote:
Originally posted by cherrypicker
IMO - it's the responsibility of the orginization runnign he convention ot allow for adequate aisle ways for all types of trafic and ideally stroller parker between some exhibits that have less space ot move through. I heard that the floor layout was terrible this year and created most of the congestion.

the aisle where adequate, the problem was is they put all the vendors in those aisles, so everyone was in them, they need to spread them out more or better yet make a square for the vendors that would work best

GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #14 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 08:14 AM

Sportbike: RSVR Factory
Years Riding: years?
How you found us: link

I think the bike show has grown so big they need another location
post #15 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 08:27 AM

I agree with Omni

The group I was with all have kids, and they all made arrangements for care.

It's called consideration.

The bike show is crowded. Why do you need your kid there?

I tripped over a stroller (and an old man in a rascal) because it was out of view, and got a dirty look. Amazing

It's great that parents have rights, but it would makes things better if they used commons sense with them.
post #16 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 08:46 AM
Jim
Tgf Og

Re: I agree with Omni

Quote:
Originally posted by Motobeagle
The group I was with all have kids, and they all made arrangements for care.

It's called consideration.

The bike show is crowded. Why do you need your kid there?

I tripped over a stroller (and an old man in a rascal) because it was out of view, and got a dirty look. Amazing

It's great that parents have rights, but it would makes things better if they used commons sense with them.
why does my child need to be there? did you see the smile on his face when mom sat him on the pw50? or the kawi?? or my wifes face as she was doing the same?
yes it is called consideration, and we did our best not to bump into anyone, i dont think we did, the fact is kids like motorcycles too, and have the same rights as you. You dont like it dont go, hey when i had enough of people who thought they owned the aisle i left,(and again these where people without strollers) i didnt make a stink about it. get over it already theres more to life then an ankle stinger.

the bike show is crowded, if you go into it knowing that, and knowing people are going to be bumping you, it isnt going to bother you as much. if it does then you my friend are the one who doesnt belong there!

GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #17 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 08:56 AM

What about all the huge boobs. They were bumpin into me!! Oh wait I enjoyed that.
post #18 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 09:26 AM

Quote:
why does my child need to be there? did you see the smile on his face when mom sat him on the pw50? or the kawi?? or my wifes face as she was doing the same?
That's great, my Dad did the same for me.

But if he's old enough to enjoy it ,,,,,,,,,,,

Carry him.

It will spare you from giving dirty looks, and it will spare the bike crowd from tripping over your stroller.

Quote:
You dont like it dont go, hey when i had enough of people who thought they owned the aisle i left,(and again these where people without strollers) i didnt make a stink about it. get over it already theres more to life then an ankle stinger.
If you weren't one of the 1500 people I said "excuse me" to, I apologize.

Based on the "no big deal' idiology my akle stinger will be a lot less of an issue
next to having a 6'3 230lb pissed off man landing on your future racer.
post #19 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 10:39 AM
" It Time To Ride "

Sportbike: Suzuki GSX-R750
Years Riding: 20+
How you found us: Long search for motorcycle clubs online

Send a message via MSN to Justmax
Talking .02 cents

Yes, It was it was hard dodging baby carts and people. I have to say i was ran in to by baby carts lot and didn't excuse themself at all. Just looked at me like I ran in to them. But that ok life to short to get up in arm over it

US MARINE CORP
"Semper Fi''

post #20 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 10:43 AM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

That was me. I purposely followed you around all day with my 3 year old and stroller to bump into you.
You try lugging a 3 year old around for 3 hours without one. lol
Oh, she had as much fun and sat on as many bikes as anyone there. That little girl is just dying to ride. The only problem is that she gravatated to Yamaha. I couldn't get her off the scooters and cruisers. I guess I have a few years to teach her about Big Red.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #21 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 10:54 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

hey guys, i just woke up, i dont feel like reading the WHOLE thread, but i hope you guys behave, EVERYONE has a right to be anywhere, and if someone doesnt like it, dont go out in public.

other then that, sharing time with a or our babys is one of the best things we can do, and If we cant have someone sit them, thats the hard part of being parents.

some of us WISH they could have kids.

so please be considerate, and please remember its not easy being parents.

post #22 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 10:55 AM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

I for 1 was there friday but did not have the kids but we did the year before. With a stroller. Yes i can see where some people are inconsiderate with them but i will say as a parent you cant just find a babysitter or be lucky enough to have someone you trust. If it came to choosing a sitter from a newspaper or not going to the show well the only answer i have is---get out of my way here comes the stroller!

And NO i will not carry a 30 pound baby around for 3 hours or more when they are quite happy and comfortable in a stroller.

Ithink you (Omni) should rant about the A$$HOLES who while in the aisle walking to another part of the show suddenly stops right in the aisle to look around! THAT my friend is the inconsiderate one. And i think they were more abundant than strollers.

Don't take this the wrong way but was it the strollers or just the crowd that made you rant this. I am certain you got "bumped" by a hell of a lot more people than you did strollers.

(Is this a freudian inner guilt slowly manifesting through an outlet off redegression of a inner inadequacies?) Don't ask me to explain that cause i was rambling to make light of the posts!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #23 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 11:44 AM
" It Time To Ride "

Sportbike: Suzuki GSX-R750
Years Riding: 20+
How you found us: Long search for motorcycle clubs online

Send a message via MSN to Justmax
Talking hehhehehe

I have say the little ones on pocket rocket look very cute. Need little one run around the house. There was little girl on 955 that looked like she was ready to.

US MARINE CORP
"Semper Fi''

post #24 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 11:51 AM
ask me about my jiu jitsu

Location: where they plant the seeds to grow the trees to make the sticks
Location: where they plant the seeds to grow the trees to make the sticks
Sportbike: 2002 ducati 748S, 2009 triumph speed triple
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: google

i work for a trade show organization. we do not allow strollers or wheeled luggage on the floor at our show for mere fact that they are a hazzard, especially in large crowds. while i can certainly sympathize with parents who want to bring the kids, its really not the place, imo.

"i'm a sweetheart, i'm a prom queen" - big black
post #25 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 01:05 PM
Make my day!!!!!

Sportbike: Looking at a shiny Huffy!
Years Riding: 20+ yrs.
How you found us: member

Get rid of strollers!

While we are at it motorcycles ar either loud or flying by me at light speeds. I mean how rude is that. There is no place for that on public streets. we should ban all motorcycles for public safety cause they can kill not just bruise an ankle

Bars are a public safety too. People stumbling out making alot of noise, drinking and driving, date rape drugs, fights, ect, ect. we should ban bars and the consumption of liquor.

Cars. Why do we need cars that do 100 mph. The highest posted speedlimit in the contry is 75. All vehicles should be goverened at 75.

guns. Guns are made for killing. We should outlaw all guns because they are designed to harm if not kill people.

My point is that most people don't use there strollers as battery rams and if they do accidently run into you they should appologize. But we shouldn't ban everyone cause of a few bad apples. If you have a problem with an event you know there are strollers at then keep your ass at home!!!! I don't like meeting people with attitude problems anyway.

P.S. I didn't have a stroller!!!!

Living life! Because before you know it it is over!

Joe

FACEBOOK
post #26 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 01:21 PM

Re: Cycle show (warning: partial RANT enclosed)

Quote:
Originally posted by OmniGLH

For the LOVE OF GOD, PEOPLE... LEAVE THE F*CKING STROLLERS AT HOME!!!!
Agreed... I got a three year old and I think I took the stroller to the zoo once and found out what a pain in the ass it is, not just for me, but also everyone else. I began tossing a diaper and some wipes in my back pocket and the kid on my shoulders and things we a lot more enjoyable for everyone. hint... travel light and travel happy

The show was what I expected it to be... I ended up getting a visor for my Arai helmet for $35, a lot cheaper than a dealer would sell it for. I also got a nice joe rocket leather mercury jacket for a little over $200. All in all I was happy. I am not sure what everyone waas talking about when it came to good deals, they were everywhere. The Miline jackets were between $100 and $150 off w/ no tax. Thats not a bad deal, if they had my size it would have been better.

BTW... gohsbc and I left our combined 3 kids w/ the grandparents for the day

Last edited by MIGHTIER; 02-08-2004 at 01:24 PM.
post #27 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 02:06 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

The biggest problem at the show was not strollers or kids or any of that stuff. Remember motorcycling is a "FAMILY" sport. I think the major reason why the traffic didn't flow through the lanes was because people park there ass in front of a stunt video and block the whole damn lane. Nobody wants to move cause they won't be able to see yet another wheelie or stoppie. Buy the fucken video and move on!

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #28 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 02:07 PM
Cali's Twisty Tamer

Sportbike: '96 CBR F3
Years Riding: since 98
How you found us: met at Strat's

I have a daughter who is 3 and loves motorcycles as much as my wife and I. I'm not going to lie to her about where I'm going and why she can't go just to make it easier for myself, I'm going to bring her. And when I know it's going to be a huge crowd such as it was I'm not going to: 1)leave the stroller at home or 2) carry her for 5 hours.(you try carrying a 30 lbs child that squirms and get uncomfortable because she can't do what she wants, I've tried it, it's a bitch.) I've had several people try to force their way pass me only to find out why I was going as slow as I was and they got stuck next to me pushing into my daughter. One asshole even kicked the stroller out his way, so I pushed back and nearly tripped his stupid ass. The chickenshit dick head wouldn't even look directly at me when he got to where he was going, and I he knew I was staring his ass down waiting for him to say something.

Other than that the show rocked, but I love bikes too much to say otherwise

The optimist believes that we live in the best of all possible worlds...
The pessimist fears this to be true.

<----Shane

Shane's Facebook
post #29 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 02:39 PM
rider for life

Sportbike: CBR1100XX
Years Riding: First let the clutch out in 1972
How you found us: no- you found me

Quote:
Originally posted by cailin
i work for a trade show organization. we do not allow strollers or wheeled luggage on the floor at our show for mere fact that they are a hazzard, especially in large crowds. while i can certainly sympathize with parents who want to bring the kids, its really not the place, imo.
The post above demonstrates absolute common sense and avoids all of the emotional screeching...well said.
post #30 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 03:21 PM
Man with Big Hose

Sportbike: '01 Track only GSXR 600. No more street riding :(
Years Riding: Pick a number between 1 and 10? Opps now 1 and 11
How you found us: Champ91 in 2002

Send a message via AIM to Pugsly Send a message via MSN to Pugsly
Quote:
Originally posted by cailin
what are you smoking? a motorcycle show is no place for kids?

what about wheel chairs like someone else said? By that mentality you cannot alllow them either, but please show how strollers are ANY differant than wheel chairs?

I think this whole argument stems from tha fact that this show was WAY too crowded. period. I would love to see what the max capacity is rated at and what the attendance was at say noon on saturday and I gurantee that place well exxceeded it's capacity. Had there been any incident, I gurantee you that there was no way everyone was getting out safely, stroller or no strollers.

Also, by the menatallity of some here, I should get pissed off at everyone that banged into me with there plastic bags. BAN THOSE PLASTIC bags, those people who carry them are rude and inconsiderate, plus they are unsafe and someone could suffocate!!!!!!( oh wait, i was one of those pricks, damn it!!! )

Grow up all you childless whinners and realize that this is a no win argument for either side

That Boy Just Ain't Right
CCS #414
PARTS411.COM
Lockhart Phillips USA

NESBA #414 Advanced
2001 GSXR 600

Last edited by Pugsly; 02-08-2004 at 03:35 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode