Nextels, are they worth it? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
To Punish and Enslave

Sportbike: A 10 speed :(
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: I know the dude that runs the website

Send a message via AIM to Jimbo Send a message via Yahoo to Jimbo
Nextels, are they worth it?

My fiancé wants a Nextel, we have AT&T now and the service has been better I think then Nextel. We go camping a lot and I have a Nextel for work and I take it to see if it works where we go. Out of the 8 places we been camping, the Nextel has only worked in 1 place that we been too, the AT&T has worked in 7 of the 8, and I think thats better then the Nextel. Our freiends have Nextels and They are nice, and to me, you can have a real consevation with the walkie-talkie part. Soemtimes I find it anoying when we are out and people have to talk on then, I don't need to here people talk anf now the person they are talking too while I'm eating my dinner. I know she would be one of those people, we always put our phones on vibate. So what doyou people think about Nextel's, do you think they are worht it????

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
hahahaha, nice try. Everyone knows men age like wine and women age like milk. It's a scientific fact!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 11:30 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

i have had nextels for years, and i find it worth it, as a phone and as a business tool.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 11:32 AM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

I've only had Verizon and Nextel and am glad I went to Nextel. I had real BAD reception with Verizon and heard that from other people also.

I would also say for the monthly it was cheaper then Verizon.

bout all I can add

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 11:38 AM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

I have been a Nextel customer for three years.

Stay away from Nextel unless you need two way or you need very rugged phones. Service is shitty, same thing for customer service.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 11:41 AM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. D
Service is shitty, same thing for customer service.
I've only had 1 bad experience with there customer sevice, but got that fixed the next time I called. I changed my plan and the guy never did it so I had to call back and get that fixed.

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
To Punish and Enslave

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. D
I have been a Nextel customer for three years.

Stay away from Nextel unless you need two way or you need very rugged phones. Service is shitty, same thing for customer service.
That's another thing, AT&T customer service I think is great. When I call them and I'm pissed off, I hang up the phone very happy and pleasesd.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
hahahaha, nice try. Everyone knows men age like wine and women age like milk. It's a scientific fact!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
To Punish and Enslave

I was thinking keep my AT&T cell and let her get a Nextel and she can call me on my work Nextel. Right now I have a shared plan with AT&T and have 9 months to go on the contract, I don't know if they would let 1 cell go and keep the other cell for the rest of the contract so we don't pay fees.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 12:02 PM

My wife and I have Nextels because I had one with my old job and her brother had one so she got one too. Personally, I'm not thrilled with them and I think it is waaay overpriced. It's almost $150/month for the two of us. The 2-way feature is nice for quick stuff, but you can't hold a real conversation. I'm not a big phone person anyway so I could do with something much more basic.

Just my $.02
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 12:03 PM
VTwin FTW!

Sportbike: 2013 Ducati Diavel Cromo
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: Friend

I've had Nextel for about 3-4 years and I think they are fine. I'm in sales and travel all over, and haven't had too many problems with reception. I would recommend them.

With the 2 way radio thing, you could set it so the person on the other end could be heard through the external speaker (which I agree is annoying), or through the earpiece like a regular phone call.

Mike
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 01:09 PM
vrrooooooom!

Sportbike: 01 honda 929rr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: from a member of fireblades.org

Send a message via AIM to trey
I have nextel and have for about a year, its ok, the walkie talkie is cool and you can turn the volume down so that no one else can hear ya. I had verizon and was also happy with them as well, there customer service will soo bend over for you.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 04:02 PM
Is this Russia?

Sportbike: Formerly a Bandit 1200S
Years Riding: Since '94
How you found us: your mom

Send a message via Yahoo to MadMax1996
I've used a Nextel for the past 5 yrs. My current and previous employer have provided them to me for free. I don't have to deal with any customer service issues so I can't comment on that.

Obviously the 2-way feature is a strong selling point and my friend got a couple for him and his wife when they were expecting their twins. If she needed anything, my buddy was only a click away.

Around here you're going to get excellent reception and as far as I know Nextel doesn't guarantee reception inside a structure. My office is a very heavy user of them (a few hundred units at least) and we have our building internally wired for reception so they work great on all 7 floors (including lower level) of the building I'm in as well as the other 4 buildings we have in the area.

When I took my road trip out to South Dakota I was just going to take my Nextel (they give us 250 mins a month free). I checked the service area of Nextel and after you leave Wisconsin they had pretty much no coverage. The i1000 I have isn't a dual band phone so as soon as you leave the the coverage area you get nothing - no roaming available. Not sure about their new models.

I just checked the coverage and it seems much better than it was a year or so ago... but keep that in mind if you plan on traveling off the beaten path.

Also - the battery life of the Motorola phones SUCK. AT&T (as well as other carriers) offer multiple brands of phones so you can usually get one with a pretty good battery life. In fact, I was so fed up with my Nextel crappin out on me, I picked up a cell phone for myself for the first time ever just so I could have a phone with a reliable battery life.

I'd only get a Nextel if you really think you'll get a good use out of the 2-way feature. Otherwise just go with a regular wireless carrier.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 05:50 PM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
I just check the plans at Nextal and it seems if your in BFE you not going to have a phone. Where as a regular cell phone you will. Nextal works great along all major highways and interstates but that is it. I have the book from Nextal and looked up coverage in Arkansas cause we have friends down there, the why we travel to get there over the Ozark Mtn, we'd be with out service for a while.

Time to go look at a regualer cell phine.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 07:57 PM

I've been using NEXTEL for about 4 years. The coverage/reception is getting better, but there are still some places I go where the reception is crappy or nonexistant. I'm happy enough with them, I use it for work all the time and my wife has one too. But, if you're hapy with what you have, I wouldn't bother changing, especially mid contract with someone else. I also understand the need to keep the woman happy, so good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode