2014: What's in store? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

2014: What's in store?

Happy New Year CLSB! Sooner or later all this snow is going to melt and we'll be getting back to enjoying motorcycling! What are your plans? Let's hear about some of the rides and events on your radar screen for 2014!
For me, in addition to all the road riding I kind of just do naturally, there are of course the usual events I never miss like the 2 Springfield miles, Mods vs. Rockers, Davenport Antique MC swap & show, AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days, and for the first time in 2 years I won't have a conflict with the Peoria Grand National TT!
New for this year are a round of the AMA Vintage Dirt Track series at Henry IL. Henry is a track that I raced on many, many times in my flat trackin' days and it's going to be fun to attend a race there...also the AMA Vintage MX series has rounds in Illinois, Michigan and Indiana and my B 50 MX BSA has been idle for a couple of seasons...I certainly intend to get out and make some noise with it a time or 2!
After some late season dirt riding last Fall (including a ride in the Nevada desert on part of the old Barstow to Vegas course) I am very excited about doing more dirt rides and events.
AND...I've finally got the GS 1100 I picked up for the strip ready to just load and go!
Sounds like alot and it is but, I'll get a good portion of it in...I always do! Riding sure beats golf for a retirement activity!

How about you? What has you looking forward to the riding season? Post up! Let's talk motorcycles! CLSB can use the activity and it will help pass the time until we can ride again! ..........(unless you have an ice bike but, that's another thread!)

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Go ahead, I'll catch up

Sportbike: 2013 RM-Z 250
Years Riding: Don't know anymore
How you found us: Saw a sticker on a bike

Maybe a trip to Club57. Maybe Rich Oliver's Two day fun camp. Plans are being discussed to try desert riding in either CA or Utah. At some point, I would like to try one of the local GPs or hare scramble or whatever is the easiest woods event.

Take care and ride safe,
Brian
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 11:36 AM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Closing on a house soon so I will finally have a garage to store my shit in.............and call Stan to come over and fix it - Want new Bars for the Pig and a Tach - Then I can bother Troy every Sat Night about riding Sun Mornings

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 01:03 PM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
Ride my pedal pushers more then ever.

I will be searching for an old FZR1000 or something along those lines...

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 07:12 PM

Sportbike: CBR F4i, Kawi ZX6E
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Google

Once I get a for real full time gig(instead of long term contract work), I'd LOVE to pick up another 90s sportbike restore project. Really have my heart set on a CBR F3.

Also, I have yet to do a track day, I wouldnt mind finding some junk track plastics,some engine covers and a shitty old tank to swap back and forth between street and track for the F4i.

Oh, wouldnt mind scoring an old ZX7 either.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 07:34 PM

Sportbike: ZX9R
Years Riding: 10+ years
How you found us: Gixxer Tony

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1shadyninja
More Riding, More Shooting, Less Working.. That about sums it up for me.

Our Company Facebook ==> http://on.fb.me/TYp7jw
First Place Oils
Check out what AMSOIL has for your bike!
See this post ----> https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...1&postcount=16
Click here for our CLSB SPECIAL!" https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...68#post2010368
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 01:15 PM
Fried SPAM n Eggs anyone?

Sportbike: 2002 GSXR-1000
Years Riding: since Z. Cavaricci pants were in ;-)
How you found us: saQ"C"1

Send a message via Yahoo to jesson0204
Looking to ride a lot more in 2014. Not enough the past few years.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 12:50 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Sigh, I think I'm done. Had spinal decompression and fusion last month after fighting it for years. The pain before the surgery was... interesting. I wouldn't wish it on a Tea Party member or ex-wife. I'm coming along and should make a strong recovery, but my girl and surgeon would probably kill me if I start messing around again and I wouldn't blame them. I don't think I'd like my lifestyle if I had to have a 2nd back surgery. The titanium bits in my body are just getting too numerous.

The 929 will go on sale this spring. Someone will get a good street/track bike for cheap.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runner View Post
Sigh, I think I'm done. Had spinal decompression and fusion last month after fighting it for years. The pain before the surgery was... interesting. I wouldn't wish it on a Tea Party member or ex-wife. I'm coming along and should make a strong recovery, but my girl and surgeon would probably kill me if I start messing around again and I wouldn't blame them. I don't think I'd like my lifestyle if I had to have a 2nd back surgery. The titanium bits in my body are just getting too numerous.

The 929 will go on sale this spring. Someone will get a good street/track bike for cheap.
Welcome to the Party..........hence my overpriced turd of a couch with EXCEPTIONAL braking prowess

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 02:32 PM
Resident Slow guy

Sportbike: 250x_Dirtbike Triumph_Tripled_955i 90_H-D_Bagger CR80_Mini_Motard
Years Riding: Street_LOOOOOOONG_Time Track Backmarker
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Ohfugit
Hope you heal up well Bruce!

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 02:49 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
Welcome to the Party..........hence my overpriced turd of a couch with EXCEPTIONAL braking prowess
LOL, I think my back problems are less than yours. This should fuse up well. Dirt bikes take a bigger toll. Sucks getting old, doesn't it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohfugit View Post
Hope you heal up well Bruce!
Thanks D. So do I!

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 03:02 PM
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runner View Post
LOL, I think my back problems are less than yours. This should fuse up well. Dirt bikes take a bigger toll. Sucks getting old, doesn't it. !
That is does - My Spine is missing a chunk but I like to think I make up for it in charm and wit - Nerve is still kind of wincie here and there if I move or twist wrong - It always goes out when I try and blow myself but that is for another thread...

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

It's good to know you're still getting some...

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 09:51 AM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by singram View Post
Once I get a for real full time gig(instead of long term contract work), I'd LOVE to pick up another 90s sportbike restore project. Really have my heart set on a CBR F3.

Also, I have yet to do a track day, I wouldnt mind finding some junk track plastics,some engine covers and a shitty old tank to swap back and forth between street and track for the F4i.

Oh, wouldnt mind scoring an old ZX7 either.
Saw this yesterday. Looks like a good find

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/4260054995.html
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 09:53 AM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

This is basically the only thing I am focusing on for the 2014 season. Can't wait to race it

http://www.ppihc.com/
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 10:25 AM

Sportbike: KTM / Suzuki
Years Riding: Long enough
How you found us: Geomoto

I'm hoping to hit all 4 rounds of the RacerX Senior Championship MX series this year.

http://www.mxvets.com/

They haven't announced the 2014 schedule yet, but I know when 3 of 4 are and they don't conflict with any of the big plans the wife has for me yet...

Other than that, going to hit as many MX practice days at Byron, KI, Mt. Carroll, and Sunset Ridge as possible with a couple other races mixed in if the stars allign. Oh, yeah, and ride every Wednesday evening at East Dundee Motorsports Park once it opens up.

Also, now that I have my garage set up at home and my old '86 GSXR out of storage where it has been for 3 years, I'm going to hang some new tires on it and try to get out from time to time. Including at least a couple Sunday morning rides with Bug.

---------------------------
Colin.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 10:55 AM
Go ahead, I'll catch up

Is anyone going to the arenacross in Milwaukee on Feb 1?

Take care and ride safe,
Brian
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 10:56 AM
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto804 View Post
Including at least a couple Sunday morning rides with Bug.
That just warmed my heart

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G View Post
This is basically the only thing I am focusing on for the 2014 season. Can't wait to race it

http://www.ppihc.com/
G2G,

Like the Isle of Man and Bonneville, Pikes Peak is one of those events that almost everyone wants to try but few ever get around to doing. One of my friends did it a year or so ago and was ecstatic over just making it to the top!
Good luck and keep us posted on the experience.

Moto804

The RacerX Senior races is one of those events that I'd love to participate in if I had a modern bike. Good racing at the best tracks in our area. If you have an older bike that would fit the vintage classes offered, maybe you could squeeze in a round or 2 of the AMA Vintage series...They have rounds at Walnut, Casey and Log Road in addition to the Vintage Days Mid Ohio event. Good luck to you...Keep us posted on how your series goes.

Anyone else? Anyone with some special road racing or drag racing plans? How about a dirt bike or dual sport adventure or a long distance tour planned?

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 11:24 AM

Sportbike: SUPERMOTO & DIRTY 450rr CR525af
Years Riding: few
How you found us: SOME JCAT

Well my plan is to race complete NWGP series and go back to Sturgis for USA pro round
and the SMEC round at OVRP. Other then that try to ride as much ice,dirt and supermoto as I can
Braaaaap
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
Moto804

The RacerX Senior races is one of those events that I'd love to participate in if I had a modern bike. Good racing at the best tracks in our area. If you have an older bike that would fit the vintage classes offered, maybe you could squeeze in a round or 2 of the AMA Vintage series...They have rounds at Walnut, Casey and Log Road in addition to the Vintage Days Mid Ohio event. Good luck to you...Keep us posted on how your series goes.
Yeah, I've actually been working on my dad to get his old '78 CCM race bike up and running and hit a couple Vintage events. It hasn't run since he stopped racing it back in '85, so I have never had a chance to hit the track with it (I was 9 at the time and that thing is still intimidating to me now let alone then).

Realistically, anything more than 2.5-3 hrs from the home base isn't going to happen this year, but maybe Walnut, RA and possibly some of the Midwest VMX events.

I also have a PW 50 for my 2 girls and I'm hoping to get them started and do some playing around with them. My 6 yo really isn't showing much interest, but my 4 yo is starting to chomp at the bit and always wants to help me work on stuff in the garage.

Colin.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
That just warmed my heart
I guess that's better than a warm fart!

Colin.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 11:41 AM
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto804 View Post
I guess that's better than a warm fart!
When I think of you and farts, Roman and the Russian Atomic Ass Gas come to mind in your Motorhome - That and Sadie's toots keeping me warm as i use her as a pillow

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 04:09 PM
Go ahead, I'll catch up

I have been looking into vintage bikes with the idea of running some of the local VMX races. It looks like fun. The maintenance part concerns me a little. I imagine that if you stick with a Japanese bike you can probably find parts out there.

Take care and ride safe,
Brian
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 04:20 PM
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilama View Post
.I have been looking into vintage bikes with the idea of running some of the local VMX races. It looks like fun. The maintenance part concerns me a little. I imagine that if you stick with a Japanese bike you can probably find parts out there.
We have a Stan, he can find, fix or fuck anything out there - I think he even has a vintage Husker MX in his possession if memory serves

post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 04:29 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

In 2014, I plan on posting my shit on Facebook!

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 10:40 PM
Let's boogie!

Sportbike: Proven Winner
Years Riding: Since you were on the teat..
How you found us: The Big Sur Merlot & Mescaline Tasting Tour

The end of the world as you know it. But, don't worry, you'll feel fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maoisn View Post
There will always be a better ride out there. It's not the bike that bends, it's the rider. There is no spoon.
CCS/ASRA #904

Sponsored by: TeamMCC.com

Yep, still.

Farmboys Garage
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 10:26 AM
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy69 View Post
...Birthday Party Cheese Cake Jelly Bean BOOM

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy69 View Post
The Mayans beat you to that prediction..............they were wrong.

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 05:30 PM

Sportbike: lots
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: grasshopper

Spend more time riding and less time fixing other peoples bikes.

fully recover from OHS.and enjoy my new antique CB1100.

Many week end trips to Wis. Join me

Gus
We offer three kinds of service @ Resurrection
GOOD - CHEAP - FAST
You can pick any two
GOOD service CHEAP won't be FAST
GOOD service FAST won't be CHEAP
FAST service CHEAP won't be GOOD
and cold beer.

I'd love to help but I don't chase parts.
Please contact other forum members and supporters for parts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode