O-ring out of last oil change.. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
1 piece at a time

Sportbike: Ninja ZX-6'DinoSaki'
Years Riding: Since I joined!
How you found us: teh intarwebz

Send a message via AIM to hexraptor Send a message via MSN to hexraptor Send a message via Yahoo to hexraptor
O-ring out of last oil change..

Any idea what an O-ring would be doing at the base of a cylinder sleeve?.. What adverse effects might a missing one have when ran? (93 zx6d if it makes a difference). There's a seperate hose from the main oil passage to the cylinder head, so I'm not too worried that the head has lost lubrication at least..

I'm most likely not going to mess with it, unless I'm bored over the summer and decide to tear it down for fun, and to check exhaust valve condition (was a dumbass when I first got the bike,and didn't know what kind of havoc an opened exhaust could cause)

Here's the microfiche
zx6dengine.jpg

tia

- Steve

Last edited by hexraptor; 01-27-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 12:18 PM
Wisconsin FIB

Sportbike: Speed Triple 06 Blue
Years Riding: Since June 2002
How you found us: Pilotx1

That o-ring typically seals the coolant passage from the crankcase. No o-ring, might get coolant in your oil (might stay sealed with steel flange on aluminum). O-ring slides around the cylinder sleeve and rides under the top flange......which is all slid into the jug assembly, then installed over the pistons, and sandwiched by the cylinder head. Sometimes the bottom of the cylinder sleeve is captured as well (additional sealing point).

I'm confused why you think its missing. Milky oil?

Last edited by TripleZ; 01-27-2014 at 12:21 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
1 piece at a time

Send a message via AIM to hexraptor Send a message via MSN to hexraptor Send a message via Yahoo to hexraptor
Well I had a relatively long O-ring come out while draining the oil, and that's the only one I could find in any parts explosion that looks close in size.

I haven't ridden it since though, so no chance to look at oil for coolant contamination. I suppose I could borrow a workmate's coolant pressure tester to see if it holds pressure or not. Thanks for the info btw!

- Steve
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 04:52 PM
Wisconsin FIB

Sportbike: Speed Triple 06 Blue
Years Riding: Since June 2002
How you found us: Pilotx1

Pics? Could be a bead of sealant. Has the motor been recently rebuilt (or valve cover pulled / sealed with black RTV)?

Most of the cylinder sleeve o-ring arrangements I've seen, can't make it to the sump....or if they did, it wouldn't be in recognizable pieces. If you still have your old filter, cut it apart (can opener or dedicated filter cutter / NOT a hacksaw or cutoff wheel). Check for debris there.

I would say, without metal chips or making oil (water / fuel contamination), run it until it goes BRAAAAAP........BANG! Clatter clatter ka-chunk.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 10:05 PM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
could it be the oil filter oring?

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
1 piece at a time

I had thought it might be a bead of sealant..but it looked too perfectly cylindrical when I looked at it.. And now that you mention it being at the top lip of the sleeve it'd make sense that it wouldn't likely make it to the pan in one piece. I did do the valve cover gasket ~6 years ago, can't remember that I used any RTV except for where indents for cams are installed (excuse the lack of correct terminology lol)

Sorry, no pics.. I remember it being about the length from wrist to near fingertip, maybe 1-2mm thick. This was last spring actually, haven't gotten to ride since then

I doubt it was the oil filter gasket, it's a spin on filter up front with a square seal..

The bike's a bucket of problems though, seeping oil from front center of head/piston mating area (head gasket failure?), sounds like valve chain slaps, poor response off idle, poor performance >3/4 throttle.. not to mention needing to do brakes, tires, and cush drive. I'm sure a lot of the performance issues are carb related, as I just used needle height settings from a similar altitude/temp/modification chart when I jetted it for the muzzys exhaust. Still need to research/learn how to tune carbs yet.. (more complicated than I first thought haha)

It would be fun to tear apart, but I've got none of the tools to pull/install anything on a shaft, compress rings, work with valves, etc. yet.

- Steve
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 10:57 AM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
all the spin on filters I use on my bikes have oring seals thats why I asked

-Jason
CCS AM #31

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode