1969 HONDA SANDCAST CB750 $130K on eBay - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Automotive Afficianado

Sportbike: Trek
Years Riding: 3285 days and counting
How you found us: CLSB found me...

Send a message via AIM to Julian@MotoCARR
1969 HONDA SANDCAST CB750 $130K on eBay

Woah!
BikerNet Blog

Quote:
THE CB750 SANDCAST PROTOTYPE!

THE HISTORY

Many know the story of the first Superbike: when Mr. Soichiro Honda started a 4 cylinder revolution back in 1969, with his “King of Motorcycles”. It was the bike that changed motorcycling.

That CB750 featured a transverse in-line 4 cylinder 736cc engine, that produced 67 horsepower, and a top speed of 125 miles per hour. It also came with an electric starter and a disc brake!

The first 7000 or so CB750s that came off the factory assembly line in Japan back in 1969, had engine cases that were cast in sand.

Those scarce early sandcast CB750s now regularly command high prices amongst collectors around the world.

THE PROTOTYPE

What only some sandcast aficionados know, is that before the now rare sandcast CB750s were produced in 1969, Honda determined that they first needed to build a set of “preproduction” prototypes to market their “The King of Motorcycles” to the American public. So in 1968 they decided to build samples of this new ground breaking CB750 to unveil at their annual Las Vegas Motorcycle Dealer Show, as well as to provide eye-candy for the various trade magazines, and for promotional photography, advertisements, etc.

What Honda sent over to the U.S. were 4 preproduction bikes:

• A Candy Red prototype

• A Candy Gold prototype

• A Candy Dark Green Metallic prototype

• And the feature of this special auction, the Candy Blue/Green prototype

These 4 special preproduction bikes were literally hand-built by Honda technicians, using many hundreds of unique one-off preproduction parts, to promote their new flagship line of motorcycles.

The unique character of these rare preproduction bikes is readily noticeable when examining each and every component part. For example:

• One-off sandcast engine covers, featuring an external “double step” on the Alternator cover

• A wedge shaped transmission cover, fitting UNDER the Alternator cover

• Very unusual clutch and valve covers (both appearing nothing like the street bike counterparts, and are very rough cast)

• A one of a kind Billet Crankshaft (meaning it was turned and machined from one solid chunk of special steel bar)

• Chrome fenders showing (under the chrome plating) engineer’s scribe marks to mark off where holes should be drilled

• Hand hammered/welded exhaust pipes

• One-off special cast by Keihin 26mm carb assemblies

• Handmade white plastic parts throughout the motorcycle (while street version bikes have all black pieces)

• Longer rear fender having brazed on turn signal stems

• A 43 tooth rear sprocket (vs. 45 for production)

• No handlebar kill switch

• No provision for a tool tray under the seat

• Sandcast “hollow” fuel tank emblems

• Cast gas cap and latch

• And literally hundreds more of distinctly different parts than standard, many of which are illustrated in the enclosed photos (Note: ALL vintage American Honda photos and flyers seen here are of the exact bike in this auction)

What ever happened to those rare first four hand built bikes?

The Red bike was taken to the crushers in Iowa back in the early 1990s (I know, as we got there literally days too late, coming away with only a small handful of parts from it).

The Gold bike made its way to Europe, only to be completely disassembled by its owner (who has no intention of selling) and it has remained in that state for the last 25 years or so.

The Dark Green bike has never been heard from, thus leaving this (Blue/Green) bike left of the four.

The Blue/Green prototype motorcycle featured in this auction just happens to also be the (only) one American Honda used for all of its initial promotional brochures, flyers, and sales literature. Example photos of these early promotional items can be seen here, and most easily identified by the bike's very unusual front brake caliper.

I located this Prototype motorcycle through a friend some years ago, and quickly decided that it in fact did not need “restoration”, but rather just needed to be cleaned up and put back together, as the original paint and overall condition was quite nice. It is a very strong running motorcycle.

Please view the attached photographs to see more about this extraordinary motorcycle. Note: Where you see similar components shown in the same photo, it is simply a comparison between the part from this prototype, vs. a stock CB750 part.

ABOUT THE SELLER:

Vic World has a passion for Honda CB750s; that revolutionary motorcycle that turned the industry on it’s ear back in the summer of ’69. His particular area of expertise, is in the restoration of the rare early sandcast bikes, that were the first to roll off Honda’s Hamamatsu line back in early ’69. His thirty plus years of relentless focus on this motorcycle, has earned him the moniker of “Mr. CB750.” Vic is widely acknowledged as the premier restorer of these rare bikes and he has been written about in many trade publications, including a feature article by Mitch Boehm in Motorcyclist Retro. His restorations are highly sought after and have been purchased by museums, including a featured exhibition in Honda’s own Collection Hall Museum in Japan. American Honda owns a Vic World restoration, as does the Barber Museum in Birmingham, Alabama. Mr. World resides in San Francisco, where he operates World Motorcycles, a shop that specializes in the restoration of sandcast CB750s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CB750.jpg (49.6 KB, 19 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 03:48 PM
Pringles can user

Sportbike: 2005 YZ250
Years Riding: 1977
How you found us: Geo

WOW - I wish i was so rich i could buy a old POS classic for $130K! Imagine the quality Whores by the dozens you could buy for 130K

DO YOU WANT TO BE A BETTER DIRT OR MX RIDER OR LEARN TO RIDE DIRT?

CLICK THE LINK!

http://www.club57mx.com/

Wiping my last dump was like cleaning Laffy Taffy off a hot car dashboard.
Doug Stanhope

Thanks to my Sponsors - Gaerne, Protaper, ScottUSA, MSR, Motomaster Brake systems, Faction MX, Sunline, Dr D, EVS, DECAL WORKS.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 04:51 PM
PIKUACH NEFESH

Sportbike: Italian,British,Japanese,Czech
Years Riding: LONG TIME
How you found us: CRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnat View Post
WOW - I wish i was so rich i could buy a old POS classic for $130K! Imagine the quality Whores by the dozens you could buy for 130K
I agree , especially that its the chinese year of the whores .
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 03:53 PM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

Nice VIN stamp

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 05:01 PM
DONATING MEMBER

Sportbike: Trackdayz "I" bike!
Years Riding: since last year
How you found us: In a fortune cookie

I bid $120K. It's not worth much more than that.

------->> Best motorcycle shop ever!

http://www.chicagoperformance.com/
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 09:28 PM
Resident Slow guy

Sportbike: 250x_Dirtbike Triumph_Tripled_955i 90_H-D_Bagger CR80_Mini_Motard
Years Riding: Street_LOOOOOOONG_Time Track Backmarker
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Ohfugit
Amazon probably has one cheaper.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode