Camping - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: FZ6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: fz6 forum

Camping

I want to take the family for our first camping trip. Any ideas? Two kids 8 & 10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 02:43 AM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

There are a lot of variables that make it hard to just lay a quick answer on you. Are you pitching tents? Do you have a Pop-up? A camper-trailer? Plus, what other features are you looking for? Hiking, fishing etc.... I know Starved Rock State Park has a campground. My cousin takes his grandkids to Rock Cut state park near Rockford.
To make this simple I would recommend you check out the Illinois and Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources web pages. I'm positive they have an enormous amount of camping info that will help you enormously.
Good luck and have a great camping trip!

PS...My parents didn't discover and start camping until I was in my mid to late teens so, on the rare occasions when I went with them I didn't enjoy it much... BUT... my younger brothers did... Do this with your 8 & 10 year old...They're at an age where they'll love it and I'm sure you won't regret it!

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks OTB.

A little more info...I want this to be a "rustic" camping experience. We will bring one big tent and camp a night or two. Right now I have plan to do campfire, archery, BBQ. My son would like to do fishing. Need more ideas.

I would like the camp site to be somewhat secluded. I don't want people too close to us. I've been looking at sites and I'm overwhelmed. I needed suggestion or recommendation from you folks who actually went camping and have experienced.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 01:35 PM
Go ahead, I'll catch up

Sportbike: 2013 RM-Z 250
Years Riding: Don't know anymore
How you found us: Saw a sticker on a bike

Take them to Red Bud this weekend and camp in the "B" lot. It will be very quiet and secluded.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 03:39 PM
Obsessed and Deranged

Sportbike: SV1000S
Years Riding: too many years
How you found us: dumb luck

toni prekwinkle says south Holland is a great camping experience, and you should go there to help them get back the money ( 25 million tax dollars because we have so much money) they spent on Camp Shabbona Woods, lots of wildlife close by

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...522-story.html

Last edited by elroy121; 06-30-2015 at 03:42 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 06:01 PM
Resident Slow guy

Sportbike: 250x_Dirtbike Triumph_Tripled_955i 90_H-D_Bagger CR80_Mini_Motard
Years Riding: Street_LOOOOOOONG_Time Track Backmarker
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Ohfugit
Governer Dodge state park in wi is nice.
Rock cut is not quite as rustic but you can rent kayaks and canoes and there is mtbing there.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroy121 View Post
toni prekwinkle says south Holland is a great camping experience, and you should go there to help them get back the money ( 25 million tax dollars because we have so much money) they spent on Camp Shabbona Woods, lots of wildlife close by

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...522-story.html
I just did a quick wikipedia research on south Holland. It has 74.2% black population and 0.6% Asians. I'm not a racist out anything, but you think this will be a safe trip?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 04:00 PM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

South Holland is solidly middle class and up.

You will be fine.

Craig
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 04:03 AM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
There are a lot of variables that make it hard to just lay a quick answer on you. Are you pitching tents? Do you have a Pop-up? A camper-trailer? Plus, what other features are you looking for? Hiking, fishing etc.... I know Starved Rock State Park has a campground. My cousin takes his grandkids to Rock Cut state park near Rockford.
To make this simple I would recommend you check out the Illinois and Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources web pages. I'm positive they have an enormous amount of camping info that will help you enormously.
Good luck and have a great camping trip!

PS...My parents didn't discover and start camping until I was in my mid to late teens so, on the rare occasions when I went with them I didn't enjoy it much... BUT... my younger brothers did... Do this with your 8 & 10 year old...They're at an age where they'll love it and I'm sure you won't regret it!
Since when does camping have any variables. if you bringing a popup or camper or something that resembles a house you're not camping. CAMPING = TENTS if that

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2M View Post
Since when does camping have any variables. if you bringing a popup or camper or something that resembles a house you're not camping. CAMPING = TENTS if that
Agree. That's why I want this to be a rustic experience.

We have decided to postponed camping trip until the fall. I think the kids will complain about the hot weather and insects. Cooler weather should help.

So we will do a waterpark trip instead. Two choices: Timber Ridge Resort or Key Lime Cove.

Any other suggestions?

BTW, long time to see C2M. how the hell are you?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode