Tollways - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Go ahead, I'll catch up

Sportbike: 2013 RM-Z 250
Years Riding: Don't know anymore
How you found us: Saw a sticker on a bike

Tollways

Hi

I use the tollway to Byron 2 or 3 times a week. Recently, my credit card was hacked so I had to go to the toll site and change my iPass credit card number. While there, I saw what I am being charged. The Marengo and Belvediere tolls are $1.50 but with my open trailer, I am charged $6.30. I called and the customer service rep said that my car with a trailer is considered a medium truck which is classified as 3-4 axels. I thought there was a flat rate based on the trailer axels. Does anyone have any insight on this subject? I'm going to start taking a different route. I'm the kind of person who pays my taxes and doesn't complain much. It costs a lot to have what we have in the U.S. but, my round trip is costing me about $25 and that's nuts.

Take care and ride safe,
Brian

Last edited by brilama; 08-19-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 02:16 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

What are you towing dude and with what? - Bike and EZ Lift and call it a day - I towed my Dirty (your old dirty) and my Sumo with one and it was easy peasie

Most hitches have a 350lbs tongue weight and most EZ Lifts are less than 100lbs so with your 250 weighing about 230 lbs with fuel, you good homie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (59.7 KB, 30 views)

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Go ahead, I'll catch up

I'm towing an open 4'x8' trailer. My Subaru Outback 4cy has a tow capacity of 2,700lbs in the U.S. Supposedly, it is rated for 4,000lb in the UK. Some claim it is liability reasons why the auto manufacturers rate lower in the U.S. Not sure if that is true. The car might be to low for your type of hook up.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 02:40 PM
Bug

Nah - I had a way too stanza set up - You can get one to fit your Subbie - Check your Tongue Weight tho, not tow weight - Most are like 350lbs - My old Tuareg was 700

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Go ahead, I'll catch up

The manual has the tongue weight max at 200lbs.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 03:42 PM
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilama View Post
The manual has the tongue weight max at 200lbs.
Shit.......

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 11:52 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilama View Post
I'm towing an open 4'x8' trailer. My Subaru Outback 4cy has a tow capacity of 2,700lbs in the U.S. Supposedly, it is rated for 4,000lb in the UK. Some claim it is liability reasons why the auto manufacturers rate lower in the U.S. Not sure if that is true. The car might be to low for your type of hook up.
Its liability. Also I think the EU requires brakes on ALL trailers which the US doesnt on under 3000lbs.

As for the tollways, I think they changed that in the last couple years. When I came back from Autobahn I brought the interstate home and paid the same.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 10:18 AM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

There is no way in hell the Subi can handle a hitch mounted rack like that. Basically you will have to reroute ur trip. or take the plates off the car and trailer to avoid tolls.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 11:55 AM
sv corners faster than r6

Sportbike: 09R6/13KTM 250xc race,SV1K,g1 sv proj.
Years Riding: >30 yrs
How you found us: Under a rock

I guess my 06 Forester XT will have the same problem. Not sure I'm being charged for the trailer since the plate is on one of the wheelwells. i'd love to have the option of using that rack though...

SV88/SVR6/Steve sv23
CCS MW 88 AMA Enduro B 631
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 03:47 PM
Obsessed and Deranged

Sportbike: SV1000S
Years Riding: too many years
How you found us: dumb luck

I get butt raped almost every weekend by the tollway, pulling my trailer to Byron/KI I expensive and going to wisc for supermoto is bad too, the last toll going north is a killer, round trip is about $30

do not buy a hauler that lifts the bike like that no matter how much bug says they are OK they are NOT!!!! only use one that has a long tray that both wheels go on

I have seen the results of a friends MX bike falling off one of those lift carriers , 100% destroyed

they clamp the footpegs down, poor design , wheels drag, bug will come on and tell you how wrong I am but I know what ive seen, those carriers should be outlawed !!!!!!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 03:53 PM
Obsessed and Deranged

Sportbike: SV1000S
Years Riding: too many years
How you found us: dumb luck

I worked for ASV in cali the first few years , this bike was bobs friends, bob bought it to show that the asv levers survived where almost no other parts are salvageable , this bike came off the ez lift carrier on the highway, would you trust it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trashedsuzie.jpg (150.0 KB, 22 views)
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 04:20 PM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

All due respect - I've been using my MX Hauler for years and years with no problems. Maybe I'm just lucky - or maybe your buddy was unlucky. From my personal experience, I can't imagine how many things would have to to wrong simultaneously to result in a total failure. Done correctly -I would think it's as reliable as any other method of transport short of an enclosed trailer.

Funny aside, I now have the same VW that bug used to have. Imitation is a form of flattery I suppose.

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 04:34 PM
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I now have the same VW that bug used to have. Imitation is a form of flattery I suppose.
I have yet another one amigo - My lease was up on the GLI so I got back into a Twa-Reg

2015 V6 Executive - LOVE this thing - Slow as the day is long but drives like a car (my '09 had the turning radius of 1956 Toro Riding Mower) and has more options then I even know how it use

Looks just like the one - Oh and Elroy, of all the folks I know of who have ever used a MX hauler, you and your 'One Buddy" story are the only bad thing I have ever heard - I even used to haul Sumos with mine and never an issue
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg -1102743558-1425510672925..jpeg (42.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpeg -309964745-1425510689113..jpeg (45.4 KB, 14 views)

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 05:10 PM

Looking forward to following in your diminutive footprints again in a few years after I run my 09 into the ground. Hoping the TDI is more affordable by then.

<---- Patrick

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 07:32 AM
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

Looking forward to following in your diminutive footprints again in a few years after I run my 09 into the ground. Hoping the TDI is more affordable by then.
I had no plans on going this route - I was ACTUALLY going to trick out a Jetta TDI Wagon with Springs to Lower it, Chip the Turbo and add 18 inch Wheels and tint the windows and add a different roof rack - As I was pricing out all the extras, The Finc Manager brought my now Twareg around and said, "just go drive it and tell me what you think from this to your '09" - I came back and said, "Scratch the Yayta Wagon, draw up the paperwork on the Twareg, she drives AMAZINGLY well"

Yeah man, the TDIs are crazy expensive - This V6 is okay with me as I am not towing anything other than a dog and family shit now - With the 8 speed tranny, in 'D" it gets okay MPG - Its when I put it in "S" and nail it then you can see the fuel gauge drop as the Rs go up

The '09s are rather sought after now as they are more rugged and drive like a true SUV vs the street version I now have - I LOVED my old one Bro and she never let me down

Last edited by Bug; 08-21-2015 at 07:35 AM.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 12:48 PM

Also - 1956 Toro? This was the closest I could find, and I'm still a bit confused at the analogy.

<---- Patrick

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 01:11 PM
Bug

That's a '55 Bro - '56 is when they switched to a larger Fetzer Valve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a55697.jpg (133.1 KB, 8 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode