More work leaving Chicago area - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
To Punish and Enslave

Sportbike: A 10 speed :(
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: I know the dude that runs the website

Send a message via AIM to Jimbo Send a message via Yahoo to Jimbo
More work leaving Chicago area

I just heard that Radio-Flyer wagons will be made in China. The plant will be closed at the end of the year and the workers laid off. THIS SUCKS!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
hahahaha, nice try. Everyone knows men age like wine and women age like milk. It's a scientific fact!!

Last edited by Jimbo; 03-30-2004 at 10:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 10:35 PM
a hollow voice says plugh

Sportbike: sold
Years Riding: legally- 7
How you found us: don't remember

Send a message via AIM to Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Zero
Wow, I just saw a Wild Chicago episode doing a tour of the Radio-Flyer factory...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 11:24 PM

I totally agree... US factories with unskilled labor should continue to act as a form of welfare for American workers.

Although I'll admit, the Chinesse goverment isn't playing with a level playing field.... but US workers can't expect ot get paid $10+/hour for manual assmebly work.

Now if that factory was mostly CNC...great.

Bottom line, if the company can make it for less, they will sell it for less to beat the competition and the US dollar will go farther. The US based company will get a larger profit and share that with US mannagement, sales, marketing, finance...etc. They may even spend more dollars on advertisement...which does what class?... creats more higher paying advertising jobs.

Thank you for listening to cherrypickers macroeconomics 101. In 201 we talk about tariffs, trade deficits and minimum wages which really complicate the whole issue.

Come on folks...we need to look more long term. It sucks that some dude with a HS degree, no particular trade of skill, will now be unemployed. Maybe we need more porgrams ot help teach these prople a trade. I'd chip in and extra 0.01% in taxes to pay for more employess education... but I'm not interested in paying $2 more for a childrens toy just ot fund what is effectively a IL welfare program.

"Made in the USA" on non-technical manufactured goods... reads ot me... "10% of the proceeds will pay this weeks beer and cigarette for a lazy, overpaid, unskilled underacheiving, US factory worker

I APPLOGIZE FOR THE USE OF ANY UNFAIR GENERALIZATIONS TO GET EXPRESS MY LACK OF SYMPATHY FOR ANOTHER FACTORY CLOSING DOWN.

Americans have been complaining abotu this for the last 40 years... first it was the Japanesse after WWI....funny we don't complain anymore now that we have high tech Japanesse electronic toys to play with..... now it's China. Next it will be somewhere in Africa.

THe Chinesse working overseas ot make stuff...sure make teh illegal Mexican immgrants look pretty good. At least they spend some of their money here before wirinng most of it across the border.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 11:28 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

we are starting to rely on 3rd world markets to much, and 1 of the big ones of them all will cost us 3.00 a gallon for cheap gas, to go to work, and make you work for gas.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 12:30 AM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

i'm gonna have to agree with cherry on this one.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 12:35 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

i kinda agree to about radio flyer, but the trend might be going the wrong way, hope not.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 02:22 AM
Banned

Sportbike: Kawasaki Zx-10 Ninja
Years Riding: since i was 5
How you found us: sbn

im not into business that much

but we cant have every joe with a college education. If that happened, a lot more people would be out of jobs. Like advertising, IT people, etc....

we need jobs that people who decided to quit highschool, decided to do manual labor have something to do.

i hope this makes sense cuz its 1am illinois time

everythings going to be computerized, cars might be 100% reliable and wont need any type of service, janitors wont be needed cuz we got Homeshopping club remote control vacuums, mc donalds will be robotic. Some of them are with the french fry fryers.

blah, im going to bed

what im trying to say is if everyong got degrees, will we have too many qualified people with no jobs? Because we will no longer need service,hands on, customer service jobs out there?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 09:14 AM
Please attend carefully..

Sportbike: 2000 ZX6R (the green one!)
Years Riding: 2000
How you found us: I've been here a while...

Cherry,

If anyone is going to say that the cure is for people to learn the high-tech skills, I have some sobering news: those are the jobs that are being outsourced these days! Trust me, I work in IT.

And this situation saddens me especially because Radio Flyer is headquartered less than a mile down the street from me, so it is a local economic issue for me.

"Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it." - JP2

"Life is just a place where we spend time between games" - former Philadelphia Flyers coach Fred Shero

"everyone's a nutjob, some just have more restraint than others" - EndlessRR
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 09:19 AM

Sportbike: Trek
Years Riding: not often enough
How you found us: umm, my husband owns the site

The headquarters is staying but the plant with 45 jobs is going overseas. So we are only loosing 45 jobs, just so you have an idea of job amount.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode