Car Audio options on the Grand Prix. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Car Audio options on the Grand Prix.

Okay folks,

The CD player crapped out on the Grand Prix. In general, when replacing the stereo with some other brand, will the steering wheel controls still work? Those are pretty darn handy while driving.

I figure with all the car/stereo guru's on here, somebody would know. I'm not going for anything really fancy, just comparable to the one that I have in there now (maybe a bit better).

-Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 12:24 PM
Grand Master Crash

Sportbike: none for now
Years Riding: ...classified...
How you found us: My psychic advisor told me about it

Re: Car Audio options on the Grand Prix.

Quote:
Originally posted by Grover
Okay folks,

The CD player crapped out on the Grand Prix. In general, when replacing the stereo with some other brand, will the steering wheel controls still work? Those are pretty darn handy while driving.
Generally, NO. But I think that Alpine makes a box that interfaces between their HU's and the steering wheel controls to retain their function.

Try going to a reputable stereo shop (not Best Buy or Circuit City) and asking. I'd recommend Absolute Sound in McHenry. East side of 31 just south of 120.

Jim

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 12:39 PM

Sportbike: 06 CBR600RR
Years Riding: bought my first street bike in 2000

if you liked your stock headunit....you may wanna get another one off of ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2470229881
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 06:45 PM

I had a GTP for 4 years, so I know a bit about this...

There is a way you can connect an aftermarket stereo to the steering wheel controls...

But you'll lose your radio/CD options in your Heads-Up Display. So it's not worth it. Buy a replacement off eBay.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
BEER!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jynxx
I had a GTP for 4 years, so I know a bit about this...

There is a way you can connect an aftermarket stereo to the steering wheel controls...

But you'll lose your radio/CD options in your Heads-Up Display. So it's not worth it. Buy a replacement off eBay.
You mean the HUDs supposed to work after 35,000 miles? That thing crapped out LONG time ago. It occationally pops back, but is generally not there.

I bid on the Ebay one, but it's over $100 now. I'll see how it turns out.

Chris

NESBA/CCS #142

Last edited by Grover; 03-31-2004 at 08:37 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 08:48 PM
The Violator

Sportbike: A little bit of everything.
Years Riding: Not nearly enough!
How you found us: On a ride in Colorado

If you purchase an aftermarket receiver that has an infared remote control you should be ok. I used to be in that biz and I know there is at least 1 company that makes an interface which allows you to use the steering wheel controls along with an infared flasher to get this job done. You can also re-assign those controls to perform any feature that the new wireless remote control can do =) Feel free to contact Sounds Deluxe @ 630-887-9818 and ask for Gerry or Marty (the owners). Tell them you know me and the #'s should be pretty good.

Troy Malek
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 08:56 PM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Yes there are 2 different boxes that allow you to still use the controls.

One is made by PAC and I don't remember the other. Try going to www.clubgp.com and ask that in the stereo section. It's been awhile since I was gonna put a stereo in my GTP and just never got around to installing the shit. It just sits in the damn closet, HOPEFULLY this year I'll get around to it

Also if you go with a stock radio TRY and find one with the graphic EQ as it's better then the other POS.

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 10:14 PM

Quote:
You mean the HUDs supposed to work after 35,000 miles? That thing crapped out LONG time ago. It occationally pops back, but is generally not there.

I bid on the Ebay one, but it's over $100 now. I'll see how it turns out.

Chris

You're kidding me bro....I ran my GTP until 122,000 miles then traded her in for a Bonneville (3 months ago). The only thing that ever crapped out was my left side steering wheel control bulb. The buttons worked fine, just the red bulb burned out. Everything else on that car ran tip top.

Several of my friends and family members all own Grand Prix (GT's and GTP's) I know they're all in the 70K+ milage range and their cars are fine too.

Sound like you got a lemon

PS - my dorky friends and family that all drive GP's are members of the Chicago Grand Prix Club. If you PM me some parts you are missing, I can have them post it to their members for people in the area selling them. Might be able to snag parts alot cheaper than eBay. Plus everything's local.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
BEER!

I've got 112,000 miles on it. Aside from the belts getting destroyed by a leaking water pump, it's been okay. But last week on the way to Chills' the power window switch crapped out while it was down. The CD part actually broke a couple weeks ago. I did some damage trying to get the f'n window up, now it's officially hoopty and will probably be driven until it just craps out.

NESBA/CCS #142
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 11:04 PM

Yeah, if you're already up there in that mileage range, you might as well let it fall apart. There's a real strong engine in there though, so you might be driving it for awhile. According to one of my friends, one member of their club is at 170K miles on his original engine and tranny.

But if yours does die soon, there's always that new 04' GTP Comp G to look at
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
BEER!

Quote:
Yeah, if you're already up there in that mileage range, you might as well let it fall apart. There's a real strong engine in there though, so you might be driving it for awhile. According to one of my friends, one member of their club is at 170K miles on his original engine and tranny.

But if yours does die soon, there's always that new 04' GTP Comp G to look at
My needs have changed quite a bit since I bought this car right out of college. I'm currently leaning towards a Mazda 6 5 door or Maxima. I need decent gas mileage, towing capacity for a bike, and a manual transmission would be nice. The new Grand Prix's have less useful trunk capacity than the one I have now, which, albeit decent sized, can't fit shit in there because of the wheel wells.

Of course, by the time this car dies out there may be something else out there. Part of me wants to let it go when the tranny craps out (most likely to go first), but realistically, most transmission shops warranty their work for a year, so it should last that long if I replace it. A year's worth of car payments is way more than the $1500 or so for a tranny. I've been babying it with synthetic oil for 100000 miles, the motor better last.

NESBA/CCS #142
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 12:23 AM

Quote:
My needs have changed quite a bit since I bought this car right out of college. I'm currently leaning towards a Mazda 6 5 door or Maxima. I need decent gas mileage, towing capacity for a bike, and a manual transmission would be nice. The new Grand Prix's have less useful trunk capacity than the one I have now, which, albeit decent sized, can't fit shit in there because of the wheel wells.

Of course, by the time this car dies out there may be something else out there. Part of me wants to let it go when the tranny craps out (most likely to go first), but realistically, most transmission shops warranty their work for a year, so it should last that long if I replace it. A year's worth of car payments is way more than the $1500 or so for a tranny. I've been babying it with synthetic oil for 100000 miles, the motor better last.

I hear ya. I sold the GTP and bought the Bonneville, but really it was more for my wife. I'm currently looking for another car for myself , and I have the same needs. I drive around 500 miles a week for work, have to carry a trunk full of computer equipment and need good gas milage.

So I'm on (another) car hunt too.

I hate shopping for cars....
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
BEER!

Quote:
I hear ya. I sold the GTP and bought the Bonneville, but really it was more for my wife. I'm currently looking for another car for myself , and I have the same needs. I drive around 500 miles a week for work, have to carry a trunk full of computer equipment and need good gas milage.

So I'm on (another) car hunt too.

I hate shopping for cars....
May want to consider the Subaru hatchback line (eyeing it myself) or a Mazda3 hatchback. Get decent gas mileage, lots of room, and they don't chug gas. Only reason I need a V6 is for towing the bike and gear.

Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
BEER!

Re: Re: Car Audio options on the Grand Prix.

Quote:
Originally posted by OmniGLH
Generally, NO. But I think that Alpine makes a box that interfaces between their HU's and the steering wheel controls to retain their function.

Try going to a reputable stereo shop (not Best Buy or Circuit City) and asking. I'd recommend Absolute Sound in McHenry. East side of 31 just south of 120.

Jim
Well, I hit this shop. The guy REALLY knew his stuff, didn't have to fumble for words. Using the steering wheel controls is possible, but it requires splicing into the wires from the wheel and putting in some other remote. It requires another transmitter in the roof console to shoot the beam to the stereo. I MAY do this later, but I'm not sure if the model I purchased can get this retrofit. Installed it is $160.

But the guy (tattoos and piercings) was quite helpful. Got all the stuff I needed on the first try, even the antanea adapter (OE doesn't plug into the Alpine). He knew the stock speaker configuration for the car? . Well, I'm not sure if he did or not, I don't know it.

Here's the one I bought. Same price as Crutchfield.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JxmadXP...=1&cc=01&avf=Y

NESBA/CCS #142
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
BEER!

Quote:
Originally posted by GautamCity
if you liked your stock headunit....you may wanna get another one off of ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2470229881
Well, I got sniped a couple times, last one was for one from a car 2 years newer than mine, and jumped up to $130.

NESBA/CCS #142
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 11:47 AM

Quote:

Chris
Typical...cheap GM gimicks.

I'd cheap out a reputable car audio shop first. Otherwise get a OEM repalcement... but realize that odds are around 1 in 10 that will probably crap out in another 30k or so.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 02:45 PM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Quote:
Originally posted by cherrypicker
Typical...cheap GM gimicks.

I'd cheap out a reputable car audio shop first. Otherwise get a OEM repalcement... but realize that odds are around 1 in 10 that will probably crap out in another 30k or so.

I've got almost 90k and mine still working like the day I bought it. It's called electronics sometimes they work other times they don't.

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
BEER!

Now i've got the alpine in, but the f'n converter wire for the antanea didn't match up right Of course, I seriously damaged the 'GM' side of it. I'll have to give these guys a call and see if I can splice in just the end. Right now I have no radio.
I'm seriously thinking of just leaving my car completely bare of paneling in the front until I get the antanea to work. Shit's a bitch to take off, and I'm fairly certain I did some damage. Again.

Shit, what's next.

Chris

NESBA/CCS #142

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode