Motorcycle Permit - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Motorcycle Permit

So how does this work anyway? I was under the impression that if you take the written exam and pass, you'll get a riding permit that will allows you to ride with other, experienced motorcyclists. However, when I called up UIUC (my MSF course operator) the guy there said that a permit would only allow me to ride a bike of 150CCs or less under the supervision of other riders.

Is this true?

I'm only 17, not 18 'til January, and I'm not scheduled to take the MSF course until September 11th. It's a confirmed seat, but I want to be able to ride this season (legally), so what do I do? Doesn't the permit allow me to ride any bike so long as I'm riding with others?

For the record, I'm planning on buying my first bike soon, an '02 Suzuki SV650S.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 06:44 PM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

I'm not sure. It may be due to the age issue is my guess.

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 06:49 PM

That is correct! You must complete a Motocycle Rider Education class if you're under 18 to get a M class lisense. Otherwise you're restricted ot a L class (under 150cc... ie small scooter)

Unless you have a lot of dirt bike or bicycle racing expereince.... I recommend taking the class... especially since at 17, you're relatively new to driving as well. It's not just about riding...but avoiding road hazards and the other assholes on the road.

Here's the link... Good luck!

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/de...nse/dlfaq.html
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 06:50 PM

here's the text from the Secretary of State website

"How can I obtain a motorcycle driver's license?
If you wish to obtain a motorcycle classification on your driver's license, you must pass a separate motorcycle written and road examination. The two classifications are Class L for motor-driven cycles with less than 150 cc and Class M for motorcycles.

If you are age 18 or over, you may apply for a 12-month instruction permit to operate a Class L or Class M motorcycle. It allows you to drive only during daylight hours, under the direct supervision of a licensed motorcycle operator. If you are under age 18 and have satisfactorily completed driver education, you may apply for a 12-month instruction permit to operate a motor-driven cycle Class L (under 150 cc). It allows you to drive only during daylight hours, under the direct supervision of a licensed motor-driven or motorcycle operator.

An instruction permit for a Class M license may be issued to an applicant under age 18 only after successful completion of an approved driver education course and documentation of enrollment in an Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) Motorcycle Rider Education course. For more information on classes, please call IDOT's Motorcycle Safety Project (800) 892-9607 or (800) 642-9589.

If you are 16 or 17 years old, you may receive your motorcycle license only after retaining your motorcycle instruction permit for a minimum of three months, provide documentation of successful completion of an IDOT Motorcycle Rider Education Course and successfully pass a drive test.

To initially obtain a Class L or Class M license, a person age 18 or older who successfully completes an IDOT motorcycle training course will not be required to pass a driving or written examination at a Secretary of State facility. Review the Illinois Motorcycle Operator Manual."
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. So, what's the law's punishment for driving without a license?

...crap

But yeah, as far as the MSF course goes, I'd be more than willing to take it regardless of whether or not I needed to. I mean, I need to learn anyway, right? And the class is highly recommended by everyone I talk to. I know I'm already askin' for trouble starting out on a bike at 17, so it'd only make sense to lessen my chances of bumps, bruises, and broken bones by taking as many precautions as I can, i.e. MSF course, helmet, jacket, gloves. I've already got most of the gear, but I still want to buy a few more pairs of durable jeans, as well as some tough over-the-ankle shoes.

Anyway, thanks for looking up the info.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 03:14 AM

Punishment??? Good question. If you're an adult they might impound your vehicle. For a minor first...you won't get insurance (which is already astronomical at under 21 anyway). Otherwise you get a fine of at least $100 or more and have your regular lisense suspended... and you might still have the vehical impounded.

I wouldn't mess around with it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cherrypicker
Punishment??? Good question. If you're an adult they might impound your vehicle. For a minor first...you won't get insurance (which is already astronomical at under 21 anyway). Otherwise you get a fine of at least $100 or more and have your regular lisense suspended... and you might still have the vehical impounded.

I wouldn't mess around with it. It depends on the cop.... then the judge and you'll probably need a lawyer to avoid still fines and penalties.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 10:26 AM
M109R

Sportbike: 07 Suzuki Boulevard M109R
Years Riding: 6
How you found us: ??

well if you have a drivers license D or CDL and no M class you will get a ticket of violation of classification 625 ILCS 5/6-104(a). It requires a mandatory court appearance. Officer discretion whether or not to tow the vehicle... some will some won't.

If you have no drivers license at all then you will get a ticket for no valid drivers license 625 ILCS 5/6-101. Mandatory court appearance expect to have your vehicle towed.

How do you turn this thing on?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

So, is there ANY way I can legally ride my on-the-way SV650S this season? My MSF course isn't sceduled until Sept. 11th, so what's the deal?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 09:35 AM
Fast Old Fart on a Bike

Sportbike: 2001 Ducati S4 / '06 WRX STI Tow Vehicle
Years Riding: Since 1966
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to tripod
find a more recent msf course, even if you have to pay for it.
There is no other way.
I hear that even the hd riders edge programs are really filling up, but you can get on severl lists.

Live Fast, Die Young, Have a good looking corpse.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RyderXS
So, is there ANY way I can legally ride my on-the-way SV650S this season? My MSF course isn't sceduled until Sept. 11th, so what's the deal?
You can show up as a "walk in" at a class earlier in the year and try to get in. That's how I did it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 04:39 PM
M109R

Sportbike: 07 Suzuki Boulevard M109R
Years Riding: 6
How you found us: ??

Get your learners permit and ride with a person who has a M class license... if your over 18

How do you turn this thing on?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode