Need Help-Wireless Network - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
VTwin FTW!

Sportbike: 2013 Ducati Diavel Cromo
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: Friend

Need Help-Wireless Network

I just set up a wireless network at home with 2 computers. One is the base system that is hard wired to the wireless router, and the other has a USB wireless adapter.

My problem is with 2nd computer with the USB wireless adapter. When I first set it up, it worked fine. I was able to surf the web and get email. I then shut it down, and moved it to my kids room. When I hooked it back up, I can't get on the internet or check email. I keep getting "this page can not be displayed" and my email times out because it can't connect to the host/server.

When I check the wireless adapter, it shows it's connected to the router with decent strength 60-75%. Everything seems right, but I can't get online or get mail. I checked all the adapters settings and it says everything is fine. It pings fine also.

What happened from the time it worked, until the time I shut it down and moved it? I wasn't using WEP at first, but now I am. The adapter has the WEP info also and see's the router. It worked and then didn't work without the WEP settings, so I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Please help.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 01:00 PM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

What kind is it?

Did you set up the fire wall before the wireless or after you loaded the wireless software??

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 01:14 PM
Death is coming....

Sportbike: 2001 F4i r/w
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: Search

Try reseting your wireless access point and your modem. I had that problem and just reset everything so it logged back on to the internet.

<----Reaper
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 01:27 PM

Is the wireless router set up to use DHCP for assigning addresses? If so (and I would imagine so), did you set up the wireless software on the computer with the wireless adapter to renew its IP whenever it connects?

Also...I have had a number of problems getting WEP to work right off the bat using both Linksys and Netgear systems. If ya can't get it going, I would suggest getting everything working again without WEP enabled, then enabling it and re-configuring the client.

One more thing...with wireless stuff, I have often found that restarting all equipment magically fixes connection problems, so that's always worth trying.

Out of curiosity...why WEP and not WPA? (is it 802.11b?)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
VTwin FTW!

The router is a Belkin.

I didn't install the firewall yet.

Yes, it's set up DHCP. It's a "G" router.

The software doesn't have/ask to renew IP whenever it connects.

If I can find it, I'll try resetting the access point. I did the router already.

Should I un-install, then re-install the router & software?

Thanks,

Mike
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 03:12 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

un-plug the electricity to the router, and that plug it back
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 03:35 PM

You said it pings fine...what were you pinging, the router, or an internet address? Also, I'm assuming the machine that is wired into the router is able to access the internet?

Yeah, like bwa said, unplug the router. I'd suggest you reset all the hardware before you resort to un- / re- installing software. That includes rebooting Windows on the wireless machine.

Does running "ipconfig" list a valid address for the wireless adapter? (Do you know what I mean when I ask this?)

Did you screw with settings in the router?
(gotta ask!)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
VTwin FTW!

I unplugged the router and plugged it back in. No help.

I pinged the IP address.

Yes the computer wired to the router has internet access and works fine.

I reset everything, including the computer with the adapter. I even uninstalled & re-installed the adapter software.

As far as the ipconfig, do you mean on the computer with the adapter, or the hard wired computer? On the adapter computer, (using Win 98SE), it shows a valid address. On the "main computer, which is XP, i cna't tell. When I run the ipconfig, a black screen comes up for a split second, then it goes away.

Could it be the adapter is too far away? What is the minimum signal strength needed to connect?

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by ChicagoFactory; 04-05-2004 at 04:24 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 04:28 PM
stuck in 6th gear

Sportbike: '99 SV650, GSX-R1K2, CRF230F5, '08 HM-S
Years Riding: not enough lately *(&%# work...
How you found us: LBK back in the day

Quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoFactory

As far as the ipconfig, do you mean on the computer with the adapter, or the hard wired computer? On the adapter computer, (using Win 98SE), it shows a valid address. On the "main computer, which is XP, i cna't tell. When I run the ipconfig, a black screen comes up for a split second, then it goes away.

Thanks,

Mike
goes away? are you running this in a command prompt window or running the ipconfig command in the Run window? If it's the latter, then yeah, the black screen will come up to execute the command and then go away as soon as it's done.

when you run the "ipconfig" command, a valid address will usually begin with a default off the shelf config using something like 192.168.x.x for linksys and netgear wireless hardware.

If the address you see is something like 169.x.x.x then you had a DHCP timeout and have crap for an address.

other things to check even though you show a good signal is your authentication setup. you're remote device may have connected to the access point ok, but it may not have authenticated properly to start communicating on the network. this could be an incorrect encryption key being used, differing index selected between client and access point, open vs shared key authentication method between client and access point....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 05:03 PM

What I meant was...run "cmd" (or "command" in Windows 9x) on the one with the wireless adapter, then at the command prompt, type "ipconfig". As Ernie mentioned, it should have some address like 192.168.x.x.

Try to ping the router :edit: from the machine with the wireless adapter :end edit:, if you know its address (probably 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1). This will be the address you use to get into the router's setup, if it provides a web interface for configuration (I haven't used Belkin routers, but every other major router brand works this way, so I assume they do, too). If you can ping the router's IP address, that means that the router has let you onto the network and should have given you a valid IP address. If this is the case, that is good, then try to ping www.google.com. If you are able to ping the router but not google, then it is more than likely just a router configuration issue (i.e. look thru all the settings in the router for things pertaining to wireless connections).

Like I had mentioned before, I recommend you disable WEP. Also, disable WPA or any encryption or authentication for wireless devices just to get everything going. This will help isolate the problem. You need to disable it in both the router and the software on the machine with the wireless adapter.

I have run my laptop even with a "low" signal strength, so if it has some kind of signal, then signal strength should not be a problem (it will just affect performance).

Last edited by kish; 04-05-2004 at 05:36 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode