How much SPAM do you get? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
habitual line stepper

Sportbike: F4,Brutale,Warrior,DRZ
Years Riding: X
How you found us: .

Send a message via AIM to Jack
How much SPAM do you get?

I got tired of deleting bunches of e-mails every day so I'm trying Norton AntiSpam. It's doing a pretty good job, a few get through but not much considering. I think there might be a worm virus going around but I've received 500 SPAM e-mails the past 5 days. That's 100 a day. Pretty insane really. My e-mail is out there, so it is to be expected. I have a variety of e-mail addresses I use for different purposes but for the most part Norton is doing a good job. I was wondering what other peoples experiences are.

And what is it going to take for these people to stop? The remove form list is a joke in most cases and used to verify your address... I get virtually no telemarketing any more since I've been on the no-telemarketing list. I'm not one to jump on the regulation bandwagon but it seems we need some meaningful fines for people who abuse SPAM mailing guidelines.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 12:53 PM

SpamAssassin rocks - it can learn and adapt to the spam your receiving. I think there is a windows version but I use it w/Kmail on Debain.

more here
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
habitual line stepper

Sportbike: F4,Brutale,Warrior,DRZ
Years Riding: X
How you found us: .

Send a message via AIM to Jack
I just got 16 copies of the same SPAM e-mail. I have NO IDEA what these people are thinking. Do they really think I'm going to do business with them? Idiots!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 01:23 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

i dont get any spam from my dls.net account. any spam is sent to a special web page for me to look at and either approve it or remove it. its awsome!!!!!!!

did i ever say dls.net ROCKS!!!!

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 01:46 PM
Head Stepper

Sportbike: TREKK
Years Riding: 9
How you found us: member referal

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate
Spam is a funny thing. Here's the skinny of it in a simple explaination. There are lists that you can buy. Anyone can purchase these mass mailing lists. So, you buy this list of 5 million email address (more or less, it's up to you), and you run some software that strips out the addresses, puts them into a script that sends out email messages. Here's the tricky part. ISP's have come under fire recently from the FCC. So, they are cracking down hard on known spammers. The only problem is that spammers move quickly!! And they use a technique called spoofing. You might receive a message that appears to have come form yourself. If you have ever experianced this, you have received a spoofed email. You can make it look like the email came from, was sent to, or was forwarded by whoever you want. I recently learned how to do this, and have had some fun doing it. Another technique used by spammers is to hire college kids. Well, actually, they hire their computers. They will recruit in the commons and give kids money to run this software on their software all day long. That's it. They relay email messages from these college kid's boxes and away it goes. Spam will be a problem for as long as there is email. I personally get (between my 4 or 5 accounts) about 300 to 400 spam messages a day. I recently purchased Surf Control for our exchange server here at work, and it seems to be pretty good at blocking spam. It also has an agent that gets updated everyday, similar to virus protection. Any new technology that spammers might be using gets updated into the database, and downloaded to my server. It's pretty pricey though.

<-------- Jeff

Hey baby! You ever been on the back of an expensive sportbike??

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode