Hit and run - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2001 R6 *SOLD* 2006 Ninja 650R *SOLD* 2009 Bonneville
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: Another Online Forum

Hit and run

I had parked my bike in front of the health club today and the truck which was parked next to my bike hit it and knocked it down. He fled the scene (according to witnesses). The lady who was waiting for his spot go thim lincense plate #. I'm really really upset. He and a girl who was with him apparently walked out of the health club (I'm a member in that health club too).

All the plastics on the left side have either been scratched or cracked. My comprehensive insurance does not start until this coming Saturday, am I screwed?

If I get a hold of that guy, will his insurance refuse to pay since my insurance doesn't start until this weekend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 09:46 PM

You could try to get ahold of him and get him o pay, but the best set is get a police report and then file a claim against his insurance. It shouldnt matter whether you have comp or not - his fault he pays. I hope you got the name of the witness because shes your only proof that he did it.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

That's a relief. I got the phone number of the lady who saw the accident. She actually waited for me in her car and she said that she'll do whatever it takes to help out. Thanks a lot man.
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 10:18 PM
habitual line stepper

Sportbike: F4,Brutale,Warrior,DRZ
Years Riding: X
How you found us: .

Send a message via AIM to Jack
I agree and think it best to file a police report ASAP. Don't wait. I had a young girl run into me once and then she fled. I chased her and she finally stopped. I called the police department and they were no help and said I didn't need to file a report. First thing her insurance person asked for is a police report. She of course lied and did everything she could to get out of it, saying I hit her.... It worked, I got nothing.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

I'm leaving work right now. I'm going to stop by the poilce station on my way home to file a complaint.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 10:51 PM
Please attend carefully..

Sportbike: 2000 ZX6R (the green one!)
Years Riding: 2000
How you found us: I've been here a while...

May I ask which health club?

"Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it." - JP2

"Life is just a place where we spend time between games" - former Philadelphia Flyers coach Fred Shero

"everyone's a nutjob, some just have more restraint than others" - EndlessRR
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Lakeshore Athletic Club - Downtown
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Just filed a the accident with the Chicago police and received a copy of the police report. The SUV is leased out by a chicago based corporation ( I don't want name the corp or the lesse).

I'm going to find the driver's phone number and call him.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 12:24 AM
habitual line stepper

Did the police mention they were going to contact him? Ask him about leaving the scene of an accident? He'll just clame he didn't know. Your witness is the key! It might be best if she filed a report as well before she decides it isn't worth the hassle to get invovled.... Maybe not a report but a signed affidavit. You might want to talk to someone, even your insurance carrier. They will work for you and I believe an accident that is not your fault can not be used against you in anyway, ie affect your rates. Your insurance carrier should be able to determine who insures that vehicle and make a claim against their insurance. Your company should pay to fix your bike and then they work to collect from Mr. X's insurance.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 12:50 AM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

Your witness will need to not only identify the license plate and make of the car, but also a physical description of the driver. I have reported things like this before and the police have always said that as a witness you need to identify both the car and the driver, since sometimes people aren't necessarily driving the car they own.

Good luck, keep us posted.
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 01:00 AM

sorry bout the bike, but look at it this way, at least you know they got insurance ! if it is a company vehicle the must have insurance. Not good to get your bike hit, but it would be worse if it was some two bit no insurance paying scum of the earth feces peice of crap driving prick that hit you.

go get'em ! ! !
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 01:36 AM
Inu
Computer Junkie

Sportbike: 02 Katana 600
How you found us: http://www.katanaplanet.com

Send a message via AIM to Inu Send a message via Yahoo to Inu
find out where they live and lets fuck em up.. no cops. well that's what the evil dean would do!

ok ok.. since you already filed a police report it's too late now.. if the people get hurt they could always pin a motive on ya.
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 01:55 AM

This situation always baffles me.

The dickhead that hit your bike has insurance. Why the hell did he flee? WTH is wrong with people that they don't give two craps about other peoples property?

I think the best thing to do is eat the $500 in plastics but find the prick and hit him with the 34' Louisville Slugger.
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 03:11 AM
Inu
Computer Junkie

Sportbike: 02 Katana 600
How you found us: http://www.katanaplanet.com

Send a message via AIM to Inu Send a message via Yahoo to Inu
Quote:
Originally posted by flinchy
This situation always baffles me.

I think the best thing to do is eat the $500 in plastics but find the prick and hit him with the 34' Louisville Slugger.
now that's what I'm talking about.. but I wouldn't be so lenient.. I'd find out where he/she works then tell all of his co-workers what kind of person they are working with.. find their email address and then subscribe them to a buncha bestiality sites or something like that.
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 07:09 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
That sucks It's happened to me, took forever to get the stupid SOB to pay up Hope you have better luck.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

I got his address and name from the police report. I'm going to call the "Information" and get his phone number. From his address I could tell that he is doing very well and he surely can afford to pay for the damage he caused.

Once I get get his numbe, what do you guys think that I should tell/ask him? Is there way to find his insurance information with his lincense plate # and VIN? Thanks a lot for the help guys.
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Hey make sure you document that the full akropovic system was damaged and needs to be replaced., oh ya and not to mention all your chrome was scratched.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 09:00 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

Get a police report. They don't even need your insurance although the cop may ask for a card to proove you were legal, but that's a ticket for you and doesn't have anything to do with the accident.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 09:21 AM
The Violator

Sportbike: A little bit of everything.
Years Riding: Not nearly enough!
How you found us: On a ride in Colorado

I think you may have some luck getting your $$ from this guy. He may even elect to pay you without any claims being made. My guess is that he fled the scene in hopes of hiding this accident from his employer. Now he's gotta hide both the accident and the fact that he fled. I wouldn't want to admit that to my employer if I drove a company vehicle!!!

When you contact this clown, make sure you let him know that you're aware of who his employer is and that you are going to collect form them (and their insurer) if you do not get what you need from him.

Good luck bro!

Troy
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 10:02 AM
habitual line stepper

Talk to your insurance agent. Let them handle it.

As for hitting someone with a bat? That's a bunch of BS. Yeah it sucks, but you don't take the law into your own hands.
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 10:13 AM

Sportbike: 06 CBR600RR
Years Riding: bought my first street bike in 2000
How you found us: SBN

you could also play the "cool guy" card. call the guy up...explain to him that you are a member of the same gym as him, that a witness saw him hit your bike, and give him the oppurtunity to pay up on his own. if he's a prick with you, then go the insurance route. if he's cool and he's pays up....then you made a new friend who, by the sounds of it, makes alot of money. you never know when you're looking for a new job, lol.

quick question though...by placing a police report, do the police go after him on their own for commiting a hit and run?
post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

There's no way that I'd want to make friends with a coward who hits and runs. If I run into him at the gym, I'll make sure that everyone he hangs out with knows about his classy act.
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 11:10 AM

I am not all that familiar with the gym you belong to but isnt that a pretty expensive gym? He is also driving an SUV for a company car? That means some pretty good money. Most company cars are taurus or something. I would go the route of contacting him directly. Nicely explaining the situtation. You dont want to alienate the guy right off the bat if you are at the same gym. He might want to pay up without his rates being affected and the mark on his driving record. I would. If he contests you accusations, bring in the fact you have a police report, witness, his insurance company and his employer info. YOu will use all of these resources if necessary or it can be settled outside of those. He should take the easy route. Dont throw this in someones face, people dont react well to pressure or being backed into a corner. Hold your power cards till you have to use them. Good luck. Oh and make sure you contact the witness to touch base with them and explain what is happening so they dont forget about helping you out if necessary.
post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

I found out that the owner name on the police report is the name of the leasing company and not the actual driver. I just spoke with the Risk Management department of the company that guy works for and leases the vehicle.

The lady I spoke to at the company was very helpful and she gave me the phone number of the claims person who is on vacation until next Tuesday (great timing). She said that they should be able find the driver if I gave them the license plate number and the VIN ( I have both from the police report). I'm crossing my finger that the company won't ask me to go and screw myself.
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TaxMan
I'm crossing my finger that the company won't ask me to go and screw myself.
I doubt they would do that since they could get sued. Wouldnt that be obstruction of justice also? That is also when your insurance company would take out their claws and dig in.

Did you have to give the reason why you needed this guys name and number?
post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 11:37 AM

Sportbike: 99 Honda CBR600F4
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: Honda Sportsbike Network

I wouldn't go after him with a bat... it sounds like he might not have even known he hit your bike. Just keep doing what you're doing. The company's insurance company will pay out.
post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

When I called the operator, she just asked for the first and last name. I gave her the name of the leasing company (it sounded like a last name) and she couldn't find anyone on the compnay directory. I then had to tell her what happened and she took the address that showed on the poilce report.

She later called be back and told me that the address belonged to the leasing company where they lease their vehicles from. She also gave me the 2 contact numbers for their Risk Management dept, but both of them are on vacation until next Tuesday.

I don't know the name of the actual driver. I don't think that the company would give that to me.
post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye
I doubt they would do that since they could get sued. Wouldnt that be obstruction of justice also? That is also when your insurance company would take out their claws and dig in.

Did you have to give the reason why you needed this guys name and number?
His insurance company isn't going to do anything since it wasn't valid. You went the great route on getting the police report. That is one. You have your witness. that is plus 2. Contact the company directly. Send them your "estimate" and have them pay for it. Since it's leased by the company, wouldn't they be paying the insurance as well? If not, and they tell you to go screw yourself, submit a small claims court application and sue the company itself. They might just pay you just so they don't have to claim their insurance. if you find out who the driver is, talk to him directly too.... most likely, he will fess up since you have all of his company info, address, etc... etc... I'm sure he wouldn't want a visit from you at his office... that will make him look really bad. and maybe put him in danger of getting fired since it was a hit and run.
post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

From the tone of the lady I talked to, it seemed like they deal with this kind of stuff often. The company is a very popular one, so I'm assuming that they will deal with me in a professional manner.
post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 02:06 PM

Meggy and Hawkeye said it best. Start off tactfully. Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell and have them look foward to the trip. Tell him you undrestand that a sudden stressful situation sometimes causes people to do stupid things, like leaving the scene of an accident. Ask him what we can do to avoid all the trouble of going through his company's insurance for hit and run, etc., with your witness, police report, etc. Let him know how understanding you are, not wanting to get him in any trouble at work for his wreckless use of company vehicle. You just want you bike like it was before.
Let him think its HIS solution to pay through the nose, cash, for new plastics, scratched paint, scuffed shocks, steering damper damage, dented D&D muffler, bent clip-ons, damaged chrome mirrors, carb rebuild because of being sideways, FOD damage to the stator vanes in the jet intake.......you get the idea. Have an official estimate from a stealership. If he gets mad, or blows you off, be even nicer, expressing a true desire to avoid "all that legal stuff. " Never say the word 'sue', because this makes people feel cornered and lock up.
Hopefully he learns that hit and run will cost HIM PERSONALLY three times what a little accident report would have.

You can always play hardball later if you must. Plus, having made a good faith gesture and a record of always dealing tactfully will put you in an even better position if you do have to go to court.

Don't forget to do something very, very nice for your witness who took the time and trouble to wait for a stranger to come out of the gym. And you could even invite her to Strat's where a whole group could sing her praises. Such people deserve blessings.

Last edited by drbub22; 04-08-2004 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode