Cage window tinting and cops - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Cage window tinting and cops

I've been considering getting my cars windows tinted. I have a 03 civic, coupe version, and an all black interior that smokes in the summer time. I originally wanted tint just like the RX300 lexus came with.. where you can see right through it, but it has an added amount of reflectivity that should help keep the car cooler in the sun. I've visted two local shops, and both say that they don't know of anybody who can tint with stuff like that. Since it seems like the Lexus style tint is not an option, I've been looking at the traditional tints also, but haven't been able to decide yet if I should do it. The shops both said that it would cool the car considerably, but it's hard to always believe when the person telling you about it is also the one trying to sell it.

From seeing samples, the darkest I'd want to go on the back windows is a 35. I was thinking about having a 45 applied to the front side windows and leaving the winshield stock (I think a 35 on the fronts is too dark). I know it's illigal on the front windows, but considering how light a 45 tint is, I am hoping that it might get passed off as a factory tint or not somthing worth pulling me over for.

My questions to those who have been tinted... will a 45 front and 35 rear seriously help cool my car down in the summer? and Will the police key in on the car for having tint? Right now it's completely stock and attracts virtually no attention, never have been hassled in it yet for anything and I'd like to keep it that way. -- Lastly, is there any shops to avoid for one reason or another, or any shops that are especially good in the area?

Thanks to all for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I've had tints on a lot of my cars. I would go witht he 45 on the side windows and visor strip. The rears you can do as dark as you want. but personlly I think the 35 looks a little classier, to dark looks all ghetto and shit.

Oh and take a picutre of your car from the side before you take it in. That way when you get a ticket you just take that pic to court and tell the judge you took the tints off. and the case is dismissed and the fine go's away. I know a guy who did that a bunch of times

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.

Last edited by HDTony; 04-08-2004 at 06:50 PM.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

Quote:
Originally posted by GsxrTony
to dark looks all ghetto and shit.

tony take a look at his avitar!

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 06:50 PM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Quote:
Originally posted by JimGoFast

Ya got me there

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by JimGoFast
LMAO no man, that is not me! I found that pic on another forum and seriously laughed out loud.. I don't even know if it's real or not, but it got such a reaction out of me I copied it and used it here. I really don't want anything ghetto looking. I keep my car clean and respectable.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 07:00 PM
Administrator

looking at your car, I think I would go with 45 all the way around. the rear is already darker since its so closed in with those small windows on the sides. Plus the darker you go the harder it is to see out of your rear at night.

- Ronald Reagan

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Oh and make sure you post some pics after its done. I think I'm gonna do 45 on my I-35 here soon too.

- Ronald Reagan

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by GsxrTony
I've had tints on a lot of my cars. I would go witht he 45 on the side windows and visor strip. The rears you can do as dark as you want. but personlly I think the 35 looks a little classier, to dark looks all ghetto and shit.

Oh and take a picutre of your car from the side before you take it in. That way when you get a ticket you just take that pic to court and tell the judge you took the tints off. and the case is dismissed and the fine go's away. I know a guy who did that a bunch of times

Kickass advice Tony. I remember sitting in court and seeing a guy with a grocery bag full of window tint as proof that he removed it. (man I fuckin hate court) I have plenty of pictures of my car as it stands, so I'll have to remember that, should I ever get into trouble with it.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Well, anyway.. Tony, did the tint help to reduce the heat in your car in the summer months? That really is my goal.. cool the car down during the day. No cop troubles for ya?
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 07:24 PM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

I got Limo on my back windows and I got I think 35 might even be 45 but I doubt it on my front doors. The front window wasn't done, but usually I do my front window 12" in Limo tint. The legal is ONLY 6".

I've got dark leather interior and it seems to help some, but how much I don't really know because I got them done a week after I got the car. I get ALL my cars windows tinted. I hate being out in the open...yes I know I ride a motorcycle

I've gotten bothered before, only once with this car......SO FAR!!

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Enjoying Life!!

I've had the car about 2 years now. I think that pic makes it look darker then what it is. I got the tints done by a guy up by Midway Airport does a GREAT job.

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 07:33 PM

hey mike,

I have always tinted my windows on my cars. I always did darker back window and light on the sides. I dont think its legal to tint the windshield at all. I know some do that visor thing but that really does look pretty lame. I suggest you do the 45 (which i think is the light tint) all the way around. With your set up it'll look darker from the outside then it really is.

But as far as the keeping cooler? Well. . .i never really noticed a big difference. Unless you have leather seats, which i doubt your car does. It keeps the inside from getting a little bit hotter but not all that much.

anways hope you get what you like, and hope the cops dont harass you!
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 07:37 PM
M109R

Sportbike: 07 Suzuki Boulevard M109R
Years Riding: 6
How you found us: ??

the rear window and the rear sides can be tinted however you want but the front windshield and the drivers side front and passenger side front shouldn't be tinted because technically that is illegal. Most cops will not bother you but some will.

How do you turn this thing on?
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 07:40 PM
Enjoying Life!!

windshield legal is 6"s

post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 07:41 PM

heres a pic of my ride. I got the second to lightest tint youcan get. I dont remember what number it was. But its pretty light. The picture seems like there real dark but thats cus its in the shade and stuff. Its weird how the tint works depending onthe light outside and etc. etc. it changes how dark your tint looks. But i got the light tint so i can see real good at night but still keeps the sun from burning me.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 07:42 PM

fronts are legal!

front windows (not windshield) are legal but only the light stuff. My fronts are super legal! ! !
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 07:46 PM

Back when I had my Firebird I had tint all the way around. Over the 2 years the tint was up, I paid a total of 3 fines. Two were $75, the third fine was $95. Each town has their own set amount.

The tickets are bullshit, fyi. If you can afford it, keep it on. The ticket isn't a moving violation; it's basically the same thing as a parking ticket. You can collect as many as you want and it'll never touch your driving record.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 07:46 PM
Enjoying Life!!

front windows are not legal.. law states no tint on front windows at all

edit:::: in illinois anyways..not sure about In.

Last edited by CHeYeNNe; 04-08-2004 at 07:49 PM.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Have the cops ever pulled you over just for the tint, or said somthing about it after pulling you over for somthing else?

My interior is cloth, but everything in the car is black. I originally wanted to buy the blue exterior car, but could only get Ivory interior which I knew I would dirty.. and I don't like a dirty car. So I would have prefered a grey interior, but didn't want the red exterior.. so anyway, I ended up with this. I never had a black interior car before, so I really didn't know what I was in for. The A/C at night will chill your ass good, but after sitting in the sun all day it barely does the job.

IN allows front window tint.. so does MI and WI. IL is the oddball of the midwest that made any level of front window tint illigal. :/ I guess me asking johnnyboy about his LEO experiences will not apply at all since we live in different states with different rules. I also posted on 7thgencivic (my body style of civic) to see if anyone has a coupe with 45 tint all the way around. See what it looks like that way before I do anything.

Last edited by Mike; 04-08-2004 at 07:50 PM.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 07:50 PM

Pardon me, I have been pulled over for speeding and then the cop has checked my windows to see if they were legal. They have a device they put up to the window that can check the percentage. Thankfully, i was legal. That was the Front window he cheded. But then again i was in Indiana. Illinoi-ssssss. . . may be different but i know a lot of guys driving illegally, than!

BUT I"M STICKING TO MY GUNS! ! ! ! ITS LEGAL! ! ASK THE TINT SHOP THEY BY LAW HAVE TO TELL YOU WHAT IS LEGAL AND WHAT IS NOT!
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Goddamn stupid window checking device! So even if it looks transparent, I can still get nailed for it. :/

I guess you are lucky Johnnyboy.. there are quite a few nice things about Indiana. Tint, fireworks, no liscence needed to purchase guns or powder, lower taxes on everything (probably more then that)..

Maybe I'll move over there one of these days.
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 08:06 PM

cheaper property. no front plate for the car, no stupid city sticker on the window, Can carry around a handgun concealed, cheaper gas . . no taxes on food (adds up) cheaper sales tax. . . . oh and the corn here in indiana is greeeeeeeeeat ! ! !
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 08:49 PM
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

I had tinted windows on my Corvette and anytime I drove it after midnight I was pulled over. The cop said he pulled me over because of the tint. I was never ticketed but it gives them cause to pull you over to check your license and smell your breath.

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by bluebusa60544
I had tinted windows on my Corvette and anytime I drove it after midnight I was pulled over. The cop said he pulled me over because of the tint. I was never ticketed but it gives them cause to pull you over to check your license and smell your breath.
Good point there. Do you remember what percentage your windows were?
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 09:33 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

In WI, they change the laws nearly every 2 yrs on tinting. I did it ONCE. The legal (at the time) 35% on all but the windshield. Took it off since I couldnt see people walking at night.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 10:10 PM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

Good luck! I had slightly tinted front windows on a grand am i had JUST PURCHASED 2 days prior from Woodfield Chevy. The car was from Arizona. An Arlington Hts cop pulled me over for the plates not matching the vehicle and after i explained and he checked it out he wrote me a ticket for the tint. Well the windows were not tinted they were dipped. Woodfield had to replace the windows because they were at fault for selling a non-compliant vehicle.

Although in Cicero growing up i had limo tint on top of limo tint on my 83 Riv. Looked bad ass but i had to put the window down at stop signs cause i could not see anything outside at night!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 10:14 PM
Please attend carefully..

Sportbike: 2000 ZX6R (the green one!)
Years Riding: 2000
How you found us: I've been here a while...

I got a ticket once in the early 90's when I was pulled over for my front license plate having fallen off. The officer probably wouldn't have noticed it except that the tint had slipped so that it was obvious.

My cousin used to have his own window tinting business, but after the law was passed that you couldn't have the tinting his business dropped off.

And the reason the law was passed was because there was a polcie officer shot by someone in a traffic stop of a car with tinted windows.

"Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it." - JP2

"Life is just a place where we spend time between games" - former Philadelphia Flyers coach Fred Shero

"everyone's a nutjob, some just have more restraint than others" - EndlessRR
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 01:07 AM
Banned

Sportbike: Kawasaki Zx-10 Ninja
Years Riding: since i was 5
How you found us: sbn

If i was a cop, id pull people over with tint windows. Dem are trouble makers you know.

I cant really remember how this goes. But some of those cheap tints will not cool the car, but will actually heat the car quicker then a car without tints.

And i bet a lot of cops hate approaching a car with tints. Because they have no idea what the person is doing in the car before he comes up to the driver.
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 01:23 AM
Death is coming....

Sportbike: 2001 F4i r/w
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: Search

I have always tinted all of my cars windows all the way around(except the windshield). Right now I have 5% on the back window of my truck and 20% on the sides, haven't been pulled over yet in any of my cars and have had the same darkness on all of them. And you cannot have any level of tint on your passenger and driver windows, they will tell you that when you go in to tint them. It's naughty.

<----Reaper
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 01:39 AM

All three times I got ticketed I was pulled over directly because of the tint. Each cop told me that when I asked why I was pulled over.

The other midwest states sound cool, but Illinois state law is absolutely nothing on the front/driver/passenger windows.

However...the lighter you go, the less chance you have of being pulled over. I had limo all the way around an ice white Firebird, so you can imagine how well the tint stood out

Here's an old pic of my baby (this pic was taken in...96 or 97'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode