I dropped my F'n bike - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
cornfields are boring

Sportbike: 96 zx-6r
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: www.sportbikes.net

I dropped my F'n bike

Yea, i did, trying to get right hand u turns down for the test for my license, i'm still not sure how exactly it went form vertical to horizontal, but it did, quickly. i was trying to tighten up my turning radius because i know it is pretty tight on the test. well i was doing one and it started to fal,l i couldn't catch it, it hit the ground, i held the clutch in so it didn't slide and hit the red kill switch. well i stood it up and try to start it...oil light is on, oh shit. i sit there for a second, try again light is still on. so i call DGY and talk to the service guy see what i can do about bringing my bike in, he says if it fell it is probably just the sensor wire got crushed and the bike is fine, but i could ride it in and he would look at it. I took it around the block, and the engine started to sound worse, i noticed a slight tick, killed it and pushed it home. Me and my dad couldn't figure it out, there was no oil leaking, and it fealt like pressure in the oil cooler lines, but something definatly didn't sound right. He thought that the i picked up some air when the pickup went dry when the bike was on it's side,a dn it was airlocked in the fileter or something. So he decided to let it cool down, idle for a minute then give it a few rev's, we did and the oil light flickered then went out, thank god. sorry so long i just had to share my story of how my first "accident" had me thinking i had a nice paperweight for an engine. and how happy i am to know that i still have a bike

josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 01:46 PM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Damn, Josh, sorry to hear about you dropping your bike. See, I told you everyone does it. I'm glad to know that its working again. Kawi's are tough bikes.

May I make a suggestion? Contact Pete (Champ91) for some frame sliders. I can vouch for their effectivness.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 01:51 PM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

Think of it this way-- you got your first drop out of your way. Now it's behind you. Chipper up!

I was having that discussion last night with a friend. I'm being really averse to the idea of doing anything to my f4i but left and right people keep telling me to get frame sliders. I have really no money to my name to do anything to my bike.
Is it worth the $?
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 02:08 PM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally posted by ill_ag
Is it worth the $?
Yes, frame sliders are really worth the money. Josh had a guy drop his bike in Josh's driveway and the frame sliders caught it and there was NO damage or scratched paint.

Get 'em, Allison. You'll be glad you did.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 02:11 PM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

It happens bro. At least it was low speed and your not hurt.

Now 1st got get soem sliders!!!!!

2nd...when you do that tight low speed turn lean the bike over to the side your turning and sit you body on the opposite side of the seat. Doing this you can actually lean it over enough to drag the pegs. However, you won't need to do that. The trick is to practice and find that perfect amount of gas and lean combonation that will give you that tight radius. practice practice practice.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 02:40 PM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy
It happens bro. At least it was low speed and your not hurt.

Now 1st got get soem sliders!!!!!

2nd...when you do that tight low speed turn lean the bike over to the side your turning and sit you body on the opposite side of the seat. Doing this you can actually lean it over enough to drag the pegs. However, you won't need to do that. The trick is to practice and find that perfect amount of gas and lean combonation that will give you that tight radius. practice practice practice.
ditto...so when you'r in the U-turn, try to sit straight up so your body is perpedicular to the ground. Sounds crazy, but it works...much tighter U-turns. If only I found this out before the DMV test and before dropping my bike during the U-turn
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
cornfields are boring

yea chills i shoulda learned from that guy. I think i well keep practicing my u turns, it's already scratched now. But in may im taking that class in chicago so hopefully it'll get worked out by then. glad to hear im not alone though. but why do they make you do a RIGHT hand u turn...that makes no sense you will never have to that in real life

josh
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
cornfields are boring

o yea my bike will be fine right? anybody w/similiar experiences?
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 10:26 PM
Kim

Sportbike: '08 GSXR 750
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: hubby's a member!

I had a very similar experience during one of Ken's classes last year - but my very graceful dismount was in front of about 15 guys. Nothing really hurt but my pride and a little bit of fairing rash. Since then, I've spent a lot of time doing slow-speed stuff in parking lots because I had a tendency to tighten up in similar situations. Learning the proper U-turn technique has helped a ton (thanks Ken! ). Like everyone has already said - get back on that thing and keep practicing!!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 10:40 PM

yeah man it sucks to put her down! i can see that u'r rider, fall off get back on!! thats a big bike for the test but practice practice practice and u'll get it
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 10:42 PM

I'll tell my story too. You got out lucky, by the way...

So I am riding up to a more moutainous area about a month ago. On the way, I see many motorcycles. 2 of which are cruisers, cruisers rarely wave to sport bikes, so I wave back and glance at their bikes. Well, this one guy in a truck had just slowed down and put his blinker on as I was glancing at the two cruisers. By the time I looked back, too late. I hit the brakes and it didn't help enough. Bumped his bottom rear bumper.

Luckily, his truck was fine. However, as most of you know, I need a headlight and upper cowling. The right side is covered though, got one on ebay for 75 dollars(including shipping). So that's it red, we all have them. I've learned from it, so will you.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
cornfields are boring

heh yeah i'm gonna keep doin those u turns, it's already scratched now so i won't feel bad if it takes a few more hits, paint can be a good winter project right? thanks for the support guys makes me want to kick myself a little less

josh
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 11:16 PM
stuck in 6th gear

Sportbike: '99 SV650, GSX-R1K2, CRF230F5, '08 HM-S
Years Riding: not enough lately *(&%# work...
How you found us: LBK back in the day

glad to hear you're ok and the bike is relatively ok.

don't know if it happened to you but a common mistake people new to riding make is to take their foot off the footpeg when the bike is at the point of stalling and tipping over. the MSF class will drill into you the point that your bike is several hundred pounds and that you're leg isn't strong enough to prop up a bike while it's still moving like you can on your old bicycle (or perhaps dirtbike)

ken (Odysseys) does a slow speed instruction class every now and then that might give you a tip or two on how to handle slow speed maneuvers. keep an eye out for that if he posts it up...

in the meantime, practice riding your clutch and getting familiar with the point at which it engages
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 11:29 PM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

you'll have to do right-hand u-turns from time to time like in parking lots, for example. not too often, but you may as well be confident doing it.
I am guilty of taking my feet off the pegs when I am doing u-turns. I guess what I will do is if I'm feeling a little nervous about the turn that day, I just stop the bike and kinda walk it around. It's not like I give a crap what other people think, and sometimes it just makes me feel safer.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 12:18 AM
4&6

I would be very worried if the oil light was on as long as you said it was. Those Kaws will eat the main and rod bearings in a heartbeat when the pump starves for oil, even for a secound or two. I would listen for any ticking or tapping sound and if you hear i would take the bike in and have the cases split. I would probably do that anyway from what you said
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 08:11 PM

that sucks! got me a little worried!
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 10:32 PM

Sportbike: Forgot
Years Riding: Don't remember
How you found us: word of mouth

Send a message via Yahoo to Bud_Brain
Yeah, it is like the movie Matrix. Where EVERYONE falls on the first jump (Even the ONE). Here, everyone "drops."

Think how stupid I felt when my shoe lace got wrapped around my rear break lever. I came to a stop at a busy intersection, realized I could not put my foot down, and plop. Yup, it happens...
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 10:33 PM

Sportbike: Forgot
Years Riding: Don't remember
How you found us: word of mouth

Send a message via Yahoo to Bud_Brain
Oh, or the time CaptainPeabody "FORGOT" to put his foot down. haha! Now that is some funny shit...
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
cornfields are boring

yea i need to sit on the bike different like you said whiteseat, but it just feels so unnatural but i keep telling myself i have to
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 12:28 AM
Where are the races?

Sportbike: 01 Busa
How you found us: cant remeber!

Send a message via AIM to twistedspeed
Whatever you do dont go to DGY they just fired there best tech! you think that place was bad now its even worse when the best one there gets fired!!
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
cornfields are boring

great so you're sayin i spent $1300 for 2 years of chuckleheads dickin around with my bike? why'd the fire this guy?
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 12:53 AM
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
Nice job on practicing BEFORE you went to take the test. I had my drop during the test. I didn't even think about the fact that it was a right hand uturn.

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
cornfields are boring

yea i figured it would be a good idea, and i guess it was ya gotta learn somehow and i didn't want to screw up the test, im glad i didn't drop it at the test but it sounds like many people have
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 11:46 AM
yo quiero su taco

Quote:
Originally posted by twistedspeed
Whatever you do dont go to DGY they just fired there best tech! you think that place was bad now its even worse when the best one there gets fired!!
gREaT! I have had so many problems with these guys already. And now it's going to get worse?
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 03:13 PM

Sportbike: GSXR 1000
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: sbn

Send a message via AIM to unclepetey
Quote:
Originally posted by Bud_Brain
Oh, or the time CaptainPeabody "FORGOT" to put his foot down. haha! Now that is some funny shit...
You better be careful or I'll break your bike again.

Pete
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
Originally posted by twistedspeed
its going to get worse? sheesh.

dont get me wrong, they are always very nice. but it took them 5 WEEKS to diagnose and replace my fuel pump under warantee. Not exacty speedy. Then factor in how it sat outside in rain and weather while they worked on other bikes and I got it back with a nice rusty chain.

Chris
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 03:57 PM
yo quiero su taco

Get this...

First time, took bike in for a regular service. Tires were fine, no nails and had full pressure, I know because I rode the thing there. I drop it off. Later, I get a call telling me my tire is flat, and that it is $100 to get the tire plugged. They tell me it is holding air, so I tell them to not plug the tire and I'll pick it up. I get there and ask them to check the pressure and fill it to spec. The guy faked it. He never checked the pressure and never added air and never told me. I get on the bike, I start to ride it off the lot, feels weird, I stop and check the pressure...10lbs. I go back and ask him if he checked the pressure. He looked at me and said "No, I didn't, I never checked the pressure and never filled it with air. He never apologized, never said I forgot here let me fill that up for you. He just sat there with a look on his face. So, I complain to his manager, the manager is just as lazy as the other guy. So, then I'm looking around the lot, nails, screws, shit all over the parking lot there at DGY. There are useless over there.

So, one year later, I take my bike in an obvious coolant leak. They gave it back to me, and said nothing was wrong. I pick it up and start it, coolant starts leaking out. I schedule an appt for a reservice. I take it back two weeks later. They fix it. They tell me they will leave the bike outside because I was going to pick it up 30 minutes after they closed. I show up 30 minutes after they are closed, and parked at their back door is a 2000 red and black CBR 929. They put the wrong bike out. My bike was still inside. Had to go back homeand picked it up the next morning.

It is just one headache after another.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 04:07 PM
Grasshopper

I'm not familiar guys, what and where is DGY?

Thanks!
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 04:18 PM
Slowass

Downer's Grove Motorsports...Not southside!
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 04:19 PM
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally posted by redhottR6chick
Downer's Grove Motorsports...Not southside!

So they're snakes there eh?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode