Happy 4/20!! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Head Stepper

Sportbike: TREKK
Years Riding: 9
How you found us: member referal

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate
Cool Happy 4/20!!

Hey everybody! It's 4/20! WOO HOO!!

<-------- Jeff

Hey baby! You ever been on the back of an expensive sportbike??

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 09:41 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills

What am I missing?

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 09:41 AM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

smoke some sticky icky
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
Originally posted by Chills

What am I missing?
its a pot reference!

Chris
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 09:43 AM
Slowass

What are you missing? Cashed lungs, expunged brain cells, decreased sexual stamina, decreased general motivation, increased liklihood to overeat...

PISS ON YOUR DRUGS!

You ain't missin' nothin' Chills!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 09:51 AM
Grasshopper

I'll smoke a big fat HOOT!

And I'm going to when I get off work!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 09:54 AM

So what does 4/20 have to do with that stuff? Remember, I spent the last 8 years in the Army, so I'm a little out of the culture.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 09:55 AM
Grasshopper

Highway 4:20 man. Thats like the average time of the day everyone or most people smoke because they are just getting off work.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 10:01 AM
Slowass

...Not me...I need my lungs good and pink for my run, and need to have my mind about me when lifting weights and meditating...

Yes, I'm being self-righteous!

Still love ya Nick!

Oh, and this is also Hitler's Birthday.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
Originally posted by Grasshopper
Highway 4:20 man. Thats like the average time of the day everyone or most people smoke because they are just getting off work.
not exactly. there are several explanations for the 420 reference, none can be confirmed 100%.

Chris
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 10:05 AM

Thanks, Nick for educating me. This reminds me of my college days.... I'll post a pic or two.

I bleed GREEN
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Head Stepper

This from the LA Times... You have to be a member, but here's the link.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-042002420.story

How a random three-digit number became a pot euphemism is, in itself, a story. Either that, or something from the annals of Cheech & Chong.

Links between youth culture and the number surfaced after the April 20, 1999, Columbine massacre, when some postulated that the shooters chose the date of their rampage to coincide either with Hitler's birthday or some date of unspecified importance to teenage youth culture. Well before that, however, pager-toting suburban adolescents throughout the country used the three digits as a code for smoking marijuana. And in 1991, High Times magazine, a staunch promoter of the 420 phenomenon, published an item on a flier that a staffer found circulating at a Grateful Dead concert in Oakland: "WAKE 'N' BAKE. Smoke Pot At 4:20," the flier reportedly said.

The term, however, appears to have been coined long before then, according to those who have tracked it. Stern, for example, says she heard it as long ago as the late 1980s, when she was working with young people in a Pennsylvania drug treatment facility. Ron Angier, field supervisor for the Marin District of California State Parks, has recollections that are older still, from his first days as a park ranger 22 years ago on Mt. Tamalpais.

"Crowds of teenagers just started showing up on the mountain at 4:20 p.m. on April 20," Angier said. "Maybe a thousand kids went up one year to Bolinas Ridge, this open vista that overlooks the Pacific Ocean and Stinson Beach."

At first, he said, the authorities viewed it as a harmless spring-fever ditch day or, later, a perhaps-overly-enthusiastic Earth Day observation. But soon the annual al fresco smoke-in clogged the two-lane mountain roads with parked cars. "Occasionally we'd have injuries, either from accidents or overdoses," said Angier. "We started having to close down the mountain because it was becoming unsafe."

Finally, in the mid-1990s, the pilgrimage dissipated, to the point that Angier, who now supervises the Mt. Tamalpais ranger station, plans no increase in park enforcement this year. The reason?

"Well, I think this generation has more to do than to just run up to Mt. Tam and get loaded," Angier said. "Also 420 is a nationwide thing now. The events are all over, not just here."

That still doesn't explain what the number 420 has to do with marijuana. One theory holds that there are exactly 420 chemical components in marijuana. (Untrue, say the experts). Another is that when the Grateful Dead toured, they always stayed in Room 420. (Also untrue, says Grateful Dead Productions spokesman Dennis McNally.)

"My kids' little skateboard friends in Oregon used to tell me that 420 was police code for a pot bust," laughed Carolyn "Mountain Girl" Adams, a former wife of the Dead's late guitarist Jerry Garcia, repeating yet another popular, but inaccurate, theory.

"But I never heard the term before the 1990s," she said, speaking by cell phone from a park bench in Colorado, where she had gone to catch the tour of String Cheese Incident, a Dead-inspired jam band.

"We always just said, you know, 'joints' or 'doobies,' or 'Js' or whatever. 'Four-twenty' was a '90s thing that traveled the way hula hoops and Frisbees traveled, along the youth net. Via the hackey-sack crowd."

___
In fact, the only documented story behind the 420 phenomenon is the most comically mundane one, starring a group of now-middle-aged former slackers at San Rafael High School in 1971. One--now a commercial lender in San Francisco--told the story on condition that he be referred to only by his first name, Steve.

"I have a lot of clients in L.A., I'm 47 years old, I don't smoke anymore and I run an $80-million-a-year business," the wiry father of one said, sitting in a small, cubicle-filled office on the 12th floor of a Financial District high-rise.

His desk was filled with snapshots of his 6-year-old daughter, his suit was pinstriped and his filing cabinet sported a plaque from the Better Business Bureau. The only evidence of his assertion that "I'm still an old hippie" was the pair of sneakers he wore around the office instead of the dress shoes he kept under his desk, for meetings.

Few of his old friends, he said, still smoke pot with much frequency. (One, now a Marin County father of two who is a sales representative for a Burbank-based notions company, said in a later phone interview that the last time he got the urge, he had to hide in the garage so his wife and kids wouldn't see him.)

The men said they didn't mind telling their story for posterity, but at this point in their lives, they have too much at stake to speak for attribution. "As my wife says, 'Where's the upside?' " laughed Steve.

In any case, Steve said, in 1971, a friend approached them one day at school with a map of Marin County. "He said his brother-in-law was in the Coast Guard and had planted a patch of weed out on the Point Reyes Peninsula, but believed his C.O. was onto him, and he didn't want to get busted. So he had offered it to our friend, who was offering it to us."

The group agreed to meet that afternoon after school at 4:20 p.m. by a campus statue of Louis Pasteur, he said, and head out to search for the marijuana patch. "But one thing led to another," he laughed, "and suffice it to say we never found it. Every day we'd meet at 4:20 by this statue, and every day we'd just end up getting high and driving around for hours." Over time, the mere phrase "four-twenty"--exchanged in a hallway, or discreetly mentioned in the presence of teachers and parents--became their personal code for "time to get high," he said.

Steve and his friends went off to college--mostly at San Diego State and Cal State San Luis Obispo--but their secret code lived on in Marin County, preserved by younger brothers and friends. "We have postmarked letters we wrote to each other from the early '70s with all kinds of references to '420,' " Steve said. Gradually, he said, the term was picked up by local teenagers, and then by Deadheads, who are legion in Marin County.

"By the mid-1990s," he said, "we started seeing it all over. We couldn't believe it--it was on hats, T-shirts, record labels, cleaning solutions, all over the Internet."

Intrigued, he said, he logged onto a High Times magazine Web site, found the reference to the Grateful Dead flier, and contacted Steven Hager, the magazine's editor-in-chief. Though he did at one point do some research to find out whether the term was trademarked (it is, by various entities for various products), "We weren't looking for money," he said. "We never got a penny, and that wasn't my goal--I already have a successful business. But I e-mailed him anyway and said, 'This is the story. It's not police code, it has nothing to do with Hitler's birthday or chemical compounds, and I have the postmarked letters to prove it. It was just a joke. Just a joke! And now stoners have turned it into some kind of holiday."

High Times eventually did an article in late 1998 on the friends, who stay in touch and still refer to themselves by their old high school gang name, "the Waldos." But by then, the term had taken on a life--and a lore--of its own.

Last year, when the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws took up the 420 banner--announcing that April 20 was "Stoner's New Year," that its national conference would, from then on, be held on 4/20 and that 4:20 p.m. was to pot smokers "what Miller Time has become to beer drinkers--some legalization advocates predicted the exposure would instantly kill the 420 phenomenon with uncoolness. Instead, according to those who have capitalized on it, it has merely followed the natural evolution of all that is trendy in a capitalist market.

"Eighty million Americans have smoked marijuana at some point in their lives, according to government figures. That's one out of three people," noted NORML executive director Keith Stroup, pointing to the same studies the government's Stern used to note that two out of three people haven't used it.

"This idea of 420 being a 'secret code' is kind of funny, when you think that a third of the population is in on the secret. We're going to be selling tickets to our 420 party at $50 a pop--that's how mainstream we think it is."

<-------- Jeff

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 10:08 AM

Sportbike: '09 Yamaha R15, '07 BWM X-Challenge, '05 SV650, (2) '00 VFR, '84 RZ350
Years Riding: 14
How you found us: Speedzilla

Quote:
Originally posted by redhottR6chick
Oh, and this is also Hitler's Birthday.
And 5 years ago today Colubine High School forever changed.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Head Stepper

And then there is this from Snopes.com...

Claim: _ '420' entered drug parlance as a term signifying the time to light up a joint.

Origins: _ Odd terms sneak into our language every now and then, and this is one of the oddest. Everyone who considers himself in the know about the drug subculture has heard that '420' has something to do with illegal drug use, but when you press them, they never seem to know why, or even what the term supposedly signifies.

It's both more and less than people make it out to be. '420' began its sub-rosa linguistic career in 1971 as a bit of slang casually used by a group of high school kids at San Rafael High School in California. '420' (always pronounced "four-twenty," never "four hundred and twenty") came to be an accepted part of the argot within that group of about a dozen pot smokers, beginning as a reminder of the time they planned to meet to light up, 4:20 p.m. Keep in mind this wasn't a general call to all dope smokers everywhere to toke up at twenty past four every day; it was twelve kids who'd made a date to meet near a certain statue. It's thus incorrect to deem that '420' originated as a national or international dope-smoking time, even though the term began as a reference to a particular time of day.

These days '420' is used as a generic way of declaring one likes to use marijuana or just as a term for the substance itself. Its earliest connotation of having to do with the time a certain group of students congregated to smoke wacky tobaccy is unknown to the overwhelming majority of those who now employ the term. Indeed, most instead believe one or more of the many spurious explanations that have since grown up about this much abused short form:

* 420 is the penal code section for marijuana use in California.

Nope. Section 420 of the California penal code refers to obstructing entry on public land. The penal codes of other states list different entries for 420, but none of them matches anything having to do with marijuana.

* It's the Los Angeles or New York police radio code for marijuana smoking in progress.

It's not the police radio code for anything, let alone that.

* It's the number of chemical compounds in marijuana.

The number of chemical compounds in marijuana is 315, according to the folks at High Times magazine.

* April 20 is the date that Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, or Janis Joplin died.

Though these performers were strongly identified with drug use during their brief lifetimes and the emerging drug culture after their demises, none of them kicked the bucket on April 20. Morrison died on July 3, Hendrix on September 18, and Joplin on October 4.

* The 20th of April is the best time to plant marijuana.

There's no one "best time" -- that answer would change from one part of the country to another, or even one country to another.

* Albert Hofmann took the first deliberate LSD trip at 4:20 on 19 April 1943.

This was indeed the case -- his lab notes back this up. But this wasn't the source of "420," just an oddball coincidence. (For the pedants out there, Hofmann's first LSD trip, which was accidental, took place on 16 April 1943.)

* It's the code you send to your drug dealer's pager.

Yeah, right. All drug dealers recognize a '420' page as "Please be waiting on the corner with my baggie of wildwood weed."

* When the Grateful Dead toured, they always stayed in Room 420.

Untrue, says Grateful Dead Productions spokesman Dennis McNally.

Spurious etymologies and uncertain definition aside, '420' has slipped into a position of semi-respectability within the English lexicon. Various free-wheeling cities annually celebrate "hemp fests" on April 20. There's a 4:20 record label in California, and a band called 4:20. Atlanta's Sweetwater Brewing Co. sells its 420 Pale Ale in supermarkets and opens its doors to the public at 4:20 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays. New York's 420 Tours sells low-cost travel packages to the Netherlands and Jamaica. Highway 420 Radio broadcasts "music for the chemically enhanced." And in 2001, the forReal.org web site of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Center for Substance Abuse Prevention put out a public service document titled, "It's 4:20 -- Do You Know Where Your Teen Is?"

420s are routinely slipped into popular movies and television shows. In Fast Times at Ridgemont High the score of the football game was 42-0. Most of the clocks in Pulp Fiction are set to 4:20 (but not all -- when the kid receives the watch it's set at 9:00). And there are many other instances, so keep your eyes peeled.

However, as amusing as it is to tie 420 to pot smoking and hunt for it in popular movies, the number has its dark side. Hitler was born on 20 April 1889, and the massacre of 13 victims at Columbine High School in Colorado took place on 20 April 1999.

<-------- Jeff

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 10:17 AM

Good find, Pirate. Thanks.

I bleed GREEN
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 11:04 AM

Quote:
What are you missing? Cashed lungs, expunged brain cells, decreased sexual stamina, decreased general motivation, increased liklihood to overeat...

PISS ON YOUR DRUGS!

hey Rachel i was gonna say that hahahahahhahha
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 11:09 AM
B.O.B

Sportbike: 'nana.
Years Riding: Look at my join date, ruh-tard.
How you found us: SBN?

Send a message via AIM to EndlessRR
Hmmmm, bonghits. Happy 420!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G
No one says you have to get drunk everytime you drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoodles
Isn't that like having sex and not finishing though?
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 12:12 PM
Slowass

Quote:
Originally posted by bravo6
hey Rachel i was gonna say that hahahahahhahha
That's why I like you bro! ... I can always count on you to wanna go do shit...You're the one person even I can't keep up with! All you stoners can stay home and eat your Taco Bell...

I hope you guys know I'm just giving ya'll shit! Have fun today!
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 10:04 PM
Doc

Sportbike: 2006 Lemond Zurich
Years Riding: since the age of 4
How you found us: SBN...back in the day!

Send a message via AIM to Doc
Quote:
Originally posted by Kiecker
And 5 years ago today Colubine High School forever changed.
Today a student at Manteno High School (town just south of where they want to build a 2nd airport ) decided he wanted to reinact the Columbine massacre. Luckily, the were onto him before he could make it to school. I don't know the specifics, but friends that teach in the school were emailing others at my school and stated the 12 yr. old student was caught with 2 guns and a crossbow. Sad to think that there are kids out there with that kind of anger, hate, and misled lives to want to do something like that. Glad they caught him prior to him making it to school.

Doc

2006 Lemond Zurich

"A man who dares to waste an hour of life has not discovered the value of life."-Darwin
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Head Stepper

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc
Today a student at Manteno High School (town just south of where they want to build a 2nd airport ) decided he wanted to reinact the Columbine massacre. Luckily, the were onto him before he could make it to school. I don't know the specifics, but friends that teach in the school were emailing others at my school and stated the 12 yr. old student was caught with 2 guns and a crossbow. Sad to think that there are kids out there with that kind of anger, hate, and misled lives to want to do something like that. Glad they caught him prior to him making it to school.

Doc
WOW! Where the hell are the parents?

<-------- Jeff

post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 10:54 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Quote:
Originally posted by Pirate
WOW! Where the hell are the parents?
See, if the kid was a pothead, he'd just be stoned all day...
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 01:59 AM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

Quote:
expunged brain cells, decreased sexual stamina...

Well.....so we're saying Chills is a toker?

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 08:30 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
I'm on the straight and narrow And it's been a bear so far, I never realized how often I was "self medicating" to deal with stress, and it didn't help at all, just masked it So now I have to stare at reality in the face Reality is a pretty ugly place IMHO.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode