Location Advice (Moving to Chicago)
Well, I'm getting closer to the actual decision time and I was wondering about some areas in Chicago and thought I would hit the locals for some feedback.
- Older home (early 1900's or older!)
- No bible thumping (I don't blend well with the Christian conservative community, I do better with the liberal art crowd)
- Lower Crime
- Good schools (I have a 21 month old, so school will matter soon)
- Near the Metra (will probably end up working down-town initially)
- Reasonable access to a highway (Byron raceway, family in Chicago north, Milwaukee, etc.)
- Stable property tax rate (or at least not outrageous)
- Access to good shopping (the big shops like grocery, Lowes, etc.)
Now, the list I have so far that looks like it will work and be affordable in the current housing market is:
- Elgin (not south)
- Crystal Lake
- Geneva (favorite so far)
Anyone have feedback on any/all of the areas? Good, bad, anything to help sift the list down some.