Just witnessed a T-bone accident so close debris hit me and the bike - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

Just witnessed a T-bone accident so close debris hit me and the bike

At 1:40am at the intersect of Finley and Butterfield in Downers Grove, there was a bad T-bone accident. Car turned left in front of another car. The car going straight was going around 60 or 70 mph. The passenger in the car that turned left was f*cked up with internal injuries and probable concusion, she wasn't makes a sound or moving much. The cars were heading South/North bound. I was heading East bound. There was a SUV full of drunk kids next to me at the intersect, three hotties and two dudes. Anyway, I heard the skidding tires, figured it was kids messing around. Then I see the car turn left and then I see the other car nail him. The car going straight bouced off the other car and started to swerve toward me and the SUV. I thought I was a goner He was able to correct it and project himself right by me and on to the corner of the intersect, then up an enbankment, caught some nice air and landed in the parking lot of an office building. He was flying when he entered that intersection. At impact there was a huge cloud of dust and smoke. Debris shot everywhere. One piece bounced off my headlight. A larger piece slowly slid into my foot. There was so much dust and debris that it got inside my helmet and into my eyes. The car that turned left was damaged on the front passenger side. The car that went straight was smashed up to its windshield. When the cops got there and gathered all the witnesses, it reaked off alcohol, all the other witnesses had just come from or were going to Riprocks. They were all blitzed. Anyway, I gave the cop my story and took off. I now see why so many bikers die in T-bone collisions. You think you are invincible? Think you can jump out of the way of an accident? Think your gear will save you? You think you can brake in time? YOU ARE WRONG! You will die or by paralized. I have no doubt. The power of that collison was tremedous. I have rethought my ownership of a motorcycle after seeing that collison. I don't know how much more riding I will be doing. I think it is time to keep it on the track. I'll be hitting the NESBA and WERA sites tonight and tomorrow. Ride Safe???...It doesn't matter, if you get hit by another car, you are dead or paralyzed. Riding safe will not do one thing. I'm out.

Last edited by whiteSeatEnvy; 05-07-2004 at 03:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Unfortunatly thats one of the realities of riding a motorcycle you have to know that and accept it. I know all about it I cam real close to being the one that got t-boned one night many years ago. You have to be soooo careful when entering an intersection. Plus riding at 1:40 am when all the bars are letting out is dnagerous, at that point just crash at your buddys house or take a route that doesnt pass a bar.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 08:18 AM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

I hope that "I'm Out" was just you signing off from the post.

I agree with EVERYTHING you said........but you cant live your life by "WHAT IFS". You can step back off the throttle, you can give up leaning hard into curves, you can buy a moped but that will not make you happy.

A lot of people die in "cars" that are t-boned. Its fate bro.

Or chance. You just have to be VERY cautious around intersections. Just Wed night when Matt and i were riding to Strats we were cooking pretty good down Lake when further up i saw a red Crown Vic waiting to pull out of Platt Hill nursery. In my mind i thought about the sun somewhat behind us, not too much traffic around us, and chances are its an "older person" coming out of a nursery. I put my left arm out to tell matt to slow down and get over in the left lane. He looked at me like i was nuts or had a problem. I immediately put on my brights and began slowing down. (ready for anything) DAMN SURE ENOUGH the car pulled out right in front of us making a wide right hand turn. we braked and it was not too bad. Had we continued our speed--------who knows?

We caught up to the car and as i inched over i tapped on her drivers side window and yelled "watch for the traffic next time!"
Scared the shit out of the lady!! At the red light Matt asked how the hell did i catch that? I told him "I expected that" and he said " Ya know i never really paid that much attention!"

Ya gotta be offensive and EXTREMELY devensive on a bike. Expect the unexpected and by all means Pray for the Best!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 08:25 AM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

you could just sit home in a rocking chair for the next 60 years never leaving the house. have your food delivered. look back when your 90 and wonder what the hell you did with your life.

Live life to the fullest

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 08:39 AM
Make my day!!!!!

Sportbike: Looking at a shiny Huffy!
Years Riding: 20+ yrs.
How you found us: member

At least I would die happy!!!!

Think about that girl in the car. How many motorcyclist died while driving their car. I read of tons of accidents where people crash into your home. Or how about leaving work walking to your car and an SUV comes flying over the embankment. No matter where you go or what you do Death is waiting for you.

In closing My license plat reads LVN LIF (LIVING LIFE)!!!! If you don't do that than your dead already!!!!!

Living life! Because before you know it it is over!

Joe

FACEBOOK
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 08:49 AM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

ya trust me dude, you really dont want to giv up riding. For the last month I have been sitting here with no bike, I have done nothing but play with guns, watch thenews and get madder at the lib media, drik beer and lift weights. If I dont get a bike soon, I'm either building a bunker or going on a killing spree. you need some excitment in your life.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 09:09 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

Hey bro,

experiences like this suck!!!! We all went through this a couple years ago when something bad happened to one of our own. It comes down to doing what you love and what risk you're willing to take to do that. All I know is with my luck, if I quit riding I'd sit down in my rocking chair in front of the tv and a car would barrel through my house and kill me. It can happen anytime and anywhere so my best advice is to be at peace, and be ready my friend.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GsxrTony
I have done nothing but play with guns, watch thenews and get madder at the lib media, drik beer and lift weights. If I dont get a bike soon, I'm either building a bunker or going on a killing spree.
You're my hero man.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 09:15 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

Quote:
ya trust me dude, you really dont want to giv up riding. For the last month I have been sitting here with no bike, I have done nothing but play with guns, watch thenews and get madder at the lib media, drik beer and lift weights. If I dont get a bike soon, I'm either building a bunker or going on a killing spree. you need some excitment in your life.
Tony,

if we quit drinkin and playin with guns at my house you could take mine out for a spin It would probably be easier on both of our wallets with all the beer we drink when we get together.......how do our wives put up with us.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 09:17 AM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

Quote:
I have done nothing but play with guns, watch the news and get madder at the lib media, drik beer and lift weights. If I dont get a bike soon, I'm either building a bunker or going on a killing spree.
Is this what you meant Wed when you asked "If i wanted to join another "CLUB"?

By killing spree i am sure you mean the dandelions in the yard right?

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy
Tony,

if we quit drinkin and playin with guns at my house you could take mine out for a spin It would probably be easier on both of our wallets with all the beer we drink when we get together.......how do our wives put up with us.
No shit

Speaking of which we need to talk

- Ronald Reagan

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 09:57 AM
Giddy Up

Sportbike: 2002 ZX7R
Years Riding: 8 Years
How you found us: google

Whiteseat,

Glad you are okay and I pray for all of the victims stemming from the accident you witnessed. I can't even imagine how that must have felt. I seriously hope you continue to ride though. We've all had close encounters before but a mature rider will learn from the experience and take the necessary precautions going forward. I have to imagine that riding is not the ONLY love that we have and there are other people and things to consider but it is that sum of the parts that make you whole and define your personality and character overall. But ultimately, it's your choice....however I remember the first time meeting you and the zest and vigor you had for riding!!!! You wouldn't be the same person without it.

If you want to talk about this, drop me a PM.

Hans

***Hans***
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 10:40 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

dont live your life in another mans shawdow, chin up and walk towards the sun my boy!

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 10:45 AM
Grasshopper

Dude, don't stop riding because of this one incident, just use it as a learning experience. Drive more defensively. Expect for the asshole to pull out in front of you. Expect for the asshole to blow the stop light. Expect the asshole to try and run you over. EXPECT IT! Because the will! I've been riding on the street now for close to 6 years and I've seen alot in that short time. It's scary at times, but way more fun most of the time then scary. Take this one with a grain of salt. Mabe take a little break, but don't stop riding. If you love riding as much as I do, you'll take a deep breath and keep going
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 11:07 AM

Re: Just witnessed a T-bone accident so close debris hit me and the bike

Quote:
Originally posted by whiteSeatEnvy
At 1:40am at the intersect of Finley and Butterfield in Downers Grove, there was a bad T-bone accident.
That's like 3 blocks from my work...
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 11:59 AM

Sportbike: 1998 CR 250
Years Riding: Dirt: 1988 Street: 2001
How you found us: Original Gangsta

Send a message via AIM to MoTo178 Send a message via MSN to MoTo178 Send a message via Yahoo to MoTo178
Quote:
Originally posted by Grasshopper
Dude, don't stop riding because of this one incident, just use it as a learning experience. Drive more defensively. Expect for the asshole to pull out in front of you. Expect for the asshole to blow the stop light. Expect the asshole to try and run you over. EXPECT IT! Because the will! I've been riding on the street now for close to 6 years and I've seen alot in that short time. It's scary at times, but way more fun most of the time then scary. Take this one with a grain of salt. Mabe take a little break, but don't stop riding. If you love riding as much as I do, you'll take a deep breath and keep going
EXACTLY! ...and spoken by someone who truely could have thrown in the towel on motorcycles. If you really do like riding then you shouldn't let the incident stop you. Learn from it like Nick said. I expect the worst from every car out there.

Sean
NESBA ADVANCED #178

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 12:16 PM
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally posted by MoTo178
EXACTLY! ...and spoken by someone who truely could have thrown in the towel on motorcycles. If you really do like riding then you shouldn't let the incident stop you. Learn from it like Nick said. I expect the worst from every car out there.

You're pretty cool sean, I don't care what VCOOK, PIRATE and UNDERDOG (You're Monkey Brothers) say about you.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 12:45 PM
-= OuterSpace =-

Sportbike: Yamaha YZ450
Years Riding: too many to keep track
How you found us: Shizzle

Quote:
Ride Safe???...It doesn't matter, if you get hit by another car, you are dead or paralyzed. Riding safe will not do one thing. I'm out.
Riding safe does help. Even if you did get hit by a car... there are plenty of people out there that have been hit and suffered minor injury thanks to wearing gear or riding safe.

Also, you can get hit by a car and be un-injured. My brother was t-boned on a bike, he had someone on back of his bike that was un-injured. And speaking of someone that should of quit riding... He's been in two bad wreaks on bikes that put him in the hospital and he still rides.

04 Yamaha YZ450F - Off-Road it, mang
06 Kawasaki BruteForce 750i
09 Yamaha Raptor 700r

- Mike - OldSkool - MC -
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 12:56 PM
SICK OF IT ALL

Sportbike: missing my RC51
Years Riding: 9+
How you found us: drove by Strats one night & stopped in

Hey Jon don't give up. Seeing something like that is tramatic to anybody whether they ride bikes or not. Intersections are dangerous to anyone. But put it into context; almost 2 in morning on an already dangerous interesection.

You are a good rider and a safe rider. Just take the bike out of the city and ride some country roads and fall back in love with it. I know you love riding because you got 20k miles on that 2 year old 954. Just don't make a rash decision. Shoot me a call this weekend at home---I am PM'ing you my home phone...My cell phone aint working...

Wayne

Standing together
Side by side
Staying true to what’s inside
United as one, we fight

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 02:25 PM
FASTEST AT CRA FOREVER!

Sportbike: 916 ducati, 2002 aprilia falco 1991 KZ750(the monster killer!)
Years Riding: 33
How you found us: speedzilla

Quote:
. I now see why so many bikers die in T-bone collisions. You think you are invincible? Think you can jump out of the way of an accident? Think your gear will save you? You think you can brake in time? YOU ARE WRONG! You will die or by paralized. I have no doubt. The power of that collison was tremedous. I have rethought my ownership of a motorcycle after seeing that collison. I don't know how much more riding I will be doing. I think it is time to keep it on the track. I'll be hitting the NESBA and WERA sites tonight and tomorrow. Ride Safe???...It doesn't matter, if you get hit by another car, you are dead or paralyzed. Riding safe will not do one thing. I'm out.
WSE do what your heart and your head tell you to or you'll never be happy. If your hit by a car and survive your LUCKY plain and simple, I've been hit twice

1st time: Had my front wheel taken out from under me as I watched my buddys disappear behind me, 8 months rehab, 19 surgeries, 2 pins,6 bone plates permanent nerve damage to my taste and smell, had to learn to walk again, fused vertebrea...

2nd time: rear ended at a light, whiplash, broken vertebrea, dislocated shoulder, broke both collar bones...

I myself couldn't wait to get back on a bike, but thats a decision only you can make for yourself.

It's a dangerous hobby, and as such the first time YOU dont want to do it... DONT do it.

Style is the excuse used by those who have neither the nerve or the intelligence to live their own lives.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 02:26 PM

Sportbike: Ducati 696
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: Crazy (Brian)

Send a message via Yahoo to Flatline
A lot of people pray on here which is AWESOME. There is, however, another step we can take to ensure that we are ok. That is have faith. Not have faith in other driver, your bike, or even your own skills. Its having faith in God. Now I won't preach to you all but faith in God is believing what He says. God promises us long life. He also tells us that we have angels encamped around us. So for me I choose to focus on life. Besides, Some of you believers may already know that we have been given power over death! PM me if that's too deep for you! All in all, like many of you have said, if you focus on death you are already dead. So choose life!!!!
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

Thanks guys

I'm just a big baby lol. I got over it and I am going for a ride tonight in about 45 minutes. You guys are great. Thanks for the words of encouragement.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 11:37 PM
Old School

Sportbike: 85 V65 Sabre
Years Riding: 27 years of street and dirt before that
How you found us: from roach

Send a message via AIM to WITMAN
NOT A BABY

everyone has close calls
look at this way to maybe fate was on your side and you were stopped and not going through the intersection when that guy blasted thru- and you were safe and they were not in the car.
maybe it is giving you a chance to pay more attention and think twice about riding at 2am.
if you fall off the horse get back on- even if the fall is in your mind not on your butt.
ride safe
whit

<............... Whitney

TWO WHEELS ARE THE ONLY WAY TO EXPERIENCE HEAVEN ON EARTH
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 09:52 AM
Giddy Up

Sportbike: 2002 ZX7R
Years Riding: 8 Years
How you found us: google

Re: Thanks guys

Quote:
I'm just a big baby lol. I got over it and I am going for a ride tonight in about 45 minutes. You guys are great. Thanks for the words of encouragement.
Sounds of jets flying over head.....

Good to have you back Maverick!!!!

Goose

PS "But you're still dangerous"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode