Rant: Procedure for pulling over... is there one? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Rant: Procedure for pulling over... is there one?

Here is my rant about police pulling over people...enjoy!

This is something that happens all the time, can be avoided, one day Iím just going to get really pissed off and do something about it (maybe).

So Iím on my way to work this Monday frekiní morning, Iím waiting at the red light on Finley and Roosevelt Rd. (Iím on Finley going South).

A cop pulls a car over that is making a left turn from Roosevelt (Westbound) on the Finley (Southbound), they stop right there just a couple feet past the intersection blocking the right lane

Iím still sitting there waiting for the light to turn green but Iím already starting to boil with anger. There is a few driveways and parking lots that they can turn in to on the right. I mean, the car is the one that is the dumb ass pulling over right there, he should have pulled over out of the way. But then the police officer, he doesnít tell him to move, he just parks it behind him and leaves his frekiní car door wide open as he walks over to talk to the driver of the car. How about getting on that frekiní speaker and just saying ď dumb ass, pull it over in the parking lot, donít block the roadĒ so now the light turns green and we all have to be inconvenienced by this cluster fu*k in the middle of a frekiní busy intersection in the middle of the morning rush hour traffic

So there is plenty of cars turning right from Roosevelt (Eastbound) on to Finley, now all the cars that are waiting to cross the intersection have to merge into one lane and still allow the cars to make a right from Roosevelt into the left lane since the cars are blocking the right lane

So I had no paper and pen handy, but I was thinking of getting the cops numbers and calling to the Lombard police station to find out what the hell is the procedure when pulling over vehicles. I mean is it OK to block a lane of traffic and inconvenience other motorists like this? I really wanted to pull up next to the police officer, lower my passenger window and just ask him if he could possibly move it to the parking lot, which is like 5 feet away

I see this all the time, it is simply too dangerous to pull a car over and block a lane on a busy road, it starts traffic jams and delays, and may cause accidents. It is just point less and ridiculous. I know that the cagers freak out sometimes and just stop their cars anywhere, but isnít it the job of the Police to keep the traffic flowing smoothly?

Iím pissed!

Last edited by VIVID1; 05-10-2004 at 12:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 11:59 AM

You have entirely too much free time at work that you can design a pic of the situation???? Wow!

I agree with you though. Cops need to take it off the street
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 12:06 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

I actually had a cop start whooping at me with his siren after I took a few seconds to find a better place to pull over. He wanted to block the entire lane (there's only one lane per direction) and found that really obnoxious so I know where you're coming from.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 12:06 PM
Weapons Tech Guru

Sportbike: Borrowed Ones
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: through SBN

Send a message via Yahoo to Ofc. Ponch
Lombard squad cars are black and white not solid white.

WOW, there was no traffic on the east side on finely or on roosevelt at that time either?

Arrogance has to be earned.
Serve, Protect and Break a ......
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 12:09 PM
Head Stepper

Sportbike: TREKK
Years Riding: 9
How you found us: member referal

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate
It's the police officeers job to pull up behind the vehicle. If the guy stops in the middle of the expressway, the police officer is to pull up bhind him. What if the guy that he pulled over was under the influence of something, and the police officer told him to continue on up to the parking lot? He forced him to drive under the influence...

<-------- Jeff

Hey baby! You ever been on the back of an expensive sportbike??

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I agree with you though. Cops need to take it off the street
I'm a designer, it took me like 3 minutes to draw that, plus I was eating a banana... taking a break, sort of. It took me 10 minutes to type up my rant though

Last edited by VIVID1; 05-10-2004 at 12:18 PM.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by CRAZe Inc
I actually had a cop start whooping at me with his siren after I took a few seconds to find a better place to pull over.
I donít think there is a law that says you have to pull over right away, you should find a safe place to pull over in. Most police officers will tell the car over the speaker to pull over in a specific place, not to block the road. That in my opinion is the correct way of doing things.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Pirate
If the guy stops in the middle of the expressway, the police officer is to pull up bhind him. What if the guy that he pulled over was under the influence of something, and the police officer told him to continue on up to the parking lot? He forced him to drive under the influence...
damn freken' right, get the hell out of the way, what if this causes an accident.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

I can't find anything about what you should do when you're being pulled over in the state of Illinois or the town of Lombard, but some other states have very informative websites.................. most say ďRed/blue lights and/or a siren mean pull over to the right where it is safe and where you will not block traffic.ď
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 01:45 PM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
I think all parties involved should be shot.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 03:55 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

ill save this for later to read.

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 04:10 PM
Grand Master Crash

Sportbike: none for now
Years Riding: ...classified...
How you found us: My psychic advisor told me about it

Quote:
Originally posted by Odysseys
ill save this for later to read.
LOL... good idea. Something tells me this thread is going to get ugly in a hurry...

Quote:
Originally posted by Sticky
I think all parties involved should be shot.
Oh boy... here we go...

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 04:12 PM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Yea usually the driver SHOULD pull over off the road unless there is no where, BUT this isn't a pefect world as ya see EVERYDAY. I have seen where a cop made the person pull off the road so they wouldn't block traffic. I think it depends on the police officer.

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 04:33 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

I had a cop pull me over once, and I drove for like an extra block, to park out of the way. he wasn't to happy about it.

As much as it is annoying, they are just doin' their job. For all the cop knows, the person behind the wheel might not even speak english or be deaf. Yellin thru the megaphone to keep goin until they find a better place to pullover is ridiculous. Be pissed at the stupid driver.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by OmniGLH
Something tells me this thread is going to get ugly in a hurry...

Where I work in Lombard, I see people pulled over everyday on Finley, most of the time they are blocking the one lane, even though there is plenty of parking lots to pull into. I guess that is why I'm posting and inquiring about this here. I want to know what the procedure is, can the police stop a car anywhere and block traffic or are they supposed to move to the shoulder or a near by parking lot or driveway that is the only question here? (which no one has answered yet, so I guess no one knows, I don't know either) I was hoping some of our police officers and ex-police officers could clear this up for me.

Iím sure when you go to the Police Academy they teach you how to pull people over, it canít be just do whatever you want out thereÖ.or can it?
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 04:44 PM
YO MAMA

OK, now that i got to read this when the phone isn't ringing off the freaking hook.

this is my out take on this and i do know what i am talking about when it comes to unknown risk stops
AKA: pulling someone over for some reason and then the complete procedure.

from your diagrams EVERYTHING IS WRONG.
but i wont go into details on how the officer placed his car for tactical advantage or what ever offense it was or what not.

what i will share in a professional manner is this:

for what ever reason the officer pulled over the suspects car...the only prime concern now
1st is officer safety by position his car and himself for the vehicle approach.

"which he did POORLY"

traffic being held up is not his priority no matter how much people don't like it.

but it was the decision he made and now he "COULD" follow threw with it, but if he was smart, i too would have had him pull into that driveway of a "BUSINESS" if it was and NOT a residence driveway.

there is so much stuff to this from the officers procedures to his and his suspects safety while in his care/custody/control to a certain extent, BUT NONE is...."duh i hope people don't get made cause i am doing a vehicle stop here, and some poor lady is going to be inconvenience".

this is nothing more then peoples attitudes that piss people off even more, cops are people too with feelings, and YES not all cops are perfect in the way they SHOULD by the book do things AND BEING COURTEOUS for those being inconvenience by them pulling someone over for breaking the law in some traffic matter.

but yes Anna, he could have handled that better, and you rolling down the window telling him off HOPEFULLY his answer would have been, sorry mam and please move on now for your safety and my safety.

do you guys want me to keep going on this? i don't think there's a point unless this is a cop board for learning new tactics but it isn't...so i think i should shut up now...lol

but for the most part...you must YEILD to emergency vehicle or police vehicle with there lights and or sirens going off and make way in a safe as possible manner as it is such for the reverse to procede with caution.

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 04:46 PM
YO MAMA

to answer that question anna

"want to know what the procedure is, can the police stop a car anywhere and block traffic or are they supposed to move to the shoulder or a near by parking lot or driveway"

the answer is YES in short

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 04:47 PM
YO MAMA

also

" it canít be just do whatever you want out thereÖ.or can it?"

no it is not.

do you need me to explain more?

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 04:49 PM

Sportbike: BMW S1000RR
Years Riding: more please
How you found us: member

I see that all the time...I also hate those ruber-necks that create trafic!!!!!!!!

***DON'T MESS WITH THE BEST***
ďLife may begin at 30, but it doesnít get real interesting until about 150.Ē

2010 BMW S1000RR- TRY ME
2006 Honda CBR1000RR - Wooohooo
Interceptor 781 (it was a good ride)
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 04:59 PM
YO MAMA

you think local cops have it bad?

state troopers have a BITCH of a time, 1 out of 100 times results in some asshole causing an accident cause they are paying more attention to the pretty lights and whats going on OR not slowing down enough cause the asshole just backed down 30mpr so he can get a look too, then theres the drunk assholes that crash right into the back of a state cops car...lol

TONS of fun stuff
and even more things to do, and not to do for trooper pull overs, but they like local cops say example 2 squads could BLOCK the whole dam lane if they felt the need to cause of the risk from traffic to suspects actions..and guess what if your ever behind them when this is going on...just keep this option in the back of your mind.

WHERE TO GET THE FUCK AWAY, just incase the shit hits the fan.

post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 05:09 PM
Work In Progress...

Sportbike: 2005 Harley Night Train
Years Riding: I dunno ?
How you found us: Been around a couple years

Send a message via MSN to BuzByU
ok then..... I love this site!

2005 Harley Night Train
2001 Golf GTI VR6 - Super Charged-Intercooler, Nitrous = 305 HP... stage 4 to come soon! .. can you say 400? HP? in a Go Kart!
1999 Ford SVT Lightning - Super Charged @ 600 ponies

Yea I am compensating..

Gregg
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Can they at least close their door? Iíve never seen this done as much as in LombardÖsheesh
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 05:22 PM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
so Ken agrees, they should all be shot

j/k remember I'm the left-wing pacifist

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 05:34 PM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

While I agree that where a traffic violator stops is not their first priority, public safety IS their first priority. Their traffic stops should not create a greater hazard than the violation they are stopping for in the first place. Protection of the public is their job. Procedures should include methods to alleviate a dangerous situation.

Dave
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 05:57 PM
YO MAMA

Anna there is a reason to why they should not close the door "to lock/close/slam etc...but leaving the door WIDE open?
thats wrong....no doubt this guy had his head up his ass this morning.

Dave to help answer your suggestions
"While I agree that where a traffic violator stops is not their first priority"

well it kind of is for alot of reasons, 1st and formost, there ability to handle the stop in the safest manner they can " be allowed" to do it so they don't get killed by traffic or if the suspects on a
"its kill a cop day for him" who knows maybe the guy had a warrant and decided to not turn it into a felony stop since no one saw the whole thing from start to finish.

"public safety IS their first priority. Their traffic stops should not create a greater hazard than the violation they are stopping for in the first place. "

yes, on not causing more then necessary traffic back ups....but honestly WHO CARES!!!!!! i don't give a shit if your late for work cause i pull some guy over for a DUI, a warrant, a hit and run, or suspended license, i have to get this guy as long as it "depending on the offense" not do a chase for blowing a stop sign risking peoples lives doing 100mpr in traffic, not worth the risk to no one.

"Protection of the public is their job. Procedures should include methods to alleviate a dangerous situation."

true and there is certain methods but since he had no back up to control traffic or i don't know if he did call for back up or not....i guess he handled it the way he "wanted" to...NOT in the best way for his safety thats for sure!., but he got his law breaker and took care of the deed, and everyone who was going around him by doing there job or not hitting pedestrian's or the cop or another car, 1 cop can not control the world entirely around them while he is doing his job, but like i said, he could have don't A LOT better then what Anna showed he did.
but i think most of you guys are looking at this in a different spectrum of light.

post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 08:01 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

whhhew at least anna left out the lady pushing the stroller causing all sorts of havoc on the side walk!!!!hahahahahahahaha

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 08:13 PM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally posted by JimGoFast
whhhew at least anna left out the lady pushing the stroller causing all sorts of havoc on the side walk!!!!hahahahahahahaha

Oh yeah, you gotta watch those strollers. I hate it when they block traffic!

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 08:40 PM
Weapons Tech Guru

Sportbike: Borrowed Ones
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: through SBN

Send a message via Yahoo to Ofc. Ponch
Can you change the squad car colors and add more traffic?

Please!

Arrogance has to be earned.
Serve, Protect and Break a ......
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 08:51 PM
YO MAMA

and a few baby strollers and some homeless people and corner fires...lol

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 09:35 PM

I pulled people over on clarendon hills rd, which is a very busy 2 lane road, all the time. I couldnt have cared less if I was obstucting traffic. I usually got the guys license and told them to pull off on the next side street, but thats only because I didnt want to get hit when I had to get out of my car to return their license or hand out the ticket. As far as the speaker goes, no one listens to ya.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode