Can Chicago be ANY bigger?!! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Can Chicago be ANY bigger?!!

Wow, I took a trip into the windy city to look at locations and do some job interviewing. I had the pleasant experience of coming down from Milwaukee on Friday during the rain into downtown for an interview while driving my full sized bike hauler (Van).

EEGAD!!

Okay, so I am in for some adjustment. That I can deal with.

I hit Grayslake, Mundelein, Prospect Heights, Mount Prospect, Glen Ellyn, Barrington, Downer's Grove, Naperville, and probably more that I cannot remember at the moment. That was a LOT of driving to see about 20 properties.

I had some questions for you folks familiar with the city..

It appears, and no offense to anyone I hope, that Wheaton is a bible town. Would that be accurate? Could a somewhat rebellious drag racer find any like minds here or would it be a modern day version of "Foot Loose"?

How about Barrington, I LOVE the older homes (not the prices..) but it too looks like it may be a very conservative area. Am I wrong here? The whole town was immaculate and I just don't want to end up surrounded by snobs.

How does Naperville or Downers Grove rate? Would I find some down to earth professionals there who like to cut loose once in awhile?

The reason I am searching closer is due to the possibility that I may go back into consulting. If so, I will need to work north, downtown, and potentially west as well so I would like to deal with that whole commute issue up front and minimize it as much as possible.

Thanks for any feedback.. and again, I am not anti-religion, I just usually don't blend so well with people who are religion-focused.

Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 09:40 PM
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
I don't think you'll have any problems with the religeous folk in any of the burbs. You are right about Barrington, except its a little worse.....they're canadian snobs(j/k rick).

I like the DG area a lot more than naperville but I generally don't like the more "suburban" suburbs(if that makes any sense). I live in Schaumburg which I like a lot. It has a lot of what the city has so you don't have to go downtown just because you want to get out.

Hope this helps.

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I lived in Downers, its an awesome place to live and the property valuse are only going up. Buying there is a great investment. Also drive time wise its just about perfect to get anywhere.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 10:14 PM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Re: Can Chicago be ANY bigger?!!

Quote:
Originally posted by eliXXir

It appears, and no offense to anyone I hope, that Wheaton is a bible town. Would that be accurate? Could a somewhat rebellious drag racer find any like minds here or would it be a modern day version of "Foot Loose"?
That's pretty accurate. It's a mostly dry town and definately pretty conservative, moreso than many of the western burbs, and that's saying something.

Dave
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 10:15 PM
Let the good times roll

Sportbike: 2005 HD Road King
Years Riding: 30+ years
How you found us: From another web forum

Re: Can Chicago be ANY bigger?!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by eliXXir
[B]

Wheaton is a bible town...dry as well. On the flip side it is a very pleasent community. I live next by and have no problems with riding my bikes or being accepted. Then again, I dont care what people in that town would think anyway....

Shiny side up, rubber side down.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 10:30 PM

If you are looking to have the flexibility of going N/S/W I would sugest Schaumburg/Palatine/Elk Grove Village. There is shopping/attractions/restaurants abound and easy to get to expressways to get you downtown, N or W.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 11:33 PM
Ron
Workin' up to the track

Sportbike: In between bikes right now
Years Riding: 15
How you found us: don't remember

There are a few of us on the board who live in Barrington, and the folks who live in town are regular folks. You have to get out into places like Barrington Hills to go where the real money is. If you look around, there are quite a few nice homes for sale in the village that are reasonable. Good luck...

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.

We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition dies, I think the soul of America dies with it.

- Edward R. Murrow
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 11:44 PM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally posted by favorednation
There are a few of us on the board who live in Barrington, and the folks who live in town are regular folks. You have to get out into places like Barrington Hills to go where the real money is. If you look around, there are quite a few nice homes for sale in the village that are reasonable. Good luck...
Barrington rules Because I have a neighbour who rides Barrington Hills has some nice roads too, just watch out for the freaking deer. I would stay out of Barrington, Lake County....taxes too high, Cook County reasonable, and the neighbourhood Ron and I live in some nice homes, that need a little work, and I bet you'll double your value in 3 to 5 years.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 11:48 PM
Banned

Sportbike: Kawasaki Zx-10 Ninja
Years Riding: since i was 5
How you found us: sbn

ya barrington rocks, thats where the guy who puts v8 engines in fiero has his bus
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 11:49 PM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

well I grew up in borington....er...barrington....and we moved here when I was about 13 or 14. People are all very nice, and for the most part they are every bit as nice as those who don't have wads of cash laying around. The town is immaculate but I never thought it hindered my family and I from doing anything or being who we are. Nearly any bit of land in Barrington that you get is gorgeous, and my favorite areas are: Lake Barrington, North Barrington, Fox Point, and downtown Barrington. South Barrington is blech-- no character (the homes OR the people).

Only problems I ever had were (1) we lived so far north in barrington that, back in the day, everything was so damn far away. With the growth in the crystal lake and deer park areas, this is less of a problem. But still, I rarely, if ever, DO anything IN Barrington. There's nothing in the town limits worth doing.

(2) Going to high school at BHS sucked. Please please don't ever make your children go there. Everyone I meet in life looks at me sideways when they found out I went there. In HS I had a used Saab 9000 and it was the most worthless car in the parking lot. I had a 4.5 out of 4.0 GPA and I still only graduated about 20th in my class. It was totally un-diverse and taught me nothing about how to be a well-rounded adult. I constantly have to convince people that I CAN identify with them, in spite of the fact that I am from Barrington-- the facts that I was born in NY and left Barrington asap usually follows, and only then do people lay off.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Wow, thanks a lot for the info so far.

I have seen a couple of houses in Barrington that were very nice and not so huge. The taxes in the village were in the same range as DG and most of DuPage county. I don't know why people think they are so outrageous.

As far as Wheaton goes, well.. I think I have to just scratch that one off the list entirely. Dry city?!

The whole Schaumberg, Palatine idea is great except there just don't seem to be any older homes there. I will say that I thought that Barrington was a beautiful little town. It felt like it wasn't part of a big city, and that would be a nice feeling after a long day in corporate life.

DG will stay on the list, of course, but I think so will Barrington for now.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 10:44 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I live in Naperville and I like it a lot. Just recently it was voted "best place to raise your children." Its got a great downtown area with a nice riverwalk. Its a bit pricey and kinda far from the Loop, but I think the commute is worth it.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
Originally posted by eliXXir
As far as Wheaton goes, well.. I think I have to just scratch that one off the list entirely. Dry city?!

they have one bar, The Gables. its a total dump! So of course i've been there many a time. Wheaton is a bit of a bible thumping town, but it is quite nice there. Still, for your money there are other town I'd choose to live in.

Chris
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 11:05 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
Quote:

Here's a quote from a statement concerning behavior, or more specifically "membership in the academic community of Wheaton College".

Quote:
The College requires members of its community to abstain from gambling, the illegal use of drugs, most forms of social dancing, and the use of tobacco and alcoholic beverages.
Footloose was spot on

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 11:07 AM

I used to live in Elmhurst. It has what you are looking for. Old homes and new homes, close to downtown and easy to get to south, west and north, itís close to all the major highways I-88, I-290, I-355, I-294, I-90 and I-55...
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 11:07 AM
VTwin FTW!

Sportbike: 2013 Ducati Diavel Cromo
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: Friend

How about Elmhurst. According to Chicago magazine last year, it's the #1 community in IL. It's not cheap, but no worse than Barrington.

It's centrally located with all major expressways close by, so is the airport. We have a train station in town, schools are great if you have kids, and everybody is freindly.

Wheaton's water SUCKS. They say it's Lake Michigan water, but it doesn't taste like it.

Just my .02.

Mike
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 11:17 AM
Wannabe racer

Sportbike: KTM, GasGas, Sherco
Years Riding: Lost too many brain cells to remember
How you found us: Duh!

Quote:
Originally posted by fierospeeder
ya barrington rocks, thats where the guy who puts v8 engines in fiero has his bus
V-8 Archie, that guy is still in business?
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 05:50 PM

Dean,

Call me next time you're in town, and Tim and I will show you around.

Did you make it to Geneva?

If you want city access, you should check out Elburn. We're getting a new Metra this spring, and Prop values are going to skyrocket because if it.

708-912-1480
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Jerry you can count on it next time around!

This time around was a blend of family visits, job interviews, and neighborhood scouting. I didn't really have time to be duct taped and tied up in your trunk for 6 hours. You know..work before pleasure.

Soon my friend!
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 09:44 AM

Here we go..

I thought I saw some gay potential in this thread, but I held back. ....

Then you had to go mention being tied up.

Looking forward to having you around.

BTW I've been workin on my launches, I'm ready
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 12:40 PM

Crap, no matter where you find a spot, they're all corn-humpers out there.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 12:59 PM

I grew up in Mt. Prospect and have nothing but fond memories. It's got a nice location with quick access to I-90 and Rt. 53. A good mix of old and young people. Also has a lot of older ranch homes that can be had at a reasonable price.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 01:31 PM

I'm orginally from wheaton, and played with stock cars, karts, and bikes, and never had any foot loose experiencses there.

Its hard core suburban, you'll be fine.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 11:58 AM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Originally posted by ill_ag
(2) Going to high school at BHS sucked. Please please don't ever make your children go there. Everyone I meet in life looks at me sideways when they found out I went there. In HS I had a used Saab 9000 and it was the most worthless car in the parking lot. I had a 4.5 out of 4.0 GPA and I still only graduated about 20th in my class. It was totally un-diverse and taught me nothing about how to be a well-rounded adult. I constantly have to convince people that I CAN identify with them, in spite of the fact that I am from Barrington-- the facts that I was born in NY and left Barrington asap usually follows, and only then do people lay off.
So true....My father taught there for 30+ years, but he was smart and my brother and I grew up in Cary and went to CGHS. Although that was 10 years back, and it appears that Cary has turned into a Barrington-lite, as evident by the rediclous amount of money in the student parking lot. Very similar to BHS, lots of spoiled kids.

I worked in the tech department at BHS after I graduated from CGHS for a few years as well, and I made a few friends among the regualr kids there; the rich brats were a PITA though....

Crystal Lake, Lake in the Hills, and Algonquin are EXPLODING the past 5 years. It's like a mini-Schaumburg on Randall Road out here now....
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 01:58 PM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

Quote:
Originally posted by shadrach
So true....My father taught there for 30+ years, but he was smart and my brother and I grew up in Cary and went to CGHS.
What did your dad teach? I wonder if I ever had him for class. When did you graduate CGHS anyway? My best friend went there and graduated in 94.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 12:19 AM

With regard to taxes, Cook county can go up any amount. Dupage county has an increase limit of no more than 5% per year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode