Disappointment at Chicago Cycle Center - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Not too Slow Not too Fast

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Falco
Years Riding: Too many
How you found us: ApriliaForum.com

Send a message via Yahoo to RSVMillenian
Disappointment at Chicago Cycle Center

On Saturday May 22, 2004 my wife and I went to CCC to purchase some gear for both of us. Immediately at the door I was jumped by obnoxious Sales Rep who "politely" asked me can he help. I answered that we are looking for leather jackets, pants, boots and a helmet. He then said: “Forget about jackets, you need a new bike, I can get you and excellent deal on a brand new ride” and proceeded to talk and talk about how I need another bike. I replied that I am not looking for a bike and that I just bought one two months ago and would like to look at helmets and jackets. He kept pushing it and I finally said that I ride Aprilia and they do not sell Aprilia, and that I am interested in accessories only, the idiot then stands between my wife and I (his back towards my wife) and kept blabbing that I need a GSXR1000 or a Ducati 999 and he will give me a great deal on it. I was furious, however, I behaved nicely and just tried to ignore the guy, I used to sell bikes at Banzai long time ago and know the feeling, but this guy was just too much. Finally he took the hint and left us alone.
After selecting a jacket for my wife at $320.00 I wanted to look at some boots, being that CCC has the greatest selection of riding bots in the city. I asked the guy behind the counter to help me with the selection and to bring the correct size of a particular model. He looked at me and without: I am sorry, I am taking care of some else, said: “I can’t” and left, I could not believe what I was experiencing. BTW this was my second time in their shop, and probably last. I never took the name of the guy, however, he did have a cast on his right arm. I said OK and proceeded to where helmets where displayed, however, I couldn’t pick any of them because they were blocked with bikes. Somehow I manage to grab one to look at it closely when a manager told me that I must talk to the “Counter guys” before I look at any helmets. At this time I was pissed. I was ready to spend 2000 bucks on a jacket, pants, boots, helmets and a suit, however, after being treated like shit I will take my business somewhere else. As a former salesman, I was more then dissatisfied, as a customer I was insulted by the arrogance of their employees. I hope someone from CCC reads this, I will never go there again, I will advise my friends against it also. They are the sponsor of this site, I do appreciate their involvement, however, my $$$ will be spent somewhere else…

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 01:15 PM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

Sorry to hear about the experience Dan. Based on your explanations I think I know who you had the misfortune of "dealing with" on all counts. Which is why I tend to steer folks away from them at all costs.

I "think" the guy with the cast on his arm was the Service manager. Would have been nice if he explained "why" he couldn't help you...but he has his own issues.

All that aside, I'll be printing out your post and hand delivering it to the manager (as well as the parts manager) in the hopes that they understand the gravity of their mistake(s).

I don't blame you for going elsewhere. If you reconsider, let me know and I'll direct you to the people to talk to - ensuring proper service.

- Patrick

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 01:30 PM

Oh since we're bitching about these guys. Here's my $5.00.

When I bought my bike from them in august, I told them to give me a factory extended warranty. These bastards took complete advantage of me. Not only did they charge me double the price of a warranty, they sold me one that could NOT be cancellend and it was some crappy NON SUZUKI warranty that was only good in good knows where. So if I was stranded in the middle of nowhere while on a long trip it would be all out of pocket. And when I came to talk to a manager, I was told, there is nothing we can do, the sales person has already been paid and that's the end of that.

But I do have to give credit where its due, Sara at the parts/gear area is great. Actually that whole department is great. Always took the time to help.

So here is a big FU from me to the sales guys at CCC. I'll never buy another bike from there.
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 01:44 PM

Sportbike: 2002 Ducati Bayliss 998S
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: Search

Second try.

That place has so many people and is so busy, I can see how people can get bad service. Especially on a Sat. Certainly if I was in you position, I would have wanted to have been treated better.

I have been there twice in the last three weeks and got excellent service. One of the guys on the board named Dan Orteaga works there. The first time I was in he helped a friend of mine for almost an hour and took the time to go over accessory after accessory all for an XR50.

The second time I came in I was with my wife and her friend. They were both looking at helmets. He took the time to make sure they had the proper fit and did everything he could to ensure they were taken care of.

I live in Joliet and have no problem driving the extra distance for the service I get there.

If you ever feel like giving them another chance, talk to Dan O. over there.

Tim
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 01:44 PM

FYI aptyp, you can take your bike anywhere for warranty work. As long as you have your info, all covered repairs will be paid directly by CCC (who gets reimbursed by the warranty Co after the fact). Seen it happen plenty of times. Again, just an FYI.

Also (and you're entitled to your opinion regardless), if you didn't think you were getting a fair deal, why did you sign the paperwork and take delivery of the bike in the first place? That doesn't make sense to me.

<---- Patrick

post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Underdog, If I change my mind I will certainly let you know...I also appreciate you taking time and bringing this to their attention.

Dan

Dejan
CCS very very Amateur #144
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 01:50 PM

My pleasure Dan. After just meeting you last week I can't lose my Player's Club connection over something like this!

<---- Patrick

post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 01:51 PM

Sportbike: Squat
Years Riding: More then one hands worth.
How you found us: Your Mother

Send a message via AIM to MM Racing
Was this the gay warranty they sell you at the end when you are working out the financing on the bike, the one where they get you to buy the tire warranty and all the other coverage shit if insurance doesn't cover your bike? I am curious. I haven't called again to cancel my warranty yet, but I have a feeling that it is the one you are talking about.

I bought my bike from Stu because I knew him and was a friend at a past employer and he is a good guy. The rest of CCC with the expception of Stu and UnderDog on here seem shady as hell. If I am unable ot cancel the warranty I will be reporting them to the Better Business Bureau.

My $.02

Ian

Ian
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Patrick this one is for you:

http://www.playerschicago.com/

Dejan
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
Originally posted by RSVMillenian
Patrick this one is for you:

http://www.playerschicago.com/

mmmmm....

Chris
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 02:15 PM
Grammaton Cleric

Sportbike: 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
Years Riding: Since 07-01-2001
How you found us: Google, I believe

Send a message via AIM to MrBusa Send a message via Yahoo to MrBusa
A little off topic...

Despite DGY's faults. I have to say that whenever I have needed assistance with parts and/or their accessories, they have been top notch.

-- Matthew --

"I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in the Universe" - Jango Fett
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 02:29 PM

I would never buy a bike from this place. I called earlier in the year to get a price on a new 750. The price was good, but then they told my a warranty was going to cost $750. WTF, are you joking around. Needless to say, I did nto buy the bike from there, but I bought the bike from Neilson's and got the bike for the same price and only paid $425 for the SUZUKI warranty.
CCC sucks!!!
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 02:32 PM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

OK....am I missing something. everybody and this frign warranty is just nuts. Doesn't everyone just end up buying a pipe and a power commander right away anyway and void the warranty anyway. I just don't know many people that care about it. Plus don't they give you a factory warranty anyway.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
whats with all the extra warrantees? fuck that.

Chris
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vcook

shew.....I thought I was the only one. I can't remember a season I've not done something to the bike that would void the warranty.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 02:40 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

Quote:
Originally posted by Vcook
I agree

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 02:46 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
mine has a extra warrenty.. but i didn't buy that.. i bought the bike.. and it just happened to be the OE owner bought one.. but the bike has a pipe and gear, so i'm sure if something breaks they are gonna blame it on that anyways...

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 03:04 PM

The only way I have found to have a painless buying experience without any surprises is to pay cash and not buy any warranties. I bought my VFR from Des Plaines Honda and no problems at all. They even gave me a nice discount on the saddle bags.

If you have to finance, I recommend getting it through a credit union or personal bank loan so you don't have to play the dealership financing game. Dealers and more specifically sales men, make big money commissions by putting people in crappy financing agreements and warranties.

I have received great service and buying experiences at both Des Plaines Honda and Des Plaines Yamaha/Kawi/Suzuki. Jeff at Des Plaines Honda is the nicest owner i've ever met.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MM Racing
Was this the gay warranty they sell you at the end when you are working out the financing on the bike, the one where they get you to buy the tire warranty and all the other coverage shit if insurance doesn't cover your bike? I am curious. I haven't called again to cancel my warranty yet, but I have a feeling that it is the one you are talking about.

I bought my bike from Stu because I knew him and was a friend at a past employer and he is a good guy. The rest of CCC with the expception of Stu and UnderDog on here seem shady as hell. If I am unable ot cancel the warranty I will be reporting them to the Better Business Bureau.

My $.02

Ian
Oh nono, I said no thank you to that garbage right away,

Quote:
Originally posted by Underdog
FYI aptyp, you can take your bike anywhere for warranty work. As long as you have your info, all covered repairs will be paid directly by CCC (who gets reimbursed by the warranty Co after the fact). Seen it happen plenty of times. Again, just an FYI.

Also (and you're entitled to your opinion regardless), if you didn't think you were getting a fair deal, why did you sign the paperwork and take delivery of the bike in the first place? That doesn't make sense to me.
I ASKED FOR THE SUZUKI WARRANTY SO DON'T TELL ME THAT IT'S FRIGGIN OK FOR THESE JAGGOFS TO GIVE ME SOME WARRANTY THAT THEY WILL FRIGGIN REIMBURSE. BONZAI HAS BEEN OUT OF BUSINESS 5 TIMES ALREADY AND GOOD LUCK TRYING TO GET ANY WARRANTY WORK OUT OF THEM.

I GOT A PIECE OF PAPER IN FRONT OF ME THAT SAID EXTENDED WARRANTY AND I SIGNED IT. I've never bought a new bike before and didn't know what the paper is supposed to look like. So don't tell me that we should just hold hands and be all friendly. I signed it because I thought they could be trusted but thanks to them a very valueable lesson was learned. I will not buy another bike from that place.

Last edited by aptyp; 05-24-2004 at 03:09 PM.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aptyp

I GOT A PIECE OF PAPER IN FRONT OF ME THAT SAID EXTENDED WARRANTY AND I SIGNED IT. I've never bought a new bike before and didn't know what the paper is supposed to look like. So don't tell me that we should just hold hands and be all friendly. I signed it because I thought they could be trusted but thanks to them a very valueable lesson was learned. I will not buy another bike from that place.
well..........that's the game. It sucks they got one by ya, but you really should read and understand what your signing.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 03:29 PM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Quote:
I GOT A PIECE OF PAPER IN FRONT OF ME THAT SAID EXTENDED WARRANTY AND I SIGNED IT.
Well, it's pretty clear you are ticked off! Let's be clear though that the above sentence pretty much explains the deal.

My advice? ALWAYS take the time you need to understand what you are signing and be fully prepared to cancel the deal if there's something you don't agree with.

Dave
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 03:32 PM

Listen, I ask for a suzuki warranty. They put a paper in front of me that has all the right text, all the right terms everything looks good. Even has a suzuki image on top of the page, along with honda, yami, etc. So I figure, ok, it's a form to get the warranty going. Except that when I change my mind about the 750 that it cost me, I call the financing company and try to cancel it. they tell me they don't have a record of me having this warranty.

I go back to ccc to find out what the hell is going on and they are just like "well we can't do anything its not refundable everyone got paid and that's the end of that"!
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 03:36 PM

In the last year and a half I've bought and sold 6 bikes. I'm NOT a one time buyer. They lost a ton of business from me personally, and now all my friends and anyone else that is willing to listen to my bitching knows about what happened.

Sales relationships are built on trust, not on making a quick buck. The sales manager should have known better than to try to screw someone on something this important.

You do something nice for someone and they may tell 5 people but you screw someone and they will tell everyone they know.
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Listen, I ask for a suzuki warranty. They put a paper in front of me that has all the right text, all the right terms everything looks good. Even has a suzuki image on top of the page, along with honda, yami, etc. So I figure, ok, it's a form to get the warranty going. Except that when I change my mind about the 750 that it cost me, I call the financing company and try to cancel it. they tell me they don't have a record of me having this warranty.

I go back to ccc to find out what the hell is going on and they are just like "well we can't do anything its not refundable everyone got paid and that's the end of that"!

we hear ya already , it sucks to get taken. When you went back you should have told them you wanted out of the deal all together if it was in the alotted time. There is always that option. We're not saying the didn't pull one over on you, we're only telling you what your options were so hopefully next time you'll know.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 03:38 PM

Whoa...

All I was saying is that the warranty you agreed to WILL cover you - regardless of location. More often than not those warranties are better because they aren't manufacturer dependent. For instance, Suzuki warranties (for the most part) can only be honored at a Suzuki dealer.

The one you bought allows you to go to any shop licensed by the big four to do your repairs. If the particular shop isn't in the Warranty Network, then standard procedure is to call the shop you bought it from (CCC in this case) and that shop pays retail for all the covered service work & labor no questions asked.

Finally, since the warranty company is a 3rd party - it really doesn't matter what happens to the shop in question. But don't take my word for it - I'm just some jagoff.

<---- Patrick

post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 03:47 PM

Right right, it will cover me. It's like that idiot at bonzai/libertyville cycle center this weekend. I come in looking for irridium spark plugs, give him a part number and he brings me 4 plugs which will work in my bike, excep that I didn't ASK for them. I TOLD him to get me irridium plugs, and although platinum will work it's not what I wanted. Stop reading now if you're getting my drift.

But if you're still reading this and not understanding what I'm talking about let me break it down for you. I'm buying an extended warranty on a motorcycle. Odds are something will break right away or maybe the bike will be totaled or maybe I'll get rid of it before factory warranty runs out, or maybe it will simply not ever break. But I'm buying the warranty to make myself feel better and more secure about the purchanse. I'm paying more than a factory warranty is worth, approximately twice as much. SO FOR SHITS SAKE GIVE ME A FRIGGIN FACTORY WARRANTY SINCE I'M ASKING FOR IT BY NAME.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 03:53 PM

bah... I'm done with this thread. Underdog, you're just really getting me ticked off.

I understand that ccc is a sponsor here and I appreciate CLSB and will stop this conversation for their sake, but people need to know about how this nonsense happens.

Parts department is great at CCC, biggest selection I've seen anywhere and I bought all my gear there and have no regrets because of the way the staff took care of me. But the actual bike sales department lost me as a customer.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 03:54 PM
Giddy Up

Sportbike: 2002 ZX7R
Years Riding: 8 Years
How you found us: google

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy
OK....am I missing something. everybody and this frign warranty is just nuts. Doesn't everyone just end up buying a pipe and a power commander right away anyway and void the warranty anyway. I just don't know many people that care about it. Plus don't they give you a factory warranty anyway.
Exactly!!! Most products come with a manufacturers warranty (phones, heart rate monitors, shoes, etc.). I've never bought an extended warranty b/c I feel if a company can't warranty itself properly, why would a a 3rd party (or the same darn company manufacturing the product for that matter ). It's a numbers game (like insurance)....the idea is that the more people you sign up for extended warranties will hopefully outweigh the costs of paying $$$ to cover them. Best Buy is one of the worst places that does this. I tell them every time "Doesn't it come with a manufacturer's warranty?" and they look at me like I've offended them. And trust me, the service or repairs you get when you bring something back for warranty work is never as easy/friendly as when it's first suggested. And finally, I've never understood paying taxes on extended warranty offers.

Hans

PS Crazy...and you're definitely right about the pipe/commander thing. Heck, most of the bikes out there have voided their warranty and are probably also violating city and/or state environmental standards.
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 03:57 PM

I get what you're trying to say. Some like warranties, some don't. Some want a factory warranty - some just want a warranty. That's what makes the world go 'round. Sorry you're pissed.

Edit: Sorry I ticked you off man. That wasn't my intention. All I wanted to do was let you know that you don't own a worthless piece of paper. What you have is a factory supported warranty that will get your bike fixed if you need it. Just like they promised you.

That's all.

<---- Patrick

Last edited by Underdog; 05-24-2004 at 04:01 PM.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Whoa,
When I started this tread I didn't want to start a war. Warranties or no warranties it is the buyer's decision. Personaly I have never bought extended warranty on a motorcycle, however, I bought one for the car. It is my understanding that all extended warraties are third party. Now they may have an agrement with the manufacturers or they may not, that is between them.
Always read before you sign any documents, then read again and then sign.

If anyone was offended by this tread please forgive me, it was not my attention at all.

Dan

Dejan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode