US GP F1 Results... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
SICK OF IT ALL

Sportbike: missing my RC51
Years Riding: 9+
How you found us: drove by Strats one night & stopped in

US GP F1 Results...

2004 United States Grand Prix

Pos No Driver Team Laps Time/Retired Grid Points

1 1 Michael Schumacher Ferrari 73 1:40:29.914 2 10

2 2 Rubens Barrichello Ferrari 73 +2.9 secs 1 8

3 10 Takuma Sato BAR-Honda 73 +22.0 secs 3 6

4 7 Jarno Trulli Renault 73 +34.5 secs 20 5

5 17 Olivier Panis Toyota 73 +37.5 secs 8 4

6 6 Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes 72 +1 Lap 7 3

7 5 David Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes 72 +1 Lap 12 2

8 21 Zsolt Baumgartner Minardi-Cosworth 70 +3 Lap 19 1

9 11 Giancarlo Fisichella Sauber-Petronas 65 +8 Lap 14

Ret 14 Mark Webber Jaguar-Cosworth 60 Engine 10

DSQ 3 Juan Pablo Montoya Williams-BMW 57 +16 Lap 5

Ret 18 Nick Heidfeld Jordan-Ford 40 Engine 16

Ret 9 Jenson Button BAR-Honda 26 Gearbox 4

Ret 16 Cristiano da Matta Toyota 17 Gearbox 11

Ret 4 Ralf Schumacher Williams-BMW 9 Accident 6

Ret 8 Fernando Alonso Renault 8 Accident 9

Ret 15 Christian Klien Jaguar-Cosworth 0 Accident 13

Ret 12 Felipe Massa Sauber-Petronas 0 Accident 15

Ret 19 Giorgio Pantano Jordan-Ford 0 Accident 17

Ret 20 Gianmaria Bruni Minardi-Cosworth 0 Accident 18

Fastest Lap: Rubens Barrichello 1:10.399

Official Result

---------------------------------------------
This was a great race but sometimes scary. Both R. Shumacher and F. Alonso had big accidents on the front straight. Ralf was in is car for a long time and was taken away by ambulace. Results given later said that he suffered a bruised back. Alonso got out of his car immediately and was ok from his accident. All in all a great weekend. Shumi won, followed by Ruebens and Tacuma Sato got his first podium ever.

Wayne

Standing together
Side by side
Staying true to what’s inside
United as one, we fight

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 07:52 PM
Slow Poke

Sportbike: BMW Dakar
Years Riding: since '00
How you found us: member

go zsolt!

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are the legislators."

www.allenskillicorn.com

Follow my views on Life (snarkiness), Liberty (politics), and Pursuit of Happiness (motorsports) on twitter. http://twitter.com/allenskillicorn
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
SICK OF IT ALL

Quote:
Originally posted by loudes13
go zsolt!
when there is only 8 at the end of the race all you gotta do is cross the line to get a point

Wayne

Standing together
Side by side
United as one, we fight

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 08:00 PM
rider for life

Sportbike: CBR1100XX
Years Riding: First let the clutch out in 1972
How you found us: no- you found me

I went to this one also- what a cool event! I'll never forget the incredible shreik of those 19,000 rpm V10 motors, and the sound of them going up and down the gears almost instantly. This was my first Formula 1 race, and it definitely enjoys a different feel than the CART races I've gone to: as you'd expect, it has a much more "international" flavor. We breathed Officially Licensed F1 air for two days.

Formula 1 is the top motorsports racing series on the planet- biggest budgets all around guarantee a neat show, even if one team dominates as is the case right now, and it must be experienced in all senses in person to be appreciated. TV's long lenses flatten out/distort the perspective and sense of speed you see, feel, and hear in person. Again, those sounds!

Sure wish we could have done the pit lane walkaround Thursday night, I'm sure it was totally worth it.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 08:15 PM

I defenitely need to get tickets next year!

The "local" favorites (they have the most emplyees and manufacturing in the US) Honda nd Toyota both put o na good performance. They are the 2 best funded programs in the paddock. I'm looking to see an epic battle start up soon. I think those 2 teams may be the future of F1. Make no mistake Toyota means business. Thye are entering Craftsman truck, they are hovering at #3 in US sales with Daimler-Chyrsler, are one of the most profitable, less conservative and more marketing driven than Honda.

My Prediction: in 2-3 seasons, there's going to be a significant rule change, Toyota and Honda capitalize and jump ahead of Ferrari. Schumacher goes to Honda or Toyota ot finish out his career, much the way Rossi has switched camps.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 10:40 PM
Let the good times roll

Sportbike: 2005 HD Road King
Years Riding: 30+ years
How you found us: From another web forum

I hear that this is the final race/year of the contract Tony George has with F1. The question is will they (F1) renew...does anybody know for sure?

Shiny side up, rubber side down.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 10:51 AM
Not too Slow Not too Fast

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Falco
Years Riding: Too many
How you found us: ApriliaForum.com

Send a message via Yahoo to RSVMillenian
It is possible that F1 willnot renew the contract with Indy, it is also possible that they could move the Grand Prix to another location within the U.S.A. This track is to dangerous, they are approaching the last turn at 220mph and that is where Ralph hit the concrete wall. I was at Turn 1 where all other action happened. Alonso lost his rear right tire and hit the wal at 200mph.
If you have never seen a F1 race you must go and get tickets close to Turn 1. It is amazing that they start braking pass the 50 feet marker???

In regards to Toyota, they do have resources to be great team. They are taking over engineers, mechanics and now drivers from other "big" teams. They hired Renault chief engineer, now they have Ralph Shumacher as well, however, they do not have the spirit and experience Honda has. Honda was the team to beat in teh 80s and early 90s.

Dan

Dejan
CCS very very Amateur #144
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 12:02 PM

This too was my first F1 race and I must say it was quite an adventure. I sat in H at the first turn and the sound of those cars was astounding. I find it amazing how they can go from 220 mph and start braking 50-100 feet out and make a 90 degree turn.

I was impressed with Barrichello's lap record set in qualifying but disappointed that he did not give Schumacher a run for his money...I guess Ferrari is still holding those reins.

There was controversy as to why it took over 3 minutes to get to R. Schumacher's car and why Montoya wasn't black flagged until over 50 laps into the race. Have we heard yet?

An experience that must be had by all who enjoy the sport.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 12:12 PM

Sportbike: '09 Yamaha R15, '07 BWM X-Challenge, '05 SV650, (2) '00 VFR, '84 RZ350
Years Riding: 14
How you found us: Speedzilla

I was at turns 7-10 on the infield. Twas another great year. I like the fact this race was earlier in the year so the championship hasn't been clinched yet.

"and yes, I will be serving strawberry shortcake right out of my bikini bottoms. just come on by with a spoon and scoop it out of my ass crack." ill_ag

"Why would I beat someone with a pillow when all I really want is dirty coochy?" ill_ag
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 12:39 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
i'm shocked that Ferrari won..... again....

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiecker
I was at turns 7-10 on the infield. Twas another great year. I like the fact this race was earlier in the year so the championship hasn't been clinched yet.
Not clinched yet? Do you still believe that Michael is going to loose. Although points system sucks, Michael won 8 races and it is only few points ahead of Barichelo to be exact only 18 poiunts ahead.

Dan
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 02:29 PM

Sportbike: '09 Yamaha R15, '07 BWM X-Challenge, '05 SV650, (2) '00 VFR, '84 RZ350
Years Riding: 14
How you found us: Speedzilla

The series is far from over.

Do you remember when Micheal broke his leg?

How about Senna?

I would not wish this upon anyone, but this is racing afterall.

"and yes, I will be serving strawberry shortcake right out of my bikini bottoms. just come on by with a spoon and scoop it out of my ass crack." ill_ag

"Why would I beat someone with a pillow when all I really want is dirty coochy?" ill_ag
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 02:47 PM
rider for life

Sportbike: CBR1100XX
Years Riding: First let the clutch out in 1972
How you found us: no- you found me

Quote:
Originally posted by Hotwheels
I hear that this is the final race/year of the contract Tony George has with F1. The question is will they (F1) renew...does anybody know for sure?
Yes- it was announced at the track that a two year option/extension was taken, so USGP at Indy goes on for now.

The Speedway puts on a pretty good show overall, and crowd control/policing was very cool and "restrained" in my opinion. Very friendly and helpfull. I've seen much worse authority and heavy handed attitude at Road America and Daytona for sure.

My only complaint from a spectator's point of view was the WAY TOO LOUD MUSIC blaring from the loudspeakers before the race. AC/DC and Mellancamp at huge volume didn't add at all to the experience, it was annoying and detracted. Would have rather had quiet with some occasioanl relevant commentary...
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hotwheels
I hope they move it to Barber. Indy has is famous and has the novelty of a long straight, but pure roadcourses that are technical like Barber offer better pure racing... and Barber is a much safer track than Indy.

Besides.. screw Tony George. Him and Roger Penske have together nearly destroyed open wheel racing in the US with the IRL, CART fiasco. Now both series suck ass!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 03:35 PM
Slow Poke

Sportbike: BMW Dakar
Years Riding: since '00
How you found us: member

Indy has the perfect facility. Barber can't hold 250k peeps. Two USGP's, that's the ticket.

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are the legislators."

www.allenskillicorn.com

Follow my views on Life (snarkiness), Liberty (politics), and Pursuit of Happiness (motorsports) on twitter. http://twitter.com/allenskillicorn
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 04:09 PM

Indy had 250K spectators all together for the weekend, on Sunday there were only 120K+, Barber is not FIA certified track.

for more details check www.f1.com

Dejan
CCS very very Amateur #144
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
SICK OF IT ALL

To answer some of the questions posed:

Indy will be on the circuit for a while. Indy is the most famous world recognized race track. There is a possiblity to get another USGP and put it back in Arizona or California.

M. Schumacher will not race for any other team but R. Schumacher is going to Toyota next year and possibly M. Webber who is driving for Jaguar will take his place at Williams.

Montoya was black flagged because he broke FIA rules by not being in the spare care early enough before the race began. Rules are rules and if you don't follow FIA will cut you down.

Barber is probably not wide enough for passing but I know they have looked at that circuit before.

Wayne

Standing together
Side by side
United as one, we fight

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 08:17 PM
The Violator

Sportbike: A little bit of everything.
Years Riding: Not nearly enough!
How you found us: On a ride in Colorado

I had a blast!! Modern F1 cars are truley awe inspiring in every possible sense. I love to watch on Speed, but you guys are right, you gotta see 'em live!

What I wouldn't give to spend a day or two in the cockpit of one at the right track...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode