Help with fuses - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Help with fuses

Apprently when you're the computer guy/programmer at the office, that also makes you the general repair man. In any even t a lady brought in her dvd player which no longer powers up. I notice that right where the power source comes in to the motherboard, there's a removable fuse. In pulling it out, the fuse looks ok (it's a cylinder with the fuse running through some glass tubing. So if I remove the fuse and test where the fuse was, the light comes on, so a circuit is completing. When I put the fuse back in, the circuit tester stays off. Is this normal or would it indicate that the fuse is bad? I've never really done this before so this is all learning for me and a good way to kill some time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Not a regular at SOW!

Sportbike: Honda CBR600 F4I
Years Riding: been riding since 90
How you found us: surfing the web

Send a message via AIM to crash11
Re: Help with fuses

Quote:
Originally posted by BIGGY
Apprently when you're the computer guy/programmer at the office, that also makes you the general repair man. In any even t a lady brought in her dvd player which no longer powers up. I notice that right where the power source comes in to the motherboard, there's a removable fuse. In pulling it out, the fuse looks ok (it's a cylinder with the fuse running through some glass tubing. So if I remove the fuse and test where the fuse was, the light comes on, so a circuit is completing. When I put the fuse back in, the circuit tester stays off. Is this normal or would it indicate that the fuse is bad? I've never really done this before so this is all learning for me and a good way to kill some time.
Is the filament within the tube broken or is it still intact? If the filament is broke replace fuse. Infact replace the fuse anyways. Beyond that buy a new dvd player their cheap nowadays.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 04:24 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
look at the fuse.. you should see a wire inside it.. if its complete... or you could also throw an OHM meter on the fuse and see what it says.. good or bad...

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

The filament looks ok. I've never seen a fuse like this one before, but I think I've dealt with them enough to know a blown fuse from one that's not. Oh well, I'll tell her to try a new one anyway...they should be cheap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode