Wonderfull write-up in the Sun Times.... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Wonderfull write-up in the Sun Times....

Lets just say all sportbikes got lumped together on this..

http://www.suntimes.com/output/other...dt-bald02.html

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 09:21 PM
Speed Force

Sportbike: 2014 Hayabusa
Years Riding: started at age 19
How you found us: another website

Send a message via AIM to chuckie Send a message via Yahoo to chuckie
did you read the part where it says it takes a motorcycle longer to stop than a car? where the hell did this guy get his education heh

<--- I'm Chuckie...Wanna Plaaaay???

2k7 honda crv
post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 09:23 PM

Sportbike: CBR1100XX
Years Riding: coming up to a decade
How you found us: crashed this party!!!

Send a message via AIM to Sk8boardIL
Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
did you read the part where it says it takes a motorcycle longer to stop than a car? where the hell did this guy get his education heh
go easy on her - it's a woman writing the article
post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 09:24 PM
Speed Force

still an idiot. she needs to do her homework before stating such crap. if she know about CLSB she would know all riders arn't squids

2k7 honda crv
post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 09:36 PM
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
I'm freakin speachless........

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 09:36 PM
Work In Progress...

Sportbike: 2005 Harley Night Train
Years Riding: I dunno ?
How you found us: Been around a couple years

Send a message via MSN to BuzByU
Quote:

Well I happen to agree with her about the car / motorcycle stop thing. I dont see a bike stopping faster than a car, maybe I am wrong, topping off the loosing control thing at those speeds. To bad all of the T-Shirt, Flip-Flop, Glasses on their foreheads, Shorts wearing morons give a great club like CLSB a " bad name" ... Peeps out there dont know the difference, so I see it a our obligation to educate them that all bikers are not the same by respecting the Cage and their space and by driving responsibily by not being lane splitting, cuttin off, wheelie in their lane goof balls. Just my .02

2005 Harley Night Train
2001 Golf GTI VR6 - Super Charged-Intercooler, Nitrous = 305 HP... stage 4 to come soon! .. can you say 400? HP? in a Go Kart!
1999 Ford SVT Lightning - Super Charged @ 600 ponies

Yea I am compensating..

Gregg

Last edited by BuzByU; 07-05-2004 at 09:40 PM.
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 09:41 PM
Speed Force

if going the same speed, a bike can stop in about half the distance it takes a car to stop due to weight. its all a matter of physics

2k7 honda crv
post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 09:45 PM
Work In Progress...

Quote:
if going the same speed, a bike can stop in about half the distance it takes a car to stop due to weight. its all a matter of physics

I dont agree, but I am no physics major. are U ? All I am saying is that I see her point... she has a valid points besides the braking thing...

2005 Harley Night Train
2001 Golf GTI VR6 - Super Charged-Intercooler, Nitrous = 305 HP... stage 4 to come soon! .. can you say 400? HP? in a Go Kart!

Yea I am compensating..

Gregg
post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 09:45 PM
Tom

Sportbike: 2001 R6
Years Riding: Since 2001
How you found us: old member of sbn

Quote:
Nothing between a girl's butterfly tattoo and concrete pavement.

post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 09:48 PM
Who's faster Lupi

Sportbike: 2004 ZX10R & 2005 CRF50
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: SBN

no and if something happens I'm not gona feel sorry. Its a choice we all make. I choose gear.

NESBA #456 Intermediate
Always 1 step ahead of Lupi. 1:24:7 BHF
And 1 step behind Kimmy

"SoB gets to spend yet ANOTHER season faster than me." -LUPI-
post #11 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 09:52 PM
Work In Progress...

Quote:
Originally posted by Champ91
no and if something happens I'm not gona feel sorry. Its a choice we all make. I choose gear.

Totally Agree

2005 Harley Night Train

Yea I am compensating..

Gregg
post #12 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 09:57 PM
Who's faster Lupi

Sportbike: 2004 ZX10R & 2005 CRF50
Years Riding: 20

Ok in reading the article I agree with her. As auto drivers we need to look out for motorcyclests (sp) Well duh weather they are the nitwits she describes or a good rider properly geard up and obeying all the traffic laws, we should all look out for riders. Due to the lack of paying attention, talking on the cell phone, yelling at the kids, tuning the radio singing to your favorite some, or posing for the chickie in the car next to ya. Who doesn't have time to look out. Its a 2 way street and this lady needs to realize the cars are as much at fault as the riders.

NESBA #456 Intermediate
Always 1 step ahead of Lupi. 1:24:7 BHF
And 1 step behind Kimmy

"SoB gets to spend yet ANOTHER season faster than me." -LUPI-
post #13 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 09:59 PM
Speed Force

Quote:
Originally posted by BuzByU
I dont agree, but I am no physics major. are U ? All I am saying is that I see her point... she has a valid points besides the braking thing...
very valid, but the way the article is wrote up it is saying all motorcycle riders are like this when i would guess the majority is not. hell if it wern't for my gear i would be dead right now. her choice of words were poorly choosen i think

and no i'm no physics major and i don't wanna argue the point but a motorcycle can stop faster than a car, just like a car can stop faster than a truck and a truck a train etc the heavier you are the longer it will take to stop the momentum.

2k7 honda crv
post #14 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 10:12 PM
Tom

Sportbike: 2001 R6
Years Riding: Since 2001
How you found us: old member of sbn

http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/to...p?TOPIC_ID=219

"If you'll look at any road test of a current production motorcycle you'll see that stopping distances from 60 mph are typically 120 - 140 feet. Cages are frequently in the 150 - 180 foot range."

Taken from above link.
post #15 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 10:15 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5

Send a message via AIM to Grover
My response, sent in a couple minutes ago:

Dear Editor:

Today I read the other views editorial by Ms. Baldacci found here. http://www.suntimes.com/output/other...dt-bald02.html

While it does bring some valid points (no safety gear, excessive speed), it is full of inaccuracies, right from the first point (hear them before you see them). The Hurtt study, the basis for motorcycle accidents, shows that 40% of all car to motorcycle accidents are caused by a CAR making a left hand turn in FRONT of a motorcycle. The car driver gives the classic 'couldn't see them' line and gets a failure to yield. Motorcyclist gets: destroyed vehicle and a trip in the ambulance (if he's lucky, sometimes it's a hearse).

Clearly not looking out for themselves or passengers? How many readers (or writers) travel at half of these 'insane' speeds while flipping through radio stations, drinking coffee, searching for CDs, or the ever popular cell phone search/calling? THEY are clearly not looking out for themselves or their passengers (who are often their children). Check out your next traffic jam at some non rush hour time, odds are it's caused by a rear end collision from an unattentive car driver. The motorcyclist is focused on the road, cars in front of them, potholes, debris that most car drivers ignore.

Bikes take longer to stop than a car? I would LOVE to see where she got this fact. The average sportbike, from 60 mile per hour can stop in 125 feet in 'ideal' conditions (per Cycle World magazine). What is the average car stopping distance? Closer to 180 feet, NOT counting 'thinking' distance of 60 feet, that is assuming both the motorcyclist and the car driver are paying attention to the road. Source: http://www.hintsandthings.com/garage/stopmph.htm

One thing I do agree with her on is that car drivers MUST start looking for ALL motorcylists. Even with full protective leathers and helmet, nothing will prevent serious harm or death if a car hits a biker (or pedestrian) at 30 or 40 miles per hour. However, most car drivers can rest assured that they will not be punished too harshly if they kill a biker, even if they have repeated moving violations (just ask Bill Janklow from South Dakota). Hopefully, the AMA's Justice for All campaign will result in tougher penalties for those who kill motorcyclists.

It is obvious that I spent more time compiling information to write this email than Ms. Baldacci did to write her published article (all of about 15 minutes.) I would be interested to read what others say about her article.

Very Sincerely,
Chris Teal
avid sportbike and motorcycle enthusiast
Hainseville, IL

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #16 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 10:19 PM
Speed Force

very nicely written

Quote:
Originally posted by Grover
My response, sent in a couple minutes ago:

Dear Editor:

Today I read the other views editorial by Ms. Baldacci found here. http://www.suntimes.com/output/other...dt-bald02.html

While it does bring some valid points (no safety gear, excessive speed), it is full of inaccuracies, right from the first point (hear them before you see them). The Hurtt study, the basis for motorcycle accidents, shows that 40% of all car to motorcycle accidents are caused by a CAR making a left hand turn in FRONT of a motorcycle. The car driver gives the classic 'couldn't see them' line and gets a failure to yield. Motorcyclist gets: destroyed vehicle and a trip in the ambulance (if he's lucky, sometimes it's a hearse).

Clearly not looking out for themselves or passengers? How many readers (or writers) travel at half of these 'insane' speeds while flipping through radio stations, drinking coffee, searching for CDs, or the ever popular cell phone search/calling? THEY are clearly not looking out for themselves or their passengers (who are often their children). Check out your next traffic jam at some non rush hour time, odds are it's caused by a rear end collision from an unattentive car driver. The motorcyclist is focused on the road, cars in front of them, potholes, debris that most car drivers ignore.

Bikes take longer to stop than a car? I would LOVE to see where she got this fact. The average sportbike, from 60 mile per hour can stop in 125 feet in 'ideal' conditions (per Cycle World magazine). What is the average car stopping distance? Closer to 180 feet, NOT counting 'thinking' distance of 60 feet, that is assuming both the motorcyclist and the car driver are paying attention to the road. Source: http://www.hintsandthings.com/garage/stopmph.htm

One thing I do agree with her on is that car drivers MUST start looking for ALL motorcylists. Even with full protective leathers and helmet, nothing will prevent serious harm or death if a car hits a biker (or pedestrian) at 30 or 40 miles per hour. However, most car drivers can rest assured that they will not be punished too harshly if they kill a biker, even if they have repeated moving violations (just ask Bill Janklow from South Dakota). Hopefully, the AMA's Justice for All campaign will result in tougher penalties for those who kill motorcyclists.

It is obvious that I spent more time compiling information to write this email than Ms. Baldacci did to write her published article (all of about 15 minutes.) I would be interested to read what others say about her article.

Very Sincerely,
Chris Teal
avid sportbike and motorcycle enthusiast
Hainseville, IL

2k7 honda crv
post #17 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 10:29 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Quote:
very nicely written
Yeah, I just wish I spelt Hainesville correctly.

-Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #18 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BuzByU
Well I happen to agree with her about the car / motorcycle stop thing. I dont see a bike stopping faster than a car, maybe I am wrong, topping off the loosing control thing at those speeds.
If I remember correctly, back in '97 a YZF600R could stopped in 105 feet from 60. That matches the best high performance cars in the world. Keep in mind also, the fast a bike goes, the advantage in stopping increases due to wind drag haveing a greater effect on the bike. I imagine today, most sportbikes with a skilled rider on clean dry pavemtn can stop in less than 100 feet... but the car does have an advantage if the pavement is slippery.

Bikes also have the disadvantage of not being able to manauver as easily while brakinng compared ot a sportscar. Bieks actually have a slower turn in because they must physically lean over.... however, they make up for this disadvantage by trail braking (partial braking while leaning into a turn)
post #19 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 10:40 PM

...As for the article... I'm glad I never had he writting class in school (she's a teacher). It' snot very well wriottne, and just sounds like a loosely organized rant.

There's almost no objective fact other than the descriptions of their clothing.

I must agree, I've seen these riders before and they annoy me too, but she's making broad generalizations. I give her a C- on this assignment (she at least spelled everything correctly).
post #20 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 10:41 PM
Work In Progress...

Quote:
Originally posted by cherrypicker
I imagine today, most sportbikes with a skilled rider on clean dry pavemtn can stop in less than 100 feet...
I guess my thought is " skilled " rider...... I cant say that a flip flop wearing, T-Shirt Bearing, eye glasses on his forehead, Shorts loving rider ....can be considered skilled. ??? But if the numbers say different , I stand humbly corrected.

2005 Harley Night Train

Yea I am compensating..

Gregg
post #21 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Cuddlie as a koala

Quote:
Originally posted by cherrypicker
If I remember correctly, back in '97 a YZF600R could stopped in 105 feet from 60.

And some of the higher end superbike platforms (YZF750R/SP, RC45, GSXR750, ZX7RR) can stop even faster. Hell a 04 Vette takes 123ft to stop from 60. (Z06 113)

post #22 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 11:14 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

That article was pathetic.
post #23 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 11:35 PM
Grammaton Cleric

Sportbike: 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
Years Riding: Since 07-01-2001
How you found us: Google, I believe

Send a message via AIM to MrBusa Send a message via Yahoo to MrBusa
What a piece of crap. I have read third grader web blogs that were more articulate than that article.

-- Matthew --

"I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in the Universe" - Jango Fett
post #24 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 11:42 PM

Almost every single time I go riding, I wear my leathers, boots, gloves, and helmet. The generalizations, and admitting that she generalized, was absolutely irritating. That and her "facts."
post #25 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 11:46 PM

very well written, grover...after reading her pathetic attempt of preaching bullshit, i wanted to do the same thing...non-motorcyclists cannot write articles like this...they have no idea how wonderful a hobby/sport/freedom it is...and, it shows how most people reflect on the negative aspects of motorcycling...when's the last time you read an editorial, praising sportbikes, adding in all the benifits of owning one...it's BS!!!
post #26 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 11:52 PM
" It Time To Ride "

Sportbike: Suzuki GSX-R750
Years Riding: 20+
How you found us: Long search for motorcycle clubs online

Send a message via MSN to Justmax
my thoughts

Well reading the article sorry work for a teacher. She put in way all motocyclists do the same thing. She call herself a teacher. She should know better to do better reseach then that. She may have almost hit biker and it scare the crap out her. So she mad at motorcycles.

US MARINE CORP
"Semper Fi''

post #27 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Cuddlie as a koala

Although Grover, you were far nicer about it than I was.D

post #28 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by YZFRob
And some of the higher end superbike platforms (YZF750R/SP, RC45, GSXR750, ZX7RR) can stop even faster. Hell a 04 Vette takes 123ft to stop from 60. (Z06 113)
You probably need to add some buffer for real-world situations. Any idiot in a car with decent technology (ABS, EBD etc) can get optimum braking & control by simply hitting the brake pedal. To reach the bike's potential, the rider must be both able and willing to push the bike to the limit, let's say within 1% brake power of locking up both wheels.. So, I would guess subtract at least 10% for skilled riders compared to track tests, maybe 25% on average (I'll probably hit 35% at least). But cars should be pretty much the same as what's achieved on the track, so that should put 'em both in the same ballpark..???
post #29 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 04:54 AM

In all the in that article......this floored me the most:

Quote:
If you're driving a car at 70 mph in the fast lane, the swarm will pass you in a matter of seconds. So figure the bikers are going at least 85-90 mph. This reckless disregard of the law and their own personal safety will likely stun and annoy you
disregard for the law? Funny, if you're doing 70 on a Chi-town freeway, you're 15 over the limit......who the fuck is she trying to kid with that crap?
post #30 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 06:47 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Chris,

Nice response to her "letter" Now you know why I hate the expressways, with people like her piloting the freeways, you really want to share a road with them? I wonder if she was the one driving the minivan last Thursday, making a left off of Mudhank on to Higgins, forcing me to take evasive actions so I wouldn't be forced off the road at 50 MPH, oh yes.....she had that damn cell phone stuck to her ear.

Rick

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode