considering not riding? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

considering not riding?

Has anyone considered not riding as a result of Andy's accident? My wife knew I was upset by it and asked me if I was going to still ride. Actually, I've ridden to work every day this week so it was kind of a silly question. And I've had friends killed on bikes but they were drinking. I guess she thinks quitting riding would be an obvious choice since she just sold her street bike after a couple near misses. Andy's accident actually makes me want to ride more because an ACCIDENT can happen anytime. I want to enjoy myself before I "get hit by a bus". But I know people who sold their bikes because of someone elses accident. Just curious how you guys feel.

BTW if anyone is having problems with the acident or Andy's condition and needs someone to tell it to call my cell. (815)236-1627.

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 06:54 PM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

Re: considering not riding?

Quote:
Originally posted by bluebusa60544
Has anyone considered not riding as a result of Andy's accident? My wife knew I was upset by it and asked me if I was going to still ride. Actually, I've ridden to work every day this week so it was kind of a silly question. And I've had friends killed on bikes but they were drinking. I guess she thinks quitting riding would be an obvious choice since she just sold her street bike after a couple near misses. Andy's accident actually makes me want to ride more because an ACCIDENT can happen anytime. I want to enjoy myself before I "get hit by a bus". But I know people who sold their bikes because of someone elses accident. Just curious how you guys feel.

BTW if anyone is having problems with the acident or Andy's condition and needs someone to tell it to call my cell. (815)236-1627.
I was telling someone at the bbq last night that I had never known anyone that had a serious accident on a bike until now. I've been riding for a long time and those things amazingly didn't happen. I have to admit some discouragement and I haven't really felt like riding much lately. I even took it real easy up at Jims this weekend riding in the back instead of near the front where I would usually follow Cherry and Rabbit. The thing I struggle with is I still love to ride. I know the dangers everytime I leave my driveway, but it still burns me up to see that happen to Andy. I'll even be man enough to admit to a few tears reading through some of the post on his accident. I don't think I'll stop riding but I'll tell you after that night I was close. You just need some time to let things sink in and put them in perspective. I seriously think even Andy will ride again if he is able, but if you decide not to that's ok. Sometimes we know the dangers of our actions but block them out until something bad happens and then have to re-visit our thoughts on the matter. But I think thats ok too. I won't rip on anyone that decides not to ride as a result of all this.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 06:57 PM
gulpacoke

Well as you all know I had just been involved in an accident.. Everyone tells me how lucky I was to get hit head on.. I joke and laugh that I was real lucky.. I lost out on a great bike.. But they are right material things can be replaced. Iam riding again .,... no thanks to the insurance company whom as of yet have paid me. but I am out and about.. Andy is a friend but think abou tit.. We ride cause we enjoy it.. well at least I do.. Mistakes and accidents do happen but they are just that.. Accidents.. I will always ride. It makes me feel good...

But thats my own opinion.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 07:35 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

i also made a thread for guy kinda having a hard time right now

https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&threadid=1885

just remember live life, be happy and dont regret anything that makes you happy what ever it might be.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 08:14 PM

Unfortunately, that is the nature of the beast. There is nothing wrong with putting things into perspective and choosing not to ride. Friends and Family are always reminding me of the dangers this hobby possesses. Every phone conversation with my father ends with "Be carefull with that motorcycle shit" (in and old man condescending voice)

I enjoy riding very much and I was telling vivid1 the other night that I think of riding as my therapy. I have spent many of nights gathering my thoughts on a long twisty road out in the country somewhere.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I would not think any less of anyone that re-evaluated there love for this sport. The moment this becomes more stress than fun it is time to move on.

my 2 cents. Be safe all and I will see you on the next ride!!!!!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 10:37 PM
Man with Big Hose

Sportbike: '01 Track only GSXR 600. No more street riding :(
Years Riding: Pick a number between 1 and 10? Opps now 1 and 11
How you found us: Champ91 in 2002

Send a message via AIM to Pugsly Send a message via MSN to Pugsly
If I stopped doing everything I saw happen to someone in the 3 1/2 yyears I've been a paramedic...I would never leave my house! I will ride tommorrow, I will race in some coming weekend, I will drive on the freeway, I will drink a beer, I will mow my lawn, I will climb a ladder, I will use power tools, I will go out in 100 degree weather, I will operate my corded shaver in the shower...oh wait, no I WON"T do that.

I've seen bad tthings happen on everyone of those situations...but like gulpacoke said...accidents happen...

That Boy Just Ain't Right
CCS #414
PARTS411.COM
Lockhart Phillips USA

NESBA #414 Advanced
2001 GSXR 600
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 12:04 AM
Who's faster Lupi

Sportbike: 2004 ZX10R & 2005 CRF50
Years Riding: 20

Cause me not to ride. NO

Rethink how I ride and what I do on a bike. YES.

NESBA #456 Intermediate
Always 1 step ahead of Lupi. 1:24:7 BHF
And 1 step behind Kimmy

"SoB gets to spend yet ANOTHER season faster than me." -LUPI-
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally posted by Champ91
Cause me not to ride. NO

Rethink how I ride and what I do on a bike. YES.
Exactly, I'm fallin less in love with the twisties now and thinkin more and nore about wheelies in industrial parks. These crashes in the twisties are just to risky, first M3 Racer and now Andy.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 09:28 AM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Quote:
Originally posted by GsxrTony

Exactly, I'm fallin less in love with the twisties now and thinkin more and nore about wheelies in industrial parks. These crashes in the twisties are just to risky, first M3 Racer and now Andy.
Don't forget all the crash list that didn't have an encounter with a guardrail, guy wire, tree, cliff, rock, etc.!

Also, it's not the twisties that are risky, it's what you're doing on them.

Dave
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 09:38 AM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

Quote:
Originally posted by BusaDave
I agree also note that a motorcycle is alot safer with 2 wheels on the ground then it is with one

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 09:47 AM

Sportbike: 1998 CR 250
Years Riding: Dirt: 1988 Street: 2001
How you found us: Original Gangsta

Send a message via AIM to MoTo178 Send a message via MSN to MoTo178 Send a message via Yahoo to MoTo178
I will not stop riding. I couldn't if I tried. It is definately therapy for me, and my way of stepping away from everyday headaches. If I didn't ride motorcycles, I'd go nutz. I've been riding motorcycles in some fashion since the third grade. I have had people I know die in accidents even before I started riding sportbikes. I still went out and bought one, and I will still continue to ride it after this accident.

If anything this makes you think more about the things you do on your bike. I know alot of times I get riding in a zone and I push further and further. It's these times (when we're on the street) that you need to realize, that it's not just you and the bike out there. There's cars, theres oil on the roads from cars, theres pedestrians, there's all sorts of shit that you have NO control over, even though you feel as though it's just you and that bike. We aren't invincible and we will break much easier than ANYTHING that we hit if we go down. This latest accident will make me reconsider situations that I'm uncomfortable with. If I don't feel good about something... I'll hang back and play catch up in the straights. If I know the roads, and I know the conditions are good, then I will be pushing with the rest of you psychos.

Sean
NESBA ADVANCED #178

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 11:58 AM

Sportbike: 98' CBR600F3
Years Riding: 10 yrs
How you found us: back in the old days of SBN

Re: Re: considering not riding?

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy
I was telling someone at the bbq last night that I had never known anyone that had a serious accident on a bike until now. I've been riding for a long time and those things amazingly didn't happen. I have to admit some discouragement and I haven't really felt like riding much lately.
same here actually...I've never known ANYONE to crash and be seriously hurt...I've heard stories but never knew the people. I've known Andy since last year and everytime I read about updates, I get all sad inside...I keep thinking is it worth riding to possibly....well you know. It's just somewhat disheartening. I haven't been riding much myself lately and when I do it's usually just on sundays for an all day thing on the highway.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 03:54 PM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Quote:

Don't forget all the crash list that didn't have an encounter with a guardrail, guy wire, tree, cliff, rock, etc.!

Oh I know, Theres plenty of them that turn out just fine. All this shit is just gettin to me, thats all. I'll get over it, I was the same way when Ryan lost his leg.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 04:38 PM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Quote:
Originally posted by GsxrTony

Oh I know, Theres plenty of them that turn out just fine. All this shit is just gettin to me, thats all. I'll get over it, I was the same way when Ryan lost his leg.
I wasn't meaning to point to crashes that turn out fine other than to say that each of these could have also been a problem too had the circumstances been slightly different.

The intent of the post was to suggest less crashes and more riding. Everyone SHOULD reevaluate their riding when these things happen. Learning from mistakes is how we survive!

Dave
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:

The intent of the post was to suggest less crashes and more riding. Everyone SHOULD reevaluate their riding when these things happen. Learning from mistakes is how we survive!
I agree fully. The street definatly needs to be treated less like a race track out there. Even I started to feel invincable out there, but the truth is it is very dangerous to push the linits on public roads. Safe it for the track all. I think i am going to be hittin the drag strip a lot more and just cruisin on the roads. Someday if I can afford track days maybe I'll start hittin those too.

- Ronald Reagan

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 01:41 AM

In 1992 a good friend of my boyfriend's at the time, was riding with some guys from Busse Woods on a Sunday afternoon on 355. He lost control right before the exit. He crashed in to the retaining wall at 70 MPH and the impact threw him over the exit ramp and into the grass. This was a guy we used to ride with all the time. I was on the back of my boyfriend's GSXR 1100 at the time. I still think about this accident. We spent so many hours that whole month at Loyola just looking at this guy lay there in a coma. The doctor's didn't think he was going to pull though. There was too much damage. They had to drill his head to relieve the pressure. Finally after a month he came out of it but he had brain damage. He spent another two months getting back his strength, learning how to walk again. I've seen his life before and seen his life after and I know it only takes a moment to change your life forever.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 05:56 PM

Serious re-thinking in this household...
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 06:57 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Been considering not street riding for the last year. Not due to crashes, but due to harrassment by the local PD, poor drivers and other crap. Just losing interest in riding. Hell was thinking of selling all the bikes and buying a car to race SCCA again. Alot depends on if I get a house with a big garage (prefer a second 2 1/2 car detached along with an attacheched garage).

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 08:48 PM

Sportbike: 2002
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: sbn- ran into 20bikes riding

No. Just got this bike and I plan on putting 50k+miles on it

I think I would go nuts not riding. At worst case I would get a dirt bike or a quad.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 08:56 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

Quote:
Originally posted by Jughead
At worst case I would get a dirt bike or a quad.
I can just see you now on your quad riding down the city streets with all your bling bling on, boom box strap to the back playing eminems greatest hits.
Guys i think we found are next ICY HOT STUNTA!!

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 06:47 AM

Wife and I have decided that the bikes will be sold in the spring. We already have a family of 4 with 2 boys (9 & 10yrs old) and plan on having an addition to the family next year. I just am having trouble justifying having 3 bikes in the garage and never going riding much, as it does not involve the family as a whole.

I also have been thinking about what if something happened to her, or me becouse of riding? If something happened to her, her deadbeat ex would get full custody of both kids (33yrs old, cuts grass for a living, lives in a trailer, you figure it out..haha), and he can't even support himself, let alone 2 boys.

The recient accidents just make me think about street riding more and more, and that the odds are against you out there, no matter how careful you can be.

So, all 3 bikes will be sold in the spring, R1, 900RR, and the Kan-o-tuna. I was thinking of perhaps getting a track only bike, but will have to see on that idea
down the line.

After the bikes are sold, I am going to pick-up a project car to play around with, something to take to RT66 now and then.....figure a 347 stroker motor running
12-15lbs of boost should keep me happy for a while.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 10:50 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

that sucks ass erik...but i know what ya mean..being a parent..REALLY throws a wrench into the risk factor.

on a side note..please keep me in mind when you first dump the bikes...hopefully i got some cash to buy something.

post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 11:22 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time

Quote:
Originally posted by Y2KR1
Wife and I have decided that the bikes will be sold in the spring. We already have a family of 4 with 2 boys (9 & 10yrs old) and plan on having an addition to the family next year. I just am having trouble justifying having 3 bikes in the garage and never going riding much, as it does not involve the family as a whole.

I also have been thinking about what if something happened to her, or me becouse of riding? If something happened to her, her deadbeat ex would get full custody of both kids (33yrs old, cuts grass for a living, lives in a trailer, you figure it out..haha), and he can't even support himself, let alone 2 boys.

The recient accidents just make me think about street riding more and more, and that the odds are against you out there, no matter how careful you can be.

So, all 3 bikes will be sold in the spring, R1, 900RR, and the Kan-o-tuna. I was thinking of perhaps getting a track only bike, but will have to see on that idea
down the line.

After the bikes are sold, I am going to pick-up a project car to play around with, something to take to RT66 now and then.....figure a 347 stroker motor running
12-15lbs of boost should keep me happy for a while.
Keep me in mind to. I may have some cash by then.
oh baby two R1's one street one track

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 01:50 PM

And Tony wants the 900RR as well.....can we get a bidding forum on here like Ebay?
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 03:10 AM

Sportbike: CBR 1000RR "Stinger"
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Hung out here before

Send a message via Yahoo to bnutz24
Kepp me in mind for the Kan - Kan I may be ready for a poser bike to add all the trinkets on just to do 30 mph downtown during the taste of chicago. not to mention I am trying to talk my wife into learning.

'08 CBR 1000rr "Stinger"
Anything you say can and will be used aginst you.....so make it good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode