Health Ins Rant - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
vroom vroom

Sportbike: '05 Z750S
Years Riding: 10 yrs
How you found us: Katanaplanet

Health Ins Rant

I think I can probably straighten this out, but I was wondering if anyone had experience in dealing with this...
Anyway, on my 6/12 accident, the insurance payment info is coming in. they are covering stuff at the first hospital at 100% (it's out of network), but at the second hospital that I was airlifted to, they're only covering 70-80%(it's also out of network). Basically, there were no in-network hospitals that could have taken care of my injuries in the area. I am going to try and follow the appeals process to get this straightened out, but I was wondering if anyone has been through a similar situation and could give me advice.

Here's what just really pisses me off:

The insurance is supposed to cover 100% for emergency purposes whether it's in-network or not. How did my moving to the Madison hospital miracuously improve my condition to make it not an emergency? Also, they expected me to be contacting insurance and doing all this crap when I can barely think on the 12th. How the hell am I supposed to do all that crap?

Anyway, thanks for listening and any advice you have. I hope I can get them to work with me otherwise, I'll be out a ton of $
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 05:21 PM
Tom

Sportbike: 2001 R6
Years Riding: Since 2001
How you found us: old member of sbn

Aside from dealing directly with your insurance company and assuming your coverage is provided through your employment you may want to contact your Human Resource (HR) person and see if they can do anything on their end.

Be persistent with whoever you deal with.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 05:50 PM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Re: Health Ins Rant

Quote:
Originally posted by pitbull76
How did my moving to the Madison hospital miracuously improve my condition to make it not an emergency?
Welcome to the healthcare nightmare!

I'm no expert, but I believe that once you were stabilized and your life was no longer threatened, the emergency nature of the situation was over.

You probably need an attorney for this! Welcome to the reason health insurance is so complicated and expensive.

This is a good example of why someone you trust to be healthcare power of attorney is important, and they must be informed about your coverage to make proper decisions when you cannot. One potential issue: was there another hospital that you could have been sent that is in your plan and able to perform the surgery?

You should review all your other policies to see if some of the out-of-plan expenses may be covered another way. You may end up eating the out-of-plan portion of the expenses.

I would venture a guess that many people are not nearly as well covered as they believe when this kind of thing happens.

Dave
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
vroom vroom

Re: Re: Health Ins Rant

Quote:
Originally posted by BusaDave
Welcome to the healthcare nightmare!

One potential issue: was there another hospital that you could have been sent that is in your plan and able to perform the surgery?

No, there wasn't. My plan only has Illinois hospitals as in-network. It was explained to me that the nearest hospital in my network was too far to be transported. That's why this is such bs.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 06:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Health Ins Rant

Quote:
Originally posted by pitbull76
No, there wasn't. My plan only has Illinois hospitals as in-network. It was explained to me that the nearest hospital in my network was too far to be transported. That's why this is such bs.
Complain to your employer that they have cheap coverage.

You get what you pay for. Sounds like your employer uses a HMO. I CHOSE this coverage when I worked in Illinois because it was cheaper and I rarely get sick. Most of the PPO's offer better coverage but they of course cost more.

It's BS to you, but it's the way the HMO's make money. The HMO's negotiate (leverage) prices for services at certain hospital networks only. Outside of those "networks", the service rates can be 2 or 3 times more, so they make you flip part of the bill.

THis type of negotiating is the same reason drug prices are lower in Canada. THe drug compaines aren't gouging Americans, it's actually the Canadians that are leveraging lower pricing and as a result the companies are forced ot charge hgiher prices in the US to reach their ROI targets.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
vroom vroom

Actually, it's PPO, but they are a pain about in vs out of network. HMO is worse. Anyway, from reading my policy, I should be able to get them to cover at least some of the stuff at 100% because there wasn't a network facility close enough that could handle my injuries (basically my broken femur). I think part of the problem is miscommunication and lack of communication. I'll follow the appeal procedure, and if that doesn't work I may have to see a lawyer.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 06:56 PM
Grammaton Cleric

Sportbike: 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
Years Riding: Since 07-01-2001
How you found us: Google, I believe

Send a message via AIM to MrBusa Send a message via Yahoo to MrBusa
I'd start to line up an Insurance Attorney.

Also, be prepared fight the hospital when the insurance does not pay the bills...They love reporting deliquesces to the three credit bureaus.

-- Matthew --

"I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in the Universe" - Jango Fett
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 10:12 PM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

You also want to look at how your treatment and medications were coded. Sometimes they can be recoded and legitimately be covered.

Dave
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
vroom vroom

Quote:
Originally posted by BusaDave
You also want to look at how your treatment and medications were coded. Sometimes they can be recoded and legitimately be covered.
Thanks for the idea, but most is coming up covered... just at 70-80% instead of the usual 100%. I think (and hope) that most of it can be cleared up because there was not a network hospital within at least 150-200 miles of the accident that could have worked on my injuries. Basically, the first hospital told me I could either go to La Crosse or Madison to get treatment. Neither one is in-network. The way I read the plan documents, they should cover at least some of it at 100%. They may determine that after x# of days, I could have been transferred to Illinois, but I'll see what I can do there. If upon appeal they still won't budge, it'll be time to see a lawyer.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 06:04 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
I'd check your vehicle coverage as well. Do you have medical coverage on your vehicle? When I crashed, I didn't know about the medical coverage on the bike until about 2 months later. Check your statement. You'll know if it's there, it's expensive! My $5000 medical coverage was $60 per six months, compared to $15/mon for similar coveage on the car. The two companies have to negotiate, but generally your vehicle coverage pays first, the other company second.

Check the insurance company's website too. A lot of times they don't keep very good track of who exactly is in network. Also, some type of statement from the doctor saying the airlift to THAT hospital was necessary might make your case a bit stronger.

Good luck. I think I've FINALLY got everything worked out with my accident, and that was last August.

-Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
vroom vroom

Quote:
Originally posted by Grover

Check the insurance company's website too. A lot of times they don't keep very good track of who exactly is in network. Also, some type of statement from the doctor saying the airlift to THAT hospital was necessary might make your case a bit stronger.

Good luck. I think I've FINALLY got everything worked out with my accident, and that was last August.

-Chris
I'll definitely try to get a statement from the doctor(s) st the first hospital for the formal appeal. That should help my case. Thanks.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 09:06 AM
Please attend carefully..

Sportbike: 2000 ZX6R (the green one!)
Years Riding: 2000
How you found us: I've been here a while...

Typically, you need to inform the insurance company or administrator within a certain amount of time after you are admitted for an emergency.

But the main thing to do is document every time you talk to someone - get the time, date, and name of person you speak with, and what they said.

And you may also be able to have it recoded to get in-network emergency rates. I know when I had an MRI done, I was referred by an in-network doctor and had it done at an in-network hospital, but they sent it to an out-of-network place to be read and it took me several attempts to get it recoded as in-network.

Not only that, when I had a routine ear doctor appointment, it took them months to straighten out the fact that the doctor had the wrong mailing address on file to send the bill to so that I wouldn't get "you didn't pay your bill" letters.

"Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it." - JP2

"Life is just a place where we spend time between games" - former Philadelphia Flyers coach Fred Shero

"everyone's a nutjob, some just have more restraint than others" - EndlessRR
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 09:39 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

I've dealt with this before. It's going to depend on who you get when you call the insurance co. I've called them up and explained the situation and how what they wanted me to do was not a reasonable option. They understood and covered it. My boss just had a situation where somebody out of network came in to take care of his wife during a surgery. Turned out because they had no control over that since she was sadated and couldn't choose the doctor at the time, the ins. co covered it anyway.

btw: Dan........nice sig

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode