Interesting helmet discussion - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

Interesting helmet discussion

I took the msf course this weekend, and was talking to a guy and his wife about helmets. Here's what happened. The wife dropped her shiny new harley helmet on the ground, and I made a comment about how she should be more careful with it. The husband said something like no big deal, we don't wear them anyway. After talking for a little more, he told me he was a paramedic, and the wife was an ER nurse. So by now, I'm like what the hell? I asked them if they had seen any bad bike wrecks, and both of them had, and had taken care of riders before. The guy said the only difference between wearing a helmet and not is whether or not it will be an open or closed casket. I told them that I always wore mine, and always would, but didn't argue with them about it. They were real cool people, so I didn't want to argue and piss them off. I was shocked though, that a paramedic and a nurse wouldn't wear helmets, and thought that they didn't help at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 08:12 PM

Sportbike: '09 Yamaha R15, '07 BWM X-Challenge, '05 SV650, (2) '00 VFR, '84 RZ350
Years Riding: 14
How you found us: Speedzilla

I personally love seeing ambulance drivers sitting in their vehicles smoking. Always cracks me up knowing that their next call might as well be for a heart attack or something or other.

btw, did you ask if their opinions changed after the course?

Another thing to consider is how many other living motorcyclist they know.....that might have big part to play in their decision to not wear. They might figure if you are going to crash you're doing to die....might as well feel the wind on your face one last time as you ride out.

Just a thought.

"and yes, I will be serving strawberry shortcake right out of my bikini bottoms. just come on by with a spoon and scoop it out of my ass crack." ill_ag

"Why would I beat someone with a pillow when all I really want is dirty coochy?" ill_ag
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 08:22 PM
Tom

Sportbike: 2001 R6
Years Riding: Since 2001
How you found us: old member of sbn

WOW, itís hard to believe people in their profession have that mentality. Someone needs to start a "crashed helmet" monument where people can contemplate the head trauma that would of occurred without a helmet.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

Oh and this was at the end of the course...just before we took our tests.

The instructor also told them how he's seen people grind down or crack their helmets during a fall, and get up without a scratch. The guy and his wife didn't seem to care...the guy just said that "when it's your time to go, it's time to go." Craziness.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 08:42 PM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Just ask Vcook about what he thinks about wearing a helmet Or Pitbull Those two are with the living cause they were wearing a helmet! Chris walked away with a couple of scratches, Mike wasn't as lucky, but he'll heal quickly. Helmets saves lives, period.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 09:51 PM
vroom vroom

Sportbike: '05 Z750S
Years Riding: 10 yrs
How you found us: Katanaplanet

Quote:
Originally posted by RickC1957
Just ask Vcook about what he thinks about wearing a helmet Or Pitbull Those two are with the living cause they were wearing a helmet! Chris walked away with a couple of scratches, Mike wasn't as lucky, but he'll heal quickly. Helmets saves lives, period.
Amen! Helmets work. Nuff said. If ya don't wanna wear one, that's your choice. Just don't try to convince others that they don't work.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 10:24 PM
Registered Abuser

Sportbike: ATK605,CR250,VTX
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: S.C.M.O.D.S.

I can understand where they are coming from, kind of.
But it seems kind of selfish as well. So one wouldn't be too bothered if the other one died of a head injury while riding? No big deal right?
Maybe if I were a single guy and both parents were dead, I could take that attitude of WTF. But being a father of 2 with a wife at home, and other resposibilities, I wear my lid.
Besides, if I'm dead, I can't annoy people!

Life has no instruction manual. Parts and labor can be impossible to find. Many go down the road with parts that are in need of service. A breakdown is eventual.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 10:42 PM
Work In Progress...

Sportbike: 2005 Harley Night Train
Years Riding: I dunno ?
How you found us: Been around a couple years

Send a message via MSN to BuzByU
Plus... you ever try riding through a rain storm or bug storm without one ? OUCH ! and the bugs going up your nose and down your throat isnt a goog feeling either... just a side thought to the real value of a helmet.

2005 Harley Night Train
2001 Golf GTI VR6 - Super Charged-Intercooler, Nitrous = 305 HP... stage 4 to come soon! .. can you say 400? HP? in a Go Kart!
1999 Ford SVT Lightning - Super Charged @ 600 ponies

Yea I am compensating..

Gregg
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 10:43 PM
I wok!

Sportbike: 2006 felt f65 and a 07 STI
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: wtf is this shit...

yeah for this discussion again....
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 11:11 PM

My view on helmets is, they are so much more comfortable to ride with but as far as safety, it prolly wont matter in a bad crash but a low speed or a crash where you maybe hit your head on the ground, its gonna save you. Too each there own though, doesnt affect me so I am not one to preach.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Heff929rr
they are so much more comfortable to ride with...
not only that, it reduces rider fatigue...they keep you more focused on the ride...without a helmet, your concentration is impared by wind noise, debris, and the fear of losing your hat...always wear yer lid...
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 12:20 AM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

Re: Interesting helmet discussion

Quote:
Originally posted by jimzx9r
The guy said the only difference between wearing a helmet and not is whether or not it will be an open or closed casket.
Whatever makes these dumbasses sleep at night. I swear this is the number one response for people that don't wear helmets that need to justify it to themselves. Any person with an IQ higher than a monkey would know that not all accidents are life-threatening and a helmet is very useful in protecting your head and face from any sort of rash along with any sort of impact short of a run-in with a semi. If you don't want to wear a helmet, that's fine, but don't use an ignorant line like that.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 12:24 AM
Grammaton Cleric

Sportbike: 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
Years Riding: Since 07-01-2001
How you found us: Google, I believe

Send a message via AIM to MrBusa Send a message via Yahoo to MrBusa
I have a friend who crashed and her head hit barbed wire.

I can remember when she brought her helmet into work and showed us all the damage. That could have been her face, but instead it was just the plastic on the helmet that got messed up.

-- Matthew --

"I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in the Universe" - Jango Fett
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 12:32 AM

Let me tell ya, if I wasn't wearing me helmet at the track today, I'd definately have hole in my face, if not ripped the whole ear off.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 01:15 AM

One of the lines that makes me barf is "helmets don't help at over 150 anyways", jeez, I've actually heard that very line... or the old "I'm a safe/good a rider" or the appeal to not being a wus, or the heat, lack of vision (not mental abilities like CrazeInc pointed out) yada yada

And the bug point (and high speed debris) is not to be underestimated: riding at night my faceshield is full in no time, what the heck, how cool is it to wear bug gut aftershave? I can see why some lidless harley guys have such grisly beards

and the people at the MSF course, people have all sorts of inconsistencies (umm fiddy rider to the left, heh), what gets me is when you see people leave the gym after working out and light up a smoke... here's to your health, eh?
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 03:22 AM

whatever... those guys are dumb.. like Rick said: "HELMETS SAVE LIVES"
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 07:27 AM
" It Time To Ride "

Sportbike: Suzuki GSX-R750
Years Riding: 20+
How you found us: Long search for motorcycle clubs online

Send a message via MSN to Justmax
Talking That was dumb of them

I can say that helmet save my jaw and face. I was Cal it was dark hit high curb like idiot. Fell over and my side of my face hit the ground and near the chin area was nice deep line my helmet. It would cost wired jaw and some riped up skin. That was 10 mph accident..ALL I CAN SAY TO THOSE GUYS ASSHOLES.

Were f 'ck lid guys... It just kills me see guy and girl on bike no helmet.: Wear the gear if didn't work they would sell it.

US MARINE CORP
"Semper Fi''

post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 05:09 PM

Here, I'll defend the couple. I have the feeling I know where they are coming from...the same spot I was before I started riding. I too used to think that the helmet would be good for keeping it all inside after the crash, but then you look at the physics of it and realize that it's different. These folks don't watch the moto gp races where the guys fall, but only go sliding across the track. I think they figure that you're going head on into a guard rail or another car out on the road. Let's think about it this way...remember when you were first learning to ride but you thought that it's impossible? Or that being any good on a track was just a dream? See when you haven't witnesses it, you can't fathom the idea...so if they never saw a guy go down and slide on his helmet or just hear a detailed story of it, then they might just not know. Let's think about it from a human aspect...can you picture falling at over 100mph and living to talk about it? No. But it's happened to several guys here (unfortunately for the falling part). Sure we all know that if we go head first into a brick wall at 80mph that it probably won't matter what kind of gear you're wearing, but more often, bike accidents are single vehicle accidents where the rider falls off and possibly clips something but not necessarily. So it's not unreasonable that nice couple who rides at slower speeds on a cruiser hasn't watched races or gone on high speed runs where someone in the group has some sort of problem and is ok because of the helmet. Does anyone kind of get what I mean? It's like with my ex g/f's parents. They've got a 56k dial up connection out in the middle of nowhere (South Dakota) and even though it's very slow compared to most of our standards, they don't know that because they've never seen or used anything faster. The best bet is to do like someone said...show a helmet that's gone down. Show the motogp video of a guy going down at 130 and what happened to his helmet...then show him running to try and get back on his bike and they might change their tune. We learn by example...not by statistics. We learn after the fact in most cases.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 05:42 PM

As far as my opinion goes, I will always wear a helmet now after seeing bluebusa crash ohhh what 3 times in the last couple years. One slower corner by our house that totalled his busa and broke some ribs, to that last track day in april. He mangled his helmet. I cant imagine getting on a bike like we used to. Shorts, t-shirt, no helmet and going soooo fast. It hurts to think about it really. I cringe when I see these girls on the back of these guys bikes and their in flip flops, bikini tops and the cracks of their asses sticking out. I think, Yeah, you look hot now but imagine when all of your skin is peeled off your body and your face looks like your asshole. Wont you be pretty then!!!

Can I ramble on this or what??? I got scared to see my husband go down and get hurt. I sure cant imagine not protecting ourselves if we can. Thats all.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 05:48 PM

Sportbike: 2006 GSXR 1000
Years Riding: stopped counting
How you found us: google?

I still think it's a "being seen" on the motorcycle theory. They want people to see who they are so they'd be recognized as having and riding a motorcycle.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 05:54 PM
Slowass

Quote:
Originally posted by BIGGY
The best bet is to do like someone said...show a helmet that's gone down.
I love to look at Jeff's racing helmet from one of his crashes last year. There's this big RIDGE of a dent that sticks out pretty good.

If I were an MSF instructor, I'd try to get some crashed out helmets from crash survivors to pass around the class...
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 06:04 PM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

I went down without a helmet and scraped almost all the hair off the top of my head. Yeah, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 06:09 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
Quote:
Originally posted by Slowass
If I were an MSF instructor, I'd try to get some crashed out helmets from crash survivors to pass around the class...
that would be a good idea.. even if they only change 0.000000001% of the peoples ideas about helmets

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 06:42 PM

Sportbike: '09 Yamaha R15, '07 BWM X-Challenge, '05 SV650, (2) '00 VFR, '84 RZ350
Years Riding: 14
How you found us: Speedzilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Slowass
Hey Rachel,

Do you have a helmet I can borrow?

"and yes, I will be serving strawberry shortcake right out of my bikini bottoms. just come on by with a spoon and scoop it out of my ass crack." ill_ag

"Why would I beat someone with a pillow when all I really want is dirty coochy?" ill_ag
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 06:47 PM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiecker
Hey Rachel,

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 06:48 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
Quote:
Originally posted by Kiecker
Hey Rachel,

someone get the fire dept... Rachel just go burned!!!

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 06:50 PM

[in flip flops, bikini tops and the cracks of their asses sticking out. ]
Me likey.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 11:41 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

Quote:
Originally posted by SloRoll
I went down without a helmet and scraped almost all the hair off the top of my head. Yeah, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
that'll be my story soon enough
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 12:10 AM

The first time I went down I bumped my head pretty good. If I wasn't wearing a helmet I may not be speaking to you now. 'Nuff said

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode