i need advise with digital video cam recorders. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

i need advise with digital video cam recorders.

ok this is all new to me, my last cam recorder used FULL size VHS tapes

is digital the way to go?
or super 8?

whats what

i want something small something that wont break the bank, i wanna use it for the track, and for other stuff like anything.

can you guys give me some tips where to start at and or some info.

thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 10:32 PM

Sportbike: 07 zx6r, 05 gsxr 1k, 06 Duc 749
Years Riding: 27 years
How you found us: ex member, just been gone for awhile...apex

???? im on the same boat as you are!! ive been wanting to get 1 to mount on my bike or helmet. but with the market flooded with tons of diff stuff, i dont even know where to start. any info would help, and i have to agree that i want the best bang for the buck as far as quality goes

I am what I am, and I do what I do!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 10:41 PM
Let the good times roll

Sportbike: 2005 HD Road King
Years Riding: 30+ years
How you found us: From another web forum

Ody,

Just went through this a couple of months ago. I narrowed it down to format...DVD/DVD-RAM or MiniDV. Went with a MiniDV simply because I did not like how the DVD/DVD-RAM recorders felt in my hand. DVD/DVD-RAM recorders have a form factor that accomodates a round DVD disk you need to get in your Palm. I have big hands but my wife doesnt. DVD recorders are probabaly where the future is at on camcorders though...but Mini DV just was more comfortable. Also MiniDV is a cheaper format to aquire and records longer. DVD records once and is only 20 - 30 minutes on good quality. Once recorded to DVD you can pop it out of the Camcorder and play it in a DVD palyer and view...very nice. DVD-RAM is re-recordable but only a few DVD players will understand them...most PC's not an issue.

The other technology in a Camcorder I looked at was CCD's. I went with the Panasonic 3 CCD technology, and it produces a great picture. Most Camcorders have only one CCD. In a nutshell three CCD breaks the light (and color) up into 3 light spectrums and has "computer chips" to control each of them. Plus the Panasonic Camcorder I chose uses a Leica lenz that is world class. So I went with a Panasonic 3 CCD MiniDV camcorder with built in 1.2MP still camera. I hope this helps.

Shiny side up, rubber side down.

Last edited by Hotwheels; 08-22-2004 at 11:07 PM.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 10:57 PM

Hey Ken,

You may want to talk to Mike at MotoVid. The camera he's shooting the track DVD's with is the same one I'm using and it obviously is mountable to the bike. It's called the Panasonic D-Snap and the quality is excellent. It's able to shoot both still photos as well as video and is only limited by the size memory card you get. He's a computer wiz so I'm sure he can get into more detail about it than me but I gotta say I love it. Size wise it's only about as big as a pack of cigarettes too.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 10:59 PM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

I was just looking at all of the ads today in the paper and man am I lost.

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 11:31 PM
Got my new Ride......

Sportbike: YZ250, GSX-R750 K1, ZX-7R (RIP)
Years Riding: Since I was about 10 yrs old
How you found us: JimGoFast

One big clarification (and maybe its changed or maybe I'm wrong) - when using a digital camcorder, you don't typically record to a DVD or memory card.

Most commonly, you record to a digital tape. I know that seems weird, but a digital tape is just as good as most any other device - yet its cheaper (per GB stored) that other methods.

Its still DIGITAL quality - you then put it on your PC, touch it up (or whatever), then burn to DCD,DVD, etc.. etc...

Think about how much time your PC spends burning a DVD - I don't think I want my camcorder doing all that work while I am recording. Not to mention all the footage that gets cut out, and all the enhancements you make. What I am saying is - record to the cheapest fastest medium possible - and worry about format (via software) later when you do the final cut.

- Sam
NESBA #749
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 11:35 PM
Resident Slow guy

Sportbike: 250x_Dirtbike Triumph_Tripled_955i 90_H-D_Bagger CR80_Mini_Motard
Years Riding: Street_LOOOOOOONG_Time Track Backmarker
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Ohfugit
Quote:
Originally posted by Doctor B
Hey Ken,

You may want to talk to Mike at MotoVid. The camera he's shooting the track DVD's with is the same one I'm using and it obviously is mountable to the bike. It's called the Panasonic D-Snap and the quality is excellent.
which d-snap model ... there are a few

Thanks

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 09:54 AM
Let the good times roll

Sportbike: 2005 HD Road King
Years Riding: 30+ years
How you found us: From another web forum

Quote:
Originally posted by selston
One big clarification (and maybe its changed or maybe I'm wrong) - when using a digital camcorder, you don't typically record to a DVD or memory card.

Most commonly, you record to a digital tape. I know that seems weird, but a digital tape is just as good as most any other device - yet its cheaper (per GB stored) that other methods.

Its still DIGITAL quality - you then put it on your PC, touch it up (or whatever), then burn to DCD,DVD, etc.. etc...

Think about how much time your PC spends burning a DVD - I don't think I want my camcorder doing all that work while I am recording. Not to mention all the footage that gets cut out, and all the enhancements you make. What I am saying is - record to the cheapest fastest medium possible - and worry about format (via software) later when you do the final cut.
...actually you can record to DVD now as well as to memory sticks/cards. Sony, Hitatchi and others have new camcorders that record directly to DVD and DVD-RAM and memory sticks/cards. It is the latest format and probably the future of things to come.

Sony has a model:
Sony 1.0MP Handycam DVD Camcorder with 2.5" SwivelScreen Color LCD Monitor

Model: DCR-DVD201

Small, lightweight camcorder records high-quality video and stills directly onto DVD discs, saving you time and hassle.

Records directly on 3" DVD-R/RW discs for playback on most DVD players, computers and even PlayStation 2 video game consoles

10x optical/120x digital zoom; Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens with multilayer coating to reduce glare

1/5" 1.0MP Advanced HAD CCD imager with 690K effective video pixels (up to 520 lines of resolution)

Here is the web link at Best buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....9&type=product

Shiny side up, rubber side down.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ohfugit
which d-snap model ... there are a few

Thanks
Oops sorry, I guess I should have posted that huh? I have the SV-AV50 which is the first generation model. Shoots 2.1 mp stills and is MPEG 2 on the video. Cost was around $350.00 from Radio Shack but they should be under 300 by now since they've now come out with a second generation. Not sure on the new camera's megapixel but it's shooting MPEG 4 on the video end. Cost I believe is around $950-1000 though. Too steep for this amateur shooter.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 05:50 PM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
My wife just bought a Sony that takes mini DV. When we were out looking the sales guy seemed pretty hot on the DVD style. I like the versatility of tape since you don't have to do a finalization procedure to view it. I also think that portable DVD cameras are in their infancy and need a couple years of development. It has a memory stick for stills as well.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 07:26 PM
Resident Slow guy

Sportbike: 250x_Dirtbike Triumph_Tripled_955i 90_H-D_Bagger CR80_Mini_Motard
Years Riding: Street_LOOOOOOONG_Time Track Backmarker
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Ohfugit
Dr -B how much does the memory card that comes with it hold ?
a few 20 minute mpeg sessions ?? how about the battery ? same

Thanks a bunch

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ohfugit
Dr -B how much does the memory card that comes with it hold ?
a few 20 minute mpeg sessions ?? how about the battery ? same

Thanks a bunch
If I remember correctly I'm using a 128 mb card, which I had from my previous camera, (can't remember what the stock one was or if it even came with one other than what was already internal) which will get you about 140 stills on the camera side at the highest resolution and I think it will get you a 19 or 20 min. video session. Some of the SD cards they're coming out with now are just sick though. I believe I saw one advertised the other day that was around 1.0 gb. I can only imagine what that would do. The stock battery is one of the camera's downfalls however. Not sure exactly how long it will last cause I always have a charger with me that adapts to my power outlet (cigarette lighter) in the car. I have been told that Panasonic is aware of this shortcomming and should have an extended life battery out shortly if not already. I plan on finding out more about this soon though and will let you know what I find. Downloading is almost idiot proof for this thing as well. It comes with a docking station for your computer as well as the adapter cables to run it through your VCR or DVD player so you can watch the videos (or copy them over) right off the camera without having to download them first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode