Riding test tomorrow! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Riding test tomorrow!

Wish me luck, I知 going to take my riders test tomorrow. I知 a little nervous though. I have a tough time doing that slow ass U-Turn. I知 sure I will do fine on the other parts but that U-Turn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 06:12 PM

g'luck man, practice practice, here's a little .02: keep your body straight up and lean the bike a bit into the corner, looking forward (not down) to where you want to end up, that'll help a lot.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 06:13 PM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

Don't forget, if you fall off while doing any of the tests, you fail. It is better to miss the U-turn, then force it and fall off. If you miss the U-turn, it is only 5 points deduction. Good luck! You can do it! (Bella Karole voice).

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 06:16 PM
SICK OF IT ALL

Sportbike: missing my RC51
Years Riding: 9+
How you found us: drove by Strats one night & stopped in

good luck man.--just take your time on the easy stuff so if you gotta put your foot down during the u-turn it wont kill ya...+ just as a side note (even though you won't need it) -if you fail you can park your bike and go get back in line and do it again. you can take the test up to 3 times a day.

Wayne

Standing together
Side by side
Staying true to what痴 inside
United as one, we fight

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 06:17 PM
Rev

Re: Riding test tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragon
Wish me luck, I知 going to take my riders test tomorrow. I知 a little nervous though. I have a tough time doing that slow ass U-Turn. I知 sure I will do fine on the other parts but that U-Turn
What bike are you using for the test? I aced it with a Honda Rebel 250 .. haha

Good luck
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

I just finished the 迭ide Chicago school. I got all the practice I can get before I test. I知 testing at Ride Chicago痴 菟arking lot next to the United Center. They let us use their bikes. Which is nice because that痴 the very bike I have been practicing on. They are nice and small too.

Thanks for the encouragement gang.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 06:23 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

The dreaded u-turn can be done...just remember to keep up speed, and manhandle that bike. It may even be easier for you to do it in 2nd gear, because the bike won't be as jerky. If you tap your foot, its no big deal, it's 5 points off, and you're allowed to miss 20 and still pass. Since it's a private test, do they make you do a single u-turn or the figure 8?

I'm not sure if they still do the panic stop, but remember to always use both brakes, and shift to first before stopping. Not using a rear brake is 5 points off, and not shifting down is another 5 points.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 06:29 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
good luck

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jimzx9r
...If you tap your foot, its no big deal, it's 5 points off, and you're allowed to miss 20 and still pass. Since it's a private test, do they make you do a single u-turn or the figure 8?

I'm not sure if they still do the panic stop, but remember to always use both brakes, and shift to first before stopping. Not using a rear brake is 5 points off, and not shifting down is another 5 points.
If I remember correctly, the instructor said we have to do the following all within the rectangle painted on the ground:

Go straight then execute a 90 degree turn then stop with your front tire in a little white box

Then, do the serpentine (cones spaced 12 feet apart with a 2 foot offset then execute a 90 degree turn then go straight and then execute a U-turn (20 wide or less??)

Then accelerate to at least 12 MPH and do a controlled stop within a predetermined distance

Then finally accelerate to at least 12 MPH and do a swerve.

I think that痴 it.

The instructor told us we could only get 10 points. If we get 11 or more, we fail. Was he BS地 us? I hope so
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 06:53 PM
Rev

Also remember to counter-balance during the U-turn and you'll be fine
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 07:16 PM
Registered Abuser

Sportbike: ATK605,CR250,VTX
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: S.C.M.O.D.S.

Just a U turn? Pfft easy money, don't sweat it.
Remember and use proper counterweighting. Turn your head and look where you want to go.
There are three techniques that work in our U turn box:
1. Cary some speed into the box, squeeze the clutch fully in and make your turn.
2. Make your turn and use the friction zone to modulate your speed keeping a steady throttle position. Probably 2k-3k RPM.
3. If the bike is geared low enough, make your turn and idle through it at idle speed.
I've had students use any of the above an make the figure 8 U-turns with no problem.

Good Luck

Life has no instruction manual. Parts and labor can be impossible to find. Many go down the road with parts that are in need of service. A breakdown is eventual.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 08:39 PM

I took the msf a month ago and it was 20 points...he must be BS'n or you must have heard him wrong, I don't see how they could change the standards considering the state controls licensing. But it is a private course, so who knows.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 09:51 PM

Sportbike: 08 R6 , CRF250R
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: chicagorussionriders

Re: Riding test tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragon
I was also nervous about U-turn . But made it fine. I failed quick stop to my own surprise...
So I guess from my experience you are more likely to fail what you practice the least not what you are afraid the most.

BTW
Ride Chicago was fun
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 10:33 PM
Tom

Sportbike: 2001 R6
Years Riding: Since 2001
How you found us: old member of sbn

Good luck

It sounds like you'll do fine.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 10:34 PM

Sportbike: 2006 FZ1
Years Riding: I only take walks
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via Yahoo to Cougar8000
First of let me say the following.

Why are you people paying money when you can get in into the MSF for free now days with out any problems. YES, I did say get in. I teach MSF and in the past few weeks we can't get people in. Every walk in gets in and we still have room. It makes me sick. This is a fact for the CLC location. I am sure that others are experiensing the same problem.

Now, for your test. For the u-turn. I do u-turn on my FZ, so it should be a snap on the smaller bike. Make sure what ever happens you don't look down. Before you start a run find a stationary object like a tree or a building on the short sides. Like those "X's"
............................_________________
............................I..................... ...........I
X..........................I...................... ..........I..........................X
............................I________________I

And coming into left turn focus on that object at least 6 feet of the ground. Keep in mind at the begining of the turn that object should be behind you. Turn your head as much as you can and keep your eyes there. Ride your REAR brake. Rev the engine and keep it there. Control your speed with the clutch. Bike should be reving and your foot riding the brake. NO FRONT BRAKE UNDER ANY CONDITION FOR THE U-TURN. Put your wait on the outside of the turn and shit your body in that direction. It will force you to lean the bike into the turn. So for the left turn your wait should be on the RIGHT foot peg and your butt hanging off on the right side of the bike.

Good luck.

Alex - Certifiable MSF Instructor
2006 Yamaca FZ1
The truly happy person enjoys the scenery on a detour

A man should choose a friend who is better than himself. There are plenty of acquaintances in the world; but very few real friends.

RIDE for Kids Donations

https://www.mishacycles.com
MishaCycles on facebook
Misha Tactical Arms, Inc

Last edited by Cougar8000; 08-25-2004 at 10:37 PM.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 11:00 PM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
Good luck... My best U came in 2nd gear and lots of clutch. Just don't use the front brake... gravity will take over.

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 09:38 AM

So, how did you do?

2006 Yamaca FZ1

A man should choose a friend who is better than himself. There are plenty of acquaintances in the world; but very few real friends.

RIDE for Kids Donations

MishaCycles on facebook
Misha Tactical Arms, Inc
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 09:52 AM

I hope all went well.

Cougar, what location has room for walk-in's? My GF wants to learn and I said I would try to teach her, but if I can get her into a MSF class before next spring, that would be even better. Any info would be apprieciated.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 09:56 AM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
All locations have walk-ins... just be sure to get there about an hour to an hour and a half early as the walk-ins are based on how many people don't show up for their slot and it's first-come, first-serve. I think they offer them at the College of Dupage and harper college... not sure about closer to the city.

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 11:14 AM

When I just did the MSF, the walk-ins were done by lottery, so it didn't matter who showed up first. My class took two walk-ins. Two registered people didn't even show up on the third day and screwed some people over.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 10:01 AM

As was said ALL locations have a walk ins. I was primarily reporting on the one I teach from, CLC, College of Lake County. This late in the season no one should use an excuse, CLASSES ARE FULL, for not been able to get into the MSF. They are not.

As far as showing up 1.5 hours before the class. If you are planning to do a walk-in, I suggest that you get there by no later then 5:45 PM. This gives you pleanty of time to sign up and catch your breath. It is a lottery and not who is first or second into the door. Don't try to bring your friends and have them collect lottery tickets for you to "increase your chances of getting in". It will actualy lower your chances, because we put a name next to the number and you can't give up your number to any one if you decide not to do the class.

If I may. I would advise you not to teach her by your self. We all have bad habbits that we might have a tendency to transfer while teaching. While in the class I am forcing my self not to show those bad habbits. I don't know about you, but I would not dare to teach my wife.

Good luck.

2006 Yamaca FZ1

RIDE for Kids Donations

MishaCycles on facebook
Misha Tactical Arms, Inc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode