Blagojevich proposes new tollway system - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Tom

Sportbike: 2001 R6
Years Riding: Since 2001
How you found us: old member of sbn

Blagojevich proposes new tollway system

August 25, 2004 Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich wants to make major changes in the tollway system. For some drivers, it would be more convenient. For others, it would cost more. The plan is to eliminate most tollbooths and require drivers to use I-Passes. Those who don't buy an I-Pass would pay off to the side at extra cost.

Full Article
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 09:34 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

Sounds good to me. The tollbooths mess up everything and I've had my IPass for year now, except so mnay people have IPass now that the those lane are getting bad.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 09:40 PM

Sportbike: '08 FZ-1
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to phlflyrsfan
Wow... a plan of Gov Blagojevich that I kind of agree with... that's rare. Ideally we would all like to see the tolls removed completely, but let be realistic and admit that it's not going to happen; so the next best thing is to at least try and make it a little better. I think this plan is a resonable solution. Any half educated person should be able to see that putting a giant stop sign in the middle of the highway is going to cause traffic, at least this plan removes that part of it for I-Pass users... the others will just have to buy an I-Pass or sit in line off to the side of the highway. As a regular tollway user I say any thing to improve traffic is a definte plus.

Phlflyrsfan - Andy

AMA Member
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 09:54 PM

I don't think he'll be in office long enough to see it go through
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Tom

Sportbike: 2001 R6
Years Riding: Since 2001
How you found us: old member of sbn

I-Pass Question:

Does anyone know if they can track and ticket you for speeding, by logging the time it takes you to get from tollbooth to tollbooth?
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by QuickStudy
I-Pass Question:

Does anyone know if they can track and ticket you for speeding, by logging the time it takes you to get from tollbooth to tollbooth?
They haven't started that YET in Illinois, but they do that in other states!
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 10:27 PM

Are you people insane? I'm not going to get an ipass until they shove it down my throat and they are doing just that right now. Here is what's happening, first they are raising prices for people like me by 100%! Second a year or two down the line they will be raising the rest of the prices. Also what about truckers who now pay $1 per toll and it's going to be raised to $4!!!! Nobody cares about this? You think this is not going to be noticeable? Hey did you happen to know that everything is delievered by semi trucks? What the hell are you thinking is going to happen? They are going to avoid the tollways and take the city roads and absolutely KILL us with traffic.

And when truck unions get a hold of this they will strike, or at least I would if I were them. Also those toll "discounts" at night, so do you think truckers are going to just drive at night? It's a bunch of stupid ideas that will hopefully be shut down somewhere in the process.

This guy is pure evil and has done so much damage to illinois that we won't even know it for the next few years. How many companies are moving out of state?! Our taxes keep going up and up and there is no end in sight.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 10:29 PM

Oh and not to mention the fact that someone is going to have to pay for all that road reconstruction and all those wonderful arches that they are proposing. And adding lanes to the highway?! WTF!!! half the roads are falling apart just a few years after being repaved. Someone is making a lot of money and I know whose friends they are.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 11:01 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

You're going to be paying for it one way or another, so you might as well go fast on the highways without stopping. Sounds logical to me. Trucks will still take the highway, it's the fastest way to get from point a to point b over extended distances.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 11:05 PM

IM SO AGAINST THIS.

So they going to make it mandatory. This means a lot of the people who need tollbooth jobs to help support their family are going to loose it. And because they lose jobs, it will eliminate paying wages to people and put more tax money in the govenors pocket to spend.

2nd. This will give our great govenor to tax us for speeding on the highway. They will prob implement GPS on these things too in the future. Id rather pay the 3 dollars then 100 because i went 15 over due to me being tracked by big brother.

3rd. And they were suppose to eliminate toll boths decades ago. That doesn't mean, we can eliminate them now and still charge us for road usage via frequency signals.

The govenor doesn't have to worry. He's a wealthy man. Another way to increase taxes. Same way mayor daily has been doing for years. Not sure why hes still mayor.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 11:26 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

Quote:
Originally posted by oldschoolninja
IM SO AGAINST THIS.
So they going to make it mandatory. This means a lot of the people who need tollbooth jobs to help support their family are going to loose it. And because they lose jobs, it will eliminate paying wages to people and put more tax money in the govenors pocket to spend.
The governor is promising to create 250,000 new jobs and rebuild 90% of the Illinois tollway system over the next decade by widening the main roads-- like 90, 88, and 294; extending 355 by 12 1/2 miles

Quote:
2nd. This will give our great govenor to tax us for speeding on the highway. They will prob implement GPS on these things too in the future. Id rather pay the 3 dollars then 100 because i went 15 over due to me being tracked by big brother.
this is going to happen anyways, it doesn't matter if they tear down the tool booths or not

Quote:
3rd. And they were suppose to eliminate toll boths decades ago. That doesn't mean, we can eliminate them now and still charge us for road usage via frequency signals.
Times change, and so do the highway plans. It's either pay a toll or pay higher taxes. Seems fair to me for the people that don't use the highway as often.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 11:30 PM
Speed Force

Sportbike: 2014 Hayabusa
Years Riding: started at age 19
How you found us: another website

Send a message via AIM to chuckie Send a message via Yahoo to chuckie
Actually everything is not delivered by trucks. the majority of the stuff is delivered by train well in a sence. the trains take the trailers and the trucks pick them up and deliver them locally but alot of the long haul stuff is done by train.

Quote:
Originally posted by aptyp
Are you people insane? I'm not going to get an ipass until they shove it down my throat and they are doing just that right now. Here is what's happening, first they are raising prices for people like me by 100%! Second a year or two down the line they will be raising the rest of the prices. Also what about truckers who now pay $1 per toll and it's going to be raised to $4!!!! Nobody cares about this? You think this is not going to be noticeable? Hey did you happen to know that everything is delievered by semi trucks? What the hell are you thinking is going to happen? They are going to avoid the tollways and take the city roads and absolutely KILL us with traffic.

And when truck unions get a hold of this they will strike, or at least I would if I were them. Also those toll "discounts" at night, so do you think truckers are going to just drive at night? It's a bunch of stupid ideas that will hopefully be shut down somewhere in the process.

This guy is pure evil and has done so much damage to illinois that we won't even know it for the next few years. How many companies are moving out of state?! Our taxes keep going up and up and there is no end in sight.

<--- I'm Chuckie...Wanna Plaaaay???

2k7 honda crv
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CRAZe Inc
[B]The governor is promising to create 250,000 new jobs and rebuild 90% of the Illinois tollway system over the next decade by widening the main roads-- like 90, 88, and 294; extending 355 by 12 1/2 miles

I doubt everyone is going to sign up to be a construction worker. And a lot of these construction workers are "contractors" for the state

Quote:
this is going to happen anyways, it doesn't matter if they tear down the tool booths or not
Why? They are going to force me to use I pass in my 1970 mustang to track my speed? The only way they are going to force this is to make people use I pass or new cars will be tracked via GPS. Which might be seen on OBDIII systems.

Quote:
Times change, and so do the highway plans. It's either pay a toll or pay higher taxes. Seems fair to me for the people that don't use the highway as often.
It doesn't matter either way. They are going to spend the taxes the way they like it. Maybe they can buy back the million dollar helicopter they sold. Or they should build better roads like ther germans do.

Germans build a thicker road which lasts a lot longer and that is why the autobahn hardly sees road work. And the tolls and road repair taxes can be close to nothing if they went to the new asphalt that doesn't crack in 30 years. But they want to build using the same asphalt and concrete that breaks down after a few years so they can continue taxing us extra.

Same goes with mayor daily having garbage trucks being contracted out instead of using the cities trucks. Something fishy going on there too.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Actually everything is not delivered by trucks. the majority of the stuff is delivered by train well in a sence. the trains take the trailers and the trucks pick them up and deliver them locally but alot of the long haul stuff is done by train.

You must not see the hundreds of semis on the tollway. It is going to effect them a lot, and it will drive up the cost of products and services.

Trucks still do a lot of hauling. I got a few trucker friends that haul long distances. Most companies will use their own trains to bring in "materials" and after they have a finish product. Semi trucks are used to deliver it all over the united states.

Freight companies still haul by semi trucks from california to new york, it is a big buisiness.

But this is gonna screw everyone.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 01:02 AM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

You shouldn't be speeding anyway. Someday we will have to face the fact that we as a society have to cooperate with each other i.e. obeying the speed limits.

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 01:08 AM
Speed Force

Sportbike: 2014 Hayabusa
Years Riding: started at age 19
How you found us: another website

Send a message via AIM to chuckie Send a message via Yahoo to chuckie
well lets just put it this way, each train that we run that carries trailers does the work of hundreds of trucks. since each train can carry a few hundred trailers. and when you run 15-20 of these trains per day ... well you do the math

and this is just comming from one railroad.
you still have 4 other major railroads that do twice or more than what we do.

Quote:
Originally posted by oldschoolninja
You must not see the hundreds of semis on the tollway. It is going to effect them a lot, and it will drive up the cost of products and services.

Trucks still do a lot of hauling. I got a few trucker friends that haul long distances. Most companies will use their own trains to bring in "materials" and after they have a finish product. Semi trucks are used to deliver it all over the united states.

Freight companies still haul by semi trucks from california to new york, it is a big buisiness.

But this is gonna screw everyone.

<--- I'm Chuckie...Wanna Plaaaay???

2k7 honda crv
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 01:19 AM
rider for life

Sportbike: CBR1100XX
Years Riding: First let the clutch out in 1972
How you found us: no- you found me

"Germans build a thicker road which lasts a lot longer and that is why the autobahn hardly sees road work. And the tolls and road repair taxes can be close to nothing if they went to the new asphalt that doesn't crack in 30 years. But they want to build using the same asphalt and concrete that breaks down after a few years so they can continue taxing us extra."

There's a lot of truth to that. If you've ever seen a repair crew at work on the autobahn, you'll be amazed to see them up to their shoulders at work on sections- they go down that deep. In our area, corrupt, politically connected ("campaign contributions") road contractors have been caught doing what's known as "short pours": falsifying the computer weighing records for materials, then pouring less than what's called for. They made millions that way, and we all paid for it. Essentially a tax we all paid without knowing it. Google the Palumbo road contractors for more information. A lot of certain connected people "get happy" with road construction in this region- ever notice how road quality is amazingly better in adjoining states that have the same or worse weather conditions than us? Hmmm, wonder why?
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 02:34 AM

im glad sandman knows what hes talking about.

Im going to my jewel osco and wait for the freight train to deliver some fresh milk.

Trains can carry more. Thats plain common sense. But the trains cant deliver stuff to busineses, unless they have their own railyard like most large companies do.

Semi trucks are not going to dissapear and many truck drivers rely on tollways. This is going to effect them just like the private truckers got effected when diesel prices went up. And freight deliver prices went up due to fuel costs.

If you want to get into speeding then that would be another thread/issue. Many people can safely drive at 60mph, but "I pass" is going to fine us 100 dollars because we went 10mph over. It isnt a police officers judgement to let you go or not. Now its a computer saying you broke the law according to certain parameters.

Speed limit is exactly 55mph and the computer will only allow 5mph + or - 5 mph for tolerances due to speedo defects. Otherwise they will be mailing you a nice ticket which is only 30 dollars but 60 of it is court costs and taxes. Someone needs to be making money. I believe dupage county's speeding tickets are something like 20 or 30 dollars but theres 60 dollar hidden fees which makes the ticket really 70-80 bucks.

Another issue is tolls are not going to eliminate traffic. People simply dont know how to drive. 30 minute decrease on the highway,.... big deal. What if someone wrecks or more concrete falls of bridges. Thats usually a few hour wait for clean up. I wonder if theres a toll both on where I-55 exit ramp goes into north 90/94. Because that is always a 2mph speed limit.

Take I-55 past joliet, then the people who live out in farm country know how to drive. Everyone keeps right and if someones driving fast, they get in the left pass everyone.... then get back in the right lane. BTW, theres a lot of semis on I 55 going south.

Its just plain common sense. Toll boths are not going to make rush hour traffic dissapear. 294 and I 55 are always packed. Toll booths do some good. They space out traffic and that leaves a cushion between cars. Traffic happens when people dont know how to use on/off ramps and gun it to 50mph when traffic is 20mph. People need to drive like semi trucks and keep a moderate speed instead of using the gas pedal as an on/off switch.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 08:53 AM
A.K.A Johnny vegas

Sportbike: 2001 cbrf4i (used too)
Years Riding: N/A
How you found us: clsb

I think all toll booths should be shoved up every illinois politician's ass!

They slow up traffic period. The I-pass lane on westbound I 90 by elgin is longer than the manual lanes.

Xbox live- Porsche wolf109
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 09:27 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
Quote:
there should be a national "iPass" that can be used on any tolls. that way people could still travel at no extra cost and w/ speedier times.
hmmmmm, though my inner techno-geek appreciates this my inner Orwellian conspiracy theorist is against it.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 09:34 AM

I still prefer the Indiana toll road system.

When you enter the toll road you stop once only to grab a ticket from an automatic dispenser. You can drive as far down the toll road as you wish without a stop after you get your ticket. When you decide to exit the road there are toll booths towards the end of the exit where people take your money. Based on where you enter the road, you pay more or less. No I-passses to track your speed and where you've been, no stopping in places where you don't need to stop.
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by newrider
They haven't started that YET in Illinois, but they do that in other states!
Well, if it's at the points where you pay the tolls, then I'm guessing that you're not going to be flying through at massive speeds anyway. If they plan on having posts all over the place monitoring your speeds, then you can simply place your IPass inder the seat or somewhere with no reception I would imagine. I doubt that it'll be a big factor. Not to mention...if there's no cameras there it would be difficult to prove. I've taken my dads IPass and/or car. How do you know who's driving and what car they're in? It's never work, at least not with what we have now.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
I still prefer the Indiana toll road system.

When you enter the toll road you stop once only to grab a ticket from an automatic dispenser. You can drive as far down the toll road as you wish without a stop after you get your ticket. When you decide to exit the road there are toll booths towards the end of the exit where people take your money. Based on where you enter the road, you pay more or less. No I-passses to track your speed and where you've been, no stopping in places where you don't need to stop.
Though can't they track you by the amount of time it takes to get through? Meaning that if you make a 30 mile trip in 15 mins, then it would work out that you did about 120mph on average
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 09:42 AM

How did Optimus_P make a post at 10:48PM 8-26-04 when it's only 9:42AM right now?
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 09:46 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
How did Optimus_P make a post at 10:48PM 8-26-04 when it's only 9:42AM right now?

The time stamps from earlier this morning are messed up.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BIGGY
Though can't they track you by the amount of time it takes to get through? Meaning that if you make a 30 mile trip in 15 mins, then it would work out that you did about 120mph on average
They could, if they issued speeding tickets at the toll booths right there on the spot. I don't think they've ever done this.

The ticket you take when you enter the road is just some random ticket.. it's not associated with you, your car or anything else. Once you exit, you give the lady in the booth your ticket and the matching amount of money in cash. It's not linked to you at all.

The I-pass on the other hand, knows exactly who you are.. your SS, your CC number, address ect. And it shows every booth you pass and at exactly what time you were there. It KNOWS that you were the one doing 120 and exactly where you were when you did it. If you did this with the ticket system in IN, someone might feel like taking the ticket and figuring speed based on distance and time, but it would not be linked to any car or any driver in particular.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 10:15 AM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Quote:
Originally posted by whiteSeatEnvy
You shouldn't be speeding anyway. Someday we will have to face the fact that we as a society have to cooperate with each other i.e. obeying the speed limits.

More reasons to get the hell out of this state....
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 10:31 AM

I don't like this one bit, for all the reasons mentioned above. IPasses, National IPasses, speeding tickets based on travel times, etc, etc. What's next, an imbedded GPS chip so big brother knows about our movements 24/7? Stay free people, it's no ones business where I am or where I've been. Sam
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ILHD Sam
I don't like this one bit, for all the reasons mentioned above. IPasses, National IPasses, speeding tickets based on travel times, etc, etc. What's next, an imbedded GPS chip so big brother knows about our movements 24/7? Stay free people, it's no ones business where I am or where I've been. Sam
Right on.

Mandatory i-passes are , even though i currently use one i'd stop rapidly if it were used to track speed, even in my putput cage

it's a matter of increased revenue for their profit exploiting asses and the relatively few people who benefit from the tolls, i mean manually, you pay for each toll you pass through, with ipass, every time your account drops to a certain level, $x is charged to your account, regardless when you will use it, which makes them more money in 2 ways, the threshold total you don't use on the account, and the auto recharge. That may not be a significant amt of $ per person, but totallyed over a large number of people there is a significant increase in money being made over just paying manually, in addition to the fee to rent the ipass sender

lower tolls for ipass users would rock, but would cut profits for da fuks

[edit: optimus your post keeps getting shoved down, weird...]
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 11:41 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Don't worry Be Happy The Democrats will solve all the traffic problems

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode