Metallica review in the Trib - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Head Stepper

Sportbike: TREKK
Years Riding: 9
How you found us: member referal

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate
Metallica review in the Trib

I just thought you might want to read it. I will offer no opinion other than "I told you so..."

__
Metallica's rep can't erase an erratic showing

By Greg Kot
Tribune music critic
Published August 30, 2004

It's not often that a band with 90 million album sales has anything left to prove, but then most bands don't shoot themselves in the foot as often as Metallica.
Band members were hailed by Sully Erna, singer for opening act Godsmack, as "the kings of heavy metal," but Metallica couldn't afford to coast on its reputation in two weekend concerts at the Allstate Arena.
After ticking off even their die-hard fans by suing Internet music file-swappers -- not the smartest career move for a bunch of multimillionaires -- and slipping dangerously close to "Spinal Tap"-like self-parody with a series of albums that strayed far from their thrash-metal glory days, Metallica nearly broke up a few years ago. Singer James Hetfield checked in to rehab, a performance enhancement coach was hired, a shaky studio album ("St. Anger") was made, and a band-financed movie documented every excruciating detail.
On Friday, the sullen men-in-black exterior had given way to a hodgepodge look that made one wonder if these guys had anything left in common besides their paychecks: Lars Ulrich's Leon Trotsky beard, Hetfield's police mug shot hairdo, the Zen-surfer curls of Kirk Hammett, Robert Trujillo's black mane.
But things started promisingly enough. Illuminated only by a ring of light bulbs, they came out fast and nasty on an in-the-round stage, which allowed them to go face-to-face with many of their fans around the arena. "Blackened" evoked the war gallop of old, "Wherever I May Roam" sped up an Eastern riff until it built into a Cossack-dance frenzy, and the crowd jumped in to sing the wordless chorus of "The Memory Remains."
Few bands are better at making a hockey rink feel like a sweaty garage, and Metallica was clearly on a mission to rekindle that old legion-of-outcasts solidarity.
"Did you bring some anger tonight?" Hetfield barked. "This is a safe place to get it out." The headbangers were with him, but their loyalty went only so far -- perhaps because Metallica has become as "safe" as advertised. Their new material went over like a hail storm on the 4th of July.
"Frantic," "Some Kind of Monster" and "St. Anger" never quite gelled: a few promising riffs and stuttering rhythms masquerading as songs. "I Disappear" evoked the lighter-waving formulas of lesser metal bands such as Creed and Godsmack. In one section of the audience, a few fans turned thumbs down and a handful more booed. Having witnessed more than a dozen Metallica concerts since the mid-'80s, this was the first time I'd ever seen dissension in the ranks.
Metallica regained momentum by falling back on vintage epics "Master of Puppets" and "Creeping Death," the sort of four-horsemen-of-the-Apocalypse rides that once made them leaders of metal's new wave.
The audience's chant of the "Die! Die! Die!" chorus on the latter song needed no encouragement from Hetfield, the arena filled with raised fists and beer cups. A half-hearted mosh pit on the floor suddenly became a swarming ant-hive of shirtless collisions.
The gruff ballad "Nothing Else Matters" and the wrenching psychodrama "One" recalled the days when Metallica morphed from speed-metal titans to MTV favorites. Ever since, it's been bigger sales and ever-more problematic moves in and outside the studio.
As the man said, they're still the kings of metal, at least in the sense that they're the most publicly renowned of rock's heaviest hitters. But the band's erratic Allstate performance suggests the crown is starting to wobble.
And for some fed-up fans, the crown no longer fits at all.

<-------- Jeff

Hey baby! You ever been on the back of an expensive sportbike??

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 12:16 PM

I went to the concert! It was just OK! IMAO

But Godsmack was the concert. all in all a good concert. I am glad they played alot of older shit since i cannot stand the new metalica!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 12:18 PM

Sportbike: Squat
Years Riding: More then one hands worth.
How you found us: Your Mother

Send a message via AIM to MM Racing
Man Pirate you just got it out for them. The concert was awesome on Friday and that Trib review doesn't even cover the good parts of the concert. Both nights they played songs that havent been played live in many years. So out of 20 some songs we had to deal with the crap of St. Anger. I think that is still worth the money I paid for the tickets. Also well worth it to hear Disposable Hero live (first time in 9 years), they played Damage Inc and Dyers Eve on Saturday. All the true Metallica fans could care less about the Napster thing.

Ian
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 12:21 PM
-= OuterSpace =-

Sportbike: Yamaha YZ450
Years Riding: too many to keep track
How you found us: Shizzle

Re: Metallica review in the Trib

Quote:
Originally posted by Pirate
I just thought you might want to read it. I will offer no opinion other than "I told you so..."

__
Metallica's rep can't erase an erratic showing

By Greg Kot
Tribune music critic
Published August 30, 2004

And for some fed-up fans, the crown no longer fits at all.
This could of been said years ago I'm one of them.

04 Yamaha YZ450F - Off-Road it, mang
06 Kawasaki BruteForce 750i
09 Yamaha Raptor 700r

- Mike - OldSkool - MC -
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Head Stepper

Quote:
Originally posted by MM Racing
All the true Metallica fans could care less about the Napster thing.
I'm talking about the fact that they sold out. They changed everything that got them where they are today. A music video? Cliff is probably turning over in his grave!!! The old school Metallica rocked, and rocked hard! That's what made them who they are/were. Cliff Burton wanted to keep everything underground, and I think they would be more successful that way today as well. I'm glad you had a good time, but I'm just providing facts that others know the band that used to rock has sold out.

<-------- Jeff

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 12:49 PM
Slowass

Yeah, I remember them saying they'd never even make a music video...although "One" was a classic...But then they went too far and embraced the whole MTV culture.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Cliff Burton wanted to keep everything underground, and I think they would be more successful that way today as well.

You think they would have been more successful if they had stayed underground? That doesn't even make sense. They are one of a very few artists that have gone diamond in sales; underground artists don't even come close to that accomplishment.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Head Stepper

Quote:
Originally posted by Jynxx
You think they would have been more successful if they had stayed underground? That doesn't even make sense. They are one of a very few artists that have gone diamond in sales; underground artists don't even come close to that accomplishment.
I guess I mean successful in having the cult following that they wanted. By no means can you be rich and famous by staying underground... and there's the whole sellout thing again.
But yes, I was talking about them being successful in that sense, of being popular with their cult-like following.

<-------- Jeff

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I guess I mean successful in having the cult following that they wanted. By no means can you be rich and famous by staying underground... and there's the whole sellout thing again.
But yes, I was talking about them being successful in that sense, of being popular with their cult-like following.

I don't think it really matters. Metallica's current fanbase of cult-like followers would far exceed (by the millions) any amount of people garnered had they stayed underground.

And a question for you...who is your favorite bands and who do you consider a modern-day Metallica, ie successful underground rock band?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 01:22 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
Pirate.. when people are waving MILLIONS of dollars in your face.. you would "sell out" too... you can't call people a sell out when you woudl be doing the same..

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Head Stepper

Quote:
Originally posted by Jynxx
And a question for you...who is your favorite bands and who do you consider a modern-day Metallica, ie successful underground rock band?
Well, some of my favorite bands... First of all, I am a HUGE Buffett fan. I don't think he falls under the category of modern day Metallica though. Actually, I don't think there is anything out there that has the same elements of speed into their thrash style of metal. Back in the day, that was one of a kind, and they did it well. They put underground metal on the map.

Some of my favorite bands however include hair bands from the 80's such as Poison and Motley Crue. As far as metal, I do like Cradle of Filth and King Diamond.

As far as the last part, I would say Slipknot is successfull... Not Metallica-esque but popular none-the-less.

<-------- Jeff

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 01:40 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
Quote:
As far as the last part, I would say Slipknot is successfull... Not Metallica-esque but popular none-the-less.
yeah.. i saw them in concert when i was there waiting for Metallica to get on stage.. the 20 people that were actually listening to them thought they were good..

granted they make more money then i will ever make in my life.. congrats to them.. but i don't really think they are an under-ground popular band.

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 02:10 PM
Human lawn dart

Sportbike: 03 ninja 6r 05 ttr-230 04 klx300r
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: I know all

Send a message via AIM to rdrash
Man I remember when "ONE" came out. That's when they started to slide down hill. It was about when MM Racing was about 12 years old.

All the prepies started talking about how Metallica rocked. But when asked to name another song the just shut up.

AH what good times.

Freaking sell outs.

I'm not short. I'm aerodynamically efficient.

Anti Helmet Laws Pro Darwinism
MotoGP 200 mph no roll cage
NESBA # 599
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 02:41 PM
SICK OF IT ALL

Sportbike: missing my RC51
Years Riding: 9+
How you found us: drove by Strats one night & stopped in

Quote:
Originally posted by MoparBoyy
yeah.. i saw them in concert when i was there waiting for Metallica to get on stage.. the 20 people that were actually listening to them thought they were good..

granted they make more money then i will ever make in my life.. congrats to them.. but i don't really think they are an under-ground popular band.

Slipknot

Metallica

Wayne

Standing together
Side by side
Staying true to what’s inside
United as one, we fight

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 02:47 PM
Rev

I agree with Pirate on Metallica being sold-out already.

Talk about a step down from well composed, classic hard-rock/speed metal songs, down to BritneySpears-esque, forgettable songs.

It's a 90's thing, I suppose
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 03:02 PM
Slowass

Cradle of Filth are "sellouts"

Quote:
I do like Cradle of Filth.
This band got called "sellouts" like CRAZY by their cult following when they hit the Ozzfest tour about 4 years ago. Before then, they were only known to a highly-underground black metal fanbase. There are MANY bands just like Cradle who have never reached the succcess that Cradle has because they did not "sell out."

There's nothing wrong with getting rich. Hell, for a band, that means better instruments, better recording capabilities/better sounding albums, more favorable touring conditions, and greater liklihood that they'll be able to continually make music instead of chalking it up, going home and heading for the local factory.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Head Stepper

How has Cradle sold out?

I agree... there is nothing wrong with getting rich. Money makes the world go round. And if you're talented, you should make be rewarded. The problem is when bands change to chase that money. They try to broaden the scope of their fans and try new things that aren't what got them there in the first place. Evolving is part of any good band's path, but to me, it's considered a sell out when they have an established sound, style, and belief but then do a 180 to sound like the next band who's getting more radio play. Getting rich, and selling out are two different things, sometimes blended by a fuzzy line. Some people say the Beatles sold out.

<-------- Jeff

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 04:51 PM
Slowass

People said that Cradle of Filth sold out because they were playing Ozzfest, a quite mainstream festival concert; It's not MY opinion.

I think people idealize the whole concept of being "underground" as a means of sanctifying something with exclusivity, making it seem only accessible to "the select few" , thereby making themselves, the fans, part of this "select". I think this is bullshit. You're not cool or special because you like something that isn't popular. Maybe it isn't popular because it sucks, and therefore, maybe you suck! That's the logic they're promoting.

And how do we know that Metallica changed for the purpose of chasing money? Have you talked to them? Did they say that this is why? I agree that Neo-Metallica SUCKS, but EVERY band evolves.

I'm impressed with how Metallica did have a strong, popular following before being MTV whores. Slayer's another band I'm impressed with in this respect. I mean, not being MTV whores has meant that they play the Aragon and not the Allstate Arena, but they still SELL OUT that Aragon, with virtually NO radio play. This is how Metallica used to be. I doubt Slayer's missing any gourmet meals as a result.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 11:08 AM

I was at both shows, and I think they both kicked ass. The pits weren't all I hoped for (I spent most of the time standing in the middle knockin people over), and I got kicked out the first night on the second to last song!

Regardless, I still think Metallica f*ckin rocks. I've been to every Chicago show since I was in grade school, and they still kick ass every time. They even closed w/ Dyers Eve on Saturday, and I've never heard that song live.

Anyone else on here have floor tickets? Chances are you saw me, and if I bumped into you, sorry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode