Learn about your bike - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Learn about your bike

An idea, which I think has been utilized frequently in the past involved some of the more educated motorcycle enthusiasts holding a get together when the moment hits them to help teach others about bikes. I for one, am interested in learning more, and taking advantage of the skills and resources of the great people on this board. As fall begins to hit and worse weather prevents our riding, I was thinking that this would be a optimum time for people to still get together to have experienced riders teach people how to do work on their own machines. Essentially, whatever your good at...If you have a driveway, garage or spot where people can gather around, it would be a nice way to help eachother maintain our bikes and make sure everyone is doing what they need to PROPERLY to stay safe. Some ideas I had were:

Exhaust install (slip on, full)
Suspension modification (lowering, changing, etc)
Jetting
LCD signals and aesthetics
Timing advancing
Maybe even basic things like oil changes, changing out tires
Prepping for winter storage

an awesome session would be an engine rebuild (of course, not possible in a day), but more of a demo of how each part works together to make your shit go!

If this is something others are interested in, I know I would like to be a part of it... if this already exists, maybe I just missed it. Either way, I invite responses...

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 11:40 PM

I would be interested in something like this - I know I would definetly benefit from this
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 11:45 PM

Sportbike: 07 GSX-R 600
Years Riding: 6 yrs
How you found us: friends

Send a message via AIM to mkurgan
i dont know anything about engines and would definitely go
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 12:11 AM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

You guys should have seen me tear down my gsxr. Putting it back together was a completely different issue.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 12:39 AM

5 year degree in engineering will help you learn how an engine works down to a molecule.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 12:45 AM
Rev

I learned doing stuff in my car first. I teared down and replaced my entire suspension myself (put in better springs) plus other suspension components (swaybars, bushings, etc.).

A good way to learn stuff is by doing it yourself. Start by doing your own oil changes, changing your brake pads, changing spark plugs, air filter, removing wheels, etc.

Working on a car is much more difficult. On a bike, its so much simpler and straightforward.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 02:07 AM
Cali's Twisty Tamer

Sportbike: '96 CBR F3
Years Riding: since 98
How you found us: met at Strat's

Actually, basic things on a car like tire/wheel removal can be more complex on motorcycles, but you have a point. I find, for myself anyway that just doing it is the best education(helps to have a repair manual). But not all people learn that way.This is a good idea for those who may wish to do projects over the winter, but just need a sort of helping hand.

The optimist believes that we live in the best of all possible worlds...
The pessimist fears this to be true.

<----Shane

Shane's Facebook
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Any volunteers to show some skills?

hehehe
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 06:26 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

DJDevo, if you supply a project bike and parts I'm sure there will be people who will show you how to work on stuff. If say you wanted to jet your bike, I'd help you out. Bike stuff gets real easy to do once you actually do it once or twice.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
this is why i've been meaning to take pictures of the processes I go through. i've done a lot of that stuff. I need to start documenting more of it.

Chris
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. D
DJDevo, if you supply a project bike and parts I'm sure there will be people who will show you how to work on stuff. If say you wanted to jet your bike, I'd help you out. Bike stuff gets real easy to do once you actually do it once or twice.
I'd be more than willing to if my bike didn't one, have only 300 miles on it and actually had some aftermarket parts available. Unfortunately, the GS500F is so new (not to mention its a beginners bike and only a 500) that manufacturers haven't bothered at this point to make anything. No jet kits, exhausts, etc. I can't even get the ignition advancer I wanted...
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 07:32 PM
Bop your way home...

Quote:
Originally posted by DJDevo
I'd be more than willing to if my bike didn't one, have only 300 miles on it and actually had some aftermarket parts available. Unfortunately, the GS500F is so new (not to mention its a beginners bike and only a 500) that manufacturers haven't bothered at this point to make anything. No jet kits, exhausts, etc. I can't even get the ignition advancer I wanted...
I am almost positive a jet kit from any year GS500 will work on your bike. I doubt they put any money into developing that motor in the last 10 years. Well except the throttle position sensor, but that was for emissions. Actually I think the bike is almost exactly the same except fot the bodywork as the previous generations. Suzuki parts bin engineering at it's best. This bike gets raced, MUST be stuff out there.

Anyway, just do a search for a GS500 enthusiast site and you will more than likely find exact specs for jetting. Things to look for are main jet size, pilot jet size (this rarely will change), how many shims under the needle and how many turns out on the fuel screw. If you find out the specs you can put together your own get kit for under $10, basicly 2 jets so maybe $6. I'm willing to bet if you go up one size in the jets and 2.5-3 turns out on the fuel screw you'll be running a lot better.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 07:35 PM
Bop your way home...

Did a search, came up with www.gstwins.com, check it out.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 07:39 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

Quote:
Originally posted by Vcook
this is why i've been meaning to take pictures of the processes I go through. i've done a lot of that stuff. I need to start documenting more of it.
shit i could have written a book by now....whoops
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. D
Things to look for are main jet size, pilot jet size (this rarely will change), how many shims under the needle and how many turns out on the fuel screw. If you find out the specs you can put together your own get kit for under $10, basicly 2 jets so maybe $6. I'm willing to bet if you go up one size in the jets and 2.5-3 turns out on the fuel screw you'll be running a lot better.

LOL, thanks for reminding me why I started this thread! hahahah.. Seriously though, that is the type of stuff I would like to know. I have already been surfing on gstwin....emailed a bunch of after market manufacturers and they said no dice and whatever I was looking for...exhaust, jetting, etc... I even asked if I could use things for the GS500 older models, but they didn't comment... (liability reasons im sure). While I agree with you that I could probably use other gs500 aftermarket parts, I wouldn't know how to install them or tweak it if it didn't fit correctly. I would love for you to show me how to fuck with it for $10 ...that would be sweet!
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 09:47 PM
Bop your way home...

Quote:
Originally posted by DJDevo
I would love for you to show me how to fuck with it for $10 ...that would be sweet!
I like wrenching on bikes, mine doesn't need much right now so when I have time I can help you out. Basic jetting will only take 2 hours, well probably longer on a bike I've never worked on but not by much. The only real difference is the little tricks and steps you learn by doing it the first time. Find out what you want to do and get a parts list going and PM me, I've got the tools and space, just have to make a little time.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 07:16 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
What I need help in, is diagnostics, that's when a true mechanic shows this colours, and I suck at it Once I know what the problem is, it's just a matter of reading the shop manual (several times) or the instructions with whatever part your installing, having a comfortable work envoriment, good tools, some patiences and a good buddy to lend a hand. I'm buying all the shit you need to change rubber. I have never done it, but I can read If anyone wants to learn or have rubber put on, I don't mind helping out. And the tools eventually pay for themselves, not only in the dollars but in experience.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
Originally posted by RickC1957
I'm buying all the shit you need to change rubber. I have never done it, but I can read If anyone wants to learn or have rubber put on, I don't mind helping out.
hope this points you in the right direction!

Chris
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 01:52 PM
Bop your way home...

Quote:
Originally posted by RickC1957
I'm buying all the shit you need to change rubber. I have never done it, but I can read If anyone wants to learn or have rubber put on, I don't mind helping out. And the tools eventually pay for themselves, not only in the dollars but in experience.
Sportrider.com has an article (with pics) that instructs on how to change your own tires.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 07:15 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally posted by Vcook
hope this points you in the right direction!

you dork, not that kind of rubber, although the instruction was helpful it's been 20 years since I used one

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode