Computer question... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

Computer question...

Okay i have a ton of programs on my computer and after a lot of adding and removing programs there is obviously a TON of crap on here. My question is.........Is there a way to get rid of all the useless files that seem to be bogging down the computer or is it best to just back up files and reformat the hard drive?

It is running kinda slow and there is a TON of stuff i will have to do. IE...DSL,DVDburn stuff etc.........

Oh yeah it seemed to get real bad after downloading the hot fixes. SP2. Any suggestions?

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I just did the SP2 update a few minutes ago myself. Just go into the add remove programs area. and start taking stuff out.

Then go into the msconfig/startup menu and shut all the stuff down that you dont need running in the backround all the time.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 11:06 AM

Sportbike: AARRRR1
Years Riding: long
How you found us: net

dont mean to be wise ass but this is what you need to do. go back and uninstall ALL the ms updates you have loaded on you macine and then go into the detailed windows components just to revise what you have loaded and remove what you dont need so you avoid downloading fixes for stupis Sh*& you dont need. run xp sp2 again after you have it completely cleaned off goto winfiles.com download the search and destroy utility run it. bet you it'l find atleast 5 exploits you dont know about. after doing all that whuich should take you about 2 hours make sure you have some sort of pop up blocker loaded. go into ie security setting and set the browser security to medium high to avoid futre sh&* from coming down on your machine. then ctrl+alt+del examine what processes you have running look for anything thats a resource hog process=(filename) run a serach for whatever exe is screwing your machine over find the source dir and see if you want it running or not if you do and its taking up too much resources right cllick on my computer GOTO advanced tab and check on whatever is adequate for you workstaion on what you want choices will be

let window shandle performance
best for looks best for background services
and one more i forget what.

whatever i told you to do above you dont need to listen to it all you call the shot on what you think will work best for u
be careful on what you do you CAN fry your software config doing some of the stuff because it is advanced windows twaeking and anything goes dealoing wit MS products

my credentials if your wondering
MCSE nt 4.o
2000 and 2003
i never admit it to anyone though so shhhhh kep it a secret LOL
if you need anymore help on this let me know DO NOT FU*& with regedit32 no matter what the white papers say on MS site. you migt get that prompt when you change some settings

TTYL

hope i can hold onto my license this summer
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 11:10 AM
Rev

What Tony said.

Make sure you run Disk Defragmenter after removing all the crap you don't want. (double click my computer -> right click on hard drive -> properties -> tools -> Defragment now ...)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 11:15 AM

Sportbike: 1983 Honda VFR750, 1992 Honda VFR400R NC30 (track bike)
Years Riding: 30
How you found us: Search Engine

Send a message via Skype™ to GrandpaNot
I agree with the defrag

But6 before you do it also do a hard disk cleanup which should get rid of all you old internet cache and off-line files before the defrag. I also agree with search and destroy (good tool).

Been dere done dat dis dere and de udder ting. OH and whatnot
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 11:35 AM
Resident Slow guy

Sportbike: 250x_Dirtbike Triumph_Tripled_955i 90_H-D_Bagger CR80_Mini_Motard
Years Riding: Street_LOOOOOOONG_Time Track Backmarker
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Ohfugit
the above sounds good. I might use the backup tool that comes with windows and do a backup of the system state files just in case you get a little too happy uninstalling stuff.
start /programs/accessories/systemtools/backup
run the backup /advanced.. choose system state data

this does registry and other key stuff

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 12:04 PM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

www.download.com has programs to clean up those files that are no longer associated with a program. This will free up hard drive space, but I doubt it will have a noticeable effect on performance.

Considering the amount of time it will take to "clean up" your system, you should just format/reload. That is always the best solution. You will have peace of mind knowing your system is running optimally and efficiently.

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode