Computer Question - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Computer Question

After a recent round of retirements, there are a few offices at my work that are empty except for the computers. One computer has a faster processor, more memory, a better cd/dvd drive, and a bigger hard drive. So I was going to switch computers so I could have all that stuff. But, my computer has tons of programs and stuff on it that is not on the new one. I was going to dump most of it on the network and then put it on the new one but that is not working. So my question is, what can I do? I was thinking of switching harddrive's between the two so I could have all the new/better hardware or could I pull the memory and the processor and switch them? The computers are both Dell desktops, old is Gx240 and new is Gx270, so the parts should be compatable right? I dont much about computers, but should be able to handle hardware swaps if i know it will work out in the end. Any ideas or information would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 11:59 AM
Head Stepper

Sportbike: TREKK
Years Riding: 9
How you found us: member referal

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate
Your best bet is to pull the memory and processor and switch them. Good luck with moving the hard drive... It contains things that are motherboard, controller, bus specific. You'll have all kinds of errors in device manager and it will be a nightmare. I would suggest you don't switch out your hard drives. IMHO

<-------- Jeff

Hey baby! You ever been on the back of an expensive sportbike??

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking something like that. I guess if I swap the processor and memory, I will still get most of the new stuff and if I want it all, I can swap the cd/dvd drive too i guess.

Thanks
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 12:04 PM
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
If you have XP on both the hard drive swap is your best bet. If you have any driver problems you can just punch in model number at support.dell.com and download them. Pulling the memory wouldn't be that bad but i wouldn't pull the processor.

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 12:32 PM
Not a regular at SOW!

Sportbike: Honda CBR600 F4I
Years Riding: been riding since 90
How you found us: surfing the web

Send a message via AIM to crash11
Swap both, but make sure the power is on while your doing it. J/K Just swap the hard drives. Although you might have to configure the BIOS for the other drive that your swapping it with.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Os on both computer is windows 2000 professional. Reconfiguring Bios, drivers and other software might be a little time consuming, so I figure I may go with just the memory swap. Why would the processor swap be a prob? Is a special chip removing tool required or something? Thanks for the input all.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
If your running 2000 pro... swapping the hard drive shouldn't be too much of a problem. Windows should have most of the drivers already... The rest you can get from Dell.

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 01:29 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

Or better yet, keep the existing hard drive in the better machine, and just add yours with all of your stuff on it to that one. Then dig up some old harddrive and put it in the other one that isn't being used. That way there won't be any driver conflicts. If that isn't a possibility, just swap them. Windows normally will auto-install all of the drivers you need anyways.

I would not recommend swapping the processors, that isn't exactly the simplest task in the world. Especially when you have to bust out the manual for the motherboard and figure out which dipswitches you have to set for the new cpu speed. And then there's always the possibility that they're different socket sizes and aren't even compatible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode