An open letter to CLSB... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
HRB
Tommy want wingy

Sportbike: 02 Busa
Years Riding: yes
How you found us: you found me... ;)

An open letter to CLSB...

Just a thought. CLSB is a terrific group... no, more like a family. All good individuals with a common love for motorcycling.

However, I find the attitudes here somewhat disconcerting as of late. Threads like "Another idiot dead.."

Really?

I'm 33. I have friends the same age with the same bike. They are good people with good hearts that, on occasion, will ride faster than they should, as many of you will do, if only on occasion. Perhaps in your head, it's Darwinism, or cleansing of the gene pool when it happens to someone we don't know...

I don't ride with full gear everytime. Am I, and my early 30's friends, then squids? Should my parents, friends, or family be subjected to coming across this website and hearing such things about me or my friends if an accident should happen? Take a moment and wonder how your own parents would feel if they should lose their beloved child and read about how it was Darwinism at it's best....

Educate others. Lead by good example to try to make a difference. But threads like this have no place here, or for that matter, anywhere. To think a man lost his life, for circumstances unknown to us, and the concern is whether or not the police will begin to follow groups of motorcycles...

Condolences to the family, and god speed to Ralph Storino.

In memory of Gman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 10:20 AM

Well put... good post.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 10:22 AM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

I was thinking the same thing after looking at the link in that specific thread. The article stated the rider was 34, driving at over 100mph, and wearing a helmet. Those conditions alone don't make him an idiot, but just guilty of maybe making a poor decision. Maybe he was trying to catch faster riders so he wouldn't get lost and hit a pothole or something like that?

Either way I think everyone here is sad to see anyone get hurt/killed, 'squid' or not

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 10:25 AM

Sportbike: CURRENTLY LOOKING
Years Riding: since I was 8
How you found us: The NET is MINE

I am with you 100%. I think his death and condolences to the familes should be priority #1.

Logtar - John

My Blog - @Logtar - Google+
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 10:29 AM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

Condolences to the family, and god speed to Ralph Storino.

Please be careful, everyone.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 10:31 AM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 10:32 AM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
RIP bro... Godspeed.

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 10:34 AM
-= OuterSpace =-

Sportbike: Yamaha YZ450
Years Riding: too many to keep track
How you found us: Shizzle

Another rider down. Another controversy. Many more to come. Stay tuned boys and girls.

I never understood the point of posting about dead riders. Was he a member? no. Do I know him? no. Do I really care if he was doing 100mph? no. Is it going to change the fact that people die all the time doing what they love? no. Why post deaths unless you directly know the person or is a member of the site? I don't get it.

I think we should have a rider down section for all the posts we get on them.

04 Yamaha YZ450F - Off-Road it, mang
06 Kawasaki BruteForce 750i
09 Yamaha Raptor 700r

- Mike - OldSkool - MC -
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 10:38 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

i agree with oldschool.

except for a forum for the mortuaries.

post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 10:42 AM
-= OuterSpace =-

Sportbike: Yamaha YZ450
Years Riding: too many to keep track
How you found us: Shizzle

Quote:
Originally posted by Odysseys
except for a forum for the mortuaries.
I was joking about that... hence the

post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 11:57 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
HRB and OldSchool... thank you for the excellent posts.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 12:36 PM
Not too Slow Not too Fast

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Falco
Years Riding: Too many
How you found us: ApriliaForum.com

Send a message via Yahoo to RSVMillenian
I agree with Old School, however, I partially disagree with HRB. I am the one who addressed the deceased as an idiot, and I am sorry that some of you got offended, however, I am not apologizing for using that word. Do we have to sugar coat everything because it suit the moment? When a gang banger gets killed, his family and friends all claim he was a caring and loving person, however, the individual could as well be a murderer who robbed a cleaning business for 30 dollars and some T shirts. Riding at that speed with as little experience is a voucher for free mortuary services. I am sorry if I have offended any members, it was not my intention, however, I am sick of being Politically Correct.

Dejan
CCS very very Amateur #144
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 12:39 PM
Tom

Sportbike: 2001 R6
Years Riding: Since 2001
How you found us: old member of sbn

Quote:
I never understood the point of posting about dead riders. Was he a member? no. Do I know him? no. Do I really care if he was doing 100mph? no. Is it going to change the fact that people die all the time doing what they love? no. Why post deaths unless you directly know the person or is a member of the site? I don't get it.
I tend to disagree with you on this one. Itís never good to hear about a rider down but itís a good source of ďreality checkĒ. Sure we all know our bikes are potentially lethal, but in the heat of the moment sensibility can go out the window. These tragic stories make me step back (if only for a moment) and respect the power of my bike and reevaluate my abilities.

I personally feel inexperience has been the most contributing factor in many of these latest accidents.

Off Topic

My personal views:

These newer riders need to learn more about the dynamics of bikes and how to control them. I feel I have a whole new understanding about riding after reading and watching Twist of the Wrist and from other riderís advice (like Kenís safety day). Iíve only cracked the surface of what there is to know about riding but feel Iím a step ahead from many riders out there.

Also these younger/newer riders need to learn to ride within their limits. Itís ok if youíre left behind, youíll live to ride another day. There have been many rides where Iíve been out with a group traveling at insane speeds and still fell behind. If you hear a voice in your head saying ďThis is nuts, Iím riding beyond my abilityĒ for Gods sake slow down. If the group is unwilling to wait for you, you probably shouldnít be riding with them anyway. Fortunately the majority of the riders I have ridden with from this board are respectful riders.
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 12:43 PM
Weapons Tech Guru

Sportbike: Borrowed Ones
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: through SBN

Send a message via Yahoo to Ofc. Ponch
Quote:
Originally posted by RSVMillenian
I agree with Old School, however, I partially disagree with HRB. I am the one who addressed the deceased as an idiot, and I am sorry that some of you got offended, however, I am not apologizing for using that word. Do we have to sugar coat everything because it suit the moment? When a gang banger gets killed, his family and friends all claim he was a caring and loving person, however, the individual could as well be a murderer who robbed a cleaning business for 30 dollars and some T shirts. Riding at that speed with as little experience is a voucher for free mortuary services. I am sorry if I have offended any members, it was not my intention, however, I am sick of being Politically Correct.
AMEN BROTHER!

Arrogance has to be earned.
Serve, Protect and Break a ......
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 01:04 PM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

The reason I post about dead riders is because I don't think newbies realize how dangerous it is to ride a motorcycle. I also don't think they realize the effect the loss of their life would have on their families and loved ones.

As far as accidents go, I know when I first started riding, I thought "It will never happen to me". If these posts can get a newbie to wear gear, then I think they serve a great purpose.

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 01:55 PM

You can't necessarily read about an accident and then say "that's an idiot". We've all seen that the media and drivers will tend to skew the accident to look like it's always the bikers fault and make the speeds a bit faster and the story a little more out there. Such as the case with the stunters and the SUV that went off the road. Now if someone goes passed me on the expressway on one wheel then I can see it for myself and say 'oh well, looked cool at least...hope nothing happens, but if it does then it's not much of a surprise'.

I think that we use terms like 'idiot' because we don't know the person. I heard a story years ago of a guy who didn't come down in time from a wheelie and ended up killing himself...in that thread there was no mention of stupidity or anyone being an idiot. We're somewhat two faced, but I don't mean that in a bad way...for example if I come online and tell everyone that I'm very very upset because a buddy of mine died on a bike while learning to do tricks...chances are that it will mostly be condolences and a few people might vaguely comment on the dangers of stunting, but I doubt that I'd see 'idiot' written anywhere. But if it's just some guy out there then we're free to judge and say whatever we like and not in the least feel bad about it. So it's one thing if I'm out there practicing clovers and I go faster and faster and eventually wipe out to say 'well, it's not a surprise...you were pushing your limits and maybe that of the bike so a smaller mistake could have worse consequences' and it's another to say 'that's dumb, you're dumb, you deserve it, etc...'
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
HRB
Tommy want wingy

Quote:
You're comparing a theoretical gang banger death with a motorcyclist that was speeding? Um... ok.

I'm not sure what point exactly you're disagreeing with me. I could care less what's politically correct, I know, in my heart, what's right...

The point of my post. Everyone makes choices and mistakes, but is loved by someone in their life, and rather than judge that person, why not pray for the family and friends for their loss.

But for everyone that wants to cast the first stone at someone who made a mistake, fire away...

In memory of Gman
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I agree with you here. Perhaps people will learn a little from the poor decisions of others. Isn't that part of the reason we post these accidents? I know that when I started riding, if I was a little more fearless, I could have been one of these riders. My first accdent happened on a clased road but was very timely.... shaked some sense into me. I was riding like an idiot some of the time. If I had been killed after loosing control on the freeway at 100+mph... I hope ypu all call me an idiot too.

Little reminder.... cars lose control at high speeds in a straight line becasue they are inherently unstable at high speeds. Motorcyle are the opposite... to lose control, the rider must have been braking very hard, failed to negotiate a turn, collided with something, or hit a very large patch of gravel or slippery substance. We all know this for a fact.

Hopefully most of us have the sense to recognize when we are in a "no exit" situation. Where you are 100% commited to manuavering a certian way and have no ability to slow down or change direction if a last minute course correction is needed.
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 02:26 PM

Dammit....I missed more drama.

To all of you who'd like to live in the Utopian World were everything is honkey-dory, no one ever disagrees w/ anyone, life is always pleasant..........get real.

Life SUCKS.....the only outcome is DEATH. People aren't always gonna see things your way, LIVE WITH IT! You wanna go pout in a corner when someone calls someone else an idiot......go ahead ya big babies.....jeesus, grow a set.

I didn't get to read the thread as it was deleted.........but the jist of it had to be: So and so was doing something he shouldn't have been, riding way to fast at the wrong time, in the wrong place and payed w/ his life. See ya doofus.....next please. To hell w/ being PC......you want to be PC, run for elected office. Don't like what I say, tough! Don't read it.
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 02:34 PM
B.O.B

Sportbike: 'nana.
Years Riding: Look at my join date, ruh-tard.
How you found us: SBN?

Send a message via AIM to EndlessRR
Quote:
Originally posted by taziscool
Dammit....I missed more drama.

To all of you who'd like to live in the Utopian World were everything is honkey-dory, no one ever disagrees w/ anyone, life is always pleasant..........get real.

Life SUCKS.....the only outcome is DEATH. People aren't always gonna see things your way, LIVE WITH IT! You wanna go pout in a corner when someone calls someone else an idiot......go ahead ya big babies.....jeesus, grow a set.

I didn't get to read the thread as it was deleted.........but the jist of it had to be: So and so was doing something he shouldn't have been, riding way to fast at the wrong time, in the wrong place and payed w/ his life. See ya doofus.....next please. To hell w/ being PC......you want to be PC, run for elected office. Don't like what I say, tough! Don't read it.
Are you a cop? All i've got to say is, if it were anyone on here that were to go down, i'm almost positive the word idiot won't even be present in a post. That is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G
No one says you have to get drunk everytime you drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoodles
Isn't that like having sex and not finishing though?
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
HRB
Tommy want wingy

Quote:
Originally posted by taziscool
Don't like what I say, tough! Don't read it.
Ok to pass judgement on my opinion and thoughts on a thread I began, but not ok for me to disagree, even though I've had nothing but respect for threads with a differing opinion?

Your post of respecting others opinions is a little ironic and hypocritical, don't you think?

In memory of Gman
post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EndlessRR
Are you a cop? All i've got to say is, if it were anyone on here that were to go down, i'm almost positive the word idiot won't even be present in a post. That is all.
People on this board HAVE crashed and typically call themselves an idiot.

We however have been good about looking after new riders and have not had one fly into a wall at 120+ because they don't know how to judge or negotiate a turn at high speeds. Our newbies are typcially too scared (as they should be) to ride like that.

After thinking about it a little more... RIP to the poor 600RR. The bike never did anything to deserve that kind of treatment.

After the dust settles... the familes pay, the whole motorcycle comminity pays (emotionally and in insurance premiums), and the politicians add another statstic and story to their arsenal.
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cherrypicker
After thinking about it a little more... RIP to the poor 600RR. The bike never did anything to deserve that kind of treatment.
The friend's post said that he rode a 2002 900RR........................ I'm assuming he was on a 954 then
post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 03:08 PM
YO MAMA

hey GUESS what?

i havent read this whole thread just a few bad comments.

how about this, is someone wants to piss on someone elses feelings, TAKE IT TO PM"S!

other wise, i am about to just close this thread, ALL of you just want to preach about your feelings, and MAKE the world AGREE.

guess what? IT ANT GONNA HAPPEN.

move on, go work on something rather then reading this crap.

post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
HRB
Tommy want wingy

I give up. I'm outta here.

This thread was nothing more than about respecting the dead, their memory, and their families. About how we are all loved by someone, and although we all make mistakes.. but sadly, sometimes those mistakes are irreversible.

Obviously, that has been lost somehow.... And rather than argue the point, I'll just let it go, as I don't know how someone can care about insurance premiums after reading the story from Ralph's friend...

In memory of Gman
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 03:19 PM
YO MAMA

HRB, cause its a cold world bro.

you hit it on the head, just like i am starting to do, just worry about myself, and a few close ones. and fuck trying to change the world by myself.

post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 03:28 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

If you wanna fill up your heart with the pain and suffering of others the rest of your life, feel free to do so. I, on the other hand will not worry about the poor decisions of others I don't even know.
post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 03:29 PM
Not too Slow Not too Fast

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Falco
Years Riding: Too many
How you found us: ApriliaForum.com

Send a message via Yahoo to RSVMillenian
My prayers are with his family and friends. I am done.

Dejan
CCS very very Amateur #144
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 03:32 PM
YO MAMA

lol now crazy lets not get carried away, cause if that was the case alot of your bike trouble and you asking would have never been answered...lmao

love ya bro

just had to poke some fun at ya

post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 03:38 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

I would care if somebody from CLSB would get hurt. But I'm not going to start getting upset over people I don't even know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode